Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I lose, as a serious baseball fan. Because MLB plays a 6 month regular season with 162 games, and I've tuned in to probably 40-50 over that span and then have to watch a team like the Cardinals win a horrible division by playing .500 ball (they wouldn't have won 75 games in any other division last year) and then get hot at the right (wrong) time when over the course of the season they haven't proven themselves to be worthy of the chance to get hot at the right time.
    But why does this result in you "losing"? Do you feel like the 40-50 games you watch were wasted because the Cardinals won the World Series instead of the Mets, Tigers, or Yankees? Or are you just disappointed with the quality of the World Series (which last year may have been more attributable to the way the Tigers played than the Cardinals)? Not that the fact that an allegedly "inferior" team makes the World Series automatically diminishes the quality - the Giants-Angels series (two wild card teams) is one of the best played and most dramatic series of the past 15 years. I understand that you feel ill used by the fact that the Cardinals won the WS last year, or that some wild card teams have made it and won it recently. What I don't understand is why? How does it harm you, as a baseball fan?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    Why? What if the wild card team has a better record than the other divison winners -- i.e. the cr@ppy divisions that produce winners that are barely above .500 (NL West last year, sometimes AL West).

You can't blame a superior team for being in a division with another superior team, when the second place team in that division would have crushed a bad division.

The wild card gets the best teams in the playoffs. I agree, though, that the first round should be 7 games.
    I agree with all of what you said above. Consensus seems to be, accurately I think, that making all rounds best of seven would solve the "problem."

-EarlJam

Desegnated Hitter

Now, next issue. In what other sport do you have different rules for different leagues? Far out. I don't know where I stand on the DH issue. Part of me likes the differing rules per league because it adds to the mystique of the game. Still though, seems like both leagues should be playing by the same rules.

Ya'll think baseball will ever come to a consensus on this one?

-EarlJam

I badly misspelled "designated." Sorry.

Very few teams have a "Strong" 5 man rotation. Some teams might have 3-4 good pitchers, but nearly every team's 5th starter isn't really that good.

Everyone's playing by the same rules though (well, except for that whole DH thing...), so just sign a couple great 1-2 starters. No one's forcing teams to spread it out to 5 mediocre guys.

But like I said, those end of the rotation guys go to the bullpen, so they're still being used. As are other starters coming in on 3 day rest, or even 2 day rest.

In the playoffs, you use every part of your team to win each game at all costs. Teams could actually do this during the regular season, but its been proven to not be effective -- this is why teams elect to have 5 man rotations, instead of 3, etc.
    But isn't that the point? The game is played differently in the playoffs than in the regular season. Your 4 and 5 starters AREN'T in the bullpen in the regular season. A team with a couple of great starters can squeak into the playoffs in the regular season and then dominate in the playoffs -- but having a crappy 3-5 is going to make it tough for them to even get there.

Don't get me wrong, I think the system is fine, but building a team for the regular season and the playoffs are 2 different monsters. Just ask the Athletics and all the other teams with the "best record" that get knocked out before the world series. The fact that you built a team where your 4th and 5th starters were superior to other teams 4th and 5th starters helps you in the regular season, but not so much in the playoffs - even if they are in the bullpen.

Nothing wrong with all of that. Basketball and hockey are a bit different games in the playoffs too. Just not so much as baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Now, next issue. In what other sport do you have different rules for different leagues? Far out. I don't know where I stand on the DH issue. Part of me likes the differing rules per league because it adds to the mystique of the game. Still though, seems like both leagues should be playing by the same rules.

Ya'll think baseball will ever come to a consensus on this one?
    If there ever is a consensus it will be to add the DH to the National League. There is just no way that the player's union allows the AL to get rid of the DH. There is a reason most AL teams have higher salaries than NL teams and it is because they are essentially paying for an extra starter. The player's union would never let that go away.

-Jason "6 of the 7 lowest payrolls in baseball belong to NL teams, 4 of the top 5 belong to AL teams" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If there ever is a consensus it will be to add the DH to the National League. There is just no way that the player's union allows the AL to get rid of the DH. There is a reason most AL teams have higher salaries than NL teams and it is because they are essentially paying for an extra starter. The player's union would never let that go away.

-Jason "6 of the 7 lowest payrolls in baseball belong to NL teams, 4 of the top 5 belong to AL teams" Evans
    Agreed -- eventually there will be a DH in the NL. As sports in general become more and more specialized, there is no reason to see pitchers bat when many of them haven't seriously practiced the skill since high school. The overall level of the game rises with the DH -- it brings in a (much much) better hitter in place of the pitcher, and forces the pitcher to pitch to 9 hitters a game, instead of 8 (pitcher is basically an automatic out and rally killer).

That said, I watch nearly all AL baseball, but I went to a few NL games last week, and with all the pinch-hitting while swapping out pitchers, it really forces teams to focus more on their bench. I like that.

But, I don't like that managers are sometimes forced to take out a pitcher that is doing well when they feel more pressure to use his spot in the order to get a better hitter in there.

Wild Card, DH and now...

Okay, so far we've made this much progress (congrats everyone!)...

