Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2013 recruit Matt Jones has been offered

Matt Jones says on his twitter feed...

Coach k from duke just offered me a scholarship ! #excited
    Sounds like the kid likes us

Here is his ESPN page. He's a top 25ish recruit, a 6-4 shooting guard with a very sweet stroke from long-range. His team is playing at an AAU tourney where Coach K is this week. He must have been impressive for K to make him am offer.

--Jason "Jones is from Texas, like Sulaimon" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

They say the guy is reminiscent of a young Ray Allen. That's, I mean, high praise...

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    They say the guy is reminiscent of a young Ray Allen. That's, I mean, high praise...
    The team would need someone to replace Dawkins' sweet stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    The team would need someone to replace Dawkins' sweet stroke.
    Weren't Rivers and especially Sulaimon (and potentially R. Purvis) supposed to do that?
    Last edited by -bdbd; 07-15-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Yup, and I like that his only listed weakness is on the defensive end of the floor. Something K and the staff can straighten out in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Weren't Rivers and especially Sulaimon (and potentially R. Purvis) supposed to do that?
    Yep...but how long do you expect each of those guys to be on campus? We'll need depth and we'll do it by mixing 4 years guys in with NBA lottery caliber guys.

I haven't seen Jones play, but if there is a comparison to Ray Allen to be made, then I would say Rivers and Sulaimon aren't in the same class as far as prettiness of jump shots is concerned. As far as replacing the player, perhaps, but not the sweet looking jump shot.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I haven't seen Jones play, but if there is a comparison to Ray Allen to be made, then I would say Rivers and Sulaimon aren't in the same class as far as prettiness of jump shots is concerned. As far as replacing the player, perhaps, but not the sweet looking jump shot.
    Personally, I find Andre to have the prettiest looking jump shot of anybody on the team. His stroke is a thing of beauty...But, yes, he too will be gone by the time Jones would come to campus.

Sulaimon isn't known as having a great outside shot, but it is definitely improving (he's been working hard.)

K really likes Jones. And it doesn't hurt that Jones is good friends and teammates with Julius Randle.

I've watched a couple of youtube videos and while it is hard to determine how good someone is from these type of highlight reels you can tell that he has a nice and very quick stroke. I'm not sure his form is as pure as Allen's (or Dawkins for that matter) put is is very quick. Maybe not Dell Curry quick but as close as I've seen from a high schooler.

Sweet Strokes

Interestingly, I just checked a Texas map and his hometown of DeSoto, TX is next to the hometown of another similar sized former Blue Devil (a personal favorite) with a nice jumper, Thomas Hill. I would be more than happy if Jones turned into the next THill, or even close. Also makes me feel really old to realize that this kid was born several years after Thomas graduated.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Matt Jones says on his twitter feed...

Sounds like the kid likes us

Here is his ESPN page. He's a top 25ish recruit, a 6-4 shooting guard with a very sweet stroke from long-range. His team is playing at an AAU tourney where Coach K is this week. He must have been impressive for K to make him am offer.

--Jason "Jones is from Texas, like Sulaimon" Evans
    Thanks Jason I had that scoop but was on the road home from the Peach Jam. I spoke with him three times and he glowed when talking about Duke. Coach K loved his game, thus an offer. He's a great shooter and can slash the lane and has a good handle. I have a video interview coming with him a bit later. A package deal of him and Randle would be the shizz. Rasheed was working him hard, see oic at BDN.

Duke is no longer recruiting Purvis.

He's a top 25ish recruit, a 6-4 shooting guard with a very sweet stroke from long-range. His team is playing at an AAU tourney where Coach K is this week. He must have been impressive for K to make him am offer [before his junior year of HS].
    How have we made it through a dozen speculative posts / player comparisons without mentioning the name Redick? It boggles the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Duke is no longer recruiting Purvis.
    Are you allowed to say why, Mark? Even if it's not specifics, generalizations will do. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    Are you allowed to say why, Mark? Even if it's not specifics, generalizations will do. Just curious.
    Is it because of Purvis or because we currently have one scholly at the moment and with Puvis deciding in August that does not fill our biggest need. We need a McGary, Ellis or a Parker to commit first.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    Is it because of Purvis or because we currently have one scholly at the moment and with Puvis deciding in August that does not fill our biggest need. We need a McGary, Ellis or a Parker to commit first.
    Maybe they are still in with him, but they did not watch him during the Peach Jam. I think it is a crunch situation and the offer to Jones speaks too. Here is a video intro of Matt Jones where you can get a bit of a feel for him. He played very well in all but one of his games this past week in Augusta. One of his better games was in front of Coach K. Texas, Kansas and Baylor have been on him early. He can drive well and shoot he ball. See quote from him in this link. He is also a solid on ball defender and anticipates the passing lanes well. More impresively, he is a really good rebounder from his WG spot averaging just under 6 per game for the event. I caught three and a half of his games this past weekend and spoke to him at length. He is a high character kid and handled himself in a humble manner off court.http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/07/d...rs-matt-jones/
    Last edited by watzone; 07-16-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Maybe they are still in with him, but they did not watch him during the Peach Jam. I think it is a crunch situation and the offer to Jones speaks too. Here is a video intro of Matt Jones where you can get a bit of a feel for him. He played very well in all but one of his games this past week in Augusta. One of his better games was in front of Coach K. Texas, Kansas and Baylor have been on him early. He can drive well and shoot he ball. See quote from him in this link. He is also a solid on ball defender and anticipates the passing lanes well. More impresively, he is a really good rebounder from his WG spot averaging just under 6 per game for the event. I caught three and a half of his games this past weekend and spoke to him at length. He is a high character kid and handled himself in a humble manner off court.http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/07/d...rs-matt-jones/
    Mark, did the staff catch a CP3 game at the Peach Jam? I heard some mentions of the coaches checking out Pinson, they must've checked out Purvis as well.

The Purvis thing just seems too odd. Maybe he given us a silent commit? Or maybe coach K knows something about the NBA CBA that the rest of us don't. If Rivers stays 2 years and we loose nobody in the backcourt and are already adding Sulimon, do we really have room for Purvis?
    If we have stopped recruiting him, I would say it's almost certain he commits to State very soon.

State could be the place

for Purvis, he would be the man and if past actions are any indication he likes to control the ball. His jump shot is not top quality but he is an amazing athlete and penetrator. It looks to me as if he would play the 2g at State with Lewis coming in and Brown their current pg looking good in the summer league. Just because we are not hard after him doesn't mean there are bad things about Purvis, he's a quality kid but how many guards can a team have? It looks like K has found his 2g of the future in Jones and hopefully we'll get him.