Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    DeMarcus's team managed to keep their season alive with a narrow win at home. That sets up a final game for a spot in the championship.

Kyle was key to Real Madrid building an early lead at FC Barcelona, but the team collapsed down the stretch and ended up losing. They missed a really good opportunity to get the series off to a good start and to turn around the home-court advantage. Marty did not do much in his time.

Kyle and Marty tied up their series after a 4th quarter comeback. Things move to Madrid for Game 3 on Monday.

DeMarcus and his team try to reach the championship in a decisive Game 3 tomorrow.

DeMarcus fouled out as his team lost a first half lead and saw their season end before they could try to avenge their finals defeat of last season.

Kyle and Marty have games on at least Monday and Wednesday in Madrid as they try to clinch the championship at home.

Jess Foley is still in the middle of her regional league season.

Kyle and Marty are one game away from a championship after a blowout win over Barcelona in front of over 13,000 fans at home. They will try to close things out on Wednesday and avoid going back to Barcelona.

If Kyle and Marty want to win the title, they will have to do so at Barcelona on Saturday. Kyle's early scoring gave his team a small lead for a little while before the visitors used the scoring of 5 players to win and even the series. Kyle had a solid game while Marty did not do much in his limited time as a direct sub for Kyle in the 2nd quarter.

DeMarcus Nelson and Cholet looked to keep their season alive last Wednesday in Game 2 against LeMans. The team got off to a solid start in front of the home fans before surrendering the lead in the 3rd quarter, only to fight back in the 4th quarter for a 75-71 win. DeMarcus had 6 points and 5 assists in 38 minutes. Robert Dozier and Patrick Christopher had 16 points and 6 rebounds each. In the loss, ex-Gonzaga player J.P. Batista had 21 points, ex-Washington State player Taylor Rochestie had 17 points, and ex-Pepperdine player Alex Acker had 12 points and 7 rebounds. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.lnb.fr/fr/Pro-A/200009/Re...Cholet-Le-Mans

Kyle Singler, Marty Pocius, and Real Madrid started their Finals series with a trip to hated rivals FC Barcelona. Kyle keyed a strong start for the visitors as they held the lead for 3 quarters before letting the hosts comeback with a monumental 4th quarter effort with a 27-14 margin to win 81-80. Kyle had 11 points and 5 rebounds in 24 minutes while dealing with foul trouble late and Marty had 1 foul in 1 minute off the bench. Jaycee Carroll had 18 points. In the win, ex-Memphis Grizzlies player Juan Carlos Navarro had 21 points, ex-Michigan State player Erazem Lorbek had 18 points, and ex-Cincinnati player Pete Mickeal had 17 points. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.acb.com/fichas/LACB56329.php

On Friday, Kyle, Marty, and Real Madrid had Game 2 in Barcelona. They got off to a solid start before the hosts took the lead in the 3rd quarter, but the visitors turned the tables this time and made the 4th quarter comeback to win 75-69 and even the series up before moving on to Madrid. Kyle had 8 points in 19 minutes and Marty had 2 points in 11 minutes. Sergio Rodriguez had 14 points and Jaycee Carroll had 10 points. In the loss, Erazem Lorbek had 22 points, Juan Carlos Navarro had 11 points, and Pete Mickeal and former Texas high-schooler Marcelo Huertas had 10 points each. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.acb.com/fichas/LACB56330.php

On Monday, Kyle, Marty, and Real Madrid got to play in front of the home fans for Game 3 and started taking control in the 2nd quarter on the way to an 85-59 win to put themselves one game away from the title. Kyle had 4 points in 13 minutes as he battled early foul trouble and Marty had 1 point and 5 rebounds in 23 minutes off the bench. Jaycee Carroll had 17 points. Ex-Princeton player C.J. Wallace was the only player in double figures on the losing side as he had 13 points. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.acb.com/fichas/LACB56331.php

On Wednesday, Kyle, Marty, and Real Madrid had the chance to clinch the championship on their home court. Kyle had a good scoring start to give his team an early lead, but the visitors fought back and held the lead for the rest of the game on the way to an 81-75 win to set up Game 5 in Barcelona for the title. Kyle had 11 points and 5 rebounds in 34 minutes and Marty had a quiet 4 minutes coming off the bench for Kyle in the first half. Barcelona had 5 key contributes in the win as Erazem Lorbek had 24 points, C.J. Wallace had 16 points and 6 rebounds, Marcelo Huertas had 15 points, Pete Mickeal had 13 points and 8 rebounds, and Juan Carlos Navarro had 12 points. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.acb.com/fichas/LACB56332.php

