Page 47 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    of course. that is why one says it that way. emmert perceives what he perceives, but his perception may not be accurate. doubt is always implied, because the perceiver is fallible. indeed, if we were talking about a witness in a trial, his perception is open to doubt.
    And, if there is no room for doubt, the word "perceived" should be dispensed with. N'est pas?

from the USA Today article:

From dictionary.com

So what is it about the word 'perceive' that I misused? I was using the word to describe what Emmert said. And he said the conference movements were leaving the impression that money was the driving factor.

It doesn't matter whether Emmert's conclusion is correct. He thinks it so, based on his observation. So he "perceives" the conclusion in the same manner that the dictionary defines the word.

So -- what's the misuse?
    Jim, my comment was a whimsical quote from The Princess Bride, as a way of saying that the greed is actual and not just a perception. Aimed at the NCAA, not you. Sorry if my aim was fuzzy.

You absolutely described his quote correctly. Emmert is dense if he thinks it is only an impression that money is the driving factor -- it is the one, sole, unifactor.

(And I am sure unifactor isn't in the dictionary first -- y'all heard it here first! ;>) ).

from the USA Today article:
    So what is it about the word 'perceive' that I misused? I was using the word to describe what Emmert said. And he said the conference movements were leaving the impression that money was the driving factor.

It doesn't matter whether Emmert's conclusion is correct. He thinks it so, based on his observation. So he "perceives" the conclusion in the same manner that the dictionary defines the word.

So -- what's the misuse?
    I assumed "perceived" was taken from the article, so my intent was to make fun of Emmert.

The greed is downright tangible.

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    And, if there is no room for doubt, the word "perceived" should be dispensed with. N'est pas?
    now you're talking about a couple of things. remember, i used perceived in my description of what emmert had said. emmert did not use the word 'greed.' i did. and, don't forget, one often uses the 'perceived' language, due to that doubt, with mild cynicism.

so, being mildly cynical, i described emmert's measured language as if he had noticed people saying the conference jumpers were being greedy--deliberately overstating his point. there is a measurable difference between greed and being driven by money. when i injected my own slant into the mix, speaking of his perception--and his eschewing the use of greed--i used 'perceived' as a signal that things were not as they appeared.

so, if you think he meant greed or you think he meant money-driven, and no room for doubt, then you are correct. but, if you think that he didn't say what he meant then there is room for doubting his words as stated. Or, if you think, without reference to emmert, that greed is what this is all about, then you are redefining the terms altogether, ignoring his pulled punch, ignoring my cynicism and misunderstanding how the use of the 'p-word' can be deliberately manipulated to make a point. it could have been used ambiguously, seeming to refer to emmert, but with the injection of a little derision by me, could refer to my perception of his perception.

gosh, i hate over-parsing what i had thought would be easily understood as a multi-level mock. and, i can only type one-handed for a few weeks, so all lower case looks dumb.

oh, well...

gosh, i hate over-parsing what i had thought would be easily understood as a multi-level mock. and, i can only type one-handed for a few weeks, so all lower case looks dumb.

oh, well...
    "stewardesses" is the longest normal word you can type with just the left hand. "reverberated" is up there, too.

(I'm a Southpaw so can't help if you are non-leftdexterous. Hope you recover from whatever is temprorarily ailing).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "stewardesses" is the longest normal word you can type with just the left hand. "reverberated" is up there, too.

(I'm a Southpaw so can't help if you are non-leftdexterous. Hope you recover from whatever is temprorarily ailing).
    thanks for the good thoughts. tore my left bicep. bled within the muscle; entire arm very swollen. looks like a two week minimum before i get it back.

thanks for the good thoughts. tore my left bicep. bled within the muscle; entire arm very swollen. looks like a two week minimum before i get it back.
    Braves could still use you, if you're available.

Sorry to hear, rest -- ice -- elevation -- scotch. Or something like that, I failed Bonkistry so had to go to law school instead.

Sorry to hear, rest -- ice -- elevation -- scotch.
    Or all of the above! Best wishes for a speedy recovery. No courtroom theatrics for a while.

. . . and if my reference to Princess Bride fell flat because you haven't seen it, check it out -- it is a good movie to watch when you're recovering from non-working limbs and you're feeling mostly dead. Sounds like a dumb movie, sort of is -- but is a cult classic with many classic lines.

Back to the topic at hand -- is everyone just waiting for ND and UTx to either make deals or give the unequivocal "we're staying" declaration? Looks like that is the big plug in the dam right now.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 09-27-2011 at 08:43 PM.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Sorry to hear, rest -- ice -- elevation -- scotch. Or something like that, I failed Bonkistry so had to go to law school instead.
    As could the Red Sox... sigh

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

As could the Red Sox... sigh..

Best get well wishes to Jim.

Now back to conference jump watch, based on greed, and 2 disgruntled ACC Basketball coaches who were angry that their league has only been able to win 3 out of the last 7 National Titles, 4 out of the last 9, and 5 out of the last 11...

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    As could the Red Sox... sigh..

Best get well wishes to Jim.

