NFL 2011...Release the Hounds!

The lockout's over and the free agent frenzy is in full swing. I thought a thread might be in order to chat about the signings, the preseason, and onward to actual meaningful games.

As a Panther's fan, I'm pleased to see Newton signed and in camp. He's going to be hamstrung enough already by the lockout, so getting him into camp as fast as possible with the lockout over was crucial. I'm also pleased to see Richardson reversing course from last season, opening the checkbook, and taking care of some of the important pieces of the team. Jon Beason and Deangelo Williams have already been taken care of. Steve Smith reportedly will end up staying in Charlotte. They're shoring up the offensive and defensive lines, which to me is the most important thing to see. I firmly believe the O-line and D-line are the most important parts of the football team. An O-line that can protect the QB and open running lanes makes the skill players so much better. A D-line that can stuff the run and get pressure on the QB can make a mediocre secondary look awesome. I doubt the Panthers have any shot at the playoffs this year, but I'm more hopeful for, at least, a competitive season.

I was shocked by the Patriot's free agent signings of Haynesworth and Ochocinco. Bill Parcells must have tremendous faith in his own ability to get headstrong players to buy into the Pats' team-first philosophy. If he can get Haynesworth to play like he did in 2006, that'll be a heck of a signing.

Here's a link to the ESPN.com's free agent tracker. Insiders get the grades, but the rest of us schmucks at least can see where all of the free agents are going...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?&a...com%2fnfl%2ffa

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I was shocked by the Patriot's free agent signings of Haynesworth and Ochocinco. Bill Parcells must have tremendous faith in his own ability to get headstrong players to buy into the Pats' team-first philosophy. If he can get Haynesworth to play like he did in 2006, that'll be a heck of a signing.
    As a Redskins fan, I can assure you that Haynesworth will have a resurgence and be a major part of why the Patriots (whose pass rush wasn't all that great last year) succeed, at least on defense. He will play some weird position in their 3-4 system (more DE than NT, but get moved around) and be happy because they're a winning team.

I'm looking forward to the Redskins' plan this year: Suck for Luck. Either that, or John Beck/Rex Grossman will be better than anyone ever could imagine... but I doubt it.

I think you've got the Redskins' strategy nailed on the head. With Philly upgrading, and Dallas and NY both reasonably well positioned, the 'Skins look well locked into last place in the NFC East.

More excitement building in Charlotte as the Panthers have two excellent pass-catching tight ends to go along with Steve Smith and a couple of serviceable young receivers. The biggest question mark will be the guy throwing the passes. Reports indicate Cam Newton has been very dedicated to getting himself ready, but he's still a first year QB with some legitimate questions about whether his game is NFL ready.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I think you've got the Redskins' strategy nailed on the head. With Philly upgrading, and Dallas and NY both reasonably well positioned, the 'Skins look well locked into last place in the NFC East.

More excitement building in Charlotte as the Panthers have two excellent pass-catching tight ends to go along with Steve Smith and a couple of serviceable young receivers. The biggest question mark will be the guy throwing the passes. Reports indicate Cam Newton has been very dedicated to getting himself ready, but he's still a first year QB with some legitimate questions about whether his game is NFL ready.
    Another area the Panthers need help is in the secondary. As it is, the secondary is rather thin. Marshall walked in the offseason, which leaves us with Munnerlyn and Gamble. They sure as heck aren't Revis and Cromartie. We could sure use a decent corner to shore up that area, because it is indeed mediocre. I'm also hearing that the offense will be a lot more dink and dunk, which could bode well for a young QB who only has to make short reads.

I think the Panthers will be much improved, but the rest of the division is in their prime. Winning 3 games in the NFC South this season is the upper limit of my expectations, with 1-2 games being much more likely.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Another area the Panthers need help is in the secondary. As it is, the secondary is rather thin. Marshall walked in the offseason, which leaves us with Munnerlyn and Gamble. They sure as heck aren't Revis and Cromartie. We could sure use a decent corner to shore up that area, because it is indeed mediocre. I'm also hearing that the offense will be a lot more dink and dunk, which could bode well for a young QB who only has to make short reads.

I think the Panthers will be much improved, but the rest of the division is in their prime. Winning 3 games in the NFC South this season is the upper limit of my expectations, with 1-2 games being much more likely.
    Agreed on all points. The Panthers could substantially improve and still finish last in the NFC South. I've heard on sports radio (for whatever that's worth, which may not be much...) that the Panthers are exploring possibilities for bringing in a A-list cornerback. Whether that's true, and whether they actually manage to get someone to upgrade the position, are in question. A weak secondary could be assisted by the more aggressive blitzing scheme the Panthers are likely to employ this season, with the corners having to cover for only a few seconds. That being said, a guy like Brees could make the Panthers pay for blitzing if subpar corners are left on an island for even 3 or 4 seconds.

Here's Peter King:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vid...sct=nfl_t11_a1