On Saturday, Kyle, Marty, and Real Madrid had one game for the title as they returned to Barcelona to try to complete a year of turning the tide in Spanish sports. Kyle also knew that this was likely to be his last game ever for Real Madrid while Marty was hoping to end his club season on a winning note as he prepared to join the Lithuanian Basketball team for Olympic qualifiers. Coach Pablo Laso did what he had been doing all season and made a number of lineup changes to leave the two Duke guys on the bench at the start. The home team led throughout most of the game and a late comeback fell short as the final score was 73-69. Kyle had 12 points in 27 minutes and Marty was quiet in 3 first-half minutes. Jaycee Carroll had 16 points. In the win, Pete Mickeal had 17 points and 9 rebounds and Erazem Lorbek had 10 points and 6 rebounds. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.acb.com/fichas/LACB56333.php

Jess Foley and the Norwood Flames faced the Central Districts Lions and got back to winning ways with a 66-51 victory. Jess led her team with 27 points and 14 rebounds in 32 minutes and Amy Lewis contributed 15 points.

Thanks for your efforts on keeping us up-to-date on this. Very interesting and informative.

That was probably my last big update for the season as most leagues have now finished play. I will still do a few Jess Foley updates as regional league play continues into August in Australia. I will also update any player movement news as Kathleen Scheer is set to go to Australia when the national league starts again and Sheana Mosch is slated to make a return to France. There have also been reports that Cherokee Parks has agreed to play another season for Aubenas in the French 4th tier, where statistics are hard to come by.

Thank you to everyone who has read these updates all season long. I have enjoyed doing them and learning more about the big basketball world and following where Duke players of the past continue to pursue their basketball careers. As time permits, I hope to return to full updates when various seasons around the globe get going in the Fall. In the meantime, a number of current and former Duke players, not to mention the coaching staff, will be busy in international play this summer and I will be tracking down some of the harder to find information for those threads.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    That was probably my last big update for the season as most leagues have now finished play. I will still do a few Jess Foley updates as regional league play continues into August in Australia. I will also update any player movement news as Kathleen Scheer is set to go to Australia when the national league starts again and Sheana Mosch is slated to make a return to France. There have also been reports that Cherokee Parks has agreed to play another season for Aubenas in the French 4th tier, where statistics are hard to come by.

Thank you to everyone who has read these updates all season long. I have enjoyed doing them and learning more about the big basketball world and following where Duke players of the past continue to pursue their basketball careers. As time permits, I hope to return to full updates when various seasons around the globe get going in the Fall. In the meantime, a number of current and former Duke players, not to mention the coaching staff, will be busy in international play this summer and I will be tracking down some of the harder to find information for those threads.
    Excellent work, awhom. By my counts, you've posted 137 times in this thread, bringing much rich content to the DBR Boards over the last several months. Thanks for your efforts and for keeping us informed on our overseas alumni!
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Since I must spread some love around before thanking awhom111 again, I thought I'd post my gratitude here. Thank you for your diligence with this all year. It has been a joy to see that the players are still playing at a high level elsewhere. I remember knowing that Trajan was playing for Russia somewhere but I never knew how he was doing. With Kyle and Jon overseas, it was imperative that I know more than ever before. I thought I'd have to do some research to dig up their games once a week, but instead you did all the heavy lifting. Thanks for that!

Kyle coming back for summer league

Kyle is returning to play for Detroit's summer league team.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...troit-pistons/

Quote Originally Posted by basket1544 View Post
    Since I must spread some love around before thanking awhom111 again, I thought I'd post my gratitude here. Thank you for your diligence with this all year. It has been a joy to see that the players are still playing at a high level elsewhere. I remember knowing that Trajan was playing for Russia somewhere but I never knew how he was doing. With Kyle and Jon overseas, it was imperative that I know more than ever before. I thought I'd have to do some research to dig up their games once a week, but instead you did all the heavy lifting. Thanks for that!
    Co-Sign!!!

Thank you again to everyone who has been reading. Jess Foley had two games this weekend, so I thought it would be a good time for a mini-update:

On Saturday the Norwood Flames defeated the North Adelaide Rockets 88-61. Jess led her team with 27 points and 10 rebounds in 29 minutes. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_i...03177-0&pool=1

On Sunday, they defeated the Southern Tigers 63-55 as Jess led the way again and hit some key baskets as the team took control late in the game. She finished with 19 points, 8 rebounds, and 5 assists in 38 minutes and Amy Lewis had 15 points, 9 rebounds, and 6 steals. Here is the boxscore:

Jess Foley and the Norwood Flames continued their winning ways after beating the South Adelaide Panthers 80-68 on Saturday. Jess led her team again with 18 points and 7 rebounds in 27 minutes and Amy Lewis had 17 points. Here is the boxscore:

Player movement rumors swirl around at this time of year. Mistie Bass may be looking for another team this fall as her team of the past two seasons, Challes, has been experiencing financial issues that they may be unable to resolve. With a number of other clubs experiencing issues, the current economic situation is clearly affecting some of the less popular sports. When all is said and done, no teams might be promoted or relegated in Spain from this past season. There were also apparent major difficulties in finding 21 Women's teams who were willing to field a team in the upcoming Euroleague Women.

