Page 19 of 180 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    This is right on. I think people forget that in the two disappointing losses to WVU and to Nova in '08 and '09, respectively, we (somewhat ironically) got out small-balled in BOTH of those games. We didn't get killed by big bruisers destroying us in the interior. WVU played the 6'8'' Joe Alexander at C for most of the game. Villanova played the 6'8'' Dante Cunningham at C. In fact, Duke beat a huge Texas team to make it to the game against Villanova. I think the fact that Duke shot 26.7% against Villanova is a bigger reason we got blown out, along with the struggles we had setting up our offense thanks to good pressure from opposing teams. Both of those teams were vulnerable when strong, quick defenders could hinder our 3pt jump shooters and Gerald wasn't hitting his midrange J's. Villanova went 6'2-6'5-6'6-6'7-6'8 with their starting lineup against us in that game. The lineup with Amile starting at C for next year for go 6'0, 6'4, 6'8, 6'8, 6'8. I actually think Quinn, Rasheed, Rodney, Jabari, and Amile would probably fare pretty well against a team like Villanova '09, provided they shoot better than 26%.
    While I pretty much agree with all this, I personally thought our issues against both West Virginia in 2008 and Villanova in 2009 were primarily defensive. Especially in the second half against Villanova. We just couldn't stop them. At all. We also shot poorly, but after our poor shooting in the first half we were only down 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    While I pretty much agree with all this, I personally thought our issues against both West Virginia in 2008 and Villanova in 2009 were primarily defensive. Especially in the second half against Villanova. We just couldn't stop them. At all. We also shot poorly, but after our poor shooting in the first half we were only down 3.
    The Villanova loss was a failure both offensively and defensively. We scored only 54 points. You simply can't expect to win a Sweet-16 game scoring that poorly. We played fabulous defense in the first half to keep it close at the half. But in the second half, our defense was atrocious and we allowed 51 points. So, in summary:
    - offense was awful the entire game
    - defense was great in the first half and awful in the second half

Our offensive woes were because we had no PG and Villanova had the perfect combination 4 tall, athletic, versatile wings who could switch on our weave offense and defend any of Sheyer, Singler, Smith, Henderson, etc. Our defensive woes in the second half were due to our inability to stop dribble penetration from their perimeter players.

The WVU game was, again, a solid first half defensively and a bad second half defensively. The offense was just mediocre throughout. The reasons for the bad second-half defense were that our PG couldn't defend their PG (Mazzulla), and he went for nearly a triple double with 13 points, 11 rebounds (5 offensive boards!), and 8 assists.

As COYS mentioned, the common theme is that both of these teams played a lineup of mostly tall, athletic players without a true C. And both played VERY physical defense. This allowed them to switch on screens, negating our weave game. And in both games, our offense definitely struggled.
    Last edited by CDu; 01-29-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Trey Lyles

The 6'11" former Indiana commit has cut UNC from his list, and is down to six schools, including Duke. He's #5 overall in the Rivals rankings. If we don't get him, it sure would be great to see Butler land a big fish like this. Link.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    The 6'11" former Indiana commit has cut UNC from his list...
    Gotta love that. I might just make some popcorn and head on over to IC for a bit 8-)

The 6'11" former Indiana commit has cut UNC from his list, and is down to six schools, including Duke. He's #5 overall in the Rivals rankings. If we don't get him, it sure would be great to see Butler land a big fish like this. Link.
    It's still funny but getting familiar to see Butler on lists like this. I doubt he goes there (it strikes me as weird he'd cut IU if he was truly interested in Butler - feels like the classic hometown school left on a list for fondness reasons) but still interesting.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    It's still funny but getting familiar to see Butler on lists like this. I doubt he goes there (it strikes me as weird he'd cut IU if he was truly interested in Butler - feels like the classic hometown school left on a list for fondness reasons) but still interesting.
    Yeah and Harrison Barnes was totally considering Iowa State

Wow--according to the linked article, he plays at the 2, 3, 4, and 5 on his high school team, leads the team in assists, and is the first or second ball-handler. Obviously, he is not likely to be that versatile at the next level, but that is a very impressive skill set for a guy who is 6' 11".

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Lyles decommitted from Indiana but left them on his list for a while. They basically decided to stop pursuing him (stopped contacting him and stopped going to his games, even the local ones). It sounds like that particular well was poisoned, so I would not read too much into Indiana's absence on his list with respect to Butler's presence on it.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Gotta love that. I might just make some popcorn and head on over to IC for a bit 8-)
    Dont bother. It's the predictable "we don't need him and he's not that good anyway" drivel. Oh and they add in that he and his family are dirty, looking for improper benefits, etc. Dem grapes is sour!

Dont bother. It's the predictable "we don't need him and he's not that good anyway" drivel. Oh and they add in that he and his family are dirty, looking for improper benefits, etc. Dem grapes is sour!
    THAT explains why the demerol dome is so quiet! Sour grapes begats sour wine (and sour whine), so the wine and cheese crowd must be too puckered to cheer!

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Wow--according to the linked article, he plays at the 2, 3, 4, and 5 on his high school team, leads the team in assists, and is the first or second ball-handler. Obviously, he is not likely to be that versatile at the next level, but that is a very impressive skill set for a guy who is 6' 11".
    That team must really be shorthanded and he must really be quick to cover that much of the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    That team must really be shorthanded and he must really be quick to cover that much of the court.
    Offense: I imagine there's a lot of give-and-go with the point guard.
    Defense: They call it the "Trey and One" (logical succession of "box-and-one")

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    More seriously, Duke had another pretty good player who, in high school at Farrell, PA High, played (at different times ) the 1, 2, 3, 4 and five positions. That on a team that won two or three PA Class AAAA State Championships. That was Jack Marin, '66.

Duke unc tonight

Any big 2014 recruits in Cameron tonight?

Hopefully Okafor, Jones and Pinson will see Duke roll over Roy this evening.

GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

GTHC
    I believe Pinson and Giles are expected.

Keep in mind that it's a Wednesday in the middle of February. These guys do have classes.

After Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

GTHC
    After Maryland 2, I truly hope that we get Jahlil Okafor and/or Trey Lyles to bolster what appears to be a front court weakness next year. I wouldn't count on Jabari being a multi-year player, but Jefferson, Murphy and Ojeleye should be here and give us solid play at the PF position.

Of course I would love to see Tyrus Jones come in to overlap with Quinn, if Quinn stays through his senior year.

Jahlil's latest blog

Everyone's favorite high school big man has updated his blog. Nice things to say about Duke, as usual, but an interesting bit about UK. I'm not garnering too much from it but check it out for yourself.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/arti...y-little-liars

Quote Originally Posted by rhynelander View Post
    Everyone's favorite high school big man has updated his blog. Nice things to say about Duke, as usual, but an interesting bit about UK. I'm not garnering too much from it but check it out for yourself.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/arti...y-little-liars
    ... I’m a big dog lover!

I think my favorites are Golden Retrievers, ...
    Doesn't Coach K have dogs???

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Doesn't Coach K have dogs???
    My old folks memory seems to recall he has two Labs, Cameron and Defense. Would someone like to confirm/correct/bail me out?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    My old folks memory seems to recall he has two Labs, Cameron and Defense. Would someone like to confirm/correct/bail me out?
    I'll contribute 50 bucks. You're definitely worth it. Other than that, there's not much more I can do.

ricks