Page 35 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by henryp View Post
    My fingers are crossed this comes true, Notre Dame and Penn St. would be phenominal additions for the ACC!

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    What do you guys think about Georgetown/St. Johns?

St. Johns is on the up (as much as I despise Lavin) and is a NYC market team, Georgetown great BB great academic tradition.

Are they too weak in football to be considered?
    Well, St. Johns doesn't even have a football team, so, yes, I'd say they're too weak in football. Georgetown plays in FCS (formerly I-AA) so they won't be considered for inclusion in the ACC. They don't have the facilities to move to FBS even if they dedicated lots of time and money to improve the football program. No way the ACC considers St. John's or Georgetown, or any FCS football team for that matter.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 09-20-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: I-AA to FCS

Notre Dame and Penn State would be way cool.

Unfortunately, way unlikely.

If it were up to me, I'd try to bundle Kansas and Mizzou, geography be gosh-darned. But Swofford knows how to reach me and my phone is unremittingly unringing, so I'm thinking he's not soliciting my input on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Notre Dame and Penn State would be way cool.

Unfortunately, way unlikely.

If it were up to me, I'd try to bundle Kansas and Mizzou, geography be gosh-darned. But Swofford knows how to reach me and my phone is unremittingly unringing, so I'm thinking he's not soliciting my input on the matter.
    Joe Paterno talked about conference affiliation changes at his regular press conference today.

Paterno applauds Pitt's move to ACC

"Things are changing and you're not really sure what's going to happen," Paterno said. "I don't know where we're going to end up. There might be even some speculation that Penn State maybe ought to get into something different, or we ought to try to go out and get some people from the East to come into the Big Ten.

"[Or] that we maybe ought to solicit [Big Ten commissioner] Jim Delaney and some of the leaders of the Big Ten, `Hey, why don't we go take a good look and Syracuse and Pitt, [and] now that they're at it, why don't we take a look at Rutgers and take a look at somebody that we can bring in from the East so that the Big Ten doesn't end in State College.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Joe Paterno talked about conference affiliation changes at his regular press conference today.

Wait - what's Paterno trying to tell us here?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I think ole' Boone has been spending a little too much time out watching those wind turbines go 'round and 'round...

Bingo! Paterno is open to considering the ACC. Jim Sumner, Give Swofford a call or email him this story, please.

"why don't we take a look at Rutgers and take a look at somebody that we can bring in from the East so that the Big Ten doesn't end in State College?"

Hmm, does "end" refer to a geographical point or a temporal one? Kinda sounds like he is saying the B1G should take Rutgers or else.

Penn State is a possibility, maybe a lower double digit probable, but, indeed, a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    "why don't we take a look at Rutgers and take a look at somebody that we can bring in from the East so that the Big Ten doesn't end in State College?"

Hmm, does "end" refer to a geographical point or a temporal one? Kinda sounds like he is saying the B1G should take Rutgers or else.
    JoeTalk is usually a little challenging, but I believe he is making a geographic reference.

FWIW, some PSU fans gripe about the distances involved in going to see conference away games, and the addition of Nebraska doesn't help that. Another common fan gripe is that they feel under-appreciated in the B1G, which has a strong Michigan/Ohio State axis. Paterno always liked the idea of an all-sport Eastern conference, but it failed to come to fruition.

Who knows, maybe the door is open a crack?

Penn State Fans -- Yada, Yada

JoeTalk is usually a little challenging, but I believe he is making a geographic reference.

FWIW, some PSU fans gripe about the distances involved in going to see conference away games, and the addition of Nebraska doesn't help that. Another common fan gripe is that they feel under-appreciated in the B1G, which has a strong Michigan/Ohio State axis. Paterno always liked the idea of an all-sport Eastern conference, but it failed to come to fruition.

Who knows, maybe the door is open a crack?
    IIRC Penn State had never been in a conference before joining the Big Ten. Some of the fans' complaints appear to be with the discipline and schedules of a conference -- not with the Big Ten per se. In fact, for the all of the sports there is an advantage in having a conference competition with a championship possibly awaiting at the end. But it also means that you don't always play schools within your state or the neighboring states.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    According to Tweets from Clay Travis, who covers Tennessee, "SEC now denies it has given Missouri an offer to join SEC. League not happy about this story going public."
    Another from Travis: "SEC wants to wait for Big 12 to implode before pursuing Missouri. Not happy with leak."
    And another: "Missouri spoke out of turn. With legal issues, SEC likely furious."

http://www2.kusports.com/weblo...t-decision-to-/

More on Joe Pa being so happy for Pitt and Syracuse

Thirty years ago, Paterno, then doubling as Penn State's athletic director, proposed an all-sports conference involving Eastern schools, which he hoped would include programs such as Pitt, Syracuse, Maryland, Boston College, Temple and Rutgers.

But several Big East-member schools didn't want to give up their basketball conference, and Paterno's proposal eventually fizzled after a number of disagreements and spats.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11263/1176175-100.stm

Revenge is a dish best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    Penn State is a possibility, maybe a lower double digit probable, but, indeed, a possibility.
    "So, what you're telling me is that I've got A CHANCE!" (queue the Jim Carey movie soundbite...)

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    According to Tweets from Clay Travis, who covers Tennessee, "SEC now denies it has given Missouri an offer to join SEC. League not happy about this story going public."
    Another from Travis: "SEC wants to wait for Big 12 to implode before pursuing Missouri. Not happy with leak."
    And another: "Missouri spoke out of turn. With legal issues, SEC likely furious."

http://www2.kusports.com/weblo...t-decision-to-/
    Right, they aren't going to "invite" Mizzou until they "leave" the B12 first.

Ugh. I am sick of people in high positions not understanding what the Big XII offers not only Texas, but if it works, other universities. This notion of a "level playing field" which will never exist (hell, Boone Pickens himself, along with Phil Knight, have made OSU and UO the schools with the 2 highest donation levels in the past year -- sound level, right?). Actually, I don't think it's that they don't understand it, but they are trying to spin it like some work of evil by the University of Texas.

If you want to understand more about the vision and purpose of the LHN and can get past the stupid high school game argument (which has been tabled) and the other myopic arguments being made by Aggies, Pac 12, etc. Read this

Key quote:
    For the rest of the major athletic programs in the NCAA, the Longhorn Network is a risk-free experiment in raising additional revenue.
    I'll say it again -- the SEC does it right, and I hope (for Duke's sake) that the ACC follows: First and second tier TV rights (basically the top 8-10 ACC games each week in football basketball, and to an extent, women's basketball, baseball and lacrosse) get packaged with the conference network deal. The rest should be left to the schools to market as they may.

Coach K and Joe Pa

Not making any prediction here, but while some have been deeming Penn State the longest of longshots (partly related to assuming Joe Paterno would be against it), are he and K perhaps closer than we otherwise know?

There was, after all, the recent "Difference Makers: Life Lessons with Paterno & Krzyzewski" which aired on ESPN. At the very least, perhaps after that, Coach K might be in position to bend Joe Pa's ear about the ACC and why Penn State might be a good fit?

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Bluedevils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I prefer to think of it as a double entendre. Brilliant, even if it is unintentional.