Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

They're remaking TOTAL RECALL??

What the heck? Why are they remaking Total Recall? I don't get it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386703/

Of all the sci-fi movies that you could remake, why that one?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post

To get Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel in the same movie? I'd go see a remake of Skyline for that!

Hollywood is officially out of ideas.

The studios already remade Predator. They're making a Blade Runner prequel. And remaking Judge Dredd. But yeah, I think this one is perhaps the most egregious one.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    To get Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel in the same movie? I'd go see a remake of Skyline for that!
    Do we get to see a bad special effect version of Jessica Biel pulling a tracking device out of her nostril?

While many of these remakes confuse me, this doesn't fall into the category of Sci Fi remakes which should NEVER happen. One of those occurred recently with a Keanu Reeves destruction of The Day the Earth Stood Still. Some others that should never be:

1) Blade Runner. Hollywood...just DON'T!
    2) Blade Runner. Really, don't do it.
    3) Blade Runner. Not even if you can get Ridley Scott to helm it
    4 and 5) The Spielberg Chronicles: E.T. and Close Encounters
    6, 7, and 8) The original Star Wars movies. Jedi was no classic, but obviously has to follow A New Hope and Empire...both of which are as close to perfect as they can be and, as Lucas himself proved, do not improve with updated special effects
    9) Alien. Despite the degradation of the franchise by Alien 4 and 5 and the horrendous AvP garbage, I'm terrified that an attempt will be made to remake the original, a Ridley Scott masterpiece of suspense. Will special effects update ever get you a better scene that Captain Dallas in the air vents? NO! That being said, Ridley Scott is currently working on Prometheus, apparently telling the story of the giant alien skeleton found in the crashlanded ship in the original Alien. That could be so cool.

Not quite Sci-Fi, but remaking Conan the Barbarian without Arnold is just wrong to me too. I like Jason Momoa just fine, but I don't want to see a remake of Conan the Barbarian. Now, if you wanted to continue the series with a new installment, I wouldn't as much of a problem with that. He could be Conan Jr. or something, even have an old Arnold as his daddy or granddaddy or something. I also think the Rock would have been better for the role, though maybe he was a little too similar with the scorpion king character.

Suddenly my edit post buttons aren't working. I was trying to add that it was odd that they seem to be remaking all these Schwarzenegger movies.

Also, I wanted to say that he just had this certain distinctive delivery and style (not necessarily great acting, mind you, but they made the roles his) that it's difficult to imagine other actors taking over his roles. He became smoother in his later roles, like True Lies, but it never really went away. I'd have an easier time seeing someone else play Harry Tasker than Conan.

arnold

Interesting that this thread contains strong opinions about remaking several Arnold movies.

Let me chime in: I think Arnold was perfect for Conan, but as good as Total Recall was, I've always thought that he was the wrong guy for that movie. The hero should be a shlub -- thrust into the unlikely role of hero.

PS How long before Carl Weathers becomes governor of Louisiana. After Arnold and Jesse, it seems like everybody on the Predator team is due a stint in the state house.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Interesting that this thread contains strong opinions about remaking several Arnold movies.

Let me chime in: I think Arnold was perfect for Conan, but as good as Total Recall was, I've always thought that he was the wrong guy for that movie. The hero should be a shlub -- thrust into the unlikely role of hero.

PS How long before Carl Weathers becomes governor of Louisiana. After Arnold and Jesse, it seems like everybody on the Predator team is due a stint in the state house.
    If you run for governor in Illinois, you go from the state house to the big house.

$261,299,840 (Worldwide)

Because someone else was already doing a Smurfs movie?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    9) Alien. Despite the degradation of the franchise by Alien 4 and 5 and the horrendous AvP garbage, I'm terrified that an attempt will be made to remake the original, a Ridley Scott masterpiece of suspense. Will special effects update ever get you a better scene that Captain Dallas in the air vents? NO! That being said, Ridley Scott is currently working on Prometheus, apparently telling the story of the giant alien skeleton found in the crashlanded ship in the original Alien. That could be so cool.
    Yup, that one I'm looking forward to, and I wouldn't mind a prequel to Blade Runner either. Although I'm not sure what the story would be, I would guess they could focus on the replicants off-world mayhem. I just think Scott came up with an amazing world/time for that movie; I'd like to see it revisited.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yup, that one I'm looking forward to, and I wouldn't mind a prequel to Blade Runner either. Although I'm not sure what the story would be, I would guess they could focus on the replicants off-world mayhem. I just think Scott came up with an amazing world/time for that movie; I'd like to see it revisited.
    The list of prequels that work is pretty small. You already know that any peril involving the characters who are in the future movie is not real peril as they have to survive. I am not sure a Blade Runner prequel works, at least partly for that reason.

