Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Tiger dumps Steve Williams as caddie / PGA Championship thread

According to an AP report, Tiger has relieved Steve Williams from his duties as caddie. Williams has worked the last two majors for Adam Scott and I wondered if there was something to it and I guess now we know.

The question now is who will replace him? With Tigers injuries and poor play of late, is this the job a high profile caddie would even want?
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    According to an AP report, Tiger has relieved Steve Williams from his duties as caddie. Williams has worked the last two majors for Adam Scott and I wondered if there was something to it and I guess now we know.

The question now is who will replace him? With Tigers injuries and poor play of late, is this the job a high profile caddie would even want?
    Heck, if no body wants the job, I'll take it; provided he pays my dog sitting expenses.

Hard to name any other caddy on tour other than Tiger's. What's more, I believe Tiger pays his caddy a flat fee, not a percentage of winnings, so it is more steady income (and probably higher income) than other caddying gigs.

So, if you care about fame or fortune, you would drop pretty much anyone else to caddy for Tiger. Maybe Rory's or some other young hotshot's caddy might not go to Tiger because they would want the longevity of the younger career, but aside from that, I suspect Tiger gets his pick.

-Jason "he is still far and away the richest dude in golf" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I can't imagine it's a laff riot working for Eldrick, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Hard to name any other caddy on tour other than Tiger's.
    Fluff Cowan. Of course, he used to caddy for Tiger before Steve Williams so maybe that doesn't count as an answer to your challenge.

If no one else wants the job, I'll caddy for Tiger.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Fluff Cowan. Of course, he used to caddy for Tiger before Steve Williams so maybe that doesn't count as an answer to your challenge.

If no one else wants the job, I'll caddy for Tiger.
    Bones caddies for Michelson.

Talking Another One

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Bones caddies for Michelson.
    Fanny (Sunneson) caddies for Padraig; formerly with Nick Faldo.

sagegrouse

Wise move. Everything that's happened to Tiger in the last two years has clearly been his caddie's fault.

What's more, I believe Tiger pays his caddy a flat fee, not a percentage of winnings, so it is more steady income (and probably higher income) than other caddying gigs.

I read an article online the other day (sorry can't remember where) that Tiger may be having a "cash flow problem" with his big/expensive new house and divorce settlement plus his life style. Maybe this is related since he has to continue to pay Steve even though he's not playing.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 07-21-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Talking Golf's Solar System?

IMHO [Humble? Yeah right!] this story is just another excuse to file articles on Tiger Woods, the sun around whom the golf solar system has revolved for the past 15 years. For whom else would the replacement of a caddy be front page news on ESPN and elsewhere?

sagegrouse
    'BTW I don't think it makes a difference who caddies for Tiger, esp. since his problem is that he can't even swing a golf club in practice'
    "BTW-squared, when a New Zealand paper dug into who was the highest paid Kiwi athlete, many of the insiders thought it was Steve Williams"
    '"And the only reason Jack Nicklaus's long-time caddy Angelo Argea got any ink was that he looked like Oleg Cassini -- moustache, white hair, and all"'

Rick Reilly article

Yeah I know Reilly isn't the journalist of the year but I think this article is dead on. It really puts it in perspective when you say in the last 18 months he has lost his wife, golf swing, health, half his fortune and his good friend all because he's been a jackass.

As I asked in my original post, who would want to be his caddie now? Who's to say he won't treat you like dirt just like he has treated most people in his life thus far like dirt?
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    I read an article online the other day (sorry can't remember where) that Tiger may be having a "cash flow problem" with his big/expensive new house and divorce settlement plus his life style. Maybe this is related since he has to continue to pay Steve even though he's not playing.
    There is a zero percent chance he is having cash flow problems. Tiger could earn $50-grand in one night any time he wants to do speaking gigs and glad-hand with CEO-types. Even with his tainted image, he could earn a few mil any time he wants by inking a new endorsement deal (he wisely limits his endorsements though, which allows him to make more from the limited ones he does do). He is the most famous athlete of our time, and it ain't even close.

Big house, big settlement... no big deal. According to this article, he has made $60 million this year so far from endorsements. He is doing just fine.

-Jason "paying Stevie $1 million a year would be nothing for Tiger" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Yeah I know Reilly isn't the journalist of the year but I think this article is dead on. It really puts it in perspective when you say in the last 18 months he has lost his wife, golf swing, health, half his fortune and his good friend all because he's been a jackass.

