Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Measurements From Amar'e Camp (Plumlees, Parker, McGary, etc.)

I love this kind of stuff, so thought I'd pass it along for anyone else interested.

Official HS sheet: http://inside.nikebasketball.com/new...HighSchool.pdf

Full list form UK site, including college players: http://www.allkyhoops.com/2011/06/an...cruits-at.html

Notables: (Height (w. shoes), weight (w/o shoes), wingspan):

Mason Plumlee 6’10 234 6’11
    Miles Plumlee 6’11.5 247 7’0

^This is actually shocking to me. Mason is only 6'10 in shoes with a sub 7' wingspan??? He seems so long. And Miles is within 1/2" of being a 7-footer??? ~7' 250 is legit NBA center size, even without a 44" vertical. How is he not the freaking NPOY?

Prospects with Duke interest:

Tony Parker 6’9.5 284.6 7’0 - confirms he has legit C size - within 1/2" of 6'10, 7' wingpsan is plenty. 285 is enormous though... hopefully it's mostly good weight.

Mitch McGary 6’11/258 6’12 (<-) - it's amazing how well he moves for 6'11 260. Would love him to be our next Miles Plumlee-type, except less freak jumper and more natural physical post-man.

Anthony Bennett 6’7/242 7’1 - 6'7 in shoes is pretty a pretty tiny PF. Wingspan and mack-truck build helps though.

Jarnell Stokes 6’9/256 7’1 - Appears he's not actually undersized at all. Those are legit NBA PF measurables.

Landen Lucas 6’9.5/241 7’0 - About as expected.

Julius Randle 6’9/243 6’10 - Beast.

Nerlens Noel 6’11.5/201 7’3 - Considering how quick of a jumper he is, this guy is going to be an dominating force on the defensive end... even more so than Henson/Davis, IMO. Long shot, but I would absolutely love to have him along with a power scorer.

Other interesting prospects:

Robert Carter 6’8/260 7’2.5 - purportedly OSU's top target, at least up there with Tony; sounds like almost a Dejaun Blair type - 1-1.5" taller, with ~2' shorter arms.
    James McAdoo 6’9 226 7’1... oof. Gonna be a good'un.
    Jared Sullinger 6’10 281 7’1 - better size than I expected.

More from the Amar'e camp: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=6708456

Top three scorers:

Julius Randle (Dallas/ Prestonwood Christian)

2013, PF, 6-9, 243 pounds

The athletic lefty plays in full attack mode in the post, from midrange and along the baseline. Randle has a great first step for a player his size and can initiate and score through contact with touch, body control or with a powerful above-the-rim finish. He plays with confidence, energy, urgency and he exposes defenders not ready to compete immediately.

Tony Parker (Lithonia, Ga./ Miller Grove)

2012, PF, 6-9, 284 pounds

Parker is a wide-bodied, powerful post player with great hands and touch who finishes drop-off passes above the rim. Parker can also knock down jumpers with range to the arc and score through contact in the low post with drop steps and spins along the baseline. He is hungry to score and can do it in a variety of ways.

Anthony Bennett (Brampton, Canada/ Findlay Prep)

2012, PF, 6-8, 230 pounds

He is a hungry scorer who is hard to guard, has good footwork and a fluid offensive game. In the paint, he has power and explosiveness to dunk over defenders. In transition, he fills the lane, finds the basket and finishes the play. He also can knock down 3s and works the offensive glass, always looking to score.

Questioning the numbers

Just looking at the two Plumlee's, I would have thought Mason is taller and longer than Miles. Hope they didn't make the wrong attribution. Easy to do with two M. Plumlees. As long as they had the shoes off to weigh these guys, why didn't they just get height measurements. They give stocking feet measurements when measuring in the NBA pre-draft camp for instance.

I also wonder about guys carrying 285 at about 6'9" iin stocking feet. Sounds heavy, but Sulliger is that much and was effecting. McGary at 256 seems a little closer to the playing weight I would expect for a power forward or even a center. Still Parker would be worked into shape at Duke and that might be best for his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Just looking at the two Plumlee's, I would have thought Mason is taller and longer than Miles. Hope they didn't make the wrong attribution. Easy to do with two M. Plumlees. As long as they had the shoes off to weigh these guys, why didn't they just get height measurements. They give stocking feet measurements when measuring in the NBA pre-draft camp for instance.

