Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Doug Gottlieb Re-Education Camp?

Anyone else here think that announcer Doug Gottlieb -- he of the "alarmingly unathletic" quote -- has been sent to a Communist-style reeducation camp to get such heresies out of his head? He must broadcast three consecutive Duke games, two from a Communist country, and say nothing but nice things about Duke, the players and Coach K.

I think he is making excellent progress, but the proof will be in the regular season.

sagegrouse

His commentary today has been excellent, superb even. Specific, detailed, in more than a few instances Knight-like in its inside-the-real-game insights.

Maybe when he's actually dealing with the intricacies of the game his knowledge comes out, compared to his attempts at cleverness in studio.

"Alarmingly unathletic" aside, I've always felt that Gottlieb has gotten a bad rap from Duke fans. I think more often than not he evaluates us fairly.

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    "Alarmingly unathletic" aside, I've always felt that Gottlieb has gotten a bad rap from Duke fans. I think more often than not he evaluates us fairly.
    This is the truth. In 2010 he was the only one to mention how good Zoubek had become. I remember in his podcast mentioning that how big and bruising our bigs were and that this was a different Duke team. I really think he changed his opinion after watching us throughout the year. He also had us going to the championship game that year in his bracket. I'm pretty sure he was the only ESPN guy to do that.

Back At It

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    This is the truth. In 2010 he was the only one to mention how good Zoubek had become. I remember in his podcast mentioning that how big and bruising our bigs were and that this was a different Duke team. I really think he changed his opinion after watching us throughout the year. He also had us going to the championship game that year in his bracket. I'm pretty sure he was the only ESPN guy to do that.
    Well he is back at his old ways. He just tweeted that we probably don't have an NBA guy on our roster. My count has a quite a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    Well he is back at his old ways. He just tweeted that we probably don't have an NBA guy on our roster. My count has a quite a few.
    I would be shocked if none of these guys make it in the NBA, and I expect all of them to spend at least some amount of time on a roster. I'm calling it too soon to tell for the freshmen, but I wouldn't rule any of them out either.

Miles
    Seth
    Mason
    Kelly
    Andre

i think quite a few may be an exaggeration, but ignoring austin (projected lottery pick for 2012) is probably a huge mistake.

He's counting on a multi-year lock-out.

I wonder if he would have said Harrison Barnes isn't an NBA player during the early part of last season.

Quote Originally Posted by wk2109 View Post
    I wonder if he would have said Harrison Barnes isn't an NBA player during the early part of last season.
    To be fair to Gottlieb, he did say this:

Did u watch the two games?I was asked about Duke, I am not sold on Rivers right now, plenty of time to change that
    http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/GottliebShow/~cR8lG

Frankly, though, I think jumping to any conclusions after two exhibition games is misguided. If the first game was televised in which Rivers shot over 50% and had 18 points, Gottlieb might have a different opinion. Posters on here have jumped to conclusions after the Blue-White scrimmage in the past (Shav, Zoubek), saying those players will be dominant and starters and then it doesn't turn out to be the case. I expect Rivers to be really good some games, but inconsistent, as most freshman are. Obviously, the potential is there though, he just needs to cut down on mistakes.

Apparently, Coach K has given Andre the "Red-Hot Green Light" this year. I had a good laugh as Doug frantically tried (in vain) to save that one.

I don't know what his problem with Austin is, but he's giving him a way harder time than he deserves. I wish people would just drop the "I want to destroy Lebron" comment. I'm sure we're all tired of hearing about it.

Also, he still hasn't learned to call the Chinese players by their surnames after following 3 games (and calling 2 of them). Pathetic.

I was wondering when this lovefest for Dougie was going to end.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I thought Gottlieb was great. People are too sensitive about stuff like this. The guy gives his honest and usually-educated opinion as an analyst. When he thought Duke looked bad (e.g., against Arizona State when we looked unathletic) he said so. When he thought we looked good (e.g., his praise of Zoubek and picking us to go to the championship game later that same year) he said so. He's just very opinionated (which is part of his job) and very brash.

As a play-by-play guy, I think he's fantastic. He actually pays attention to the game. He actually discusses the merit (or lack thereof) of calls made throughout the game, and he's almost always right. He actually provides wit and humor. And he actually provides insight into the game being played. I think he's the best color commentator I've seen in a while. Better than Knight, who has forgotten more than I'll ever know about the game, but is getting less sharp at analyzing the actual game being played. Better than Bilas (who is getting too preachy for me). And obviously better than the other guys who are really bad (Elmore, Vitale, etc).

