Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

FB: Georgia Tech 42, Duke 24

At about 3 pm Saturday, Duke will officially be bowling, as Maryland will lose to FSU, joining bowl-ineligibles BC and UNC, and the VT/UVA loser the final week will be ineligible (and perhaps UVA or VT will have picked up their 7th loss before we kick-off Saturday at 3:30 anyway ...)

Thursday, November 15
    North Carolina at Virginia, ESPN, 7:30 p.m. #UNCvsUVA

Saturday, November 17
    Florida State at Maryland, Noon on ESPNU #FSUvsMD
    Virginia Tech at Boston College, 12:30 pm on ACC Network #VTvsBC
    USF at Miami, 3pm on RSN #USFvsMIA
    NC State at Clemson, 3:30 pm on ABC (ESPN2 mirror) #NCSUvsCLEM
    Duke at Georgia Tech, 3:30 pm on ESPNU #DUKEvsGT
    Wake Forest at Notre Dame, NBC, 3:30 p.m. #WAKEvsND

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    We need this game for the Coastal. Hope the defense is ready for the GT attack.

After watching UNC get scored on at will by GT, even after having an off week to prepare, I am less confident (but still optimistic) about Duke's chances. I had thought the bye-week would give us a big advantage in preparation but that didn't seem to help Cheaterhill much. Hopefully GT got all of their scoring for the rest of the season out of their system.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchab1es View Post
    After watching UNC get scored on at will by GT, even after having an off week to prepare, I am less confident (but still optimistic) about Duke's chances. I had thought the bye-week would give us a big advantage in preparation but that didn't seem to help Cheaterhill much. Hopefully GT got all of their scoring for the rest of the season out of their system.
    we didn't give up 68 points to stanford
    we didn't give up 68 against VT
    not against FSU or clemson

we didn't even give up 68 against alabama 2 years ago

and we're not going to give up 68 on saturday.
    1200. DDMF.

On the other hand, GT gave up 50 points to Carolina.

Our guys have been preparing for playing against the GT offense since the first practices for this season. Coach Cutcliffe has said this at various times during the season. Most recently on his TV program, he outlined what the team would be doing during the 2 weeks between games.... there is a particular focus on bringing together all the previous work in the context of GT's performance in the last game.

As much as we have focused on the GT offense, there is a real possibility that our offense may have some great success against their defense. The game has the potential of being very high scoring.

Our guys will be as prepared as anyone can be. I believe they will play to win.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    we didn't give up 68 points to stanford
    we didn't give up 68 against VT
    not against FSU or clemson

we didn't even give up 68 against alabama 2 years ago

and we're not going to give up 68 on saturday.
    I like this train of thought

It was definitely an outlier of a game (for both teams) which makes it hard to gain any meaningful data. However, GT is averaging 38 points an outing, and UNC only allows 25.7, so who knows. My concern about the bye-week not being as big of an advantage is still there, but I hope it is unfounded. I think this game is winnable but we will need to do a much better job than UNC defensively, as GT does have an excellent offense. It also depends which GT team decides to show up.

What's worrisome is that Tech displayed a pretty strong passing game, and our pass defense is simply not particularly good (except against really weak teams).
    We're going to have to play VERY well to win.

And hopefully we have our major defensive guys healthy such as Byas, Braxton and Canty...Anunike, et al.

Tech looked really good yesterday. Hopefully the got it put of their system, and we catch them looking forward to the UGa game the next week. Doubt it, though -- they will be ready to go.

Tough game, but doable. LGD!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Our guys have been preparing for playing against the GT offense since the first practices for this season. Coach Cutcliffe has said this at various times during the season. Most recently on his TV program, he outlined what the team would be doing during the 2 weeks between games.... there is a particular focus on bringing together all the previous work in the context of GT's performance in the last game.

As much as we have focused on the GT offense, there is a real possibility that our offense may have some great success against their defense. The game has the potential of being very high scoring.

Our guys will be as prepared as anyone can be. I believe they will play to win.
    you PLAY to WIN the GAME! -Herm Edwards
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    you PLAY to WIN the GAME! -Herm Edwards
    You wouldn't believe that if you listened to what some of the fans say!

Big 2 weeks for Duke football I think we found out the following about our team:
    1. Is the coaching staff as good as Coach Cut talks about?
    2. Does our 5th year QB play like a 5th year QB who has started for 3 seasons?
    3. We have the all time leading (in recptions & could end up in yardage) WR in Vernon will he step up with Crowder & Scott and become a 3 headed monster that GT and Miami cannot stop?
    4. We have a very good kicker and punter they could be key if we win the next 2 games.
    5. In AUG you want to play meaningful games in NOV, first time since 1994 that will be happening... let's take advantage of it.
    6. Our defense has played well at times can they play well for the next 8 quarters.
    7. Yes Miami and GT are very good offensively but defensively we can score on them do we take advantage of this?
    8. Has the program advanced enough to compete in games that are for the Coastal Division Championship?
    9. If we beat GT we need to make sure that WW is full for the Duke/Miami game NOV 24!!!!
    10. I love this program playing meaningful NOV football games I hope the DUKE team does as well and I know the entire DUKE fan base also enjoys where the program is right now.

GO DUKE!!!!!

Their "defense" gave up fifty (50!!) points to the weak-arsed Kerlina offense. If their D plays as well again next week, we're looking at a record output but our Offense for the year! Looking forward to some spectacular Duke Offensive fireworks. No doubt but that the guys will be focused and prepared well for this one. Go Duke. I expect a Duke win here!

Go Duke!!!!!

1. Our offense
    2. Red shirt freshman QB - turnovers

Gives me hope.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Gt opened as an 11 point favorite. Seems right. Bet the over people

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Gt opened as an 11 point favorite. Seems right. Bet the over people
    Line has moved, GT now favored by 13 and over/under is 67. I will take Duke +13 and the over. Easy money.

Duke's offense is better than Carolina's. Renfree, Vernon, Crowder, Scott, and Blakeney, will need to carve up GT early, and then keep them off balance with the run.

Our defense is going to have their hands full. GT's offense is scary when they have a quarterback who can hit the bomb. They come at you with run, run, run, then suddenly get that one-on-one downfield. With an accurate quarterback, it's a nasty combination. I don't expect our defense to stop GT's offense...but if we can slow them down and have a positive turnover margin, we can win the game...because I don't expect their defense to stop our offense, either.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Duke's offense is better than Carolina's. Renfree, Vernon, Crowder, Scott, and Blakeney, will need to carve up GT early, and then keep them off balance with the run.

Our defense is going to have their hands full. GT's offense is scary when they have a quarterback who can hit the bomb. They come at you with run, run, run, then suddenly get that one-on-one downfield. With an accurate quarterback, it's a nasty combination. I don't expect our defense to stop GT's offense...but if we can slow them down and have a positive turnover margin, we can win the game...because I don't expect their defense to stop our offense, either.
    You are right on the money. If Duke is to win this game they have to score and score early. Get a lead, build on that lead, get a couple stops and force GT to play from behind and rush, which they don't do well and that could open things up for turnovers. As much as I like Duke to get the ball first in the second half, I'm almost willing for them to concede the ball in the second half if they take it to start and get on the board.

Gonna be a shootout. I just hope we can stay one score ahead of them