Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another twist in the UNC saga

You can't make this stuff up ... the latest in the UNC scandal -- somebody broke into the room where the records were stored for the UNC honor court and stole the confidential records of 31 student cases:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/08/...-break-in.html

At the moment, no evidence that any of the stolen case files involved athletes ... but considering how many appeared before the honor court within the last year and how strange the honor court rulings have been (as we know in the McAdoo case), it's going to be interesting to watch this one unfold.

wait....so....31 student's cases? what did they do, go through the files and pick out the 31? JUST 31?

odd indeed....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Someone is trying to cover something up.

This scandal needs a name...

Something along the lines of TarGate...?

WaterHill?

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    Someone is trying to cover something up.
    First they start selling Russian Wives at the UNC School of Business and now this!! Wow do they have issues. Wow do I love that they have issues!

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    This scandal needs a name... Something along the lines of TarGate...? WaterHill?
    I have 2 entirely different responses to the continuing, expanding saga.

1. The schadenfreude option - in which I vote, over and over and over, for TarGate. Every sentient adult in the U.S. knows that the suffix, -gate, refers to a scandal; and the serendipitous hilarity of the Heels' historic moniker should be compelling. Whole lot of material there.

2. I will hope to remember to post, intermittently, a reminder [to myself and to the sentient adults here on EK] that UNC is a great university, with a brilliant academic history, an honorable public stance on several major issues in civil rights and academic integrity [even if belatedly arrived at in some cases, the most recent of which you may have heard of], not to mention a deservedly proud basketball tradition, with one [possibly more] of the greatest coaches in NCAA history.

Now, schadenfreude will dominate my own fanaticism, but just occasionally sentience will rear its irritating head.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I have 2 entirely different responses to the continuing, expanding saga.

1. The schadenfreude option - in which I vote, over and over and over, for TarGate. Every sentient adult in the U.S. knows that the suffix, -gate, refers to a scandal; and the serendipitous hilarity of the Heels' historic moniker should be compelling. Whole lot of material there.

2. I will hope to remember to post, intermittently, a reminder [to myself and to the sentient adults here on EK] that UNC is a great university, with a brilliant academic history, an honorable public stance on several major issues in civil rights and academic integrity [even if belatedly arrived at in some cases, the most recent of which you may have heard of], not to mention a deservedly proud basketball tradition, with one [possibly more] of the greatest coaches in NCAA history.

Now, schadenfreude will dominate my own fanaticism, but just occasionally sentience will rear its irritating head.
    Don't over-think it, go with your gut.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    wait....so....31 student's cases? what did they do, go through the files and pick out the 31? JUST 31?

Ah HA! So, Baskin-Robbins did it!! (with the candlestick in the library ... )

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    You can't make this stuff up ... the latest in the UNC scandal -- somebody broke into the room where the records were stored for the UNC honor court and stole the confidential records of 31 student cases:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/08/...-break-in.html

At the moment, no evidence that any of the stolen case files involved athletes ... but considering how many appeared before the honor court within the last year and how strange the honor court rulings have been (as we know in the McAdoo case), it's going to be interesting to watch this one unfold.
    I find it even more strange that all record of Matt Doherty coaching at unc was also reported stolen on the police report. I guess the Board of Trustees was serious when they declared they would rid the school of unpleasantness.

Quote Originally Posted by LSanders View Post
    Ah HA! So, Baskin-Robbins did it!! (with the candlestick in the library ... )
    Brilliant! Carolina's reputation continues its downward spiral. The Carolina Way has become The Rocky Road to Infamy heelfans.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    The Carolina Way has become The Rocky Road to Infamy heelfans.
    Butter nut crumble!

I'm kind of hoping it was another State fan looking for more errors in the Honor Court's work. Although, disposal of evidence is probably more likely.

That must be why so many carolina fans are pistachio'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    That must be why so many carolina fans are pistachio'd.
    Yup, everyone else just sittin back waiting for the next big scoop to hit the scandal sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by LSanders View Post
    ...with the candlestick in the library ... )
    Perfect place for a crime...no one goes in there. Apparently everyone does their research in the case files over at the Honor Court. Hope they properly cite their sources.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Yup, everyone else just sittin back waiting for the next big scoop to hit the scandal sheets.
    They were probably just moving the 31 files to the cone of silence for safekeeping.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    They were probably just moving the 31 files to the cone of silence for safekeeping.
    Dipping into even more trouble now at unc.

link to Black Sox scandal

I was just thinking about this and being bothered by a strong sense of deja vu. I finally realized what this whole eposide reminded me of -- the aftermath of the Black Sox Scandal in 1920.

The eight players indited in the case all confessed during pre-trial questioning. But when the trial arrived, low and behold, someone had broken into the courthouse and stolen their confessions. Without that evidence, the prosecution failed and all eight cheaters were found no quilty by a jury of Chicaho sports fans (okay, I don't know they were fans, but they were all men).

That's not the end of the story.

A couple of years later, Joe Jackson and another player (Buck Weaver, maybe?) were suing Charles Cominsky in a Milwaukee courtroom for some of their back salary that was blocked whenthey were suspended by Judge Landis. In the middle of the case, guess what happens -- their signed confessions to throwing the world series suddenly appear again ... the Judge rules in Cominsky's favor and the players are stiffed.

Obviously, the original theft was engineered by Cominsky, who thought that if his players were found not guilty, he'd get them back (not counting on Landis to banish them anyway).

I can't help wondering if somebody at UNC is setting up a situation to prevent any more players from filing any more lawsuits. The McAdoo case, which so many thought was a brilliant tactic to embarrass the NCAA, blew up in their face. I can imagine that UNC doesn't want to see any of the other 13 football players (and apparently 2-4 baseball players) who were in the honor court over the last year filing any lawsuits that may uncover more dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I was just thinking about this and being bothered by a strong sense of deja vu. I finally realized what this whole eposide reminded me of -- the aftermath of the Black Sox Scandal in 1920.

The eight players indited in the case all confessed during pre-trial questioning. But when the trial arrived, low and behold, someone had broken into the courthouse and stolen their confessions. Without that evidence, the prosecution failed and all eight cheaters were found no quilty by a jury of Chicaho sports fans (okay, I don't know they were fans, but they were all men).

That's not the end of the story.

A couple of years later, Joe Jackson and another player (Buck Weaver, maybe?) were suing Charles Cominsky in a Milwaukee courtroom for some of their back salary that was blocked whenthey were suspended by Judge Landis. In the middle of the case, guess what happens -- their signed confessions to throwing the world series suddenly appear again ... the Judge rules in Cominsky's favor and the players are stiffed.

Obviously, the original theft was engineered by Cominsky, who thought that if his players were found not guilty, he'd get them back (not counting on Landis to banish them anyway).

I can't help wondering if somebody at UNC is setting up a situation to prevent any more players from filing any more lawsuits. The McAdoo case, which so many thought was a brilliant tactic to embarrass the NCAA, blew up in their face. I can imagine that UNC doesn't want to see any of the other 13 football players (and apparently 2-4 baseball players) who were in the honor court over the last year filing any lawsuits that may uncover more dirt.
    Interesting. Thanks for some historical context.

But weren't Ray Liotto, James Earl Jones, and the state of Iowa involved in all that somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for some historical context.

But weren't Ray Liotto, James Earl Jones, and the state of Iowa involved in all that somehow?
    Definitely - and they were led by Kevin Costner and Amy Madigan.