Page 6 of 180 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Per the twitterz, Duke is now expressing interest in 6'6 2014 wing Justise Winslow. Highlights from last weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CNZuSssf2U
    Justise Winslow profile from USA Basketball

•Tweets under the handle @Chief_Justise.

lol...gotta love that.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    The USA U-17 team is rolling, winning big tonight over China.

USA 116 -- China 47
    A quick perusal of the box score shows Tyus Jones with an impressive stat line of 11 assists, one turnover, seven points and two steals. It would be great to see Jones handling the point and dishing dimes for Duke.
    Bob Green

USA routed Canada 113-59. Here is the box score:

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches.../17RTuASBoHBw/

Tyus Jones led the way with 22 points and six assists.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    USA routed Canada 113-59. Here is the box score:

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches.../17RTuASBoHBw/

Tyus Jones led the way with 22 points and six assists.
    And that's in 19 minutes!!

Interesting that Winslow played twice as many minutes as Jabari Parker. Maybe we're fixated on the wrong guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    And that's in 19 minutes!!

Interesting that Winslow played twice as many minutes as Jabari Parker. Maybe we're fixated on the wrong guy.

Parker is hurt.

Ouch!! That has to hurt. And we all know that toe injuries can be vexing.

***Edit...looks like Bob already had the boxscore

Another blowout for the USA team, and another great stat line for Winslow with 17 points including 7-9 FGs and also 13 rebounds

Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor also played well, and Jabari Parker was back in action for an effective 12 minutes.
    Last edited by roywhite; 07-06-2012 at 09:57 PM.

U-17 team on to finals

USA 95 -- Spain 66

The U-17 team had some difficulty in the first half vs Spain, but pulled away for a victory and a matchup vs Australia for the gold medal.

USA basketball game recap

Justise Winslow continues to impress with another 17 points, 13 rebound game.
    Not sure what the status is with Duke's recruitment of Winslow, but he is getting near the top of my 2014 wish list.

USA 95 -- Spain 66

The U-17 team had some difficulty in the first half vs Spain, but pulled away for a victory and a matchup vs Australia for the gold medal.

USA basketball game recap

Justise Winslow continues to impress with another 17 points, 13 rebound game.
    Not sure what the status is with Duke's recruitment of Winslow, but he is getting near the top of my 2014 wish list.
    Winslow's ability to rebound from the wing is quite tantalizing.

Gold Medal for USA U-17

USA 95 -- Australia 62

A dominant tournament for the USA team. Duke targets Tyus Jones, Jabari Parker (limited minutes due to injury recovery), Jahlil Okafor, and Justise Winslow all played well.

As noted in some of the above posts, Winslow is an intriguing prospect; at a powerfully built 6'6", he led the team in minutes played, rebounds, and steals. Seems like a very versatile player, kind of a "glue guy" who does a bit of everything, including defense.

According to what I've read, he also seems to be a good student. Don't believe he has visited Duke, but perhaps Coach Capel (with other staff involved with the Olympics) could encourage a summer visit or something in the fall.

Okafor, Jones, and Winslow could all be serious 2014 targets for the Blue Devils.

Edit to add: check out some of the photos on the FIBA profile page linked above (second of two links) for Winslow. Appears to have some serious hops.
    Last edited by roywhite; 07-08-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Jahlil Okafor named MVP of U-17 tournament

Justise Winslow was named to the all-tournament team.

Seems to me that Okafor will be a priority recruit as we need size looking ahead.
    The down side is that he may well be a one-and-done type talent.

Jahlil Okafor named MVP of U-17 tournament

Justise Winslow was named to the all-tournament team.

Seems to me that Okafor will be a priority recruit as we need size looking ahead.
    The down side is that he may well be a one-and-done type talent.
    That's going to be true of any of the truly elite prospects.

It's a little early to tell but apparently Tyus Jones and Okafor are looking to be a package deal.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...ddy-teaming-up

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    It's a little early to tell but apparently Tyus Jones and Okafor are looking to be a package deal.

I'm sure that Coach K would be just fine with that package. Best PG and best big man in the class? Yes, please.

As you said, it's still early. But Duke, MSU, OSU, and Arizona are the teams on both kids' lists. I'm sure that UNC and Kentucky will find their way onto the list eventually, too.

As for Jones, he put up incredible numbers at the Peach Jam on a team that doesn't have any other players whose names I recognize. I haven't run the numbers, but I have seen all of the box scores - he must have averaged around 25 ppg on over 60% shooting, along with impressive assist numbers. That's phenomenal for a PG against that quality of competition.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

As we know, and have discussed many times before on these boards, lots of guys talk about playing together, how great it would be, we're definitely going to do it, etc., but very, very few actually ever end up doing it. From everything I've seen lately, the duo most likely to actually choose a school together and go play as a package are Boo Williams teammates Cat Barber and Troy Williams. I know they're 2013 and this is a 2014 thread, but still. If they do go together, it's looking like it'll be to either Louisville or Alabama, which at least would have the benefit of Williams spurning UNC and Kentucky, to which he had previously narrowed his list.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    As we know, and have discussed many times before on these boards, lots of guys talk about playing together, how great it would be, we're definitely going to do it, etc., but very, very few actually ever end up doing it. From everything I've seen lately, the duo most likely to actually choose a school together and go play as a package are Boo Williams teammates Cat Barber and Troy Williams. I know they're 2013 and this is a 2014 thread, but still. If they do go together, it's looking like it'll be to either Louisville or Alabama, which at least would have the benefit of Williams spurning UNC and Kentucky, to which he had previously narrowed his list.
    Since I believe that Duke is very interested in both Jones and Okafor, I have no problem with the idea that they may want to play together. We can absolutely offer them that opportunity.

I agree with your basic point, but Kasey Hill and Chris Walker might disagree about the most likely duo.

(Thanks to Newton14 for telling me how to do Duvall's inserting links trick. That was so much fun, and easy as Newton14 promised.)

As we know, and have discussed many times before on these boards, lots of guys talk about playing together, how great it would be, we're definitely going to do it, etc., but very, very few actually ever end up doing it.
    I agree that, no matter what they say, in the end very few sets of friends are really package deals, or make playing with their friend their primary factor in choosing a school. That doesn't mean the idea of playing with a friend isn't a minor positive factor in some instances, and for top-of-the-class guys like these two, I'll take all the positive factors we can get, minor or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I agree that, no matter what they say, in the end very few sets of friends are really package deals, or make playing with their friend their primary factor in choosing a school. That doesn't mean the idea of playing with a friend isn't a minor positive factor in some instances, and for top-of-the-class guys like these two, I'll take all the positive factors we can get, minor or not.
    Oh, I agree. I think CDu might've just misunderstood my post, or I wasn't as clear as I should've been. When it comes down to it, I don't think many duos sit down and decide, together, here's where "we" are going to go, as a package deal. Sure, there are lots of situations where a particular school lands two guys who know each other, are friends, who even played together, in particular in AAU ball. I think that would be more likely to be the way in which it works out for Okafor and Jones, if they were to end up at the same place. Having a close friend or previous teammate already going to a particular school is a positive in one's assessment of what is a good landing spot for him. Which is far different than making a joint decision as to where to go to school together.