Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post

So much for a quiet summer. The irony in all of this was that unhappiness in the Big 12 is what triggered all of this movement to begin with and now it looks like they're trying to be proactive in securing their future. I could see those reported schools researching the possibility as part of their due diligence in financial options for the AD department; but I just don't think the numbers will work out. That being said, maybe this potential new round of movement may finally scare ND to join the ACC if Louisville and a non-ACC school (hopefully) joins the Big 12.
This is admittedly heavily biased, but I do believe that DeLoss Dodds and Frank Castiglione (despite his boss' machinations last fall), along with Notre Dame, to an extent, and possibly others, have an end game in mind that is much further out than all the reactive movement that has happened in the last 12 months (I don't consider the Big 10 and Pac 12 expansions reactive). Dodds' comments a couple of weeks ago basically calling out the Rose Bowl alliance as preventing the playoff everyone wants were very calculated, and are a large part of what has accelerated the current "plus one" talk because it made the Big Ten and Pac Ten react:

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoss Dodds
The only way it’s going to get fixed is for the rest of the country to have a playoff of some kind and let them do their deal. And then after five years, their coaches would go berserk because they're not in the mix for a national championship. And they'd have to join it.
Some of the current "plus ones" being discussed are very intriguing, especially the one that the commissioners basically plagiarized from Stuart Mandel.

(Edited -- I don't know how to remove the "Originally Posted By" on the Dodds quote, but we'll just pretend he posted here).