Page 55 of 180 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 3586
    Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Given that Duke has offered him, I'll bet Reid Travis knows the difference between "affect" and "effect" even if the author of this story, Eric Hampford, does not.
    His usage seems pretty standard to me. When used as a noun, "effect" refers to a result, or something brought about, while "affect" refers to a mental state.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I agree with this. I searched for the quote and couldn't find it, but I believe when K went to watch Dwight Howard play in Atlanta while Dwight was still in high school, he remarked that Dwight should be going straight to the NBA. Obviously, this was before the one-year rule and Dwight did indeed go straight to the pro's, but I think it shows that Coach K's number one priority has always been honest and fair assessment. He doesn't promise playing time to anyone although he's willing to speak honestly about a player's chances of being featured in the rotation. He doesn't blow smoke about a player's ability to be one and done if that player is not yet at that level. However, he's also willing to provide a roadmap so that those players can reach their highest level (Lance Thomas is a great example of this, in my opinion).

He's even willing to heap praise on someone if he truly believes they are deserving. He recognized Kyrie as a particularly special talent even before he arrived on campus.

Also, I'm not sure why anyone would think that Coach K shies away from featuring one and done's. Duke's entire was reconstructed to suit Kyrie even though Nolan and Kyle were coming back for their senior seasons after winning a championship. Austin was given huge amounts of freedom right from the get-go. There were some tough-love moments, but he was our highest usage player that season by far. I guess those are our only one and done's in the one and done era, thus far (Jabari may or may not add to that list), but in both cases, the star freshman were given huge roles right out of the gates.
    Yeah, I agree with you.

I feel that sometimes we parse too much wording and out of context comments. The offseason and all. Coach K seems to be the epitome of a straight shooter. Now and likely always. Whatever he says to a kid, I'm sure it's mostly honest and not intended as misdirection, smoke and mirrors, or any other strategery for the purposes of advancing his program or his agenda.

K says what he means and means what he says. That's why his players and recruits consistently, nearly unanimously mention their trust, love, and desire to foster a relationship with him.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    His usage seems pretty standard to me. When used as a noun, "effect" refers to a result, or something brought about, while "affect" refers to a mental state.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I feel that sometimes we parse too much wording ...
    Case in point.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Case in point.

- Chillin
    Why not use Henderson's post as the jumping off point? He's the one who first posted about usage, and he's the one who got it wrong, yet you choose to cite me as parsing words too much? What the hell is that all about?

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Also, I'm not sure why anyone would think that Coach K shies away from featuring one and done's. Duke's entire was reconstructed to suit Kyrie even though Nolan and Kyle were coming back for their senior seasons after winning a championship. Austin was given huge amounts of freedom right from the get-go. There were some tough-love moments, but he was our highest usage player that season by far. I guess those are our only one and done's in the one and done era, thus far (Jabari may or may not add to that list), but in both cases, the star freshman were given huge roles right out of the gates.
    What's more, K has clearly shown that even kids who are not likely one-and-done candidates are often featured as freshmen if their talent, desire, and work-ethic are deserving. Rasheed's play last year showed that.

2012-13: Rasheed Suliamon - 29.2 mpg
    2011-12: Austin Rivers - 33.2 mpg (led team)
    2010-11: Kyrie Irving - 27.5 mpg (skewed by injury and recovery time, easily over 30 mpg when healthy)

-Jason "I'll be shocked if Parker does not play similar kind of minutes this year" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    Why not use Henderson's post as the jumping off point? He's the one who first posted about usage, and he's the one who got it wrong, yet you choose to cite me as parsing words too much? What the hell is that all about?
    Woah. It was a friendly jest since you posted that literally as I was posting about parsing (check the timestamps). Not calling anyone singularly out. Just reminding that we collectively parse a lot.

- *Chill*in

Quote Originally Posted by conmanlhughes View Post
    ...but still, I want okonoboh. I could see him as a back up center for Jahlil or playing power forward when Looney is on the bench/playing the 3, which be an incredible frontcourt.
    Since Jahlil is likely one and done, are you saying you believe our entire frontcourt rotation (as well as our PG) would be freshmen in 2014-15? That sounds unlikely to me.

If we grab the best talent available, I trust the coaching staff to figure out how to play whom and where. It's a process, and a fluid one at that. But if we go with the best hosses we can get, it'll all work out. I've never believed in recruiting to specific position needs, other than point guard. Gotta have a guy to bring the ball up and run the offense on the court. And every team needs size.

It'd be great to say, "Here's our #1-#5," and if we had our pick of great HS players and got to determine how long they would stay and how the injuries would shake out, that'd be the way to go. But we don't have that luxury. So we recruit big and small, then let the coaching staff figure out how to put it together into a winning team. This year will be a good case in point, with tons of talent and MP3 as our only true center.

I really like Reid hes be a huge get..does the dirty work on the inside and is physical which we havent had in awhile plus he has some offensive skills to be a presence down low..

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Since Jahlil is likely one and done, are you saying you believe our entire frontcourt rotation (as well as our PG) would be freshmen in 2014-15? That sounds unlikely to me.
    I assume you mean Jabari, not Jahil. But yes, with Jefferson, Murphy, Ojeleye and Plumlee returning, Duke will have plenty of non-freshman options.

And no one expects Looney to start at the 3 as a freshman. Duke is recruiting him as a 4.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Just a reminder to all to please not post information here from pay sites. It is not allowed and the post and replies will be deleted. I have deleted the post and the replies from this thread that contained information from a pay site.

Thanks for understanding.

We are crazy, he is Looney. Its a match.

Just hanging out checking the board for news on his visit. Any comments?
    DDoc74

I thought YOU were confirming something....

Twitter had a couple of positive comments... but no real news. Certainly no commitment type statements. Just that hes on campus, enjoying the visit and its seemingly going well.

I can confirm, from unnamed reliable sources, this information:

All of our 2014 recruits are uncommitted but may commit to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    I can confirm, from unnamed reliable sources, this information:

All of our 2014 recruits are uncommitted but may commit to Duke.
    Grayson Allen ???

No indicaton of a commitment from Kevon Looney, who (along with his parents) visited Duke this past weekend. Looks like he will take other visits and follow the process before making a decision.

Believe the coaches are doing in-home visits this week.

Looney visit

Here's a couple of articles I found on Looney from the past few days -

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=1584

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/201...-this-weekend/

His visit schedule -
    Florida - August 31
    Duke - September 7
    Tennessee - September 21
    Michigan State and UCLA - October

He also had an unofficial to Wisconsin somewhere in there already.

The Looney video was fun, though I was a little worried about potential injury risks when he gets so high that he blocks shots with his elbow (ha)

I believe the Duke coaches had an in-home visit with Reid Travis this week. Is that right? Anyone got details? I could not really find much of anything on the internets.

Found a tweet saying in-home was Monday (for both Tyus and Travis, which makes sense): https://twitter.com/CLykinsBlog/stat...78680591532032

As for details, probably won't find any non-pay info unless local beat reporter gets quotes.