Page 67 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    I'm inclined to agree, but the Great Lakes drain into the Atlantic.
    I think we should add the University of Minnesota-Duluth. It's about time we upgraded Hockey, and they're the reigning DII champions in football, so they could probably beat Duke and Boston College.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    I'm inclined to agree, but the Great Lakes drain into the Atlantic.
    A few years ago, Chicago was deemed to be on an arm of the sea and so qualify to compete for the America's Cup. Of course, the Swiss were, too.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    While I did say before the ND to the Big12 is a pipe dream, the Big12 does offer one thing for ND football if they ever want to join in all sports: They would likely keep their NBC deal. Not getting that in the ACC or B10.
    I just drool over the possibility of adding ND to the ACC, and I think Notre Dame (and the ACC for that matter) does place a lot ov value on a school fitting well into a new conference in terms of academics, culture, 'good fit' for non-revenue sports, and similarities of student bodies (ND draws a lot from the NE). I'm just hopeful that some of the many ACC contacts with ND connections, such as Gene Corrigan and our own AD, can push the ACC to being a little creative in giving ND some desired flexibility WRT their TV deal, etc. Maybe it would be to allow them to "feather in" their FB team into the conference gradually (for example: 4 conference games in year one, 5 games in year two, 6 games in year three, etc) and for them to maintain the NBC deal for all of those non-con games...

But culturally and academically, I just don't see a good fit between ND and most Big12 schools. And for those who've argued that the ACC would represent too much travel for ND, w/o doing the calculations I'd have to guesstimate that the average Big12 travel distance for ND is the same or more than the ACC. So maybe it could come down to a tug of war over their desire to maintain FB indie status (and the money that entails) versus the school's desire for a good cultural and academic fit (and eastern exposure).
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    As of right now, every U.S. state represented in the ACC is actually part of the "Atlantic Coast" (if, like me, you count the Delaware River running pass Philadelphia as part of the "Atlantic Ocean").

If the ACC goes from 14 to 16, I'd like to keep it that way if possible. I'd add Rutgers but not Louisville, for example. Of course it doesn't really matter; I'd just think it'd be cool if the conference can continue to retain the truthiness of its name.
    I hear ya. But it will be mostly about money. If a school like Rutgers or U-con represents a good (Atlantic) geographic fit, but a school like ND represents 2-3 times more incremental money to the conference, then does ANYBODY think they go with geography, really?? Besides, as stated above, ND really is a great cultural and academic fit - much more so than either Rutgers or U-con. (I used to live in NJ & NYC and think that Rutgers, especially, whould be a hard fit into the ACC, but U-con wouldn't be entirely "comfortable" either. )

Well, Don't Forget Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    A few years ago, Chicago was deemed to be on an arm of the sea and so qualify to compete for the America's Cup. Of course, the Swiss were, too.

-jk
    Apropos of absolutely nothing, I would like to point out that, thanks to Sen. Patrick Leahy, Lake Champlain is legally designated to be part of the "Great Lakes."

The 6th Great Lake

Senate Bill 927 which reauthorizes the Sea Grant Program was signed by The President of The
    United States on March 6th, 1998 making Lake Champlain the 6th Great Lake.

Lake Champlain on March 5th, 1998 became recognized as the Nation's Sixth Great Lake, with the signing, by President Clinton, of Senate Bill Number 927. The bill itself re-authorizes the Sea Grant Program (to study the environmental issues concerning the Great Lakes), but with a line item entered by Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vermont, the Bill makes Lake Champlain one of The Great Lakes. The newly aquired status allows Vermont Colleges (as well as other neighboring institutions) greater eligibility to apply for Federal Grants to study the Lake's ecological and historical impacts.
    I am sure the Big east, with its enormous political clout, would be able to do something similar to get its eventual membership classified as Eastern Colleges.

sagegrouse

Last edited by Duvall; 10-28-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    At this point I'll believe it when I see it. But good.

Also, I think it's more Dodds/Powers 2, Boren 0.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    At this point I'll believe it when I see it. But good.

Also, I think it's more Dodds/Powers 2, Boren 0.
    It's really time for Texas and Oklahoma to get divorced. Doesn't make sense to stay together just for Iowa State.

Official - WVU to join Big 12.

Interestingly, the Big 12 seems to expect WVU to join next year. So much for 27 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Official - WVU to join Big 12.

Interestingly, the Big 12 seems to expect WVU to join next year. So much for 27 months.
    The ACC, SEC and Big XII are going to "negotiate" with the Big East to make all this happen next year.

The Big XII and ACC want their Big East teams in 2012. The Big XII won't let Mizzou go to the SEC without getting WVU without paying some exorbitant exit fees, and the SEC doesn't want to play any seasons with 13 teams if it can avoid it.

I wonder if the Big East can be assuaged with a guaranteed BCS bid through 2015 once they raid CUSA. If I am the BCS and ESPN (not the conferences), I might try to kick Big East out now if they don't cooperate -- or at least threaten it. I assume there is some kind of material adverse effect "out" that some smart lawyers can issue spot there way to some kind of credible and immediate threat on the Big East's guaranteed spot.

If I'm the Big East, I am very careful about going into battle on this one.

Also - it should be noted in the Big XII press release that Mizzou is not mentioned in the list of 10 teams to compete in 2012.