-Jason "Look at this list of prequels... very few quality movies there" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Not quite Sci-Fi, but remaking Conan the Barbarian without Arnold is just wrong to me too. I like Jason Momoa just fine, but I don't want to see a remake of Conan the Barbarian. Now, if you wanted to continue the series with a new installment, I wouldn't as much of a problem with that. He could be Conan Jr. or something, even have an old Arnold as his daddy or granddaddy or something. I also think the Rock would have been better for the role, though maybe he was a little too similar with the scorpion king character.
    I alwaysed loved the first words that Conan spoke in the original movie when asked, "What is good in life?"

Conan answers, "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

But maybe this belongs in the "Butch is Fired" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The list of prequels that work is pretty small. You already know that any peril involving the characters who are in the future movie is not real peril as they have to survive. I am not sure a Blade Runner prequel works, at least partly for that reason.

Thus part of my fear of suck-ti-tude in the upcoming prequel of The Thing. I can't imagine, if they want to do another Thing movie in Antarctica, why not do a sequel. Open the movie with Childs and MacReady's corpses being found, covered in ice, thaw them out, and let the mayhem begin. Oh well, if the reviews are decent, I'll be giving The Thing a shot despite the questionable prequel decision.

Mods: any chance of removing anywhere between 1 to 11 question marks in the thread title? Just a thought.

i'm up for just about any remake...the screenplays have a chance to be good, but there are other pieces to the puzzle that have to be completed AS WELL as the screenplay...

blade runner prequel ? Eh...

total recall? i thought the first one was awful, but only because of the rubber masks and some of the actors...

we will have to see..
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Thus part of my fear of suck-ti-tude in the upcoming prequel of The Thing. I can't imagine, if they want to do another Thing movie in Antarctica, why not do a sequel. Open the movie with Childs and MacReady's corpses being found, covered in ice, thaw them out, and let the mayhem begin. Oh well, if the reviews are decent, I'll be giving The Thing a shot despite the questionable prequel decision.
    Bing-freaking-go!

I heard they were doing The Thing and I was so excited. When I heard it was a prequel, I was so bummed. We know how this turns out. Frankly, I would much rather see a remake that completely re-imagines it. Of course, the greatness of the original was the notion that anybody could be The Thing and you had no way of knowing. They can certainly preserve that in a prequel, so maybe it won't suck royally.

But prequel history is really, really bad.

--Jason "many remakes are good -- Oceans 11, The Departed, Father of the Bride, I Am Legend, The Mummy, Three Men and a Baby, The Bird Cage, The Fly, and others" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

--Jason "many remakes are good -- Oceans 11, The Departed, Father of the Bride, I Am Legend, The Mummy, Three Men and a Baby, The Bird Cage, The Fly, and others" Evans
    One of the best remakes I can think of, going off-genre, is Jet Li's Fist of Legend. It's a remake of Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury, arguably Jet Li's best movie (arguably...Hero, Fearless, OATIC 1 and 2, and others are also in the discussion), and Jet Li does an amazing job of transitioning mid-fight into Bruce Lee's inimitable style. The final fight with the Japanese general is incredible. Even if you're not a martial arts fan, it's a worthwhile watch.

Best remakes...we could get into a whole other topic again!

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Mods: any chance of removing anywhere between 1 to 11 question marks in the thread title? Just a thought.
    What do you have against question marks? I've seen thread titles with far more question marks and exclamation marks than I had here. What's it hurt?

Of course, with Blade Runner, you could do it with a mostly different set of characters and kill off 99% of them.