I also wonder about guys carrying 285 at about 6'9" iin stocking feet. Sounds heavy, but Sulliger is that much and was effecting. McGary at 256 seems a little closer to the playing weight I would expect for a power forward or even a center. Still Parker would be worked into shape at Duke and that might be best for his game.
    Yup... wasn't Boozer listed as 6'9 280 one of his first couple years here?

I wondered that too about the Plums, except the respective weights seem right as they are. Not sure what's going on there.

I can't help but notice that McGary has a wingspan of 6'12" Hopefully, he can get that up to 7'0".

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I can't help but notice that McGary has a wingspan of 6'12" Hopefully, he can get that up to 7'0".
    But I thought the long-standing "tradition" was that guys did not want to be listed as a "true" 7 footer.

Measurements From Deron's Camp (Sulaimon, Purvis, etc.)

http://inside.nikebasketball.com/new...HighSchool.pdf

Also... Rasheed Sulaimon could quietly be turning into a big-time recruit for us. I mean, he's 6'4.5 (in shoes), 185, 6'7 wingspan, can play either guard position, is a great 3-point shooter, is a "terrific athlete" that "finishes that flair", is an elite defender with a high motor with "active hands and good lateral foot speed" who "anticipates passing lanes" well. If that was all we knew about an uncommitted recruit, we'd be absolutely drooling over him and talking about whether we should prioritize him over Purvis/Bazz!

Anyway, Sheed was named a top 3 defender at the camp. Quotes are from this write-up:

Sulaimon plays with great energy and urgency. His motor never stops running, and he competes on the defensive end, especially when guarding the ball handler, as he applies constant ball pressure. His active hands and good lateral foot speed allow him to stay eye-to-eye with the ball handler. He also looks to help in the post, while doing a good job of not losing vision. Sulaimon is a terrific athlete who anticipates passing lanes well, where he shoots the gap and finishes with flare on the other end. He should fit in nicely with the Blue Devils' pressure man defense.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    My son's birth certificate reads "8 lbs, 16 oz". Someone was asleep at the keyboard when 8 lbs, 15 and 1/2 came through.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    My son's birth certificate reads "8 lbs, 16 oz". Someone was asleep at the keyboard when 8 lbs, 15 and 1/2 came through.

-jk
    I'm not sure your wife would have been thrilled knowing she gave birth to a 9 pound son. Eight pounds, 16 ounces sounds like it would be a much easier time in childbirth.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm not sure your wife would have been thrilled knowing she gave birth to a 9 pound son. Eight pounds, 16 ounces sounds like it would be a much easier time in childbirth.
    He was the runt. His older sister was 9 lbs, 1/2 oz.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Maybe... like those old typewriters... that actually had a 1/2 & 1/4 key (I think)... now they don't have such keys and don't know how to do a "one-half"... so 15-1/2 sounds more like 16. I find this rather humorous...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Maybe... like those old typewriters... that actually had a 1/2 & 1/4 key (I think)... now they don't have such keys and don't know how to do a "one-half"... so 15-1/2 sounds more like 16. I find this rather humorous...
    My keyboard has a ½, a ¾, and a ¼. I hit them by accident, sometimes, and spell check loses its mind.

Measurements From KD's Camp

I keep running across new camp measurements, so I figure I'll keep updating this thread. Things that jump out at me from this set (all heights in shoes, BTW):

-Austin Rivers is a legit 6'5 203? I like it, especially the 203 part; he must be hitting the weight room, which I've been saying he badly needs to do if he wants to finish around the rim in college. Along with a 6'7 wingspan, he should also definitely be able to defend at SF if necessary.

-Poythress has pretty much the perfect frame for a college 4 at his age (6'8/213/7'0, and so does Pollard, given his absurd hops (6'8/192/6'10. These are two players Duke is looking at at PF, but hopefully they don't awkwardly try to become wings.

-Those are great measurements for 2013 Duke target Jabari Parker. He's regarded as a wing, but he's got solid PF size.