Jamal Boykin continues his basketball journey around the world as he is set to play for Groningen (sponsor name GasTerra Flames) in the Netherlands next season.

Draws to determine the groups of 4 of the 5 European basketball competitions were conducted today. Obviously there is still a lot of player movement to go (and other movement, like the rumor (or is it a rumour) that has been floated on a couple of Italian sites that Quin Snyder is joining the coaching staff at CSKA Moscow, which now seems much less likely after the latest round of NBA interviews), but you can see the groups of some of the teams that former Duke players played for this past season.

Euroleague (teams in groups listed in seed order, top 4 advance):
    Qualifiers (one team moves on, rest go to Eurocup, winners of first two and last two listed quarterfinal matchups will be semifinal opponents):
    UNICS Kazan (Russia) vs Ratiopharm Ulm (Germany)
    Le Mans Sarthe (France) vs Donetsk (Ukraine)
    Nymburk (Czech Republic) vs Oostende (Belgium)
    Pallacanestro Cantu (Italy) vs Lukoil Academic (Bulgaria)

Group A:
    Panathinaikos (Greece)
    Real Madrid (Spain)
    Khimki Moscow (Russia)
    Fenerbahce Ulker (Turkey)
    Olimpija Ljubljana (Slovenia)
    Qualifier

Group B:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv (Israel)
    Montepaschi Siena (Italy)
    ALBA Berlin (Germany)
    Unicaja Malaga (Spain)
    Asseco Prokom Gdynia (Poland)
    Elan Chalon (France)

Group C:
    Olympiakos (Greece)
    Caja Laboral Baskonia (Spain)
    Anadolu Efes (Turkey)
    Zalgiris Kaunas (Lithuania)
    Emporio Armani Milan (Italy)
    Cedevita Zagreb (Croatia)

Group D:
    FC Barcelona (Spain)
    CSKA Moscow (Russia)
    Partizan Belgrade (Serbia)
    Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania)
    Brose (Bamberg) (Germany)
    Besiktas (Turkey)

Eurocup teams (will include 7 teams that do not survive Euroleague qualifier, groups not drawn yet):
    Artland Dragons (Germany), Azovmash (Ukraine), Sassari (Italy), Banvit (Turkey), Spirou Charleroi (Belgium), Cholet (France), Red Star Belgrade (Serbia), EiffelTowers Den Bosch (Netherlands), Galatasaray (Turkey), Bilbao (Spain), Hapoel Jerusalem (Israel), Buducnost (Montenegro), Cibona Zagreb (Croatia), Lagun Aro San Sebastian (Spain), Lokomotiv Kuban (Russia), Orleans (France), Panionios (Greece), Rudupis (Lithuania), Wurzburg (Germany), Spartak St. Petersburg (Russia), Trefl Sopot (Poland), Valencia (Spain), Kolossos Rhodes (Greece), VEF Riga (Latvia)

EuroChallenge (3rd tier)
    Qualifying (two game series with second game at team listed first, qualifiers enter group as shown by number):
    1: Aliaga (Turkey) vs Joensuun Kataja (Finland)
    2: Apollon Limassol (Cyprus) vs Xion Dukes Klosterneuberg (Austria)
    3: Ural Ekaterinburg (Russia) vs Gaz Metan Medias (Romania)
    4: Tofas (Turkey) vs Rakvere Tarvas (Estonia)

Groups (top 2 advance):
    A: Krka Novo Mesto (Slovenia), ETHA Engomis (Cyprus), Pinar Karsiyaka (Turkey), Qualifier 4
    B: Krasnye Krylia (Russia), Keravnos (Cyprus), Asesoft Ploesti (Romania), Qualifer 1
    C: Ventspils (Latvia), Norrkoping Dolphins (Sweden), Tampereen Pyrinto (Finland), Sodertalje (Sweden)
    D: Khimik (Ukraine), University of Tartu (Estonia), Dijon (France), Qualifier 3
    E: Belfius Mons-Hainaut (Belgium), Okapi Aalstar (Belgium), Paris Levallois (France), Pitesti (Romania)
    F: Szolnoki Olaj (Hungary), EWE (Oldenburg) (Germany), Kormend (Hungary), Timisoara (Romania)
    G: Gravelines (France), Minsk 2006 (Belarus), Nancy (France), Qualifier 2
    H: Antwerp Giants (Belgium), Telekom (Bonn) (Germany), Armia (Georgia), Hapoel Holon (Israel)

