Page 6 of 101 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    So one of three things are going to happen:

1. The SEC will imminently invite a 14th (and perhaps 15th and 16th) team, going against everything they've said all along --- we don't ask people out, they ask us out.

2. The SEC will play with a 13 team league next year -- which means no divisions because I believe it's IMPOSSIBLE to have one 6 team and one 7 team division, and have everyone play the same number of games with no one playing each other twice.

3. The SEC will let A&M twist in the wind until next summer when this stuff should really be going down.

I have a very strong suspicion that it will be #3.
    So, to sum up:

1) Everyone in the Big XII knows that Texas A&M wants to be in the SEC, but is still waiting for an invitation;

2) Everyone in the Big XII knows that Missouri would rather be in the Big Ten, but did not receive an invitation;

3) Everyone in the Big XII knows that Texas is prepared to drop any or all of the other teams in the league to take the best deal available at that particular moment; and

4) Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor and Texas Tech know that the whole situation could blow up without warning and leave them out in the cold.

I kind of want to go to next year's Big XII Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    So, to sum up:

1) Everyone in the Big XII knows that Texas A&M wants to be in the SEC, but is still waiting for an invitation;

2) Everyone in the Big XII knows that Missouri would rather be in the Big Ten, but did not receive an invitation;

3) Everyone in the Big XII knows that Texas is prepared to drop any or all of the other teams in the league to take the best deal available at that particular moment; and

4) Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor and Texas Tech know that the whole situation could blow up without warning and leave them out in the cold.

I kind of want to go to next year's Big XII Tournament.
    Your #3 is not quite right. Texas is better for all sorts of reasons if the Big 12 stays together. Now, if things go sideways, Texas has options and is prepared to act on those options, so you are right in that sense. But Texas' number 1 goal is keeping the Big 12 alive.

The only teams I think will get left out in the cold if things go sideways are Iowa St. and Baylor. I think the Big East will snap up the Kansas schools and Mizzou immediately, and Tech will end up somewhere.

This all hinges on whether Mizzou gets plucked by the SEC. If it doesn't, and if the Big XII can add a BYU or even a Colorado St. Or hell, exist with 9 teams, which I think is just fine. Texas is going to hold this conference together as long as it can.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    ..........The question would be, can UNC recover, and Duke improve enough to be a boon to Big 10 basketball without seriously compromising its football....
    UNC likely works in Football well enough (looking beyond sanctions), given what they add in Basketball. Duke may very well work more than well enough in Football, with what is planned for the stadium, with recent improvements in the Football Program, given what we add in Basketball. I had not thought too much about membership in the Big 10. But, actually, it might be quite helpful for Duke in recruiting for a variety of reasons which I can get into if you would like.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Your #3 is not quite right. Texas is better for all sorts of reasons if the Big 12 stays together. Now, if things go sideways, Texas has options and is prepared to act on those options, so you are right in that sense. But Texas' number 1 goal is keeping the Big 12 alive.

The only teams I think will get left out in the cold if things go sideways are Iowa St. and Baylor. I think the Big East will snap up the Kansas schools and Mizzou immediately, and Tech will end up somewhere.

This all hinges on whether Mizzou gets plucked by the SEC. If it doesn't, and if the Big XII can add a BYU or even a Colorado St. Or hell, exist with 9 teams, which I think is just fine. Texas is going to hold this conference together as long as it can.
    I half kid, but how bout Texas to the ACC, and we take Kansas, K-State, and Missouri to make the 16. We could also dump Miami and pick up either Syracuse or Pitt to replace them. Ok, like I said, I kid. Just playing fantasy conference there.

On a serious note, is there any scenario where the Big 12 survives as a BCS conference if Texas bolts for the Pac10 or Big 10? Does not seem likely. 2nd question, is if all this happens, will there be 4 "Super Conferences" or 5? If the answer is 4 then it seems only 1 of the Big 12, Big East, and ACC would survive. I would hate to see that happen, so hopefully we would end up with 5 Super Conferences and 2 of those 3 aforementioned conferences survive.

Either way it is going to be hard on the Big East Schools that do not have FBS Football teams which stinks really, because several of those are great basketball programs with lots of history. I personally would hate to see those schools left out in the cold if this new world becomes a reality.

Looks like Texas A and M and maybe VA Tech could be joining SEC very soon, as early as next week? 14-16 team leagues are worse than 12. Please see and participate in the "A new ACC" thread to discuss how all this affects the ACC, and what the future holds. There I wrote that Penn State TRIED TO JOIN the ACC, tried to join the Big East, then tried to from a new eastern all sports league with the likes of BC, Syracuse, Maryland, etc., and only when all of that failed did they reluctantly join the B10/11/12 in desperation to avoid being "left out in the cold" according to AD Paterno. A new eastern Atlantic League with Penn State, Syracuse, UConn, BC, UMD, UVA, Duke, UNC, GT, FSU, could be the best 10 school league ever, dominating half the US population and media and money, while scheduling home and home in hoops and playing all others in football which is the ONLY way to determine a true league champ.