Now back to conference jump watch, based on greed, and 2 disgruntled ACC Basketball coaches who were angry that their league has only been able to win 3 out of the last 7 National Titles, 4 out of the last 9, and 5 out of the last 11...
    Instead of picking a particular team, we should pick a particular coach. Every team that Pitino and Calipari coach will be ACC schools for those years. This year, KY and Lousiville. Next year, who knows.

Instead of picking a particular team, we should pick a particular coach. Every team that Pitino and Calipari coach will be ACC schools for those years. This year, KY and Lousiville. Next year, who knows.
    Then the 2016 ACC league champion could be the Houston Rockets?

As a football conference, the Big East looks to be dead; not mostly dead, but check-its-pockets-for-loose-change dead. But I wonder if the Big XII can survive if it embraced independents (indulging Notre Dame, and probably Texas) by going to a more aggressive Big XII+II model. Say...

Big XII+II North

Missouri
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Iowa State
    Louisville
    Cincinnati
    (Notre Dame)

Big XII+II South

Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    Texas Tech
    Baylor
    TCU
    Memphis/New Mexico/SMU/?
    (Texas)

12 teams for football, 14 teams for everything else. Notre Dame has probably resisted joining the ACC or Big Ten full time because it enjoys its independence (and its money). It's likely reconsidering now, not because the big conferences are trying to get bigger, but because the Big East is getting smaller. The Big XII may be an appealing alternative if the Irish don't want to entirely commit. Then there's Texas, which may decide that going independent in football and keeping regional affiliations in non-revenue sports is preferable to defecting to some far away conference. Finally there's the Big XII itself, which can continue losing its members in piecemeal fashion (have fun storming the castle), or try to reinvent itself into something lesser, but still something.

I'm sure I'm setting aside some logistics and realities, but it's kind of depressing that the 4-superconference model has no room for the Heartland.

This is basketball related since people dribble with hands, as do they type.

From Wikipedia:

The longest words typable with only the left hand using conventional hand placement on a QWERTY keyboard are tesseradecades, aftercataracts,[21] and the more common but sometimes hyphenated sweaterdresses.[20] Using the right hand alone, the longest word that can be typed is johnny-jump-up, or, excluding hyphens, monimolimnion.[22] and phyllophyllin
    The longest English word typable using only the top row of letters has 11 letters: rupturewort. Similar words with 10 letters include: pepperwort, perpetuity, proprietor, typewriter, requietory, repertoire, tripertite and pourriture. The word teetertotter (used in North American English) is longer at 12 letters, although it is usually spelled with a hyphen.
    The longest words typable by alternating left and right hands are antiskepticism and leucocytozoans respectively.[20]
    On a Dvorak keyboard, the longest "left-handed" words are epopoeia, jipijapa, peekapoo, and quiaquia.[23] Other such long words are papaya, Kikuyu, opaque, and upkeep.[24] Kikuyu is typed entirely with the index finger, and so the longest one-fingered word on the Dvorak keyboard. There are no vowels on the right-hand side, and so the longest "right-handed" word is crwth.

Twitter just exploded with....

BYU plus WVU, Louisville, Cincy and TCU to the Big XII. I'll be stunned if Cincy gets an invite to the Big XII over, say, U. Houston, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I'll be stunned if Cincy gets an invite to the Big XII over, say, U. Houston, but who knows.
    A-Tex Devil playing a double game?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Boone has been wrong about a lot of things, but frankly, I agree with him at this point. At this point, none of those Big East teams, other than Louisville, add much more than the Texas teams (UH, SMU, TCU) would.

One thing I disagree with my other alma mater on is the "threat" of inviting Texas teams to the Big XII. I think it would be great, and there isn't the risk of a Texas-centric (state, not school) conference like their was with the SWC where it just became irrelevant outside Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    BYU plus WVU, Louisville, Cincy and TCU to the Big XII. I'll be stunned if Cincy gets an invite to the Big XII over, say, U. Houston, but who knows.
    This seems a no brainer to me. The Big East with their mix and match conference is toast. I think it's very smart of the Big 12 to work out the stability issues within the conference before expanding. But once that's done go for it and you become a viable conference option. If they succeed I don't see how we get to 4 conferences of 16 teams with 5 remaining conferences.

So let's see here...if this happens it would leave UConn, Rutgers, and South Florida as football schools on the out. Where do they end up? The basketball schools would remain a viable option so does this force Notre Dame's hand? I don't see that it necessarily does but perhaps I'm missing something. I think this would actually be a good move for everyone in general, well short of starting all over from the ground up. The conferences should have the stability to prevent further poaching/expansion and with 5 conferences no one gets left out that deserves to be in.

So when do we get the official word? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    This seems a no brainer to me. The Big East with their mix and match conference is toast. I think it's very smart of the Big 12 to work out the stability issues within the conference before expanding. But once that's done go for it and you become a viable conference option. If they succeed I don't see how we get to 4 conferences of 16 teams with 5 remaining conferences.
    Easy. You wait until the Big XII Band-Aid expires, and then all hell breaks loose.