Page 27 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    As per Airowe's tweets, here is a link to an article that suggests that Rutgers could go either the ACC or the Big 10. http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...ntact_wit.html

Also, there is a tweet on Airowe's Duke Hoop Blog's twitter account that an BE source expects UConn and Rutgers to leave the Big East. From the article above, I found it interesting that Rutgers "would privately prefer to go to the Big 10"; but gladly accept an offer to join the ACC if it was offered first. Could somone please explain to me why Rutgers would prefer to go to the Big 10 over the Big East when geographically the ACC is better a fit. Is it because of the Big 10 network deal or the AAU status of most of the schools in the Big 10 [eventhough the ACC is an academically strong conference as well]?
    This strikes me as coming from Rutgers partisans who want people to think they are a better catch than they really are...

Still not excited AT ALL to potentially see Rutgers added to the ACC...

As per Airowe's tweets, here is a link to an article that suggests that Rutgers could go either the ACC or the Big 10. http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...ntact_wit.html

Also, there is a tweet on Airowe's Duke Hoop Blog's twitter account that an BE source expects UConn and Rutgers to leave the Big East. From the article above, I found it interesting that Rutgers "would privately prefer to go to the Big 10"; but gladly accept an offer to join the ACC if it was offered first. Could somone please explain to me why Rutgers would prefer to go to the Big 10 over the Big East when geographically the ACC is better a fit. Is it because of the Big 10 network deal or the AAU status of most of the schools in the Big 10 [eventhough the ACC is an academically strong conference as well]?
    Perhaps its analogous to saying that you aren't interested in a pretty girl cuz you think shes out of your league, that is until she smiles, drops a hint and gives you her number.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Ah, I am wrong. Thanks for pointing it out.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...-stay-together

I should note that while not guaranteed, the schools have every expectation of remaining together.
    The Kansas BOR can't really "expect" or dictate anything during all of this. They have to say that, or KSU alumni will freak out on them. It is becoming increasingly clear that there are not multiple seats at the table for a state as small as Kansas. They won't block one if one is all they can get.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    While I understand that everyone here hates Uconn, using their basketball team's recent NCAA issue as the sole determination that the school does not "fit" the ACC is kind of silly. As you have not stated the reasons behind your determination, I will have to assume its because you think a) calhoun is a cheater, thus b) everybody in the athletics department and school must also be cheaters and sleazy, or perhaps that the school is terrible academically since the school missed the APR last year (I believe Syracuse missed it also...for comparison's sake) Either way, if you think the transgressions of the basketball team are reason to bar them from the league (keeping in mind that by the time they would be able to join the league, they would no longer be on probation and calhoun long retired), then perhaps we should bar any team that has had past NCAA violations from the league, perhaps even show GT, UNC, Miami, FSU, and NCSU the boot...actually when I mention all those schools, it seems like the violations make Uconn MORE of a fit in the ACC.

Yes the last bit is in jest (somewhat), but I am curious, what other than your personal bias makes Uconn so fundamentally different from pitt, SU, or current ACC members that you think that they would not belong?
    I think it's as much a question of leadership: Apparently Herbst was so concerned with the lack of compliance in the UConn basketball program that she let the basketball coach force the AD out. Or so it seems from the published reports, when comparing Calhoun's decision to return with Hathaway's "decision" to retire. Or maybe it was the booster who couldn't hire the new football coach and wanted his $3MM back? Or the outsourced witch hunt? I had a hard time keeping it straight. But I did especially appreciate his terms, whereby Hathaway won't make "derogatory or defamatory" statements about his employment at UConn, about the school, or its employees and trustees "unless compelled by legal process or an NCAA investigation." Nice touch after that wringer.

The guy had been there for 20 years. He deserved some respect and more courteous - and discreet - handling of his release (by whatever name).

Of course, the ACC will probably run the numbers and accept the application...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by senkiri View Post
    This strikes me as coming from Rutgers partisans who want people to think they are a better catch than they really are...

Rutgers = companion for Penn St

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I think it's as much a question of leadership: Apparently Herbst was so concerned with the lack of compliance in the UConn basketball program that she let the basketball coach force the AD out. Or so it seems from the published reports, when comparing Calhoun's decision to return with Hathaway's "decision" to retire. Or maybe it was the booster who couldn't hire the new football coach and wanted his $3MM back? Or the outsourced witch hunt? I had a hard time keeping it straight. But I did especially appreciate his terms, whereby Hathaway won't make "derogatory or defamatory" statements about his employment at UConn, about the school, or its employees and trustees "unless compelled by legal process or an NCAA investigation." Nice touch after that wringer.

