Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake!

Damage in our back yard from the quake:

FamousDC-Earthquake-Devastation.jpg

(I know earthquakes are no laughing matter but I just couldn't resist this attempt at humor.)
    Last edited by devildeac; 08-23-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Damage in our back yard from the quake:

FamousDC-Earthquake-Devastation.jpg

(I know earthquakes are no laughing matter but I just couldn't resist this attempt at humor.)
    That's funny enough that I'm stealing it and putting on FB.
    ~rthomas

I felt it in West Raleigh but it didn't seem to be any more intrusive than a helicopter flying too low or an 18-wheeler a couple of blocks away.

Still, this year we've had tornadoes, long-lasting fires, hordes of locusts, now an earthquake, with a hurricane bearing down. If it's starts raining frogs, then I'm officially worried.

The building I'm in in Boston was shaking. Most people here went outside because we thought the building (a new one) was having some sort of structural failure. 10 minutes later everyone was back to work like nothing happened...
    "Shout out to this clock right here that's telling us what time it is." - Dre

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    That's funny enough that I'm stealing it and putting on FB.
    rt, where do you think it came from? It's been all over FB for hours! Even KDog has posted that picture today!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Jay Bilas tweeted from Charlotte that he felt it. Then he had to do the California native thing like he's all cool and stuff.

The nervous energy has finally subsided. I was worried there for those few moments, I was making a martini but everything turned out okay.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    The nervous energy has finally subsided. I was worried there for those few moments, I was making a martini but everything turned out okay.
    Shaken or stirred?

my son sam and i were sitting in coney island cloo's in raleigh's mission valley when the whole building started to sway back and forth...at first, i thought it was a huge earth moving machinery really close by, but then i realized what was happening...

lasted about 20 seconds...

sheesh..

of course the spokeswoman was on tv within 10 min saying that "everything was fine at shearon harris, but the workers were checking on things"....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I was in my car in Rosslyn, VA and at first I thought my engine had gone kaploot and my car was about to fall apart. Then I figured I was right on top of the metro line, and it must be going underneath.

Then I received a phone call from a customer, and he asked if I had just felt an earthquake, and I went "ohhhhh... so that's what that was!". I felt a little silly.

I was getting ready for work, when my wife who was watching t.v., came out of the guestroom and asked me if I had felt anything. Of course I hadn't and told her she was crazy. No sooner did I utter those words than the phone started ringing and it was one of her girlfriends asking about the earthquake. Needless to say I had to wipe the egg off of my face.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    rt, where do you think it came from? It's been all over FB for hours! Even KDog has posted that picture today!

yes, I realize that now. After seeing it posted on FB a hundred times. Glad I waited.

I am on the 3rd floor in the biology Building and it shook long enough to feel a little queasy. Like I was drunk.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Shaken or stirred?
    Quaken.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I was out buying some water at a C-store, the extent of my hurricane prep for the weekend. Literally. I was putting two cases of bottled water in the car. Mrs. Ozzie stayed home sick today. I got in the car and she called, asking "did we just have an earthquake?" Huh? What you talkin' bout woman? Are you crazy? No, of course not. Hung up. I started the car and the radio came on. The guy on the radio was talking about feeling the earthquake in NY, it being centered near D.C. Oh. I called Mrs. Ozzie back and told her she was right, she DID feel an earthquake. I went to the bank and asked if they felt it? They said yes, the windows shook and the desk in the center shook.

I never felt it. I've never been in an earthquake before and I missed it I don't want to be in a big one, I don't want to be in California when it slides into the ocean. But this one, yeah...
    Yeah...this was my first earthquake too and I missed it because I was in the car moving back to Durham. Boo.

Felt it too...

Felt it all the way down here in Charleston, SC. Hurricanes, earthquakes...I shutter to think what is next.
    devildm
    Duke '03

Quote Originally Posted by devildm View Post
    Felt it all the way down here in Charleston, SC. Hurricanes, earthquakes...I shutter to think what is next.
    Locusts?

Too much fracking, that's what we believe in WV.
    ~rthomas

Correction

Quote Originally Posted by devildm View Post
    I don't see the "edit post" icon anymore, so in the spirit of correct spelling, shutter = shudder (though I may have to shutter my windows).
    devildm
    Duke '03

Red face Snow day in Toronto?

I'm in Arlington Va. I looked out the window and couldn't see a mushroom cloud over DC so I had no immediate worries. We had no damage but a friend in Arlington lost many ceramic pieces. Meanwhile, my son in Toronto reports that they felt it up there and some of his less dedicated colleagues left the building. Of course, they don't get many snow days there so I imagine some are looking for an acceptable reason to leave work!

Felt it in Boston. Just enough that everyone in the office said "Wait, is this an earthquake?". It could just as eeasily been an 18-wheeler with engine problems rolling by.