Page 63 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I don't see this happening. First, according to the current rules, a conference can only have 1 auto bid, no matter how big it is. Second, while there are definite criteria for a new conference to earn auto bid status, there is no process for stripping one of its AQ status. This could lead to a big legal mess if the Big East on it's own is stripped of this status. The rules could change entirely after the contract ends in 2013, so who knows what would happen then, but I can't see the Big East accepting this before they find out that new rules would work against them. Third, a conference like this would need the NCAA to change some of its rules to work as well. Right now, NCAA (not BCS) rules, dictate that the maximum number of games in a year is 12. Conference title games are given an exemption to this rule, but only if the conference meets certain criteria. Most people are aware that one of them is having at least 12 members. The other, though, is that the conference must be split into two divisions each of which play a full round robin. Unless the BE/MW/CUSA could drum up enough support for an NCAA rule change, that conference would not be allowed to hold any conference championship event. It's certainly an interesting idea, but I doubt it would ever be feasible.
    I agree with your assessment. While it does seem like a creative idea, I think it shows how possibly desperate these conferences (MWC and Conf USA) to get into the BCS AQ system as well as prevent their teams from leaving and jumping into the Big East.

I don't see this happening. First, according to the current rules, a conference can only have 1 auto bid, no matter how big it is. Second, while there are definite criteria for a new conference to earn auto bid status, there is no process for stripping one of its AQ status. This could lead to a big legal mess if the Big East on it's own is stripped of this status. The rules could change entirely after the contract ends in 2013, so who knows what would happen then, but I can't see the Big East accepting this before they find out that new rules would work against them. Third, a conference like this would need the NCAA to change some of its rules to work as well. Right now, NCAA (not BCS) rules, dictate that the maximum number of games in a year is 12. Conference title games are given an exemption to this rule, but only if the conference meets certain criteria. Most people are aware that one of them is having at least 12 members. The other, though, is that the conference must be split into two divisions each of which play a full round robin. Unless the BE/MW/CUSA could drum up enough support for an NCAA rule change, that conference would not be allowed to hold any conference championship event. It's certainly an interesting idea, but I doubt it would ever be feasible.
    With four divisions, you would obviously need a two round playoff. But, the first round could be folded into the regular season by giving everyone an opponent TBD date at the end of the year which gives all teams a cross-divisional game, one of which is a divisional playoff. Might require minor tweaking of the rules, but it is definitely feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    With four divisions, you would obviously need a two round playoff. But, the first round could be folded into the regular season by giving everyone an opponent TBD date at the end of the year which gives all teams a cross-divisional game, one of which is a divisional playoff. Might require minor tweaking of the rules, but it is definitely feasible.
    There would still need to be a definite change in the rule because it only provides for championship games in conferences with exactly two divisions and requirement that there is a full round robin within each division. Whether or not you want to call it a "tweak," it would have to be voted on and go through the entire process of any other rule change, and since it would benefit no one else, I don't see why other schools would agree to it. For reference, here is the exact text of the rule.

17.9.5.2 Annual Exemptions. [FBS/FCS] The maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following:
    (Revised: 10/28/10)

(c) Twelve-Member Conference Championship Game. [FBS/FCS] A conference championship game
    between division champions of a member conference of 12 or more institutions that is divided into two
    divisions (of six or more institutions each), each of which conducts round-robin, regular-season competition
    among the members of that division;

Also, whether or not the NCAA rule gets changed, for this to be feasible, the new BCS rules (or whatever comes next) would have to (a) strip the Big East of it's rights as an AQ member (otherwise there is no incentive), and (b) be formulated in a way that is friendly to include this super-ultra-mega conference. I doubt that the other 5 conferences would just let this happen. Finally, even if all these things fall into place, this plan could be completely obsolete in a couple of weeks depending on what Mizzou and the Big 12 do. I always like these out of the box plans, because its this type of thinking that moves us forward, but this one ain't happening.

There would still need to be a definite change in the rule because it only provides for championship games in conferences with exactly two divisions and requirement that there is a full round robin within each division. Whether or not you want to call it a "tweak," it would have to be voted on and go through the entire process of any other rule change, and since it would benefit no one else, I don't see why other schools would agree to it. For reference, here is the exact text of the rule.
    Letting 32 schools share one lousy AQ, which is presumably the one the BE is currently holding, isn't much of a benefit. So, I don't see why they wouldn't agree to it.

Of course, a much better rule change would be to get rid of the BCS entirely, a have an 8 or 16 team playoff. Then the 32 team conference would serve no puropose whatsoever.

But with regards to the BE, perhaps it would be better for the BE to merge with CUSA for football.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    As they have a TV contract that depends on having 10 teams next year, the B12 seems at least as likely.