1. All playoff games go to "best of seven"
    2. The DH is implemented into the National League

Now, may I enter another motion:

3. Bring back the GWRBI stat! (Game Winning RBI). It was a fun official stat. Why did they remove it?

-EarlJam - Hey, when you woke up this morning, did you know you'd be fixing all of baseball's woes?

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Okay, so far we've made this much progress (congrats everyone!)...

1. All playoff games go to "best of seven"
    2. The DH is implemented into the National League

Now, may I enter another motion:

3. Bring back the GWRBI stat! (Game Winning RBI). It was a fun official stat. Why did they remove it?

-EarlJam - Hey, when you woke up this morning, did you know you'd be fixing all of baseball's woes?
    I hate Game-winning RBI. How do you awward it? Does it go to the guy who made the score 1-0 in the first in a game won 13-12 in the 13th inning or does it go to the guy who drove in run number 6 in a game that was 6-2 at the time but ends up with a final score of 11-5? I dunno if that made sense but my problem with the stat is that it is too har dto figure out who made the GW hit.

I would like to see a special stat kept for guys batting averages/runs/HRs/RBIs in games where it is a 2-run or less game and there are fewer than 3 innings remaining. Call it "pressure" stats or something like that.

-Jason "as an aside, I hate the HR derby when most of the best sluggers sit out-- why was Bonds not there?!?!?!" Evans

I hate Game-winning RBI. How do you awward it? Does it go to the guy who made the score 1-0 in the first in a game won 13-12 in the 13th inning or does it go to the guy who drove in run number 6 in a game that was 6-2 at the time but ends up with a final score of 11-5? I dunno if that made sense but my problem with the stat is that it is too har dto figure out who made the GW hit.

I would like to see a special stat kept for guys batting averages/runs/HRs/RBIs in games where it is a 2-run or less game and there are fewer than 3 innings remaining. Call it "pressure" stats or something like that.

-Jason "as an aside, I hate the HR derby when most of the best sluggers sit out-- why was Bonds not there?!?!?!" Evans

AGREED on the home run derby point completely. How could Bonds not participate....in his home city no less!?

As for GWRBI, why not just award it to the hitter that put his team up for good? Oh, wait a minute. Thinking as I type. I see. The hit could put a team up 3-2, and they could maintain the lead, but end up winning 8-7. Hmmmmmm. You could say award it to the hitter that drove in the eighth run but that could have been done under zero pressure (when the score was 7-3), hence, taking away from the meaning of the stat.

Okay Jason, you win. I'm sold. No bringing back of the GWRBI. That's THREE baseball issues solved for me today!

-EarlJam

P.S. Next issue (mildly related to baseball) - how can I get my hands on some illegal drugs? Narcotics. I'm out. Kidding. EarlJam is now drug free (moderate alcohol use doesn't count) and loving it.

I suppose you mean something like the "Close and Late" stat.

Close And Late - results in the 7th inning or later with the batting team either ahead by one run, tied or with the potential tying run at least on deck.

Close and Late MLB Stats

If I were Bonds, I wouldn't do it either. MLB has been clear it doesn't really like him -- why should he try to please Bud Selig?

If I were Bonds, I wouldn't do it either. MLB has been clear it doesn't really like him -- why should he try to please Bud Selig?
    Who gives a @!&^@ about Bud Selig? I am talking about the fans. Barry is on the bring of breaking what may be the most hallowed record in all of sports. Despite this, his public image is very bad and about the only place he is loved is his home park. So, baseball has an All-star game in his home park and conducts a special contest that focusses upon the aspect of baseball at which he has proven to be best in recent years and he skips it?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!?

This was a no-brainer. Barry should have done it and won back more fans.

Professional athletes are largely spoiled brats. The fact that Michael Jordan largely refused to do the slam dunk contest after the first few years or his career or that Bonds refuses to do the homerun contest is a joke.

Oh, and as an aside, who else would love to see baseball do some other fun skills games. You could have an outfield throwing contest where guys throw three balls at a homeplate target that is increasingly further and further away. You could have a hit-the-target contest with decent sized targets in the outfield and points depanding on how big and how far away they are and then let the best contact hitters declare which one they are going for against a batting practice pitcher. There could be hit-the-target contests with pitchers too.

Why doesn't baseball do this? Why only do homeruns?

-Jason "I would rule as commissioner of any sport!!" Evans

Who gives a @!&^@ about Bud Selig? I am talking about the fans. Barry is on the bring of breaking what may be the most hallowed record in all of sports. Despite this, his public image is very bad and about the only place he is loved is his home park. So, baseball has an All-star game in his home park and conducts a special contest that focusses upon the aspect of baseball at which he has proven to be best in recent years and he skips it?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!?
    ah, true, true. that said, lots of guys in that contest (see bobby abreu and david ortiz) have said that the HRD really messes up your swing, and is actually a lot of work -- taking 50 home run cuts, when in a regular game they might take 4 or 5, if they're really swinging for the fences.

could you imagine if bonds tweaked his knee real bad just a few short of 755?

again, not saying i advocate players missing the ASG because of injury fears, but its a factor.