Page 22 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
    Personally, I do not want Jim Calhoun or Geno A. in our conference. Just sayin'

Talking West Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Since this is football driven, the 3 schools with legitimate football programs in the Eastern time zone ... who might join the ACC are Rutgers, Connecticut, and West Virginia - leaving aside WVU allegedly being on the short list for the 14th team for the SEC, Connecticut and Rutgers also bring in TV markets whereas WVU adds minimal TV market value with Pitt signed up for western PA
    The ACC did not choose West Virginia (or Va Tech) in 1953; it did not choose WVa to replace South Carolina in 1971, waiting seemingly forever (eight years) until Georgia Tech signed on; it didn't choose West Virginia in 2003 when the conference expanded to 12 members (Syracuse was next in line). I don't see the Mountaineers ever being selected by the ACC.

sagegrouse

Apprently Pitt and Syracuse threw the Horns off the trail:

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1266526

They can keep some of the LHN if they go the PAC12, so Texas will probably go to the PAC12 with OU and their sidekicks afer all.

For the ACC, that means ND would have to come for FB too. At least a seven game divisional schedule. Otherwise, we take both Rutgers and UConn.

The Big East is about to become the Big Midwest. B2G, perhaps?

ACC Proactive Moves

Glad ACC leadership was ahead of the curve on realignment with the 4-4-4 committee. Interesting reading...and Ron Wellmon basically says Texas and ND are a no go outside of a level financial playing field.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2...entry_into_acc

Congress To Get Involved?

As quoted on the Front Page, here is a section from the NY Times article:

The shift in alignments among universities has not gone unnoticed in Washington. In a telephone interview early Sunday morning, a Congressional member from a state with a university potentially negatively impacted said that the conference issue raises concerns over taxes, anti-trust law and potentially Title IX.

While noting no one has formally approached Congress yet, the representative said that the situation is “spinning out of control.”

“I think the situation is rising to a level where getting Congress engaged may be unavoidable,” the representative said.
    I think if anything can make the conniving and greedy conferences look respectable, it's a Congressional investigation.

sagegrouse
    'Probably someone from Conn or NJ, given both the schools left out and the fact that it is a NY Times story'

expansion

I think the key point that Wellman makes in the article linked by Verga (and is also hinted at in the article from Orangeblood cited by Forkfondler) is that the ACC remains consistent about one issue -- every league member must be a full and equal member.

The Texas sources quoted by Orangeblood suggest that Texas is looking for a deal like Notre Dame has for the Big East -- independence in football, the right to keep its own TV money and conference membership in everything else (basketball, women's sports, Olympic sports). Believe me, under those terms the ACC could have had Notre Dame long ago ... and apparently could have Texas now.

Glad to see the ACC stick by its guns. Full membership or no membership ... it's the one thing the league hasn't waffled on.

BTW: It's apparently a moot point now, but I am tired of people objecting to Texas joining the ACC because it's not on the Atlantic Coast. As a matter of fact, Texas has a longer coastline on the Atlantic Oceaon than any US state except Florida (technically, North Carolina has a longer coastline, if you count the inside and outside of the Outer Backs AND the inner coast enclosed by the Outer Backs).

Not to go all Geography on anybody's $%#, but he Carribean is part of the Atlantic Oceon (just as the North Seat is; just as the Adriatic is part of the Mediterranean; just as the Sea of Japan is part of the Pacific)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I totally agree. In fact I'm ready to regress back to "the good old days" when the ACC was the ACC.

hud

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As quoted on the Front Page, here is a section from the NY Times article:

I think if anything can make the conniving and greedy conferences look respectable, it's a Congressional investigation.

sagegrouse
    'Probably someone from Conn or NJ, given both the schools left out and the fact that it is a NY Times story'
    I hope that any member of congress who spends even a minute on this instead of important problems is instantly recalled. It will be time and (lots of) money wasted, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    would be tough for duke to not win any women's ACC basketball titles anymore....given uconn plays UNC and duke every year anyway

jimmy calhoun will have retired before the switch was made anyway...I 99% guarantee this is his last year
    1200. DDMF.

One underrated point I just noticed on a Cuse blog (www.nunesmagician.com - you should all welcome our new friends imo), is that this makes the ACC LACROSSE even better, and puts the conference one team away from getting an automatic qualifier.

