Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Has no one read any comments from Adam Scott. He is thrilled to have Stevie on the bag. He says he needed that boost of confidence and swagger that he was lacking before. He said he didn't have a problem with what Stevie had to say in the interview. I swear he said it himself! I personally do not begrudge Stevie for what he said and I don't think Scott does either.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Has no one read any comments from Adam Scott. He is thrilled to have Stevie on the bag. He says he needed that boost of confidence and swagger that he was lacking before. He said he didn't have a problem with what Stevie had to say in the interview. I swear he said it himself! I personally do not begrudge Stevie for what he said and I don't think Scott does either.
    Dukiecb - I don't think anyone here commented on what Scott actually said. I don't want to speak for anyone here but some people thought it was a little over the top.

It was more what we'd do if we were Adam Scott. Boy how I'd like to be Adam Scott right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    Dukiecb - I don't think anyone here commented on what Scott actually said. I don't want to speak for anyone here but some people thought it was a little over the top.

It was more what we'd do if we were Adam Scott. Boy how I'd like to be Adam Scott right now...
    Precisely. And yes, I'd gladly deal with whatever hassles using a belly putter at the age of 30 brings to play golf the way Adam Scott is right about now. (Although I'd rather have Scott's game from 2006 ).

I understand everyone was contemplating what they would do if they were Scott but I still think it is interesting to see exactly how HE feels about the situation. You can't deny that Scott has suffered from overly high expectations and the tendency to be less than intimidating at times. He said himself that Stevie brought him that confidence and toughness he had been missing. To paraphrase one quote I read, he said that he was feeding off of the crowd even though half of the cheers were for Stevie and half for himself. I think Scott is relishing the fact that he has the best caddie in the game, even if he is over the top and egocentric at times.

Worth noting that I happened to catch the top of both PTI and Around the Horn today and everyone just killed Steve Williams. All 6 of the sportswriter commentators on those two shows buried him. And anyone who has seen those shows knows that generally, a couple guys will go against the grain if only to have something outside-the-box to say. Well, not on this issue -- there was complete agreement that Stevie was waay out of bounds.

It was pointed out that the general public cannot name a single other caddy besides Stevie, to which one of the commentators said, "Tiger made this guy rich and famous. Instead of attacking Tiger, Steve Williams should be writing Tiger a thank you note every single day for the rest of his life!"

--Jason "a favorite line was, 'he hands the guy a 4-iron, stands back, and then acts like he hit the shot!'" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Worth noting that I happened to catch the top of both PTI and Around the Horn today and everyone just killed Steve Williams. All 6 of the sportswriter commentators on those two shows buried him. And anyone who has seen those shows knows that generally, a couple guys will go against the grain if only to have something outside-the-box to say. Well, not on this issue -- there was complete agreement that Stevie was waay out of bounds.

It was pointed out that the general public cannot name a single other caddy besides Stevie, to which one of the commentators said, "Tiger made this guy rich and famous. Instead of attacking Tiger, Steve Williams should be writing Tiger a thank you note every single day for the rest of his life!"

--Jason "a favorite line was, 'he hands the guy a 4-iron, stands back, and then acts like he hit the shot!'" Evans
    Jason - I saw that same PTI yesterday. I wonder if Steve is checking his backside today wondering it there's anything left of it. Was it Woody that made the comment no one could name another caddie? I thought of Fluff and that woman who caddied for Faldo during his heyday. I think her name was Fanny. This is going to be one heck of an interesting week.

I can't help but laugh because the phrase "Stevie Williams" has now become an adjective to describe someone who goes beserk about losing his job, as in the following sentence from a story today about the NY Jets coach, Rex Ryan, criticizing one of his former players who went to play for the Patriots:

"There's no need to go all Stevie Williams on departing players, Rex. Wait until they say they like Bill Belichick better before taking shots at them."

I understand everyone was contemplating what they would do if they were Scott but I still think it is interesting to see exactly how HE feels about the situation. You can't deny that Scott has suffered from overly high expectations and the tendency to be less than intimidating at times. He said himself that Stevie brought him that confidence and toughness he had been missing. To paraphrase one quote I read, he said that he was feeding off of the crowd even though half of the cheers were for Stevie and half for himself. I think Scott is relishing the fact that he has the best caddie in the game, even if he is over the top and egocentric at times.
    No question about that. In fact, Steve and Adam could be a perfect match. Steve can bring out the aggressive part of Scott's game that's been missing. You nailed it on the head with your comment about Adam's timidness. This could potentially turn out to be something very special. A little early yet, but the early returns suggest this might really work.

I disagree with the pundits that belittle Stevie's contribution: "hand Scott a 4-iron and step back." While Scott may have won the tourney without Stevie (and Stevie's mentoring
    the last few tournaments), I think Stevie had a lot to do with the victory. Pro golfers are SO good, and the courses SO tough, there really is little margin for error. Having a guy
    who can keep Scott and all his talent on the edge is invaluable.

That said, Stevie isn't going to caddy for me and win the Masters anytime soon.

Frankly, Stevie deserved to be the story this week. Let's say Scott had won the tourney without Stevie, all we would have heard about is Tiger's comeback attempt (big friggin deal)
    and about 19 year-old Ryo. Scott wouldn't have been much of a story except maybe for the long putter and "why hasn't he won more?"

