Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bill Russell was arguably the best center ever. You could even make the argument that he was the best basketball player ever on planet earth, if you really wanted to. He was certainly a winner.

I'm not much of a historian (maybe somebody could look this up) but if I recall correctly, he led his San Francisco college team to an undefeated season and the NCAA championship, then didn't go straight to the NBA because he went to the Olympics instead, where he led his team to the championship. After that he joined the Celtics mid-season and (perhaps) they won the NBA championship? Not sure if they won in his first year or not.

In any case, Russell's teams won basketball games and they won championships. Everywhere he went.

I like Shaq, and he was certainly an awesome player in his own right, but he's no Bill Russell. Anybody who says Shaq was better than Bill Russell is either too young to know any better or on some kind of illegal substance.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

The biggest fault you can have Shaq's career is that he didn't maintain his peak level of play over a longer stretch. But the four years or so when he was at his best in LA, Shaq very well may have been as good as anyone. He was one of the league's best defenders, to go along with being the greatest offensive player of all time (including Jordan). Unfortunately, the defensive intensity Phil Jackson got out of him could not be maintained in his other years.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFan View Post
    The biggest fault you can have Shaq's career is that he didn't maintain his peak level of play over a longer stretch. But the four years or so when he was at his best in LA, Shaq very well may have been as good as anyone. He was one of the league's best defenders, to go along with being the greatest offensive player of all time (including Jordan). Unfortunately, the defensive intensity Phil Jackson got out of him could not be maintained in his other years.
    4 years? try 10 years

from 1993 to 2003 he averaged something like 28 points and 11 boards a game
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    4 years? try 10 years

from 1993 to 2003 he averaged something like 28 points and 11 boards a game
    As I already mentioned, his defense was not the same during that 10 year timespan.

I was thinking about all of the primary ball handlers and lead guards Shaq has played with during his career:

Scott Skiles, Penny Hardaway, Nick Van Exel, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Steve Nash, LeBron James and Rajon Rondo.

Not a bad list. One of Shaq's credits is he made the game easier for all of them to have the space to move on the perimeter, due to all the attention on him, and a target to pass to on the inside to wrack up assists.

I heard someone, maybe Simmons, use Penny Hardaway and Brandon Roy in the same sentence regarding injury, so sad. Penny was so dominate in the early to mid 90's, at the time he was Grant Hill's equal. Now Grant is still playing in the NBA and Penny plays in rec leagues.

Now that Shaq is retired; I hope he doesn't consider doing Dancing with The Stars. He is too tall and too big. Rick Fox was actually very good in DWTS. (and handsome). And athletes actually do very well on Dancing with the Stars. Hines Ward just won!

I found my SHAQ shirt. His hand is 2.5 times than mine. The caption says beside his hand: "Shaq's hand (Actual size with the picture). Aren't you glad he's on your side." circa Orlando Magic days.

Should I EBAY the Shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    Now that Shaq is retired; I hope he doesn't consider doing Dancing with The Stars. He is too tall and too big. Rick Fox was actually very good in DWTS. (and handsome). And athletes actually do very well on Dancing with the Stars. Hines Ward just won!

I found my SHAQ shirt. His hand is 2.5 times than mine. The caption says beside his hand: "Shaq's hand (Actual size with the picture). Aren't you glad he's on your side." circa Orlando Magic days.

Should I EBAY the Shirt?
    No. You should give it to the hottest girl you know.

I came late to the Shaq Appreciation Party -- how can I root for a guy who as a collegian was so clearly dominated by Marty Clark? -- and even then I favored his personality over his game.

Maybe the reason people feel a little let down by Shaq relates to mathematical probability. The chances that a person gifted with that size and skill set are so rare that, when one comes along, he has a realistic opportunity to become the Greatest Center Ever. That he had as long a career as he did and can't top the historical list by any commonly used metric is, well, a bit disappointing. Because who knows how long we'll have to wait until the next opportunity emerges.

Is his rookie card worth more now?