Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1. #1

    Quinn Cook out for a while(Update: Cook Back to 100%!)

    Last edited by Newton_14; 09-12-2011 at 09:16 PM.

  2. #2

    Bummer

    Would have been great to get him some chemistry in game situations early, but it is better to be healthy than rush things.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nanjing, China
    Wow, I didn't realize his knee was still bothering him that much. This came as a surprised to me. Hope he heals up to 100% in the provided time frame.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize his knee was still bothering him that much. This came as a surprised to me. Hope he heals up to 100% in the provided time frame.
    Redshirt? Seems like I read somewhere that certain players would be evaluated for the possibility of being redshirted during the China trip. If his knee is bothering him before the season starts then I see no reason to rush him back considering that we have Seth, Tyler and AR who is supposed to be a play maker. I can't see redshirting MP3 or Murphy considering that we may lose MP2 as well as MP1 after this year. Maybe no one sits out this year but without any inside knowledge I'd rate Q most likely to Redshirt at this point.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Redshirt? Seems like I read somewhere that certain players would be evaluated for the possibility of being redshirted during the China trip. If his knee is bothering him before the season starts then I see no reason to rush him back considering that we have Seth, Tyler and AR who is supposed to be a play maker. I can't see redshirting MP3 or Murphy considering that we may lose MP2 as well as MP1 after this year. Maybe no one sits out this year but without any inside knowledge I'd rate Q most likely to Redshirt at this point.
    I would say that is a fair assessment. I won't speculate on why the knee keeps acting up, but if needs more time to get to absolute 100% healed and healthy, I would rather he redshirt given the deep backcourt we will have. Use this year to get fully healthy and learn the system. I hate he is still having trouble though. Stinks that he can't play in China.

    Currently the evidence on Murphy suggests he will be a factor this year, so don't see him as a Red Shirt candidate any longer, and I agree that MP3 will need some real court time this year to prepare for lots of minutes next year.

    Get well soon Quinn! We are wishing Godspeed and healing on the knee!

    Congrats to Captains Amile Jefferson & Quinn Cook. Go lead this team to nets and hardware fellas!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    He must be a terrific young man to be backed so hard by Nolan and taken when he had the knee. Hope he recovers and becomes a star.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    It doesn't seem like we've had the best of luck lately in regards to freshmen point guards and health. Hopefully K is simply playing it safe. I am encouraged by the fact that he thinks Quinn will "definitely" be back by the start of practice. Seems ominous though. bummer
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I would say that is a fair assessment. I won't speculate on why the knee keeps acting up, but if needs more time to get to absolute 100% healed and healthy, I would rather he redshirt given the deep backcourt we will have. Use this year to get fully healthy and learn the system. I hate he is still having trouble though. Stinks that he can't play in China...

    Get well soon Quinn! We are wishing Godspeed and healing on the knee!
    Yeah, hang in there, Quinn. Take a page from Kyrie and keep a positive attitude, do what the doctors say, support your teammates, and learn from the coaches.

    I doubt there are many places better for him medically than where he is now. We all knew of the reputation of the Duke Medical Center, but the coverage of Kyrie's rehab showed some amazing work from trainers and physical therapists as well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    I saw the headline on the main page and thought people were trying to organize a "cookout" for watching the games. Doh. At least he'll still travel with the team, the trip should be a great bonding experience for our young team.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Triangle
    BDN Video is bringing the fire! We spoke with Quinn Cook late this afternoon. Why speculate when you can see and hear the details from Cook himself? http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/08/b...ut-his-injury/ Enjoy. BTW, don't miss our practice videos from today.

  11. #11
    Already love Quinn. A perfect guy to wear the #2 now.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Asheville

    Question

    Methinks we may need another point guard for backup for the year following this season along with the bigs we are recruiting. Thornton is a superb defender and both he and Cook are projected to be 4 year players, but if Cook goes down due to his knee, we may need another point at least as good as a healthy Cook to help out and get into the pipeline. The question is: Do we have enough projected schollys?

    ricks

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Methinks we may need another point guard for backup for the year following this season along with the bigs we are recruiting. Thornton is a superb defender and both he and Cook are projected to be 4 year players, but if Cook goes down due to his knee, we may need another point at least as good as a healthy Cook to help out and get into the pipeline. The question is: Do we have enough projected schollys?

    ricks
    How about Seth Curry and Rasheed Sulaimon?

