Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I, for one, have no concerns about team chemistry; generally Coach K is pretty good at creating the right atmosphere, we have a few good strong personalities on the team, and I think that especially with the trip to China and Dubai coming early the guys will have a fantastic opportunity to bond. I also have no concerns about Austin, the son of a coach, who has been around the game at the VERY highest level for so many years and who clearly understands so many aspects of the game at a level of maturity far beyond his years.

I'm also totally unphased by Austin having a single twitter about a possible video game nickname that people in desperate need of perspective (hi, he is a high school kid on twitter?) and possible a life got so upset about, and also by SI's semi-shot at him, which was pretty harmless and largely due to them needing another zero to go along with the only other guy who wears zero out there, GArenas.

The "son of a coach" argument on chemistry actually doesn't resonate well with us Carolina fans after the Larry Drew years,

And I don't expect any chemistry issues/problems at Duke this season, just thought it might be something interesting to watch.

I haven't seen much of Rivers at all, just a couple of those all star games. What I saw from that small sample was an aggressive, attacking player with quickness and fearlessness. He's obviously a very talented player.

I also saw him get his lunch packed taking it in when he didn't have an opening being so aggressive, but it was an all star game so he gets a pass for effort, and those games really show us nothing.

He will likely struggle to finish against the next level of defenders early, almost all do. He ain't in HS anymore...

We will see how he reacts and finishes against defenders as quick and stronger, (Strickland?)...Long 6'8 help defenders, (Barnes?), springy 6'11 shot blockers, (Henson?). and a seven foot anchor in the post (Zeller?)

Just feelin' a little froggy today

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    next level of defenders early, almost all do. He ain't in HS anymore...

We will see how he reacts and finishes against defenders as quick and stronger, (Strickland?)...Long 6'8 help defenders, (Barnes?), springy 6'11 shot blockers, (Henson?). and a seven foot anchor in the post (Zeller?)
    Based on the defensive efforts of those same UNC defenders against Nolan Smith and Seth Curry last season, my guess is that it won't present much of an issue for Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Based on the defensive efforts of those same UNC defenders against Nolan Smith and Seth Curry last season, my guess is that it won't present much of an issue for Rivers.
    While those two certainly had a couple of very good games against us, overall we held Duke well below its normal FG% and 3P% even if you include the blowout in the ACC tournament. As much as UNC's defense gets derided here, our problem last year was not defense. We were a very solid defensive team (virtually the same as Duke's based on Kenpom) and there is every reason to expect that it will improve next year. I think it is safe to say that one of the toughest defenses Rivers will face next year will be UNC's. And some of his antics that are being discussed in this thread are likely going to add to the pressure. Maybe he will be able to play through it, after all he is extremely talented, but given the expectations that come with his ranking and playing at Duke, if I were the coaching staff I would advise him to tone it down. You don't want to be someone opposing fan bases love to hate before you've even played a conference game.

The "son of a coach" argument on chemistry actually doesn't resonate well with us Carolina fans after the Larry Drew years,
    Danny Ferry
    Bobby Hurley
    Chris Collins
    Mike Dunleavy

It's worked pretty well for us. I think Carolina got a bad egg from an otherwise good source.

Edit to add: ChicagoHeel's post is spot-on, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    While those two certainly had a couple of very good games against us, overall we held Duke well below its normal FG% and 3P% even if you include the blowout in the ACC tournament. As much as UNC's defense gets derided here, our problem last year was not defense. We were a very solid defensive team (virtually the same as Duke's based on Kenpom) and there is every reason to expect that it will improve next year.
    I don't doubt that this will be true for UNC's overall defense. But their ability to guard opposing backcourts was inconsistent at best, and it will not surprise if Rivers is able to exploit that weakness next season.

And some of his antics that are being discussed in this thread are likely going to add to the pressure. Maybe he will be able to play through it, after all he is extremely talented, but given the expectations that come with his ranking and playing at Duke, if I were the coaching staff I would advise him to tone it down. You don't want to be someone opposing fan bases love to hate before you've even played a conference game.
    I doubt it matters - opposing fan bases were going to hate him no matter what. If Rivers wanted to be ignored he could have gone to Florida; if he wanted the media to protect him he could have gone to UNC. Instead he chose Duke.

Well...Rivers is not a Senior All-American or a transfer Soph that had spent a year with the program either...just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    .....I thiink Carolina got a bad egg from an otherwise good source.
    Agreed...both programs have historically done very well with coaches sons as players and teammates.

Well...Rivers is not a Senior All-American or a transfer Soph that had spent a year with the program either...just sayin'
    No, but he is the #2 ranked incoming freshman in the country. Recent players in that spot include Kyrie Irving, John Wall, Michael Beasley and Kevin Durant.

No, but he is the #2 ranked incoming freshman in the country. Recent players in that spot include Kyrie Irving, John Wall, Michael Beasley and Kevin Durant.
    ...and Harrison Barnes

...and Harrison Barnes
    It's entirely possible that Rivers could emulate Barnes and have a fairly disappointing freshman season. But the odds are still on his side.