As I asked in my original post, who would want to be his caddie now? Who's to say he won't treat you like dirt just like he has treated most people in his life thus far like dirt?
    I'm not so sure you're right on either boldfaced point. First, Tiger fired Steve -- he didn't quit -- presumably because he thought he would do better with someone else. Also, golfers change caddies like other people buy suits of clothes. So I don't see how Tiger's decision to change caddies is related to his personal deficiencies. I also thought the only reason he got Steve Williams and ditched the feeble-looking Fluff was because Steve was bigger than Tiger and looked very strong, able to respond to on-course threats and enable Tiger to play without bodyguards present. It will be interesting to check out the physical attributes of Williams's successor.

WRT the second question, golf is a business for caddies too, and since Tiger pays salaries and not just a share of winnings, a three-year (or two-year contract) with severance features at w-a-a-a-y over one million per year will be attractive to anyone in the caddy business.

sagegrouse
    'I'll do it for a two-week contract'

I think Fluff was fired by Tiger for spilling secrets.

The rumor here in WV is that Tiger makes his comeback at Greenbrier.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I'm not so sure you're right on either boldfaced point. First, Tiger fired Steve -- he didn't quit -- presumably because he thought he would do better with someone else. Also, golfers change caddies like other people buy suits of clothes. So I don't see how Tiger's decision to change caddies is related to his personal deficiencies. I also thought the only reason he got Steve Williams and ditched the feeble-looking Fluff was because Steve was bigger than Tiger and looked very strong, able to respond to on-course threats and enable Tiger to play without bodyguards present. It will be interesting to check out the physical attributes of Williams's successor.

WRT the second question, golf is a business for caddies too, and since Tiger pays salaries and not just a share of winnings, a three-year (or two-year contract) with severance features at w-a-a-a-y over one million per year will be attractive to anyone in the caddy business.

sagegrouse
    'I'll do it for a two-week contract'
    Nice point on the bodyguard aspect, sagegrouse. We shall see how physical Stevie's replacement is. Personally, I think Tiger is done. Not great for the game, but I would be surprised if he wins another Major.

There is a zero percent chance he is having cash flow problems. Tiger could earn $50-grand in one night any time he wants to do speaking gigs and glad-hand with CEO-types. Even with his tainted image, he could earn a few mil any time he wants by inking a new endorsement deal (he wisely limits his endorsements though, which allows him to make more from the limited ones he does do). He is the most famous athlete of our time, and it ain't even close.

Big house, big settlement... no big deal. According to this article, he has made $60 million this year so far from endorsements. He is doing just fine.

-Jason "paying Stevie $1 million a year would be nothing for Tiger" Evans
    Try this article to compare your thoughts - particularly look at his expenses: http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...-money-fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    Try this article to compare your thoughts - particularly look at his expenses: http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...-money-fortune
    That is interesting and makes some good points. Though it makes the ridiculous statement at the end that Tiger needs to make money playing golf again to shore up his financial situation. In his best year, Tiger earns $10 million playing golf, a pittance compared to his huge endorsement dollars.

The article also ignores the fact that Woods has hundreds of millions of dollars that he made over the past decade -- before his infidelities became common knowledge. Are we supposed to think that he never invested any of that money and that he is not making anything off it today? I would be stunned if he was not invested in such a way as to generate $30 or $40 million of income a year.

Look, I suppose it is possible that Tiger is suffering a bit of a cash flow situation, but I just don't think that whatever he pays Stevie is going to make much of a difference in that. I could be wrong, I suppose, but I don't think tiger dumped Stevie for financial reasons.

-Jason "of course, his investments could have all gone South too -- not impossible to believe" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Wise move. Everything that's happened to Tiger in the last two years has clearly been his caddie's fault.
    Exactly (given your understandable sarcasm).

Tiger is the one of the worst human beings in sport. Why wouldn't he abuse Williams this way. Predictable.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I think Fluff was fired by Tiger for spilling secrets.

The rumor here in WV is that Tiger makes his comeback at Greenbrier.
    Apparently not: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/sp...reenbrier.html

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Exactly (given your understandable sarcasm).

Tiger is the one of the worst human beings in sport. Why wouldn't he abuse Williams this way. Predictable.
    Abuse seems a little strong, doesn't it?