Of course an AQ is kind of a tiny deal when your conference consists of UVA (5 Championships), Duke (1 Championship), UNC (4 Championships), CUSE (11 Championships), and MD (2 Championships). Only 8 teams have won an NCAA Men's Lacrosse title - and 5 are now ACC Teams. Wow. The other 3 former winners - Princeton, John's Hopkins, and Cornell - are ineligible to become ACC Teams anyhow. So really it's 5 of 5.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    I totally agree. In fact I'm ready to regress back to "the good old days" when the ACC was the ACC.

hud
    Shhh...this addition will actually force us into more logical geographic divisions that will hopefully group the Carolinas and Georgia together and we will play round-robin basketball and football with those schools. Just like the old days, but we'll play a conference championship in football against the northern school and the basketball tournament can't possibly get worse by adding Syracuse and Pittsburgh, right?

Personally, I like this expansion if it re-balances the ACC geographically along the "Atlantic Coast." Let there be divisions of Union and Confederacy and build a gigantic new football stadium in Gettyburg just for the annual conference football championship!

Quick note on Uconn academics:

They may not be high on the list ATM, given they're very respectable, but they are certainly on the rise. In the latest flawed rankings, they moved up to 19th on the list of public institutions, which is tied with pittsuburgh, and a couple spots behind maryland.

for reference,

clemson is 25, tied with rutgers, vt is 28, florida state is 46, tied with NCSU

So not only would uconn be a good fit academically, they'd be better than most of the public institutions currently in the ACC.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I hope that any member of congress who spends even a minute on this instead of important problems is instantly recalled. It will be time and (lots of) money wasted, nothing more.
    That's just their time and our (taxpayer) money wasted...which is, of course, irrelevant to Congress. Whatever time and money is spent by a congressperson with a popular university sports team in his/her district to protect, or at least to appear to attempt to protect, thus gaining popularity at home AND getting TV face time and headlines in the process, is taxpayer money well spent and Congressional time well used...from the congressperson's point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Personally, I like this expansion if it re-balances the ACC geographically along the "Atlantic Coast." Let there be divisions of Union and Confederacy and build a gigantic new football stadium in Gettyburg just for the annual conference football championship!
    Oh crap. This yankeefication of the ACC is going to move the ACCT and football championship games out of North Carolina, isn't it? Am I going to have to start dealing with frickin' DC traffic to see those events?!

question: how do we make seven and seven work? if we do it north/south and split it so virginia is in the north, then we're left with six and eight:

NORTH
    bc
    syracuse
    pitt
    maryland
    virginia
    virginia tech

SOUTH
    duke
    unc
    nc state
    wake forest
    miami
    fsu
    georgia tech
    clemson

what's the northern-most NC school? i know duke is the northern most in the triangle, but winston-salem might be slightly further north.

assuming teams would play their division twice and the other division once, this would also kind of mess up duke's home and home rivalry with maryland, but i dont duke fans will care too hard.

divisions or pods

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    question: how do we make seven and seven work? if we do it north/south and split it so virginia is in the north, then we're left with six and eight:

NORTH
    bc
    syracuse
    pitt
    maryland
    virginia
    virginia tech

SOUTH
    duke
    unc
    nc state
    wake forest
    miami
    fsu
    georgia tech
    clemson

what's the northern-most NC school? i know duke is the northern most in the triangle, but winston-salem might be slightly further north.

assuming teams would play their division twice and the other division once, this would also kind of mess up duke's home and home rivalry with maryland, but i dont duke fans will care too hard.
    (1) I don't the Duke-Maryland pairings is quite the TV attraction that it was in 2004 when the network insisted that the two teams be paired up (Duke-State is a much more appealing historical partner). At the time, Duke-Maryland was on a par with Duke-UNC ... but the delcine of the Terp program has taken some of the fire out of the rivalry,

(2) I would prefer some kind of pod system to a divisional breakdown. However you split a 14 team conference into divisions, you get a situation where you play every division partner twice, then one game with the non-division members. That's 19 conference games! The coaches have fought an 18-game slate tooth and nail. Do you think they will go for 19? Plus, it would be unbalanced -- yeah, you play your division home and home, but you'd have an odd game against the other division -- seven teams would end up with 10 at home and 9 on the road and seven would get 9 at home, 10 on the road.