As they have a TV contract that depends on having 10 teams next year, the B12 seems at least as likely.
    Another Texas school in the Big XII? That would be really surprising, though I guess anything's possible if they are really desperate to have a tenth team for next season.

WVU to Big12 as MIzzou heads to SEC?

According to these pair of sources, admittedly of questionable legitimacy ...

http://www.leatherhelmetblog.com/201...ge-day-36.html

http://www.mrsec.com/2011/10/mizzou-...meeting-today/

The Big12 Board of Directors meeting is currently underway in Dallas which may shed some light on things...

On a side note, I feel like the Big12 is a more stable conference at 12 schools than 10. If they elect to stay at 10 for whatever reason, I feel like the ulterior motive is Texas and OU making it easier to jump ship down the road...With a conference title game in football a 12 team Big12 should be able to get enough money to make it a very stable conference for the foreseeable future

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Another Texas school in the Big XII? That would be really surprising, though I guess anything's possible if they are really desperate to have a tenth team for next season.
    Yes, it would be surprising. But not as surprising as Houston to the BE all by themselves, without SMU, Central Florida, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by senkiri View Post
    On a side note, I feel like the Big12 is a more stable conference at 12 schools than 10. If they elect to stay at 10 for whatever reason, I feel like the ulterior motive is Texas and OU making it easier to jump ship down the road...With a conference title game in football a 12 team Big12 should be able to get enough money to make it a very stable conference for the foreseeable future
    I tend to agree that the conference would be more stable at 12, but the CCG doesn't make up for the smaller slices of pie everyone would get. There aren't 2 teams (like A&M and MIzzou to SEC) that would open up the networks coffers enough to renegotiate the contract -- not even Louisville and WVU.

Big XII is still making a strong, albeit IMO futile, push to keep Mizzou. Houston WILL NOT be the 10th team. Theoretically, they could end up as 11 or 12 if the Big XII does go to 12, but I doubt it. I imagine the Big XII will look at BYU one last time to see if they can work something out, and if not, go after WVU or Louisville, then stand pat.

After Mizzou, no other Big XII team is going anywhere at this point.

Yes, it would be surprising. But not as surprising as Houston to the BE all by themselves, without SMU, Central Florida, etc.
    I would be willing to bet SMU and UCF are going through the same process right now; Houston is just the first to go public.

SMU's a private school, they might be able to just act without much in the way of public notice.

Quote Originally Posted by senkiri View Post
    According to these pair of sources, admittedly of questionable legitimacy ...

http://www.leatherhelmetblog.com/201...ge-day-36.html

http://www.mrsec.com/2011/10/mizzou-...meeting-today/

The Big12 Board of Directors meeting is currently underway in Dallas which may shed some light on things...

On a side note, I feel like the Big12 is a more stable conference at 12 schools than 10. If they elect to stay at 10 for whatever reason, I feel like the ulterior motive is Texas and OU making it easier to jump ship down the road.
    I'm not sure it's an ulterior motive. A 10-team league with no championship game means an easier path to an undefeated season, and I think Texas and OU have been pretty vocal about liking that idea.

If Missouri leaves, West Virginia to be invited to Big XII "shortly" thereafter.

Shortly after Missouri officially announces it is withdrawing from the Big 12, West Virginia will be extended an invitation to join the Big 12, college football industry sources told CBSSports.com.

The Mountaineers will be the latest to leave the Big East Conference. Pittsburgh and Syracuse are leaving for the ACC and TCU will join the Big 12 next season.

If West Virginia informs the Big East of its intention to leave before the league adds Navy or Air Force, the Mountaineers would only be held to a $5 million exit fee. If the Big East has added Navy or Air Force, the Mountaineers would have to pay $10 million. Either way, the Mountaineers would not be able to leave the Big East until June 30, 2014 – the same time frame as Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

West Virginia to the Big 12 is already a done deal, according to the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/sp...tml?ref=sports

lives near a number of big white buildings
    So according to the Times article, that leaves the Big East with 5 football programs: Rutgers, Louisville, South Florida, Connecticut and Cincinnati. And the Big East is attempting to add "Air Force, Navy and Boise State in football and Houston, Southern Methodist and Central Florida in all sports. With West Virginia gone, the new team most likely to emerge as a possible member would be Temple."

Given that some of the remaining 5 football programs have made it clear they want to leave the Big East to go to another conference (and I suspect up to all 5 might feel somewhat similarly), why would the proposed new additions want to move to a conference where future instability and loss of a conference bowl bid loom? I don't think the Big East can round up all 7.

