Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I remember going to DUCC (Duke University Computer Camp) as a kid (geekiest camp possible, writing BASIC on the original IBM PC's) and the counselors taking us to the Devil's Quarters and tripping the credits on all of the games. I spent a few hours playing Star Wars X-wing that day, and Battle Tank or whatever it was called. Similar graphics, both two of my favorites. That camp was also my first introduction to Flight Simulator for the PC, which I still love to this day.

P.S. check out this site, just found it while looking up that tank game. The rest of my work day is now shot to hell.

http://www.freearcade.com/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Zork isn't a video game... but I loved Infocom games nonetheless. The Bards Tales were great too.

I agree on Star Control -- what a fun game. The Melee was so well balanced and thought out.

I wish I had that game still.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Zork isn't a video game... but I loved Infocom games nonetheless. The Bards Tales were great too.

I agree on Star Control -- what a fun game. The Melee was so well balanced and thought out.

I installed it from that link Des gave, works beautifully.
    http://sc2.sourceforge.net/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

All for NES:

Contra - anyone who has played this remembers the code

Tecmo Bowl

Mike Tyson's Punch-out - code to get to Tyson 007-373-5963

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post

OK, I guess technically Zork is a video game. I just never thought of text only games as video games though.

Some phenomenal mentions on this thread, and thanks for all the responses!

Wizardry 2, Zork, and Bolo were my favorite video games upon getting our first computer, an Apple IIe, when I was 11.

For a couple memories:

Zork: You are in a maze of twisty, turny passageways that all look alike
    Wizardry 2: I9, I9, I9, I9, I9, I9

Bolo may be a little less well known - a neat little tank game where you move around a maze trying to blow up 5 enemy forts as they send their little tanks out after you. If anyone gets an Apple IIe emulator, Bolo is a fun little diversion.

For the Atari there was Defender and Missile Command.

For Intellivision (thanks to Bjornolf for reminding me of Intellivision!), it was AD&D, Utopia, and Snafu. I would have loved NASL Soccer, but my brother kicked my butt at it way too much for my enjoyment.

Devils Quarters also featured fun with Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat (flawless victory...)

I have to agree with Techmo Super Bowl. I can remember a couple times playing a whole season with my best friend in one night. The 4 reciever curl route was unstoppable on 3rd down. Even if they picked the play, you could still complete it as long as you threw it before they sacked you.

Mike Tyson Punch-out was also good. And Madden was the favorite through my college years.

My 8 year old's favorite game is Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    I, too, spent a lot of quarters in the Bryan Center at Devil's Quarters. My biggest money sink was Gauntlet, rather than Golden Axe. "Elf needs food - badly."
    Loved that game, except when it was taunting, "Warrior is about to die."

Also enjoyed Zork and Adventure when I was young.

Other arcade games I enjoyed were Joust, Berserk, Gorf, Karate and Centipede. Also, liked an arcade game called, I think, City Connection.

Stopped playing games for awhile, then got back in to role playing games like Gabriel Knight and Myst.

I also recall playing a lot of Quake when I had access to something faster than dialup internet access.