I don't put any stock in this at all. Once Williams did the interview, Scott had only three real options:

1) say nothing and watch the media circus grow as people ask, "What does Adam Scott think about this?"
    2) issue some sort of public scolding to Williams, possibly ruining the working relationship that he presumably wants to maintain
    or
    3) give a public show of support to Williams.

I find it unfathomable that someone with the competitive streak necessary to reach Scott's golfing heights could read or hear Williams's quotes and be okay with them. I expect that behind the scenes, Scott has had church with Williams and we won't be hearing 27 first-person pronouns over any more 90-second stretches from caddies. But if I'm wrong, and the only thing standing between Scott and winning tournaments really was a confidence boost from a caddie, well, let's just say I won't be wagering any money on Adam Scott to win a major anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    I don't put any stock in this at all. Once Williams did the interview, Scott had only three real options...But if I'm wrong, and the only thing standing between Scott and winning tournaments really was a confidence boost from a caddie, well, let's just say I won't be wagering any money on Adam Scott to win a major anytime soon.
    Agreed. He just won a big tournament and is on an upward trajectory for the first time in years, so of course he's lavishing praise on anyone tangentially connected to it. But it has a lot more to do with the putter and some swing training than it does the caddie.

Scott didn't need Steve Williams five years ago when he was piling up top 10's left and right and emerging as the first serious threat to Woods from a younger player. Obviously, something happened to his game after that breakout season, and that's affected his confidence, in the years since. So now he's in a place where it appears he gets a helpful jolt of confidence from an outwardly confident caddie. But in 2006, it's just as likely a caddie like Williams might have pushed his demeanor too far the other way to disastrous results.

Question Tiger vs. Adam?

Anyone else here believe that Tiger is almost certain to finish ahead of Adam Scott and Steve Williams this week at the PGA? Tiger may have problems with his swing, but I don't think he'll have problems with his focus.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Anyone else here believe that Tiger is almost certain to finish ahead of Adam Scott and Steve Williams this week at the PGA? Tiger may have problems with his swing, but I don't think he'll have problems with his focus.

sagegrouse
    IF this were the "Tiger" of old, I would agree with you. But, right now, Tiger does not have either the physical game or the mental edge that he once possessed. Maybe he will get that back (eventually), but, I would bet on Adam Scott finishing ahead of him at this week's PGA Championship (and you know Stevie will be whipping Adam like a second-place jockey on the home stretch at the Kentucky Derby to beat Tiger's pants off of him).

Talking Tiger at the PGA?

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    IF this were the "Tiger" of old, I would agree with you. But, right now, Tiger does not have either the physical game or the mental edge that he once possessed. Maybe he will get that back (eventually), but, I would bet on Adam Scott finishing ahead of him at this week's PGA Championship (and you know Stevie will be whipping Adam like a second-place jockey on the home stretch at the Kentucky Derby to beat Tiger's pants off of him).
    We'll see. Tiger was the number one player on tour in 2009, with six victories and the lowest scoring average. While some water has gone under the bridge since then, I wouldn't discount his ability to win just yet. And the estimable Stevie Williams doesn't even read putts, so it is not exactly clear to me how he affects a golf tournament. But, just the same, I would like to see a Tiger-Adam head-to-head pairing on Saturday or Sunday in Atlanta.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    We'll see. Tiger was the number one player on tour in 2009, with six victories and the lowest scoring average. While some water has gone under the bridge since then, I wouldn't discount his ability to win just yet. And the estimable Stevie Williams doesn't even read putts, so it is not exactly clear to me how he affects a golf tournament. But, just the same, I would like to see a Tiger-Adam head-to-head pairing on Saturday or Sunday in Atlanta.

sagegrouse
    Nothing suggests Tiger can put 4 productive days together. He's too erratic. It seems to me that the swing he's working on isn't in muscle memory yet resulting in some good holes, some bad ones. If history repeats itself and he finally "gets it", he'll likely go on a roll and look like the old Tiger. I do agree with the stance he probably won't ever regain the greatness he once had.

If the PGA had a good sense of humor, they'd pair Adam and Tiger before the w/e.

If the PGA had a good sense of humor, they'd pair Adam and Tiger before the w/e.
    That would be awesome and I would love to see it even though we all know it will never happen.

Put me down for Scott finishing ahead of Woods this week. Even if Scott has a drop off, I still don't think Tiger is going to be able to put together a decent score on a course set up for a major. He's still a long way from getting "it" back.

... If the PGA had a good sense of humor, they'd pair Adam and Tiger before the w/e.
    It would be hilarious. Stevie would ride Scott like a Lipizzaner stallion, who would likely have a meltdown by the tenth hole. But Tiger would likely blow out both knees, a hip, and maybe a shoulder, while trying to reclaim his Tigerness and put Stevie and the Pretender in their place. Must see TV.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Tiger has trouble keeping his pants on as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Tiger has trouble keeping his pants on as it is.
    LOL. So true !!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It would be hilarious. Stevie would ride Scott like a Lipizzaner stallion, who would likely have a meltdown by the tenth hole. But Tiger would likely blow out both knees, a hip, and maybe a shoulder, while trying to reclaim his Tigerness and put Stevie and the Pretender in their place. Must see TV.
    yea, no doubt the ratings would be through the roof IF those two were paired, for a golf tournament in the summer !! I'm sure the PGA is NOT that sadistic, however.