Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I am happy to hear that Quin MIGHT be ready to play, but this is a pretty slender piece of intelligence on which to launch a festival of euphoria. Do we have other confirming evidence. Maybe something from the coaching staff?

sagegrouse
    Jason Jordan is legit...plus this quote is coming from Quinn himself, I'll post the link later...but who better to say whether he's 100% or not

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I hate to quibble over a preseason estimate of mpg (okay, I love doing it), but I disagree here. I think you're about 10 mpg low on the Rivers/Curry/Kelly combo, and I think those 10 will come from Rivers and Curry. I think Curry will average 30+ mpg, and I wouldn't be surprised if Rivers did as well. And I'd expect 25+ mpg from Dawkins. So I think we'll be at about 150-160 mpg for the top six guys, not 140-145.

That leaves only 40-50 mpg for the reserves. I don't see both Hairston and Marshall averaging 5 mpg. I'd expect to see Hairston get 5-10 mpg and Marshall to play very sparingly (~2-3mpg). That leaves about 30-40 mpg for the quartet of Cook, Gbinije, Murphy, and Thornton.
    I mostly agree with this. Although personally I doubt the top six will dip much below 160 mpg. I'll be very surprised if that number gets as low as 150. Assuming two other guys get 10 to 15 mpg each (my guess is Tyler and Alex, although Quinn could conceivably fight Tyler for the backup PG minutes), it leaves only about 15 minutes total for the 9th through 12th men in the rotation.

I predict we're going to hear an awful lot of "how come Quinn doesn't play more" and "how come Silent G doesn't play more" on the Board this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I mostly agree with this. Although personally I doubt the top six will dip much below 160 mpg. I'll be very surprised if that number gets as low as 150. Assuming two other guys get 10 to 15 mpg each (my guess is Tyler and Alex, although Quinn could conceivably fight Tyler for the backup PG minutes), it leaves only about 15 minutes total for the 9th through 12th men in the rotation.

I predict we're going to hear an awful lot of "how come Quinn doesn't play more" and "how come Silent G doesn't play more" on the Board this season.
    Yeah, I meant to say "at least" when I said "at about" 150-160 mpg. That 150 was sort of my absolute low-end expectation, and I too would be surprised by that low an average.

I agree that the 9th through 12th guys are going to see very limited PT this year. That's no different from what Coach K has always done. There will probably be 2-3 players who fit the "why doesn't player X play more" bill this year (I'll avoid speculating which ones because I think that's been frowned upon in the past). We just don't go more than 8-9 deep, even when we have more than 8-9 players capable.

and to think I intentionally kept these guys at 25 rather than 30 and 20-25 rather than 25 to keep the total from being 165, and dealing with all the retorts on 35 MPG total for Alex and Quinn and Tyler and Mike and Josh.

Fouls may be a reason why the Plumlees do not average 25 each, but rather 45 MPG total, but Kelly could very well play 30 leaving only 5 for Josh.

Whatever their limited minutes may be, I expect most from Alex, then Quinn, Tyler, Mike and Josh based not only on skill set but also somewhat on supply and demand at SF besides Dre and at PG besides Seth, versus very limited minutes available at C/PF.

Quinn brings the backup PG ability and is much better on Offense than Tyler as long as his defense is up to par. The good news is depending on the need, coach K will always have an answer on his bench.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I am happy to hear that Quin MIGHT be ready to play, but this is a pretty slender piece of intelligence on which to launch a festival of euphoria. Do we have other confirming evidence. Maybe something from the coaching staff?

sagegrouse
    Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    Jason Jordan is legit...plus this quote is coming from Quinn himself, I'll post the link later...but who better to say whether he's 100% or not
    I hear what you are saying, dcar, but sage is kinda right here. Quinn ISN'T the guy to say whether he's 100% or not. He's not a part of one of the best training staffs in the world.

The whole point is that Quinn came back too soon b/c he and probably his HS coaching/training staff rushed it a bit. It was the A+ Duke staff that shut him down, so until we hear it from them I wouldn't fully count anything. Hopefully we'll get an update from K in his next presser, though I have no idea when that might be...

Quin's Health Care

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    The whole point is that Quinn came back too soon b/c he and probably his HS coaching/training staff rushed it a bit. It was the A+ Duke staff that shut him down, so until we hear it from them I wouldn't fully count anything. Hopefully we'll get an update from K in his next presser, though I have no idea when that might be...
    Thanks for making the point, SilkyJ. My understanding is that the Oak Hill training staff plus the vaunted (Hah!) tertiary-care medical facilities in Mouth of Wilson, VA didn't exactly provide the best diagnosis and care for Quin. It looks from the map that the school is about 90 miles from the nearest significant medical center (Blacksburg or Winston-Salem), although I am certainly ignorant of the locale.

sagegrouse