Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Scheyer moving to Spain?

David McClure is also apparently on his way back to Neptunas, where he played 2 seasons ago. That could be a good move for him with a chance to prove himself in the VTB United League.

Here are the two official announcements for Jon at Gran Canaria 2014 (hope he likes long plane rides) and Olek in Rome (at Danny Ferry's former team):
    http://www.cbgrancanaria.net/index.p...n-canaria-2014
    http://www.virtusroma.it/news/ultimi...che-olek-czyz/

Jess Foley and the Norwood Flames will have to take the long path to the championship after losing earlier today. A full report will follow when the stats are available.

Also of note is the Women's Basketball team's current tour in France, but that should probably be in its own thread.

Jess Foley and the Norwood Flames finally got to start their playoffs this week as their first place finish in the regular season gave them the chance to win one game to advance straight to the final. They faced the North Adelaide Rockets, who had won the battle between the second place and third place teams. After fighting back from an early deficit, the Flames faded late and lost 83-78. Jess had 14 points in 31 minutes. Amy Lewis had 20 points and 6 assists while ex-Iowa State player Lauren Mansfield had 22 points and 6 assists in the win.

As a result of the loss, Jess and the Flames will be back in action next Saturday against the Forestville Eagles. With the Australian playoff format, the Eagles lost their first game to the second place Rockets, but they beat the Lions, who won the game between the fourth and fifth place team, to keep their season alive.

Here is the article with a picture and video of Jon's introduction and press conference on Gran Canaria:
    http://www.cbgrancanaria.net/index.p...ncia-en-europa

Looks like he has his number 30 back.

Jess Foley and the Norwood Flames are playing for the championship next week after defeating the third seed Forestville Eagles 65-64 in a nail-biter on Saturday. Jess Foley had 14 points after playing all 40 minutes and Amy Lewis added 14 points. The team moves on to the final against the North Adelaide Rockets on Saturday.

Elsewhere in Europe, preseason preparations are already underway for the new season. Reports on those games will come as they are available.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Here is the article with a picture and video of Jon's introduction and press conference on Gran Canaria:
    http://www.cbgrancanaria.net/index.p...ncia-en-europa

Looks like he has his number 30 back.
    It also appears that he has a fine handle on the Spanish language. Arriba Jon!

Sorry to see this. I thought he had carved out a niche in the NBA. Hope to see him back.

Here is the article from the team's main website:
    http://www.elanchalon.fr/accueil/news/569

This is a very interesting move. I certainly thought that Shelden would have some NBA opportunities. If he was going to play in Europe, I thought it would be more likely for him to find a team in Russia or near there so that he could be close to his wife and daughter during the season. This is probably not a particularly big money deal for him, but it is a pretty big coup for Elan Chalon, who are trying to strengthen their team for their Euroleague campaign although they are at risk of losing more players who were integral to winning the French League in the first place. Last season this was a team with a number of ex-ACC players and now it looks like they are finding more.

guybrush,
    Is there any news about where Daniel Ewing or DeMarcus Nelson might play this season? They are the two players who seem likely to play in Europe that I have not found any news for yet?

Here is the article from the team's main website:
    http://www.elanchalon.fr/accueil/news/569

This is a very interesting move. I certainly thought that Shelden would have some NBA opportunities. If he was going to play in Europe, I thought it would be more likely for him to find a team in Russia or near there so that he could be close to his wife and daughter during the season. This is probably not a particularly big money deal for him, but it is a pretty big coup for Elan Chalon, who are trying to strengthen their team for their Euroleague campaign although they are at risk of losing more players who were integral to winning the French League in the first place. Last season this was a team with a number of ex-ACC players and now it looks like they are finding more.

guybrush,
    Is there any news about where Daniel Ewing or DeMarcus Nelson might play this season? They are the two players who seem likely to play in Europe that I have not found any news for yet?
    Shelden is going to play the euroleague, he will love it, Ewing will play in Ukraine next year while Nelson is in france too at Cholet

Quote Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
    Shelden is going to play the euroleague, he will love it, Ewing will play in Ukraine next year while Nelson is in france too at Cholet
    Are both of them supposed to return to the teams they played with last year? Neither are currently listed on the roster's on the team's websites.

