I just want to quickly chime in and say I don't think UConn to the ACC is a smart move at this time as some have advocated. The primary goal in taking them would be to add a prime basketball program. Well, I am not so sure UConn will stay on top much longer.

Calhoun is likely in his final season. He has done an amazing job but, aside from his tenure, there is no historical basis for UConn being a basketball hotspot. One has to wonder how the program will fare once he leaves. Don't forget, DePaul was once one of the top programs in all of college basketball until Rey Meyer retired. His son took over and they were good for a few years but eventually faded to the point where they have not been a real factor on the national scene in more than a decade. There are other programs with similar stories. UConn could be the next.

Also, it appears Calhoun is not going to leave the cupboard well-stocked. With the NCAA giving UConn a post-season ban for academic shortcomings in 2013 and Calhoun's health questions, UConn's recruiting this year has been poor. They have only signed Omar Calhoun, a top 50 shooting guard. They are still in the running for some impact players, but the coaching and post-season ban issues appear to be steering top-tier players elsewhere. The draft gurus out there all seem top think Jeremy Lamb and Andre Drummond will head to the NBA lottery after this season. With the post-season ban staring them in the face next year, stick around another season when you would have no chance to do anything meaningful in March would seem strange.

The current roster has a lot of young players including Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright, who have both shown they can be quality players on a good team. They also have a few kids who were highly regarded coming out of high school like DeAndre Daniels and Roscoe Smith. But, one has to wonder how well they will do when asked to carry even more of a load with Drummond and Lamb gone. Heck, it is possible that a kid like Alex Oriakhi could leave too rather than playing his senior season at a school on a post-season ban. I believe he could transfer and be immediately eligible or he could try his hand at the NBA, though I think he would be a mid-late 2nd rounder at best.

Regardless, we all know it only takes a year or two of poor recruiting classes for a program to really head south. UConn already appears on their way to one bad recruiting class in 2012... if Calhoun departs this summer, it is not at all unlikely that 2013 would also be a tough recruiting year.

My point is that taking a wait-and-see approach to UConn may make a lot of sense at this point. We really need to know who will replace Calhoun and how that replacement will do before we can know where the UConn program is headed. I think the ACC admitting a school that is about to undergo a massive shift in its basketball culture and a school that is not a known football commodity would be a mistake.

-Jason "Calhoun wants Kevin Ollie to replace him... Ollie has zero experience as a head coach" Evans