Quote Originally Posted by laxbluedevil View Post
    Looks like Texas A and M and maybe VA Tech could be joining SEC very soon, as early as next week? 14-16 team leagues are worse than 12. Please see and participate in the "A new ACC" thread to discuss how all this affects the ACC, and what the future holds. There I wrote that Penn State TRIED TO JOIN the ACC, tried to join the Big East, then tried to from a new eastern all sports league with the likes of BC, Syracuse, Maryland, etc., and only when all of that failed did they reluctantly join the B10/11/12 in desperation to avoid being "left out in the cold" according to AD Paterno. A new eastern Atlantic League with Penn State, Syracuse, UConn, BC, UMD, UVA, Duke, UNC, GT, FSU, could be the best 10 school league ever, dominating half the US population and media and money, while scheduling home and home in hoops and playing all others in football which is the ONLY way to determine a true league champ.
    A&M might well be headed to the SEC by next week, but do not see VaTech going anywhere. They are not abandoning UVA to go to the SEC. The SEC will get a partner for A&M to make 14 but I don't believe it will be Va Tech nor do I believe it will be Clemson.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    A&M might well be headed to the SEC by next week, but do not see VaTech going anywhere. They are not abandoning UVA to go to the SEC. The SEC will get a partner for A&M to make 14 but I don't believe it will be Va Tech nor do I believe it will be Clemson.
    Just curious, then, who do you think it will be? another big 12er? one of the more out of the way big east teams?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Just curious, then, who do you think it will be? another big 12er? one of the more out of the way big east teams?
    I would think either Mizzou or FSU. Mizzou is not ideal as the SEC would have to put one of them in the East Division. FSU would be a better fit, but Florida willl be against them joining. It will be interesting to see who the 2nd team is. One school I have not heard mentioned in any of this is Southern Miss. They have long wanted to get into the SEC. They could slide in nicely with A&M and go into the East Division. My wife is a Southern Miss grad and her family is from Biloxi, so they would jump for joy, but again, have not heard their name mentioned in any of this (likely because no one wants them). Football wise they would not be a bad selection, but their Basketball program would have to improve a lot.

I would think either Mizzou or FSU. Mizzou is not ideal as the SEC would have to put one of them in the East Division. FSU would be a better fit, but Florida willl be against them joining. It will be interesting to see who the 2nd team is. One school I have not heard mentioned in any of this is Southern Miss. They have long wanted to get into the SEC. They could slide in nicely with A&M and go into the East Division. My wife is a Southern Miss grad and her family is from Biloxi, so they would jump for joy, but again, have not heard their name mentioned in any of this (likely because no one wants them). Football wise they would not be a bad selection, but their Basketball program would have to improve a lot.
    yes, but that would not work if the plans are that the new team must be accretive to the TV contract. That is the problem with Florida State, Clemson, they add national and regional interest, but probably are dilutive (ultimate payouts per school) on the TV contract. That would not be the case with Va Tech. I hope we don't lose anyone. But, if we do, this all will heat up pretty quickly. As lax devil has pointed out, Penn State is not all that enthralled with the Big Ten, that is their fans are not. If we are down one, we should pick up the phone and give Jo Pa a call.

Talking Just for Fun

Uh,... The addition of Southern Mississippi to the SEC is about as likely as the ADs of Duke, UNC, State and Wake driving to Greenville and pleading with ECU officials to apply to the ACC.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Uh,... The addition of Southern Mississippi to the SEC is about as likely as the ADs of Duke, UNC, State and Wake driving to Greenville and pleading with ECU officials to apply to the ACC.

sagegrouse
    Or:
    276761_218070538234324_4514667_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

sagegrouse
    Actually, that is the perfect comparison. ECU has long wanted to join the ACC as everyone knows, and their hopes & chances pretty much equals Southern's hope & chances of getting into the SEC. Just ain't gonna happen. Pigs will fly and all that...

Thread title altered to reflect recent developments.

Say the SEC gets Texas A&M and (I still have a hard time featuring this) Missouri. Would Auburn be amenable to being moved into the East, obviously with Bama as their fixed scheduling partner?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Missouri wouldn't want to be left in the cold, but I'm not sure it sees itself as adequately southern or adequately felonious.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

Say the SEC gets Texas A&M and (I still have a hard time featuring this) Missouri. Would Auburn be amenable to being moved into the East, obviously with Bama as their fixed scheduling partner?
    I am still trying to contemplate a 13 team league. The Big Sky is doing it this year with an 8 game conference slate, but there are some inherent limitations to it.

- You can't have divisions. It's impossible to do this with a balanced schedule.
    - How do you determine the championship game? Top 2, I guess?
    - Even if you go to a 9 game schedule, you won't play 3 teams. 8 game schedule, you won't play 4 teams. What happens when Kentucky goes 6-2 without having to play 'Bama, LSU, Florida and Arkansas, then makes the championship game? People are going to be pissed.
    - The tiebreakers will make 2008 Big XII South problems look like child's play

This would be interesting in that it could set up Alabama-Auburn SEC Championship games. I suppose the implications of them playing back-to-back immediately before BCSmastime could be unappealing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    This would be interesting in that it could set up Alabama-Auburn SEC Championship games. I suppose the implications of them playing back-to-back immediately before BCSmastime could be unappealing, though.
    Back when FSU-Miami was supposed to be the usual ACC title game, they deliberately scheduled the "first" game early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Missouri wouldn't want to be left in the cold, but I'm not sure it sees itself as adequately southern or adequately felonious.
    I get the joke but I'm not sure us ACC partisans are in a great position to assert moral superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    This is exactly what Michigan and Ohio State fans were talking about when they created the Big Ten divisions with the two in opposite divisions. The Game would be played the week before the Big Ten Championship that could possibly feature them. The Game should never be played twice unless one is for the national championship, in my mind.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Auburn and Bama would probably both be moved to the east, with Missouri and Texas moving into the west.