Euroleague Women group (15 teams advance in total):

Group A:
    Rivas Ecopolis (Spain)
    Spartak Moscow (Russia)
    Wisla Krakow (Poland)
    Bourges (France)
    Gyor (Hungary)
    Brno (Czech Republic)
    Tarsus (Turkey)

Group B:
    Fenerbahce (Turkey)
    Famila Schio (Italy)
    Good Angels Kosice (Slovakia)
    Nadezhda Orenburg (Russia)
    Sopron (Hungary)
    Arras (France)
    Targoviste (Romania)

Group C:
    UMMC Ekaterinburg (Russia)
    Galatasaray (Turkey)
    Perfumerias Avenida (Spain)
    ZVVZ USK Prague (Czech Republic)
    CCC Polkowice (Poland)
    Mondeville (France)
    Novi Zagreb (Croatia)

EuroCup Women (2nd tier) groups (top 2 advance):
    A: Chevakata (Russia), Lattes Montpellier (France), Satu Mare (Romania), SISU (Denmark)
    B: Olimpia (Belarus), Hainaut (France), Ankara (Turkey), Lotto Young Cats (Belgium)
    C: Spartak Noginsk (Russia), Tarbes (France), Mersin (Turkey), Belfius Namur (Belgium)
    D: Dynamo GUVD (Russia), Nantes Reze (France), Wasserburg (Germany), Sint Katelijne (Belgium)
    E: Horizont (Belarus), Sodertalje (Sweden), Kayseri (Turkey)
    F: Dynamo Kursk (Russia), Dunav 8806 (Bulgaria), Botas (Turkey)
    G: Dynamo Moscow (Russia), Landes (France), Partizan Galenika (Serbia), VS Prague (Czech Republic)
    H: Ruzomberok (Slovakia), Elitzur Ramla (Israel), Antakya (Turkey), Kibirkstis (Lithuania)

Jess Foley and the Norwood Flames suffered only their second loss of the season as they fell 68-67 after a poor 4th quarter performance. Jess had 13 points and 10 rebounds in 35 minutes as Amy Lewis had 16 points and Marisa Stabile had 10 points. Here is the boxscore:

As reported in another thread and brought up here when the first rumors appeared, Quin Snyder has accepted the assistant coach position at CSKA Moscow and he has a contract for 2 seasons with an option for 1 more. I guess that we have one more former Dukie to track here in the fall!

There is also news floating around the internet that Mistie Bass is one of the Challes players that is moving to Lyon next season. Challes had financial difficulties and was forced to shut down, which opened up a spot for Lyon, Krystal Thomas's old team, to regain their top division place after being relegated last season.

Here is the link for Lyon signing Mistie Bass and several of her other Lyon teammates:
    http://www.lyonbasketfeminin.fr/un-n...lles-joueuses/

Also in French, here is a brief news item from Toulouse as they have re-signed Carrem Gay for another year after she helped them win promotion back to the top tier:
    http://www.basketlfb.com/toulouse/ar...&ART_N_ID=3292

Looks like France is the place to be for next season so far.

Here's a nice video someone (not me) put together of Kyle's highlights from the finals series vs. Barcelona. Good stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Here's a nice video someone (not me) put together of Kyle's highlights from the finals series vs. Barcelona. Good stuff:

Per usual, Kyle does a bit of everything. He drives and scores, he drives and dishes, he shoots a jumper in the lane off of a curl, he knocks down a few threes, he rebounds, plays excellent positional defense. He played for a very good Euro team, and the fact that he was a contributor during his rookie season is very impressive. Though he was prone to a few shooting slumps in college, Kyle always has had excellent form on his jumper. If he can knock down his jumpers in the NBA, I think he'll surprise people with how good he can be.

Jess and the Norwood Flames have finished their regular season in 1st place. Australia tends to use a playoff format with 5 teams. The top 2 teams will play each other in two weeks for 1 direct spot in the final.

On July 14th, Jess had 16 points in 31 minutes in a 60-51 win over the Sturt Sabres. Amy Lewis had 15 points.

On July 21st, Jess had 7 points in 7 rebounds in 22 minutes as they blasted the Woodville Warriors 87-33. Amy Lewis had 26 points and 6 steals.

Jess did not play as the Flames beat the West Adelaide Bearcats 71-62 on the 28th and they lost 68-59 to the Forestville Eagles.

A rumor currently making the rounds is that Real Madrid is trying to offload Marty. There are apparently a couple of suitors with Real Madrid trying to recover as much of the transfer fee they paid to Zalgiris Kaunas as possible.