It's entirely possible that Rivers could emulate Barnes and have a fairly disappointing freshman season. But the odds are still on his side.
    Well, in fairness to Harrison Barnes, he had a fine second half of the season. The disappointment of the first half might have been from a combination of factors--1) sometimes the college game really does take an adjustment, even for stars; 2) the expectations for Barnes were ridiculously high; 3) like the whole team, he looked a lot better after Kendall Marshall took over at point guard.

Talking HB

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Well, in fairness to Harrison Barnes, he had a fine second half of the season. The disappointment of the first half might have been from a combination of factors--1) sometimes the college game really does take an adjustment, even for stars; 2) the expectations for Barnes were ridiculously high; 3) like the whole team, he looked a lot better after Kendall Marshall took over at point guard.
    Forward can be a hard position to show one's stuff. You don't always -- or even very often -- get the ball on an offensive set, and you don't get the easy goals around the basket. HB did better with Kendall Marshall handling the ball, but he was also much less passive towards the end of the season.

sagegrouse

I don't think HB's season was disappointing at all. He's been a model student, actually seems pretty humble and confident(for a star player) to me. I haven't seen any trash talk from him equal to what I hear is coming from Rivers. HB's well spoken and has represented UNC in a manner that has gathered him quite a bit of respect.
    He also led the team to the elite 8 and was ACC rookie of the year.

As a player, he did have to take some time to adjust to the increase in the quality of play from HS, which is what I am expecting to see from Rivers as well.

He will probably play through the learning curve and become a star, and this conversation will be moot.

So I know "SubZero" can play, lots of smart basketball people say so and made him the#1 recruit for a reason. But I agree with others in the thread that think his play should do some talking first, or he runs the risk of becoming "DudZero" to many at the first sign of struggle.

I don't think HB's season was disappointing at all. He's been a model student, actually seems pretty humble and confident(for a star player) to me.
    Harrison Barnes is humble, studious and hard-working, and no player in America works harder to help his school's sports information office let every reporter in the country know it.

So I know "SubZero" can play, lots of smart basketball people say so and made him the#1 recruit for a reason. But I agree with others in the thread that think his play should do some talking first, or he runs the risk of becoming "DudZero" to many at the first sign of struggle.
    I don't doubt it - that's just part of being a Duke basketball player. If Rivers wanted the media to bend over backwards to justify and explain away a limp start to his career, he should have gone to UNC.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    I don't think HB's season was disappointing at all. He's been a model student, actually seems pretty humble and confident(for a star player) to me. I haven't seen any trash talk from him equal to what I hear is coming from Rivers. HB's well spoken and has represented UNC in a manner that has gathered him quite a bit of respect.
    He also led the team to the elite 8 and was ACC rookie of the year.

As a player, he did have to take some time to adjust to the increase in the quality of play from HS, which is what I am expecting to see from Rivers as well.

He will probably play through the learning curve and become a star, and this conversation will be moot.

Guess it must be off season for fishing in Boca Grande. What's your take on UNC football?

Harrison Barnes is humble, studious and hard-working, and no player in America works harder to help his school's sports information office let every reporter in the country know it.
    Oh, snap!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Guess it must be off season for fishing in Boca Grande. What's your take on UNC football?
    Tarpon season is winding down...thankfully its been super busy year.

Football sucks. I don't pay much attention to football anywhere.

But from an institutional standpoint, I say fire everyone that even smelled of wrongdoing, and do the real work of making sure the the football culture improves.

Back on topic...To me, HB seems to be a steady, calculating, mature, person and player trying to prepare himself for a career in the NBA. But i've never met him...

It seems Rivers is becoming defined as a cocky, trash talking kid before he's ever played a college game. That may not be true, he could just be confident and outgoing and people/media are looking for angles to write and discuss. The spotlight for stars is glaring and not always fair.

_I've never meet him either so what do I know? That's easy...nothing.

I know we are in for a long year when Wheat is posting this much in the off season. Over the course of the last 15 or so years that I've been posting and reading DBR, I've noticed one very consistent truth. When Wheat is quiet and not posting, it's because he believes/knows UNC is going to have a down year. Nothing wrong with that and I'm not gigging him on account of that. B-U-T... When Wheat posts a lot, especially in the off-season, it's because he's very confident UNC is going to have a huge year - and the kicker is he's usually right.

Admittedly, one doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to know UNC is beyond loaded this year and should be the prohibitive favorites to win it all. Seriously. That's not an anti-woof or anything. I'm just stating the obvious. But I know it's gonna be a long summer and fall when our UNC friends come on as strong as Wheat has recently. Get ready fellow Duke fans. We're going to be hearing a lot of crowing this upcoming year. Let's just hope they have to eat some crow before it's all said and done too.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    . ... Over the course of the last 15 or so years that I've been posting and reading DBR, I've noticed one very consistent truth. When Wheat is quiet and not posting, it's because he believes/knows UNC is going to have a down year. Gary
    Not true, and that accusation has been disproved before. Since the mid 90's, I've been around in good times and bad for UNC, and absent in good times and bad for UNC.

I've only made a few posts the past few days. None the past couple of months, that I recall.

I post when I have time, and I am interested in something. But I understand it sounds good on a Duke board to rag on the UNC guy, so it's all good.

Trying to stay on topic, personalities are good for the college game, and Rivers seems to have one, along with considerable skills. I'll just sit back and see how it goes because that's what fans do.