If I am the BCS and ESPN (not the conferences), I might try to kick Big East out now if they don't cooperate -- or at least threaten it. I assume there is some kind of material adverse effect "out" that some smart lawyers can issue spot there way to some kind of credible and immediate threat on the Big East's guaranteed spot.

If I'm the Big East, I am very careful about going into battle on this one.
    I believe there is some kind of provision that can get a conference kicked out of the BCS guarantee if it does not have a team ranked in the top 15 in the BCS standings... or something like that. Someone needs to do some research on that

-Jason "something will be worked out to get these schools to their new conferences sooner than the Big East wants" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Amusing typo in paragraph 32.

There is exactly 1 reasonable claim there (that the commissioner accepted payment in agreement that uwv be allowed to leave)...this agreement is curiously not included here...but it would be interesting to see what it says

most of the rest of it is simply fluff...throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks...a good part of their argument says the league failed to maintain an 8-8 ratio, which the league bylaws did not stipulate....or that the league breached their contract by failing to enhance the football league...none of the rest of the accusations will be meaningful...the one that the big east was trying to effect public policy was downright laughable
    April 1

Wow, what a shoddy complaint, even contains a typo (#32 listing uCon as departing instead of Syracuse). Bet WVU paid big bucks for that crap. Note it is the 27 months and not the $5 mil departure fee at issue.

It is interesting that the 27 months was waived for TCU. Have the by-laws changed since VaTech, Miami and BCU joined the ACC? I don't remember whether they had a waiting period.

I didn't remember the Big East kicking Temple out of the conference

"The departure of members Pittsburgh, UConn, and TCU created an imbalance and disparity between the football and non-football playing schools"

UConn departed already? You'd think that they'd proofread this carefully. It's only 14 pages after all.

Edit: People above beat me to it again! I need to keep my responses short to get it submitted first.

"The Big East has failed to satisfy a number of its fiduciary, and other, obligations owed to WVU under the Agreement...the Big East has also failed to maintain and enhance the level of composition of the Big East football conference, in violation of the Agreement..The actions and inactions of the Big East and its Commissioner, as described above, constitute material breaches of the Agreement, thus relieving WVU of its own obligations under the Agreement and excusing WVU from any further performance of said obligations..WVU has suffered damages."

I'm not a lawyer - anybody know how long something like this should take to get resolved by the courts? I'd think getting it down by next fall is pushing it, but who knows. I'd think if WVU is released without penalty, 'Cuse and Pitt will follow suit. It's somewhat interesting that 'Cuse and Pitt were both like "we'll respect the Big East bylaws and adhere to the 27-month departure out of respect for the member institutions." And WVU is like "hell no! We're outta here!" (Not that I blame them.) And the Big 12 also indicated in their press release, a 2012 join date even though they knew it was against BE bylaws, while the ACC press release stated no such thing. Just a very different approach.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Wow, what a shoddy complaint, even contains a typo (#32 listing uCon as departing instead of Syracuse). Bet WVU paid big bucks for that crap. Note it is the 27 months and not the $5 mil departure fee at issue.

It is interesting that the 27 months was waived for TCU. Have the by-laws changed since VaTech, Miami and BCU joined the ACC? I don't remember whether they had a waiting period.

I didn't remember the Big East kicking Temple out of the conference
    27 months wasn't waived for TCU. TCU was never a member of the Big East and therefore weren't subject to the rule. WVU is getting out this year even if they have to kick in another $2MM or so in the exit fee.

27 months wasn't waived for TCU. TCU was never a member of the Big East and therefore weren't subject to the rule. WVU is getting out this year even if they have to kick in another $2MM or so in the exit fee.
    I had thought the initial reports were that the Big East wants an additional $16 million. Instead of the normal $5M exit fee, they said that WVU can leave immediately if they pay $21M.

If this is the best argument they have, it's going to be more like $20 million.

It's a lot more than that. Just before this all happened the big east raised the exit fee to 10 mil. That's 10 mil AND 27 months....so you're looking at at least double that to get out early.

This is why I question the "given" that pitt and cuse will be in the ACC next year. It'll take some BIG money.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    It's a lot more than that. Just before this all happened the big east raised the exit fee to 10 mil. That's 10 mil AND 27 months....so you're looking at at least double that to get out early.
    Nah. The Big East exit fees will only double if Navy or Air Force join, which hadn't happened yet, and more importantly, hadn't happened by last Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I had thought the initial reports were that the Big East wants an additional $16 million. Instead of the normal $5M exit fee, they said that WVU can leave immediately if they pay $21M.
    I am sure the Big East wants way more than the exit fee, but it will be negotiated down. As poorly drafted as the complaint is, it has some pretty good arguments (unfortunately diluted with some pretty poor ones). This is not a slam dunk for the Big East, and if they want to "move on" and keep their auto-bid, they will need to play ball.

There are 3 conferences (SEC, Big XII, ACC), a cartel (BCS) and two sports networks that want this to happen now. The Big East is outgunned, frankly, and if Nebraska and Colorado can sneak out of their exit fees, I think WVU will get out of this with maybe just a little on top of the $5MM exit fee. If the Big East plays hardball here, they are out come the next BCS contract. Bank on it.