Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Awesome.
    My wife was out with some of her younger coworkers the other night. One of them asked this trivia question:

"Who originally sang 'Notorious'?'.

My wife had the same reaction as I did... "Wow, I didn't realize Duran Duran covered that. Who sang it first?"

Anway, she hesitated a second, trying to decide if it was a trick question but answered "Duran duran?"

"Wow! Yeah - have you actually heard of that band? That's my go to trivia question when I want to stump people!"

My wife and both agreed that a better trivia question would be "Who covered 'Notorious'?" We have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    My wife was out with some of her younger coworkers the other night. One of them asked this trivia question:

"Who originally sang 'Notorious'?'.

My wife had the same reaction as I did... "Wow, I didn't realize Duran Duran covered that. Who sang it first?"

Anway, she hesitated a second, trying to decide if it was a trick question but answered "Duran duran?"

"Wow! Yeah - have you actually heard of that band? That's my go to trivia question when I want to stump people!"

My wife and both agreed that a better trivia question would be "Who covered 'Notorious'?" We have no idea.
    The first time I heard a Jefferson Airplane song muzak-d up and playing in a Food Lion, I knew I had turned a dark corner.

{sigh}

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The first time I heard a Jefferson Airplane song muzak-d up and playing in a Food Lion, I knew I had turned a dark corner.

{sigh}
    I'm no even 50 yet, but I have lived through:
    1. Laughing (in the late '70s) with someone recounting the tale of overhearing some youngsters arguing over whether Paul McCartney was ever in a band before Wings; then
    2. Retelling the story in the '90s to a younger person who asked "Who is Wings?" - then
    3. Later still, being asked who Paul McCartney is.

it's so funny where the kid's time line of recognition is...i remember that my son brought some kids from his summer camp over to my studio for a field trip. the ages ran from about 10-16...they all stood in the control room and ooh'd and ahhh'd at all the gear.

the questions were funny as well. "is this a radio station?" - "what do all those dials do?" "what's that thing? (looking at my analog 24 track)

One little girl raised her hand and when called on, she asked, "have you ever worked with anyone famous?" I said, "well yes i have, (went straight to the big names) I've worked with Hootie and the Blowfish".......

crickets...

dang..."ummm...i've worked with Clay Aiken".....more blank stares, one little girl said "my mommy likes him"...

"Gnarls Barkley?" i ventured....going for the hip-hop connection....more crickets...

man, i was flaming out in front of my son. I definitely wasn't gonna drop Lynyrd Skynyrd or Velvet Revolver or Corrosion Of Conformity, or Cravin' Melon, or any of the older stuff, so i said (sheepishly) "Ummm I mixed Ghost Recon II for PS3 and XBOX"....

"YES!!!" they all screamed..."YOU ROCK!!"

point is....you gotta keep in mind where these kids are coming from in terms of decades...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    it's so funny where the kid's time line of recognition is...i remember that my son brought some kids from his summer camp over to my studio for a field trip. the ages ran from about 10-16...they all stood in the control room and ooh'd and ahhh'd at all the gear.

the questions were funny as well. "is this a radio station?" - "what do all those dials do?" "what's that thing? (looking at my analog 24 track)

One little girl raised her hand and when called on, she asked, "have you ever worked with anyone famous?" I said, "well yes i have, (went straight to the big names) I've worked with Hootie and the Blowfish".......

crickets...

dang..."ummm...i've worked with Clay Aiken".....more blank stares, one little girl said "my mommy likes him"...

"Gnarls Barkley?" i ventured....going for the hip-hop connection....more crickets...

man, i was flaming out in front of my son. I definitely wasn't gonna drop Lynyrd Skynyrd or Velvet Revolver or Corrosion Of Conformity, or Cravin' Melon, or any of the older stuff, so i said (sheepishly) "Ummm I mixed Ghost Recon II for PS3 and XBOX"....

"YES!!!" they all screamed..."YOU ROCK!!"

point is....you gotta keep in mind where these kids are coming from in terms of decades...
    Dude, I want your job. OPK

On the bright side, my seven-year old son told me that his favorite band is The Rolling Stones. So there is hope for the next generation.

Talking to my 21 yo son today, and he was lamenting how bad movies are "these days." He continued by noting that they are re-releasing "Lion King" in IMAX, and challenged me to name a better kids' flick that came out since then (other than "Alladin," we couldn't remember which was first). I know many on this board are big Pixar fans, but I have to agree with my son!

The Incredibles rivals the lion king, IMHO....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    On the other hand, IMnotsoHO the Doors are possibly the worst band to ever enter the pantheon of rock megafame. I'm embarassed every time I hear one of their songs, which thankfully is pretty rarely.
    We are going to have to just agree to disagree. Perhaps it is generational or maybe it is just subjective taste in music, but I'm a big Doors fan. Songs such as "20th Century Fox" "Back Door Man" and "Riders on the Storm" are timeless.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    We are going to have to just agree to disagree. Perhaps it is generational or maybe it is just subjective taste in music, but I'm a big Doors fan. Songs such as "20th Century Fox" "Back Door Man" and "Riders on the Storm" are timeless.
    L.A. Woman and Love Her Madly are pretty awesome, too, when riding around on a spring/summer/fall day with the windows open and the music playing about 100dB+, which is just loud enough now so my 57 year old ears can hear them.

the poetry of morrison collides with the musical genius of ray manzarek. the record was made in something like a week...on a 4 track tape deck. Paul rothchild captured lightning in a bottle...I've worked in that studio...the vibe is overwhelming...(not just for the doors album)

amazing record...

the poetry of morrison collides with the musical genius of ray manzarek. the record was made in something like a week...on a 4 track tape deck. Paul rothchild captured lightning in a bottle...I've worked in that studio...the vibe is overwhelming...(not just for the doors album)

amazing record...
    Interesting. Just pulled my Best of the Doors CD off the rack for tomorrow's listening pleasure and the production of the 2 tracks I mentioned were both credited to Bruce Botnick and The Doors. Today's and tonight's listening pleasure will be a few Leo Kottke CDs and his concert tonight at the NC Museum of Art.

No drugs found in Amy W.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ef=abc-fb-recs

Alcohol present but no say on the amount.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Yow! I'm going on 59, but so glad to be discovering new music even now. May I suggest some Americana for you old farts? Lots of talent out there, and the sound is recognizable to us elders. "

YES!!! No doubt Amy Winehouse had some talent but there are literally hundreds of musicians and singer-songwriters within the "Roots music" "Alt Country" and "Americana" genres with as much or more talent than Amy had and most of them you may have never heard of since they aren't mentioned in the tabloids.

If you have never listened to a Patty Griffin record you should buy one today, take a long drive and crank it up. Chances are that disc will play 5 or 6 more times before you even think about listening to anything else. Steve Earle said about her that "she writes songs so good they make me jealous" and her voice is unforgettable. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEOBPaULLps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOxpvKuEruk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jac5t...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    YES!!! No doubt Amy Winehouse had some talent but there are literally hundreds of musicians and singer-songwriters within the "Roots music" "Alt Country" and "Americana" genres with as much or more talent than Amy had and most of them you may have never heard of since they aren't mentioned in the tabloids.

If you have never listened to a Patty Griffin record you should buy one today, take a long drive and crank it up. Chances are that disc will play 5 or 6 more times before you even think about listening to anything else. Steve Earle said about her that "she writes songs so good they make me jealous" and her voice is unforgettable. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEOBPaULLps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOxpvKuEruk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jac5t...eature=related
    Patty Griffin

Nanci Griffith

Rory Block

Gillian Welch

_______

Todd Snider

James McMurtry

Lots of good roots.

Patty Griffin

Nanci Griffith

Rory Block

Gillian Welch

_______

Todd Snider

James McMurtry

Lots of good roots.
    Hey, you stole my list!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

don't forget our very own Tift Merritt...

Or Jon Shain.

Ryan Adams, Caitlin Cary
    Southern Culture on the Skids
    David Wilcox
    Jim Lauderdale

All Roots Musicians with roots in NC

Patty Griffin

Nanci Griffith

Rory Block

Gillian Welch

_______

Todd Snider

James McMurtry

Lots of good roots.
    Lucinda Williams, John Hiatt, Kelly Willis, Lyle Lovett, Dave Alvin, Richard Thompson, Shawn Colvin, Buddy Miller, Son Volt, Wilko, The Derrailers...too many to list