    Even if you don't like those options, the answer to your question is probably no, we don't have enough scholarships to offer a second/third backup point guard, which presumably is one reason we parted ways with Rodney Purvis (although obviously he would have been a lot more than a backup PG).

    Besides, even if Quinn misses most or all of this season (which I don't think anybody is saying at this point), he should still be ready to play next season, and having been through practices for a year (even if he's only observing), he should be ready for decent minutes. I think your fears are unfounded here.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Methinks we may need another point guard for backup for the year following this season along with the bigs we are recruiting. Thornton is a superb defender and both he and Cook are projected to be 4 year players, but if Cook goes down due to his knee, we may need another point at least as good as a healthy Cook to help out and get into the pipeline. The question is: Do we have enough projected schollys?

    ricks
    Bronson Koenig
    I am the yellow king

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Huh? View Post
    Bronson Koenig
    Koenig is a 2013 recruit, and would not be available until after the 2012-2013 season, which I assume is the one ricks68 is concerned about. (Duke will have plenty of scholarships after that year.)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Asheville
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    How about Seth Curry and Rasheed Sulaimon?

    Even if you don't like those options, the answer to your question is probably no, we don't have enough scholarships to offer a second/third backup point guard, which presumably is one reason we parted ways with Rodney Purvis (although obviously he would have been a lot more than a backup PG).

    Besides, even if Quinn misses most or all of this season (which I don't think anybody is saying at this point), he should still be ready to play next season, and having been through practices for a year (even if he's only observing), he should be ready for decent minutes. I think your fears are unfounded here.
    Good points. Since Coach K has said that Seth would be our starting point guard this year (if he had to make a choice based on what he has seen so far) at this point in the pre-season, and he would stay around for his last year of eligibility (Remember, he would probably have plenty of credits to graduate.) then I could see us as O.K. I am concerned, however, because if he has an opportunity to get to the NBA because of a stellar PG year, we could well lose him. Then, if Quinn's injury is worse than we know, we could be in trouble.

    I think that many on the board may think that because we won in 2010 using Jon as our primary "PG", we do not need a "real" super PG as in the past. While that may well be true, I think our winning under those circumstances was actually an aberration from the norm. (Of course, Nolan sure looked pretty close to a "real" super PG from my perspective, however!)

    Most coaches, including Coach K, would prefer a really good-if not super-PG instead of what we had to deal with in 2010. By the way, that's another reason why I think that Coach K is such a remarkable coach. His ability to adjust and come out a winner, I think is unmatched in college bball. I would just prefer that he had fewer adjustments to make so that our chances of winning it all are greater. Think Hurley, Williams, etc.

    ricks

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Koenig is a 2013 recruit, and would not be available until after the 2012-2013 season, which I assume is the one ricks68 is concerned about. (Duke will have plenty of scholarships after that year.)
    Apologies, got my years mixed.
    I am the yellow king

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Good points. Since Coach K has said that Seth would be our starting point guard this year (if he had to make a choice based on what he has seen so far) at this point in the pre-season, and he would stay around for his last year of eligibility (Remember, he would probably have plenty of credits to graduate.) then I could see us as O.K. I am concerned, however, because if he has an opportunity to get to the NBA because of a stellar PG year, we could well lose him. Then, if Quinn's injury is worse than we know, we could be in trouble.

    I think that many on the board may think that because we won in 2010 using Jon as our primary "PG", we do not need a "real" super PG as in the past. While that may well be true, I think our winning under those circumstances was actually an aberration from the norm. (Of course, Nolan sure looked pretty close to a "real" super PG from my perspective, however!)