And how would a seven-seven split work in football? You'd have to play the six other teams in your division, then do you play two or three against the other division? That's going to mean either a nine-game conference schedule or some long gaps between games with teams in the other division.

(3) I know a pod system was proposed. Not sure how it would work with 14 teams, but maybe some kind of 5-5-4 split.

PS At least this expansion is the first ever to strengthen ACC basketball. Even going back to Georgia Tech (terrible when they joined the ACC) and FSU (actually pretty good in 1992, but clearly not a bball school that soon stagnated), the league has done little to help its main sport. Syracuse is a traditional power and Pitt has been consistently pretty good for a couple of decades.

My wish list to get to 16 -- add Kansas and Missouri!

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post

NORTH
    bc
    syracuse
    pitt
    maryland
    virginia
    virginia tech

SOUTH
    duke
    unc
    nc state
    wake forest
    miami
    fsu
    georgia tech
    clemson

Just add two of these three to the North and we're set:

Penn State (made Big 10 Finals last year in basketball)
    UConn
    Rutgers

Whats next?

I think Syracuse and Pittsburgh were great additions to the ACC, both in what they bring (decent football, great basketball, olympic sports, great academics) and as a proactive move to stabilize the conference and prevent potential poaching by other conferences.

Where do you think we go from here? Expand to 16 or stand pat? Everyone seems to be mentioning UConn and Rutgers as logical next additions. I am uninspired by both schools, especially Rutgers. Adding them smacks of expanding for the sake of expanding. They also add little from a football perspective which is supposedly what's driving this expansion craze... If they're who the ACC is looking at I'd say the conference would be better served by holding at 14. At least temporarily while the possibility, however remote, of better schools like Notre Dame or Texas joining the conference exists. Especially because the ACC is pretty much the only place either UConn or Rutgers could possibly end up, as I don't think either would be a target for the B1G Ten or SEC if they expand further.

Any other schools out there who are even a remote possibility for the ACC? I agree with those who think WVU would never get an ACC invite... Disappointed that none of the official leaks have ever indicated any interest in Kansas by the ACC, which other than geography, has always struck me as more of an ACC school than UConn or Rutgers.

Quote Originally Posted by senkiri View Post
    I think Syracuse and Pittsburgh were great additions to the ACC, both in what they bring (decent football, great basketball, olympic sports, great academics) and as a proactive move to stabilize the conference and prevent potential poaching by other conferences.

Where do you think we go from here? Expand to 16 or stand pat? Everyone seems to be mentioning UConn and Rutgers as logical next additions. I am uninspired by both schools, especially Rutgers. Adding them smacks of expanding for the sake of expanding. They also add little from a football perspective which is supposedly what's driving this expansion craze... If they're who the ACC is looking at I'd say the conference would be better served by holding at 14. At least temporarily while the possibility, however remote, of better schools like Notre Dame or Texas joining the conference exists. Especially because the ACC is pretty much the only place either UConn or Rutgers could possibly end up, as I don't think either would be a target for the B1G Ten or SEC if they expand further.

Any other schools out there who are even a remote possibility for the ACC? I agree with those who think WVU would never get an ACC invite... Disappointed that none of the official leaks have ever indicated any interest in Kansas by the ACC, which other than geography, has always struck me as more of an ACC school than UConn or Rutgers.
    "An ACC official told USA Today that Connecticut and Rutgers would be the candidates."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...range-coup-acc

I'd imagine that there will be plenty of phone calls between the acc, uconn and rutgers after this mornings announcement, and with how quickly this pitt/cuse thing went, we will know by wednesday whether they're coming or not.
    1200. DDMF.

First of all - here is a report that the Texas Board of Regents will be voting on joining the ACC tomorrow (Monday).

Secondly - one big impact of all this will be... wait for it... lacrosse! Syracuse Lax is, along with Johns Hopkins, the other major program that was not in the ACC. With Syracuse in the ACC, joining Lax powers Duke, Virginia, and Maryland... wow, ACC Lax is gonna be off the charts. The ACC tourney will be harder to win than the NCAA tourney. Seriously.

-Jason "is TTech automatic with Texas? Or are we still holding out hope for ND or another BEast team like UConn?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?