The guy had been there for 20 years. He deserved some respect and more courteous - and discreet - handling of his release (by whatever name).

Of course, the ACC will probably run the numbers and accept the application...

-jk
    I agree that he deserved a little bit more courtesy. He must have known that he was going to come up on the short end of the stick, and from a political perspective, probably should have fostered a warmer relationship with calhoun. It is hard, though, to keep anything "discreet" in big time college sports these days, especially when ESPN is right down the road.

The ACC will probably accept the application because they are a school with strong academics, the best women's basketball program in the country (and one that can actually generate revenue for the league...they sell out cameron/carmichael every time they play there), one of the top mens basketball programs in the country, a football team just off a BCS bowl, and a handful of other very strong sports. They have pretty much the entire state of connecticut as their TV market, without any competition, and national recognition. The only detractor, as some have pointed out, are the mens basketball violations, and with half the ACC with teams on probation, this is hardly out of place. Not to mention the calhoun era will likely be over by the time they can join.

Of course, this whole realignment thing is about the money, but its not like when Uconn gets here they will be the black sheep of the conference. Like it or not (and most people here don't), Uconn has a lot to offer to the ACC.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    Rutgers = companion for Penn St
    I doubt under any circumstances Penn State is leaving the Big Ten. It certainly will not happen as long as Joe Pa, who was the prime mover in Penn State joining the Big Ten, is still the head football coach

i am gonna hurl if uconn becomes and acc member..

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ve-source-says
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Assuming we watch the big 12 and big east implode, I think we have a modest but decent chance of getting one of notre dame and Penn state. their long-term academic and possibly financial pictures would be improved, and their presidents might go for it. if we get one of them but not the other, I can see going for rutgers--who'd lust for the chance--or vandy, which should also be considering whether it wants to be a good regional university or a duke, northwestern, or Stanford. I'd be a little sick to my stomach if we stoop to uconn.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    I doubt under any circumstances Penn State is leaving the Big Ten. It certainly will not happen as long as Joe Pa, who was the prime mover in Penn State joining the Big Ten, is still the head football coach
    I'm not so sure, the B1G may need to seal the deal by taking Rutgers.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Assuming we watch the big 12 and big east implode, I think we have a modest but decent chance of getting one of notre dame and Penn state. their long-term academic and possibly financial pictures would be improved, and their presidents might go for it. if we get one of them but not the other, I can see going for rutgers--who'd lust for the chance--or vandy, which should also be considering whether it wants to be a good regional university or a duke, northwestern, or Stanford. I'd be a little sick to my stomach if we stoop to uconn.
    I'm confused. Why would the collapse of the BE and the B12 negatively impact Penn State's relationship with the Big 10/11/12?

Why are people still mentioning Penn State as a possible ACC member? They're not leaving the B1G, period. Do you think the people running Penn State are in the habit of selling $20 for $10? Because even a 16 team ACC won't pay out more per school than the Big 10 does. No school is leaving the Big 10, SEC, or Pac-12.

Quote Originally Posted by senkiri View Post

Ahh, The University of New Jersey at Newark (and New Brunswick and Camden). Has that certain "air" about it.

25 Cities With The Worst Air Pollution: Ozone (Smog)
    Los Angeles/Long Beach/Rierside, Calif.
    Bakersfield, Calif.
    Visalia-Porterville, Calif.
    Fresno/Madera, Calif.
    Houston/Baytown/Huntsville, Texas
    Sacramento, Calif./Arden-Arcade/Yuba City, Nevada
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas.
    Charlotte/Gastonia/Salisbury, N.C.
    Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale, Ariz.
    El Centro, Calif.
    Hanford/Corcoran, Calif.
    Las Vegas/Paradise/Pahrump, Nevada
    Sand Diego/Carslbad/San Marcos, Calif.
    Washington, D.C./Baltimore, Md./No. Virginia
    Cincinnati, Ohio/Middletown, Ky./Wilmington, In.
    Philadelphia, Pa./ Camden, N.J./ Vineland, De.
    St. Louis, Mo. / St. Charles / Farmington, Il.
    New York, N.Y. / Newark, N.J. / Bridgeport, Conn.
    Knoxville/Sevierville/ La Follette, Tenn.
    Birmingham/Hoover/Cullman, Ala.
    Baton Rouge/ Pierre Part, La.
    Kansas City, Mo./ Overland Park, Ks.
    Atlanta, Ga. / Sandy Springs / Gainesville, Ala.
    Merced, Calif.
    Memphis, Tenn.

