Bad News for Miami Hoops

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Sorry to hear that; I'm curious to see what Jim Larranaga can accomplish there with a pretty decent array of talent. Hope Reggie gets back for conference play; he'll have to be careful about his conditioning and weight level with restricted activity.

Crummy news; truly sorry to hear it. I had Miami challenging FSU for #3 in the ACC next season. I suppose if Reggie gets back in Jan, they could still be ok in conf, though presumably it will take him a few weeks to get back into the flow. I guess this means some other guys will get good minutes in early season, so when he returns they'll have better depth.

5-6 months for a meniscus tear? My goodness that is crazy! I had friends who were back in 3-4 weeks with that. Must be pretty serious (I did not read the whole article, so I don't know the extent).

They get some people back faster from ACL injuries...I'm wondering if there isn't more to the story.

Found this link and it says recovery time can last up to 2-3 months. Hmmm...
    http://www.toc-stl.com/info/meniscus.htm

Johnson has had significant weight issues in the not-to-distant-past. My fear would be that months of inactivity could result in the return of too-big-Reggie. They'll have to monitor that pretty closely, I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    5-6 months for a meniscus tear? My goodness that is crazy! I had friends who were back in 3-4 weeks with that. Must be pretty serious (I did not read the whole article, so I don't know the extent).

They get some people back faster from ACL injuries...I'm wondering if there isn't more to the story.

Found this link and it says recovery time can last up to 2-3 months. Hmmm...
    http://www.toc-stl.com/info/meniscus.htm
    When I tore mine several years ago playing soccer the damaged section was just snipped out. Around 40% if I recall correctly. I never really experienced any pain and was walking around comfortably within a week. My understanding is that if you have your meniscus repaired, rather than removed, the rehab time is significantly longer, which appears to be Reggie's case.

In any case, I'm sure there are others on here more in-the-know than I...
    Last edited by JohnGalt; 07-02-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    When I tore mine several years ago playing soccer the damaged section was just snipped out. Around 40% if I recall correctly. I never really experienced any pain and was walking around comfortably within a week. My understanding is that if you have your meniscus repaired, rather than removed, the rehab time is significantly longer, which appears to be Reggie's case.

In any case, I'm sure there are others on here more in-the-know than I...
    I've had a meniscus repair in my left knee and a partial removal in my right. I too was walking 4-5 days after the removal, but the knee that was repaired was a different story. The repair is a much better idea for a younger person if the torn cartilage is in good enough condition to be put back in place. However, I was on crutches for a full 6 weeks before I could put any weight on my leg. It was much longer before I no longer worried about it when I walked long distances or went hiking on uneven surfaces that required me to make small jumps. While I am not and never was an elite athlete, I really took to my physical therapy and worked very hard to get back into shape. I would imagine that Reggie's time-frame will be similar to mine, which i think was 4 months before the "all-clear" from the doctor. However, I didn't even play pick up basketball on my leg until after Christmas (I also had my surgery in the summer around this time). It may take even longer to get back into strong enough shape to play division 1 basketball.

Sorry to hear the news, best luck with a quick recovery. I hate to see any kid get hurt, and I hope Reggie can get back in form by conference time.