Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Earthquake!

Sorry, Jason, not a movie remake - it was the real thing. Granted it was a fairly small, 5.8 near Richmond. Still, the biggest I've felt since I lived in LA in the early 90's.

It rattled the house and shook a few things off shelves. And freaked the kids out.

-jk

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

Earthquake in VA

Had a good shake in Philly though nothing like a few I experienced living in San Fran. How was it in the nation's capital, VA and NC?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's amazing to see on Facebook how widespread it was felt. My chair was dancing here at the beach.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Felt it for about 10 seconds in Burlington, NC. Wasn't that strong, though I could see my computer monitor slightly shaking.
    Tom Mac

Definitely felt in midtown Manhattan, New York. I'm on the 41st floor of my building and we were SHAKING. Lots of people emptied into the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    Felt it for about 10 seconds in Burlington, NC. Wasn't that strong, though I could see my computer monitor slightly shaking.
    Interesting because I'm in Rougemont, not that far from Burlington and I had time to leave the office in my home, walk downstairs, through the portico, into the Oval Off...wait a second...no into our kitchen and back outside... lasted maybe 30 seconds here.

Here in Durham, my kids had just walked back in the house and I thought they were just running around on the hardwood floors making my desk shake... then a colleague in DC emailed me and said pictures were falling off his walls. And there you have it. Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Interesting because I'm in Rougemont, not that far from Burlington and I had time to leave the office in my home, walk downstairs, through the portico, into the Oval Off...wait a second...no into our kitchen and back outside... lasted maybe 30 seconds here.
    My wife was at home in Roxboro and said the rapture crossed her mind. I am at a power plant in Virginia and thought the turbine was taking a dump. Lasted around 20 seconds by my estimation.

I was out buying some water at a C-store, the extent of my hurricane prep for the weekend. Literally. I was putting two cases of bottled water in the car. Mrs. Ozzie stayed home sick today. I got in the car and she called, asking "did we just have an earthquake?" Huh? What you talkin' bout woman? Are you crazy? No, of course not. Hung up. I started the car and the radio came on. The guy on the radio was talking about feeling the earthquake in NY, it being centered near D.C. Oh. I called Mrs. Ozzie back and told her she was right, she DID feel an earthquake. I went to the bank and asked if they felt it? They said yes, the windows shook and the desk in the center shook.

I never felt it. I've never been in an earthquake before and I missed it I don't want to be in a big one, I don't want to be in California when it slides into the ocean. But this one, yeah...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I was out buying some water at a C-store, the extent of my hurricane prep for the weekend. Literally. I was putting two cases of bottled water in the car. Mrs. Ozzie stayed home sick today. I got in the car and she called, asking "did we just have an earthquake?" Huh? What you talkin' bout woman? Are you crazy? No, of course not. Hung up. I started the car and the radio came on. The guy on the radio was talking about feeling the earthquake in NY, it being centered near D.C. Oh. I called Mrs. Ozzie back and told her she was right, she DID feel an earthquake. I went to the bank and asked if they felt it? They said yes, the windows shook and the desk in the center shook.

I never felt it. I've never been in an earthquake before and I missed it I don't want to be in a big one, I don't want to be in California when it slides into the ocean. But this one, yeah...
    Yeah...this was my first earthquake too and I missed it because I was in the car moving back to Durham. Boo.

Felt it too...

Felt it all the way down here in Charleston, SC. Hurricanes, earthquakes...I shutter to think what is next.
    devildm
    Duke '03

Quote Originally Posted by devildm View Post
    Felt it all the way down here in Charleston, SC. Hurricanes, earthquakes...I shutter to think what is next.
    Locusts?

Too much fracking, that's what we believe in WV.
    ~rthomas

Correction

Quote Originally Posted by devildm View Post
    I don't see the "edit post" icon anymore, so in the spirit of correct spelling, shutter = shudder (though I may have to shutter my windows).
    devildm
    Duke '03

Red face Snow day in Toronto?

I'm in Arlington Va. I looked out the window and couldn't see a mushroom cloud over DC so I had no immediate worries. We had no damage but a friend in Arlington lost many ceramic pieces. Meanwhile, my son in Toronto reports that they felt it up there and some of his less dedicated colleagues left the building. Of course, they don't get many snow days there so I imagine some are looking for an acceptable reason to leave work!

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    My wife was at home in Roxboro and said the rapture crossed her mind.
    That's interesting...and darn funny if that's how you intended. At the very minimum I can scratch "earthquake" off my bucket list. Finally, something exciting happens in Roxboro!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I felt it here in Creedmoor for about 30 Seconds or so. My chair started shaking and I thought the dog was behind my chair or something. Then the clock and pictures on the wall started shaking. Pretty weird for a bit.

News reports seem to suggest that the shaking was worse north of the center. WRAL newscenter shook so bad they said they evacuated for a few minutes.

durham

Does anybody know exactly what time it hit?

I'm here in Durham and didn't feel a thing ... I guess I could have been in the car???

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Does anybody know exactly what time it hit?

I'm here in Durham and didn't feel a thing ... I guess I could have been in the car???
    Between 1:45 and 1:55...

We were shaking here at 17th and Mass in DC. Fortunately, nothing crashed to the floor - got to keep my Nats bobblehead collection together! Co-workers who were walking outside at the time felt nothing.