(Kinda kidding. I think. I grew up in NJ.)

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm confused. Why would the collapse of the BE and the B12 negatively impact Penn State's relationship with the Big 10/11/12?
    Agreed; I follow Penn State pretty closely and see any speculation of a move to the ACC as being a total non-starter.

First, they're just not going to make a hasty decision about jumping conferences. This is a school that has a football coach who has worked there for 60 years. It's not a "flavor of the day" type of school.
    Second, they fit in quite well with the B1G.

A couple of random thoughts in response to some posts on this thread...

1) I don't think that the ACC need Rutgers in order to solidify a NYC market. Syracuse has all but done that by scheduling several home games over the next few years at the Meadowlands.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...wlands-stadium

2) If the Big East falls or no longer has the clout of old, would the ACC ever consider including Madison Square Garden as a rotating site for the BBall Tourney? That would be awesome, especially for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post

1) I don't think that the ACC need Rutgers in order to solidify a NYC market. Syracuse has all but done that by scheduling several home games over the next few years at the Meadowlands.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...wlands-stadium

2) If the Big East falls or no longer has the clout of old, would the ACC ever consider including Madison Square Garden as a rotating site for the BBall Tourney? That would be awesome, especially for Duke.
    Syracuse doesn't "control" the new york market in any real sense. No school does. THe best the ACC can do is put several schools in the area to sort of have control-by-committee, hence the interest in uconn and rutgers.

Swofford has already said he'd be interested in hosting the ACC tournament there, or at least in new york, but since its unlikely the big east will cease to exist, even if its the 8 non football schools, its likely that since they would still have st johns and several other big time bball schools (gtown, ND, marquette, villanova...along with providence, depaul, and seton hall) they would still be able to swing the garden. It's also unlikely that the football conference will cease to exist, in my opinion, since even if they lose 2 more teams to the ACC, I doubt the SEC is interested in the remainder, and the b1g seems happy with 12, and also wouldn't want the remainder. That leaves 5 football teams in the leauge, 6 when you add villanova, and the last 2 big 12 teams (assuming 4 go to the pac and 4 to the SEC, and they might take 2. but either way, that leaves the big east at a viable 8, and the possibility of adding more schools from down south (perhaps rice? SMU?) So even in a worst case scenario, the big east likely won't dissolve, it will just be unrecognizable.
    1200. DDMF.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    That has already been confirmed. Swofford indicated the ACC would absolutely pursue holding ACC Tourney's in MSG, in numerous articles about the addition of Pitt and Syracuse today.

Quote Originally Posted by tallguy View Post
    Why are people still mentioning Penn State as a possible ACC member? They're not leaving the B1G, period. Do you think the people running Penn State are in the habit of selling $20 for $10? Because even a 16 team ACC won't pay out more per school than the Big 10 does. No school is leaving the Big 10, SEC, or Pac-12.
    Can you provide some of the numbers, please? The financial piece of this is obviously a huge part. What are the numbers that equate your "selling $20 for $10" comment. Please understand, not digging at you, just trying to understand the issues and financial context that Penn State is facing. Thanks for your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    That has already been confirmed. Swofford indicated the ACC would absolutely pursue holding ACC Tourney's in MSG, in numerous articles about the addition of Pitt and Syracuse today.
    its interesting, since assuming the ACC goes to 16, we'll have 7 original ACC members, 7 Big East members, and 2 others. so the ACC becomes exactly as much ex-big east as it is original ACC.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    And there have been tweets from NY area writers that said Swofford's comments about possibly going to MSG with the ACC tournament made some BE members irate; and I get why they would be mad. Also, there have been some negative critiicms by writers at espn.com about the ACC pilfering teams from the Big East. As I said before, you're darned if you do, darned if you don't; and while I do feel bad for the BE, I am equally proud of the ACC leadership being proactive. Sadly, the reality of the current landscape is that it is truly survival of the fittest. I just hope we can still keep our original 12 in the fold. There are still writers that SEC could try to poach teams from the ACC and believe Fla State could go to the SEC if the SEC asked them. Yet, I have feeling Swofford is prepared that scenario if there are any defections from the ACC.