I'm also puzzled by Connecticut's actions throughout all this. It is clear that they aren't wanted by the ACC now. And they might not be the "other" school granted an invitation when and if ND ever decides at whatever point to join the ACC. Wouldn't U-CONN be better off leaving the Big East now--for the same reasons the other potential Big East invitees might feel insecure about joining--and trying to join the Big 12 or USA or whatever. If they really can bring the NY market as they claim, one of those conferences other than the ACC might be interested in having them. Better that for U-CONN than being left on the sidelines.

It just seems to me like the Big East may well be done as an ABQ or otherwise meaningful football conference. Is U-CONN really so poorly run that they can't see what the future likely holds?
    Last edited by SmartDevil; 10-25-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    So according to the Times article, that leaves the Big East with 5 football programs: Rutgers, Louisville, South Florida, Connecticut and Cincinnati. And the Big East is attempting to add "Air Force, Navy and Boise State in football and Houston, Southern Methodist and Central Florida in all sports. With West Virginia gone, the new team most likely to emerge as a possible member would be Temple."

Given that some of the remaining 5 football programs have made it clear they want to leave the Big East to go to another conference (and I suspect up to all 5 might feel somewhat similarly), why would the proposed new additions want to move to a conference where future instability and loss of a conference bowl bid loom? I don't think the Big East can round up all 7.

I'm also puzzled by Connecticut's actions throughout all this. It is clear that they aren't wanted by the ACC now. And they might not be the "other" school granted an invitation when and if ND ever decides at whatever point to join the ACC. Wouldn't U-CONN be better off leaving the Big East now--for the same reasons the other potential Big East invitees might feel insecure about joining--and trying to join the Big 12 or USA or whatever. If they really can bring the NY market as they claim, one of those conferences other than the ACC might be interested in having them. Better that for U-CONN than being left on the sidelines.

It just seems to me like the Big East may well be done as a football conference. Is U-CONN really so poorly run that they can't see what the future likely holds?
    I don't think UConn has a better option. As bad as the BE is, they have a better shot at holding their bid than C-USA has of getting a new one, especially if they lure some other teams. I doubt the Big 12 is interested in going that far east. Their best bet is to try and hold the BE together for now and hope an invite to the ACC or maybe the Big Ten comes somewhere down the road.

Uconn not wanted by the ACC?

Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post

It just seems to me like the Big East may well be done as an ABQ or otherwise meaningful football conference. Is U-CONN really so poorly run that they can't see what the future likely holds?
    Just out of curiosity, what makes you think the ACC doesn't want UConn? Have you read something that stated that because from previous accounts and links posted, Uconn was strongly considered to be the Big East school invited to join the ACC with Syracuse. Moreover, Uconn has the support of schools like Duke and MD for entrance into the ACC; and according to links from previous posts, UConn could very well be the 15th or 16th school if the ACC decides to expand again (unless PSU decides to leave the Big 10; or Texas ditches their LHN; none of which are likely to happen). And if the ACC is waiting on ND, I imo would think that UConn would prefer Big East football to implode sooner rather than later so that it might force ND to make a conference decision; which in turn could lead to an invitation to the ACC much sooner.

UCONN has begged the ACC for an invitation to join, and the league has declined to offer one. For that we can be grateful.
    In fact the BC athletic director was quoted a week or so ago about how delighted he was that UCONN was not being invited. (UCONN sued BC when BC left for the ACC, and considerable bad blood exists there).
    It was big news in CT and I read a long article about it in the Mystic paper.

I'd much prefer adding North Korea than UCONN, but maybe that's just me.

I think the ACC holding at 14 teams for the time being makes sense. It guards against the possible loss of a team or two to the SEC (not that I think that's very likely) and
    it allows the league to contemplate options for 15th and 16th members, such as Penn State and Notre Dame. It's a much better strategy to rebuff UCONN and Rutgers
    and see if there's any chance (clearly debatable) of luring PSU and ND.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what makes you think the ACC doesn't want UConn? Have you read something that stated that because from previous accounts and links posted, Uconn was strongly considered to be the Big East school invited to join the ACC with Syracuse. Moreover, Uconn has the support of schools like Duke and MD for entrance into the ACC; and according to links from previous posts, UConn could very well be the 15th or 16th school if the ACC decides to expand again (unless PSU decides to leave the Big 10; or Texas ditches their LHN; none of which are likely to happen). And if the ACC is waiting on ND, I imo would think that UConn would prefer Big East football to implode sooner rather than later so that it might force ND to make a conference decision; which in turn could lead to an invitation to the ACC much sooner.
    I agree with this. My sense is that the ACC is patient and willing to sit at 14 teams for a bit, in part because ND is still out there. UConn, despite the gut dislike from many Duke fans, would increase the level of play in several sports and bring part of the NYC/CT/New England market.