-Semi-targets Kyle Anderson and Amile Jefferson just got a lot more intriguing to me. Anderson (6'9/7'2) is apparently NBA PF size. Same with Amile Jefferson, to a lesser extent (6'9/7'0, but he's paper-thin).

-HB is taller (6'9) and less long (6'11) than I expected.

-Terrence Jones must be jacked now; 6'9 250?

Kevin Durant Camp Measurements:

Players of interest:

Austin Rivers / 6-5 / 203 / 6-7
    Alexander Poythress / 6-8 / 213 / 7-0
    Devonte Pollard / 6-8 / 192 / 6-10
    Jabari Parker / 6-8.5 / 222 / 6-11 (roster says 6'9, but note says 6-8.5)
    Amile Jefferson / 6-9 / 197 / 7-0
    Kyle Anderson / 6-9 / 226 / 7-2
    Justin Anderson / 6-6 / 222 / 6-11
    JP Tokoto / 6-7 / 185 / 6-9I'm a real wanker for saying this.
    Harrison Barnes / 6-9 / 223 / 6-11
    Terrence Jones / 6-9 / 249 / 7-2
    Doron Lamb / 6-5 / 204 / 6-7I'm a real wanker for saying this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I love this kind of stuff, so thought I'd pass it along for anyone else interested.

Notables: (Height (w. shoes), weight (w/o shoes), wingspan):

Mason Plumlee 6’10 234 6’11
    Miles Plumlee 6’11.5 247 7’0

^This is actually shocking to me. Mason is only 6'10 in shoes with a sub 7' wingspan??? He seems so long. And Miles is within 1/2" of being a 7-footer??? ~7' 250 is legit NBA center size, even without a 44" vertical. How is he not the freaking NPOY?
    I've always thought that if Miles would have been born in Europe, he would have been a lottery pick with a ton of "upside".

Frankly

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    I've always thought that if Miles would have been born in Europe, he would have been a lottery pick with a ton of "upside".
    I'm very surprised that these top level camps associated with NBA stars don't use more sophisticated metrics, such as cinder blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    Yeah, if he's really 6'11.5", he'd have been a lottery pick with his athleticism had he entered the draft as a 19 year old.

It's a shame his basketball IQ hasn't caught up with his athleticism. Hopefully he can have a breakthrough senior year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, if he's really 6'11.5", he'd have been a lottery pick with his athleticism had he entered the draft as a 19 year old.

It's a shame his basketball IQ hasn't caught up with his athleticism. Hopefully he can have a breakthrough senior year.
    Doesn't it seem like they must have switched the heights/lengths for Mason and Miles though? If Mason is 6'9 barefoot with a 6'11 wingspan, that would give him an 8'10 reach... if he's lucky (for comparison, Boozer and Brand's were 9'0.5" and 9'2). That sounds about right for Miles, I don't think I buy that for Mason.

This has potential to become the mystery topic of the offseason!

They should combine height and wingspan into one statistic--standing reach. Then you know how tall a player is for basketball purposes. Then look at jump reach to get an idea of how high he is capable of playing. For some reason, you seldom see what a player's standing reach is.

If you actually watch any of Dukes games, its quite clear that Miles is taller than Mason, at least to me...I don't think thats ever been in question, until now.

Not Ever Been in Question?

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    If you actually watch any of Dukes games, its quite clear that Miles is taller than Mason, at least to me...I don't think thats ever been in question, until now.
    "If you actually watch any of Duke's games"... WTF is that supposed to mean? Here's the roster data from the official source:

Code:
    5   Mason Plumlee F 6-10 240 So.  Warsaw, Ind. (Christ School [N.C.])
    21  Miles Plumlee F 6-10 245 Jr.  Warsaw, Ind. (Christ School [N.C.])
    Looks like there is a plausible case that the two are the same height.

sagegrouse
    'Of course, I come from the era of the incredible shrinking big men. Jay Buckley enrolled at 6'11". Hack Tison was 7'0" as a freshman. By the time both were on varsity in 1962-63 they were listed as 6'10". That was either Bubas's mind game or a reflection of the time when excess height was seen as an affliction. Or maybe they shrank.'