    Most coaches, including Coach K, would prefer a really good-if not super-PG instead of what we had to deal with in 2010. By the way, that's another reason why I think that Coach K is such a remarkable coach. His ability to adjust and come out a winner, I think is unmatched in college bball. I would just prefer that he had fewer adjustments to make so that our chances of winning it all are greater. Think Hurley, Williams, etc.

    ricks
    While I agree with much of what you say here, I don't think any of it is a persuasive argument for burning a scholarship on a backup PG. Anyone who would fit the description of a "super PG" who could lead us to a championship would not, in this day and age, be coming in as a late-recruited backup.

    Also, with limited scholarships you have to play the odds a little. In this case, the odds are strongly in favor of Seth returning as a fifth-year senior. Sure, it's possible he has a wild breakout this season and plays himself into a lottery pick, but with Austin around it seems unlikely to me that Seth could garner enough stats and/or attention to make up for the fact that he's much smaller than the vast majority of NBA players who have his skillset. At Seth's height you need to be super-quick or a super-ballhandler to make it in the NBA, and he really isn't either of those things yet. It sounds like he's getting closer but the likely outcome is he'll need that final year to prove it to the NBA scouts.

    Similarly, based on what K is saying now, it sounds like the idea that Quinn's injury would last more than a year is also a low-probability outcome. And in order for us to need another PG, both of these low-probability events would have to occur. As well as the high probability event of Austin leaving after this season (i.e., no change to the one-and-done rule). And even if all that stuff happens, we'd still have Tyler and Rasheed to man the PG position, which while perhaps not ideal options both should be pretty solid.

    If a 2012 top-5 "pure" PG presented himself as a Duke target, my guess is K would strongly consider going after him. But if Quinn is healthy it wouldn't really be fair to him. Either way, I doubt it would be worth it to bring in a "backup" who didn't expect to start from day one.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Asheville
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    While I agree with much of what you say here, I don't think any of it is a persuasive argument for burning a scholarship on a backup PG. Anyone who would fit the description of a "super PG" who could lead us to a championship would not, in this day and age, be coming in as a late-recruited backup.

    Also, with limited scholarships you have to play the odds a little. In this case, the odds are strongly in favor of Seth returning as a fifth-year senior. Sure, it's possible he has a wild breakout this season and plays himself into a lottery pick, but with Austin around it seems unlikely to me that Seth could garner enough stats and/or attention to make up for the fact that he's much smaller than the vast majority of NBA players who have his skillset. At Seth's height you need to be super-quick or a super-ballhandler to make it in the NBA, and he really isn't either of those things yet. It sounds like he's getting closer but the likely outcome is he'll need that final year to prove it to the NBA scouts.

    Similarly, based on what K is saying now, it sounds like the idea that Quinn's injury would last more than a year is also a low-probability outcome. And in order for us to need another PG, both of these low-probability events would have to occur. As well as the high probability event of Austin leaving after this season (i.e., no change to the one-and-done rule). And even if all that stuff happens, we'd still have Tyler and Rasheed to man the PG position, which while perhaps not ideal options both should be pretty solid.

    If a 2012 top-5 "pure" PG presented himself as a Duke target, my guess is K would strongly consider going after him. But if Quinn is healthy it wouldn't really be fair to him. Either way, I doubt it would be worth it to bring in a "backup" who didn't expect to start from day one.
    Very good answer to my question. Thanks.

    ricks

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    If a 2012 top-5 "pure" PG presented himself as a Duke target, my guess is K would strongly consider going after him. But if Quinn is healthy it wouldn't really be fair to him. Either way, I doubt it would be worth it to bring in a "backup" who didn't expect to start from day one.
    It's also worth noting that there *isn't* a top-5 PG in the class of 2012, or even a top-25 PG. It's just not a good class for point guards.

Similar Threads

  1. Are We Overlooking Quinn Cook?
    By licc85 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 193
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 02:30 AM
  2. Quinn Cook
    By Steven Allen in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 01:53 PM
  3. Quinn Cook to Duke
    By DevilHorns in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 04:31 PM
  4. Quinn Cook on ESPNU Right Now!
    By Leck in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 08:51 PM
  5. Quinn Cook Commits to Duke!!
    By airowe in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 758
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •