Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Amy Winehouse (1983-2011)

This is terribly sad. And terribly unsurprising.

Age 27 is a hell of a year for popular musicians.

If the following were her [and her producer's] only four minutes on earth, she'd still have earned everlasting worth. (Language NSFW, but beeped).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJAfLE39ZZ8&ob=av2n

I remember the first time I heard this song, and since I'd only heard "Rehab," on the radio, I didn't know any of her other songs. I was shocked. (Not that there's anything wrong with "Rehab"). "Back to Black" is note-perfect, letter perfect, her voice, the tambourines, the piano, d-minor. It's so good I can't stand it.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 07-24-2011 at 12:34 AM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Amy Winehouse dies... No no no

I guess this is a shocker because she was so young and so talented, but she was just so self-destructive... What a waste. What a pity.

Police confirmed that a 27-year-old female was pronounced dead at the home in Camden Square northern London; the cause of death was not immediately known. London Ambulance Services said Winehouse had died before the two ambulance crews it sent arrived at the scene.
    --Jason "they tried to make her go to rehab..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

money, drugs and love interests......but not necessarily in that order, are the things most likely to bring down persons of fame...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I saw the news of Amy Winehouse, on my Homepage. So very sad and tragic, but indeed not surprising. She recently had a concert, and stumbled across the stage (June). The show was stopped and her tour was on hold.

Hopefully, her drug usage and death will be a wake up call for others headed in the same direction. Get to rehab and clean yourself up and live a healthy lifestyle.

Prayers and vibes for her family, friends, fans and all she impacted with her music. Gone too soon!

All at Age 27 -- Wow!

The lead from an article I pulled off MSNBC:

By Gael Fashingbauer Cooper

TODAY.com

In a tragic twist, Amy Winehouse has died at the same young age as so many musicians before her. Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin also died at 27.
    sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    This is terribly sad. And terribly unsurprising.

Age 27 is a hell of a year for popular musicians.

If the following were her [and her producer's] only four minutes on earth, she'd still have earned everlasting worth. (Language NSFW, but beeped).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJAfLE39ZZ8&ob=av2n

I remember the first time I heard this song, and since I'd only heard "Rehab," on the radio, I didn't know any of her other songs. I was shocked. (Not that there's anything wrong with "Rehab"). "Back to Black" is note-perfect, letter perfect, her voice, the tambourines, the piano, d-minor. It's so good I can't stand it.
    When I listened to the album for the first time, I remember stopping after "Back to Black" and just going, "WOOOOOOW." The entire album was outstanding, and it's just a shame that another incredible voice has been apparently lost to drugs. And at such a young age. If she had got herself cleaned up, I believe she would have been one of the great soul singers ever. Instead, it's another talented act gone too soon.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Well... even though this event flirted on the horizon like a ghost, Amy's death hit me like a ton of bricks for some reason. I can't explain it and won't try.

I can only agree with you folks that an immensely talented artist has been silenced, apparently with all the help she could give to the project.

Our loss is real, though. She had a unique gift that nobody else will be able to give in quite the same effortless way. They were different in their tactics, but both Winehouse and Joplin seemed not only to define their brand of music, they were the only ones capable of making it.

So sad. She seemed to be a very nice person with a great sense of humor.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    When I listened to the album for the first time, I remember stopping after "Back to Black" and just going, "WOOOOOOW." The entire album was outstanding, and it's just a shame that another incredible voice has been apparently lost to drugs. And at such a young age. If she had got herself cleaned up, I believe she would have been one of the great soul singers ever. Instead, it's another talented act gone too soon.
    I know, right? That song...It's got a Phil Spectorish (in the best sense) sonic. Just POW! And her sound is exactly perfect for it. The first time I heard it, I couldn't believe my ears. It was like Ronnie Spector but better. No offense to Ronnie, because I love her.

It's like, you knew this was coming, probably. But still, it breaks me up.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The lead from an article I pulled off MSNBC:

sagegrouse
    It's a shame she self-destructed, but I'm sorry, Amy Winehouse should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Joplin, Hendrix, Morrison, and Cobain. Hers comes nowhere close to their bodies of work and nowhere close to the lasting cultural impact of those four global icons. Different universe. It won't be all that long before most people forget who Amy Winehouse was. Those other four will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    It's a shame she self-destructed, but I'm sorry, Amy Winehouse should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Joplin, Hendrix, Morrison, and Cobain. Hers comes nowhere close to their bodies of work and nowhere close to the lasting cultural impact of those four global icons. Different universe. It won't be all that long before most people forget who Amy Winehouse was. Those other four will never be forgotten.
    Well I'm not familiar with Winehouse's music, but I'd say the same about Kurt Cobain. His music never was and never will be equal to the contributions of Joplin, Hendrix and Morrison.

In regard to cultural impact, if dressing like a complete slob and ignoring basic hygiene is considered a contribution, then I say Cobain did make a lasting impact because, unfortunately, the grunge look is still alive and kicking in the Pacific Northwest.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Oh, I expect we're talking exactly the same universe. All (including Amy) were very talented musicians who, because of drug use, denied both to themselves and their fans a musical legacy that might have caused them to be as famous in life as they became when they died.

I fully expect Amy Winehouse, with her 5 Grammys garnered for one album (Back to Black), will easily stand the test of time. Her talent is undeniable. Her looks and lifestyle will garner a fascination in death that may eclipse the attention she had while living. The lack of a "body of work", as you call it, will only cement her status as a legend.

I reserve the right to be wrong, but I don't think Amy will fade away within the next 40-50 years, anyway.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Well I'm not familiar with Winehouse's music, but I'd say the same about Kurt Cobain. His music never was and never will be equal to the contributions of Joplin, Hendrix and Morrison.

In regard to cultural impact, if dressing like a complete slob and ignoring basic hygiene is considered a contribution, then I say Cobain did make a lasting impact because, unfortunately, the grunge look is still alive and kicking in the Pacific Northwest.
    Sounds like a generational thing to me. I mean, Hendrix and Jim Morrison weren't the epitome of "dapper."

That said, Cobain's life/death definitely put him on a pedestal that others of his generation (Vedder, Cornell, even Staley/Cantrell) may have more richly deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Clearly, taste in music is subjective, and Jimi Hendrix is in his own category at the top of whichever popular music mountain you construct. But, for my money and for a lot of others, including many respected rock critics and scholars, Cobain trumps Joplin and Morrison isn't even close to either of them.

If there's a Rock 'n Roll heaven, ...

Amy's service was held on Tuesday. Ms Winehouse was also cremated. RIP Amy, and may you find peace with your soul.

The tox results will take 2 - 4 weeks to come back. I hope her death will be a wakeup call for anyone battling the demon of Addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    Amy's service was held on Tuesday. Ms Winehouse was also cremated. RIP Amy, and may you find peace with your soul.

The tox results will take 2 - 4 weeks to come back. I hope her death will be a wakeup call for anyone battling the demon of Addiction.
    I do, also. But addiction is a disease and not just a question of willpower. Perhaps in the future there will be treatments for addictions that will involve a whole new strategy/set of drugs and get much better results.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post

It won't be. In my experience working with hardened alcohol and drug addicts, these folks don't begin to turn things around until they hit bottom and are ready to look in the mirror and look at their own lives and take responsibility for the choices the've made and continue to make. They're unmoved by the fact that some celebrity who had the world in the palm of her hands blew it and bit the dust. They hear about it, say OK, and move on to the next fix. Sad but true.

Back to Black Raw

For anyone who thought that the excellent production and arrangements had more to do with Amy's hits than her own talent, here is a version of B to B done live with only a lead guitarist and bass guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah33Up5NTB4

I had heard quite a few versions of many of her songs, but I'm now beginning to realize why singers like Amy are "discovered" by some fans only after their deaths.

A nice tribute from Russell Brand: http://www.russellbrand.tv/2011/07/for-amy/

When you love someone who suffers from the disease of addiction you await the phone call. There will be a phone call. The sincere hope is that the call will be from the addict themselves, telling you they’ve had enough, that they’re ready to stop, ready to try something new. Of course though, you fear the other call, the sad nocturnal chime from a friend or relative telling you it’s too late, she’s gone

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Clearly, taste in music is subjective, and Jimi Hendrix is in his own category at the top of whichever popular music mountain you construct. But, for my money and for a lot of others, including many respected rock critics and scholars, Cobain trumps Joplin and Morrison isn't even close to either of them.
    Must be a generational thing, but I grew up listening to Jim Morrison and the Doors (real-time) and consider him to be artistically far better that Cobain. I didn't like Cobain's music in the nineties and still don't. The Doors music is timeless.
    Tom Mac