What's up with Gottlieb criticizing Gbinije for fouling a guy shooting a three-pointer when the replay shows it was a horrible call? Gottlieb first said it was a "low IQ play," then after watching the replay he backtracked and said "he didn't leave the ground and just had his hands up, but you shouldn't even stand close enough that the shooter can kick his legs out into you." Seriously?

If you really want to get your blood boiling, go to the NCAA vault and listen to Billy Packer's commentary of our 2001 final four game against Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    What's up with Gottlieb criticizing Gbinije for fouling a guy shooting a three-pointer when the replay shows it was a horrible call? Gottlieb first said it was a "low IQ play," then after watching the replay he backtracked and said "he didn't leave the ground and just had his hands up, but you shouldn't even stand close enough that the shooter can kick his legs out into you." Seriously?

If you really want to get your blood boiling, go to the NCAA vault and listen to Billy Packer's commentary of our 2001 final four game against Maryland.
    Not Gottlieb's best moment of commentary on the game (probably his worst). He was otherwise really good about noting when the replay clearly showed it was a bad call. That one he fell into the commentator trap of committing to one story line on a play and not bending enough when the replay clearly shows you're wrong. It's one of my pet peeves, and he usually didn't make that mistake.

In fairness, he was hinting that it was an unusual mistake for Gbinije (he had referred to Gbinije as a high-IQ player when he said that was a low-IQ play). He just didn't adjust enough to say that it wasn't really a low-IQ play once he saw the replay.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Not Gottlieb's best moment of commentary on the game (probably his worst). He was otherwise really good about noting when the replay clearly showed it was a bad call. That one he fell into the commentator trap of committing to one story line on a play and not bending enough when the replay clearly shows you're wrong. It's one of my pet peeves, and he usually didn't make that mistake.

In fairness, he was hinting that it was an unusual mistake for Gbinije (he had referred to Gbinije as a high-IQ player when he said that was a low-IQ play). He just didn't adjust enough to say that it wasn't really a low-IQ play once he saw the replay.

He acknowledged that the shooter kicked out his legs and performed a "Reggie Miller" to draw the foul call and said that sG shouldn't have gotten close enough to allow him to draw the foul through a somewhat deceptive tactic similar to a flop or a Punter falling down to draw a roughing to kicker penalty. There was nothing biased or even inaccurate about what he said IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    He acknowledged that the shooter kicked out his legs and performed a "Reggie Miller" to draw the foul call and said that sG shouldn't have gotten close enough to allow him to draw the foul through a somewhat deceptive tactic similar to a flop or a Punter falling down to draw a roughing to kicker penalty. There was nothing biased or even inaccurate about what he said IMO.
    I completely agree that there wasn't any bias intended from Gottlieb (I've been one of the ones defending him). Although one could debate whether or not Gbinije was so close to the player as to even had it be a reasonable "Reggie Miller" call. You still have to close out on defense - sometimes the officials miss the call.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I don't see how he could have even pretended to contest the shot from any further, hard to criticize the defensive player on that play.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't see how he could have even pretended to contest the shot from any further, hard to criticize the defensive player on that play.
    I agree; announcers criticize Duke shooters all the time for kicking out their legs and trying to draw a foul. Scheyer got called out on it all the time. Now when we're defending we're supposed to stand so far away that the shooter has space to do that? I personally don't think it should be called a foul when the shooter initiates contact like that, and I can't blame a defender for trying to get a hand in his man's face.

Anyways, with that said I'm not really all that sour on Gottlieb. He's critical at times but also can be complimentary of Duke. His "alarmingly unathletic" comment didn't really bother me all that much because to be honest there was some truth to it.

I think it would be hard to call the games in China. I think announcers try to avoid bad mouthing the officials, but in these games you would really have to bit your tongue. The officiating was laughable, literally I was laughing out loud at the calls. Now had this been an ACC game I would not have laughed, but what could one do??

I liked the way that the Duke kids just rolled with the bad calls (for the most part, Dawkins needs a little work in this area IMO). Glad Gottlieb and the world got to see a game where a team really did get "all the calls", not that I think it will do much to change the anti-Duke crowd's opinion.