Are both of them supposed to return to the teams they played with last year? Neither are currently listed on the roster's on the team's websites.
    Sorry my friend, this morning I was so sleepy and I didn't notice that those signings were dated 2011! They're both free agents right now.

Carrem Gay is in the middle of preseason preparations with Toulouse as they look to build on last season. They split a pair of games against fellow French team Tarbes with Carrem scoring 10 points in the second game. A brief recap can be found here:
    http://www.basketlfb.com/toulouse/ar...6&ARB_N_ID=525

Sheana Mosch is scheduled to report to her French team shortly as well.

Reports are floating around that Chante Black will play for Samsun in Turkey after the WNBA season as news on WNBA players can be a bit slow in filtering out as teams and players make their plans.

A little surprised at Shelden going overseas; thought he'd get an NBA roster spot. He's played better
    in recent years. Maybe he didn't want to wait until last cuts at training camp to find out if he'd made it.
    I note it has not been posted yet on his web site (www.sheldenwilliams.com).

As for Jon, no surprise there. He was marked as a Euroleague player even before the eye injury. I'd
    say it's pretty unlikely he'll ever play in the NBA; he's two years out now, and his chances to make it
    will likely not improve over time. Hope he has fun playing in France (better than playing in the D league!).

Jess Foley is a champion after she and the Norwood Flames beat the North Adelaide Rockets 87-67 to win the State League on Saturday. Jess had 20 points in 32 minutes and Amy Lewis had 26 points. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_i...77-0&pool=1001

Carrem Gay and Toulouse continued preseason with a 70-61 over Peripignan, who was also promoted after last season. There are no further details available.

Marty Pocius and Real Madrid have also started their preseason with a three day tournament involving three teams. They played their first game yesterday on the second day of the tournament as they faced Croatian club Cibona. Marty had 2 points off the bench in a 95-68 win. I will do a more full introduction of the team as the regular season approaches and the roster is more finalized, but there are a few names that you may recognize. In the win, Nikola Mirotic had 28 points, Sergio Llull had 20 points, Rudy Fernandez had 11 points, and new player Marcus Slaughter, who went to San Diego State, had 10 points. In the loss, ex-Baylor player Tweety Carter had 11 points in the loss. Here is a write-up of the game:
    http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php?id=87368

On Saturday, Real Madrid faced the other Spanish team in the tournament and got another win as they beat Unicaja Malaga 82-65. Marty had 5 points off the bench as Nikola Mirotic had 20 points, Felipe Reyes had 16 points, and Rudy Fernandez had 12 points. In the loss, ex-UConn player Marcus Williams had 11 points. Here is the write-up on this game:
    http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php?id=87383

Shel may be at a stage in his life where he wants to be playing a shorter season so he can be with Laila and Candace more. Candace generally plays in Russia during the NBA season.

Quote Originally Posted by basket1544 View Post
    Shel may be at a stage in his life where he wants to be playing a shorter season so he can be with Laila and Candace more. Candace generally plays in Russia during the NBA season.
    Yes, it seems as if Shelden would prefer to have fun playing basketball while staying closer to his family. He's got a pretty wife and young child, basketball is no longer the most important thing in his life. All the best to Shelden.

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellBlueDevil View Post
    Yes, it seems as if Shelden would prefer to have fun playing basketball while staying closer to his family. He's got a pretty wife and young child, basketball is no longer the most important thing in his life. All the best to Shelden.
    Perhaps. Seems like a making lemonade-out-of-lemons response. The counter-argument is that he is 28 years old (29 next month) and his big-money making window is closing. So, it seems curious to be to voluntarily spend any of that away from the NBA.