Page 170 of 180 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,400 of 3586
    Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    Oh, man, let's hope not. One of the most ill-conceived sports metaphors Duke has ever chosen to associate itself with. There are about a hundred ways in which it invites unpleasant readings.
    Not that anyone cares, but I thought it was a great metaphor when I was in high school so it became our AAU team name.

Nothing like a bunch of white, rural kids walking into AAU tournaments with (what resembled) a black power symbol on their jerseys and a team name like "The Fist" on the bracket posted in the lobby.

Mourning

Quote Originally Posted by lilblue View Post
    Anybody hearing anything regarding Trey Mourning (Alonso's kid)? I've heard there's some interest from him.
    Trey Mourning (actually Alonzo Mourning III) is 6-9, 215 prep player at Miami. He seems to be a developmental guy -- he's not a top 100 prospect. He is in the 2014 class.

Duke is definitely interested, although as far as I know, there has not been an offer. Florida HAS offered. Georgetown is recruiting, but has not offered yet.

Coach K may be holding off to see what Parker/Turner/Jeter (basically plays the same spot in the 2015 Class) do ... there may be an academic factor in the delay (which would explain Georgetown's hesitation).

Mourning

Yeah not sure how credible this site is...obviously its a Georgetown Hoya site though but for those interested here's the link:

http://www.casualhoya.com/2014/4/8/5...uke-recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by OnToTheNextOne View Post
    Yeah not sure how credible this site is...obviously its a Georgetown Hoya site though but for those interested here's the link:

http://www.casualhoya.com/2014/4/8/5...uke-recruiting
    As far as I can tell (just reading some recruiting sources) Trey may decide soon, but has not visited Duke yet and there is no indication that he has a visit scheduled.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    As far as I can tell (just reading some recruiting sources) Trey may decide soon, but has not visited Duke yet and there is no indication that he has a visit scheduled.
    Or, for that matter, an offer.

Trey Mourning

With Parker, Hood, and Turner still up in the air, Duke can't really offer Mourning right now. Too many scholarships, too little playing time, too many signals that don't want to be sent.

And if Mourning would be interested right now, without knowing what the deal is with Parker, Hood, and Turner, he'd have to be really interested in Duke and not counting on PT for at least a year or very confident in his ability.

It's entirely possible that Mourning is holding off on other offers to see whether Duke will offer, and it's possible he knows that some other chips have to fall before he knows the answer to that question.

All in all, I think it's likely Duke can get Mourning if Duke wants Mourning. I'm just not sure Duke wants Mourning right now. Lotta moving pieces for a couple weeks.
    Last edited by Henderson; 04-10-2014 at 12:50 AM.

Does Embiid's declaration essentially rule us out of the Myles Turner sweepstakes? Kansas has always felt like the biggest player (although Texas and SMU seem to have a shot as well).

A front court of Parker, Turner and Okafor would've been enough for me to quit drinking. There's still hope, I suppose.

Age Limit

Adam Silver advocating increasing the age limit to 20 years in time for the 2015 draft. It's not a certainty but interesting, particular with the notion of subsidizing college players LINK. Not sure what to think of that.

Jahlil Okafor, for instance, would still be 19 at the time of the 2015 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Adam Silver advocating increasing the age limit to 20 years in time for the 2015 draft. It's not a certainty but interesting, particular with the notion of subsidizing college players LINK. Not sure what to think of that.

Jahlil Okafor, for instance, would still be 19 at the time of the 2015 draft.
    I'd be perfectly OK with the Church of Latter Day Saints revising its moral code of conduct to not only prohibit sex and tea but also the NBA. I am thinking about sending a letter signed from a concerned mormon.

I just saw Myles turner has set a date for his announcement: 4/30 per Paul biancardi.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    I just saw Myles turner has set a date for his announcement: 4/30 per Paul biancardi.
    Fun with twitter...

Omar Majzoub ‏@OmarMaz34 5h
    2014 five-star big man Myles Turner has cut list of schools down to just Kansas, Texas and #SMU, according to @chadfordinsider

Myles Turner ‏@Original_Turner 4h
    There is no truth to me cutting my list to 3 schools, thank you

Sean Obi, potential transfer

Via Twitter -
    Adam Rowe ‏@BlueDevilLair 35m
    Rice transfer Sean Obi visiting Duke today through Saturday - http://duke.247sports.com/Board/5946...urday-28183433

http://duke.247sports.com/Board/5946...urday-28183433

Obi was not in the RSCI top 100 last year but did average 11 and 9, which is strong to very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Via Twitter -
    Rice transfer Sean Obi visiting Duke today through Saturday - http://duke.247sports.com/Board/5946...urday-28183433

Obi was not in the RSCI top 100 last year but did average 11 and 9, which is strong to very strong.
    Wow! Big dude. 6'9" is a legitimate height for a PF/C, but he's 265! A core of MP3, AJ, Obi, and [insert 2015 recruit here] would be very nice in the post. Would provide experience, talent, and future development opportunities.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Via Twitter -

Re the RSCI rating, Obi is likely a late bloomer, having lived in Nigeria until he was 15, when he came to the US to live with a family in Greenwich and attended a small private school there that was by no means a basketball factory. He is clearly very smart and was recruited by a lot of Ivies before choosing Rice, so it's not surprising the roster of potential transfer schools he is looking at are all pretty high quality academic schools.

Obi seems like a solid character guy with a lot of room to continue improving his game with more experience and high quality coaching.

Ebi is a Duke priority. Great rebounder, great student, fills a need. Duke wants him. Virginia could be the biggest competition. Duke needs to make a great impression today.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Re the RSCI rating, Obi is likely a late bloomer, having lived in Nigeria until he was 15, when he came to the US to live with a family in Greenwich and attended a small private school there that was by no means a basketball factory. He is clearly very smart and was recruited by a lot of Ivies before choosing Rice, so it's not surprising the roster of potential transfer schools he is looking at are all pretty high quality academic schools.

Obi seems like a solid character guy with a lot of room to continue improving his game with more experience and high quality coaching.

Domantas Sabonis has reportedly signed with Gonzaga. Some of the Bulldogs' (does anyone actually remember that this is their nickname?) fans insist that Duke and a number of Pac 12 were interested before he leaned towards Gonzaga. I don't follow recruiting very closely because it reminds me too much of a job I once held, but did anyone here ever hear anything to that effect? It is probably better if we didn't waste too much time with it. I have no idea what will happen, but I have the feeling that if he was going to a bigger name school, the resulting eligibility investigation would make the Enes Kanter one look small.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Domantas Sabonis has reportedly signed with Gonzaga. Some of the Bulldogs' (does anyone actually remember that this is their nickname?) fans insist that Duke and a number of Pac 12 were interested before he leaned towards Gonzaga. I don't follow recruiting very closely because it reminds me too much of a job I once held, but did anyone here ever hear anything to that effect? It is probably better if we didn't waste too much time with it. I have no idea what will happen, but I have the feeling that if he was going to a bigger name school, the resulting eligibility investigation would make the Enes Kanter one look small.
    I've never heard of this person before, but is he related to Arvydas?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I've never heard of this person before, but is he related to Arvydas?
    His son, according to ESPN. The item says he played for a team in the Spanish ACB league but did not sign a pro contract. He is 6'11", 230.

So, do we now offer Mourning?

Quote Originally Posted by lilblue View Post
    So, do we now offer Mourning?
    If we can't get Sabonis or Mourning, do we then go after Robinson, Olajuwon or Ewing? (Young Ewing is already a pro somewhere though, isn't he?)
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”