Page 15 of 180 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    HAHA! Nice!
    What about duel citizens though?
    I am relieved that the proclamation did not impose on us traditional English food, like bubble and squeak, suet pudding, kippers, and steak and kidney pie. That alone would incite another insurrection.

sagegrouse
    'Fish and chips are fine, though'

12. ...Watching Andie McDowell attempt English dialogue in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one's ears removed with a cheese grater.
    Well played, as an Anglophile myself. (I have a Sir Winston statue in my World Financial Center office.)

One quibble, though. Andie McDowell played Carrie, an AMERICAN, in Four Weddings. Perhaps her US English accent was confusing to the Brits, who thought she had a badly rehearsed accent from Yorkshire or Cornwall...or similar.

Hey, I've got a Winston autographed book in my living room. Stop by!

revolution

I could go along with the vocabulary, the new government, the metric rules, the replacement of American beer with British bitters and German lagers and most of all, the prohibition of personal fire arms. But I started to waver when he suggested replacing football with "soccer" (the most boring sport ever invented -- and the root cause of more thuggery than every other athletic endeavor) ... then he lost me on:

14. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. You will learn cricket, and we will let you face the South Africans first to take the sting out of their deliveries.
    It's kind of funny that in an attempt to label Americans as myopic, he should suggest that nobody plays baseball outside American. That should come as news to the Japanese, the Koreans and the Tawainese. Of course, it's more popular in many Latin American venues than "football/soccer". Now, it's possible that Cleese -- with his imprecise vocabulary -- meant all of the North and South American continents when he mentioned "America" -- but even so -- that's more than one-third of the world. I'm sure that more nations take baseball seriously than those that play cricket.

No, John, that's one step too far. I care not what course others may take, but give me baseball or give me death.

And if you want to try and enforce you ban on baseball by force, may I remind you what happened the last time you guys tried to impose your sports on us. You couldn't whip us in the late 18th and early 19th centuries when you were the most powerful nation on earth and we were struggling upstarts ... if you thought our forefathers fought hard to avoid drinking your ghastly tea, wait and see how hard we fight to save America's Game.

PS Just because we are nice people (after all, we saved your sorry butts in 1917-18 and 1940-45), we will tell you who killed Kennedy ... it was a loser named Lee Harvey Oswald. You're welcome.

Justise Winslow

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1455109

He has a long list. Duke is one of the schools recruiting him the hardest. Likes UCLA, has family ties to LA, but says Duke is a school that he's "pretty interested in." Duke will get a visit(s) and is likely to be among his final 7.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Justise Winslow

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1455109

He has a long list. Duke is one of the schools recruiting him the hardest. Likes UCLA, has family ties to LA, but says Duke is a school that he's "pretty interested in." Duke will get a visit(s) and is likely to be among his final 7.

This guy would be an excellent get. Not only is he an outstanding kid, but he's got a very solid body and is really athetic. Kid can ball. Seems to me that between Winslow and Theo Pinson, we'd probably take one of the two at that position, but not both.

I see that he was talking up UCLA. He'd be wise to talk to Tony Parker about how that living-the-Hollywood-life thing is going. After the grease fire that UCLA has been this year with all these high profile recruits, it's hard to see others wanting to become part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    This guy would be an excellent get. Not only is he an outstanding kid, but he's got a very solid body and is really athetic. Kid can ball. Seems to me that between Winslow and Theo Pinson, we'd probably take one of the two at that position, but not both.

I see that he was talking up UCLA. He'd be wise to talk to Tony Parker about how that living-the-Hollywood-life thing is going. After the grease fire that UCLA has been this year with all these high profile recruits, it's hard to see others wanting to become part of that.
    I agree. This guy is a stud (and yes I've seen him play in person) - a great rebounder from the small forward position and a stat-sheet stuffer. In addition to the possible SF overlap with Pinson, I suspect the nature of his game may have some overlap with Semi.

As for UCLA, a lot is going to change there between now and the time Winslow will be a frosh - more likely than not they will have a new coach, which will probably improve morale, and the roster is going to be very different. Likely gone will be Drew, Wear, Wear, Muhammad, Anderson, Parker. The only current meaningful contributors that likely will be around are Jordan Adams and Norman Powell. So, I'd say for kids in the Class of 2014, UCLA is a giant question mark that will become less of a question mark (one way or another) over the next year. I wouldn't rule them out.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Emmanuel Mudiay

Does anyone know if Coach K is recruiting him? He is a 6/5 point guard from Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Struggling golfer View Post
    Does anyone know if Coach K is recruiting him? He is a 6/5 point guard from Texas
    I do not believe Duke is recruiting him.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I do not believe Duke is recruiting him.
    Just fyi, this may be changing. A couple of days ago, Airowe tweeted:

Adam Rowe ‏@DukeHoopBlog
    '14 Duke recruit RT @Hoopmixtape Emmanuel Mudiay (@EMudiay7) POSTERIZES Defender! Sick Dunk From Prime Prep Vs. Yates! http://hoopmixtape.com/2013/01/emman...prep-vs-yates/

This is the first suggestion I've seen that Duke might be involved with Mudiay.

Quote Originally Posted by Struggling golfer View Post
    I know Calipari is recruiting this guy pretty hard, but I'd rather get Tyus Jones all day.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    I know Calipari is recruiting this guy pretty hard, but I'd rather get Tyus Jones all day.
    I live in Dallas and I've seen Mudiay play a few times in person, as well as on tape, and he is much more of a combo guard. If, by whatever small chance, we can land both Jones and Mudiay they could easily play alongside each other with Jones playing the PG and Mudiay playing SG.

Trey Lyles

Didn't recognize this name, though some of you recruit-niks probably do.

He's 6'10" and apparently just picked up a Duke offer.

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/category...ll_recruiting/

**edit...as I look at the link, this may be old news
    Last edited by roywhite; 01-14-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

A very nice talent. Apparently we are stronger with him than people have thought, although (surprise) KY appears to be the strongest. This may be another talent that we lose to the vortex of Lexington.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    A very nice talent. Apparently we are stronger with him than people have thought, although (surprise) KY appears to be the strongest. This may be another talent that we lose to the vortex of Lexington.

"RgYet, coach Krzyzewski wouldn’t have made the 600+ mile trip to see Lyles in person if he knew he didn’t have a great shot at landing the talented power forward."

How could he know? I guess first you have to define "great shot".

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Yep, Roy, article was from Sept. But he appears to be one of the two main "bigs" that we are gunning for, first wave, from the 2014 class. I could be off, but my sense is that we are stronger with (and higher on) Okafor from Chi-town. Lyles seems to be an average athlete, but a dynamic scorer. Might need to add a little weight/strength to consistently play the interior in the ACC. Obviously he's a special player who could fit in here nicely. Would be awesome to get him, as they rate him the #1 PF in the class. Here's what Scout says about Lyles:

Ht: 6-9 Wt: 210
    Position: PF
    Year: Class of 2014
    AAU Team: Spiece Indy Heat
    High School: Arsenal Technical HS
    (Indianapolis, IN)

PF 1 Trey Lyles
    (Arsenal Technical HS)
    Indianapolis, IN 6-9/210 Med Yes Butler, Duke, Florida, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, North Carolina, UCLA

STRENGTHS :
    Big-Time Scorer
    Low Block Scorer
    Mid-Range Game
    AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT :
    Ballhandling
    Explosiveness

Since his sophomore season, Lyles has improved his offensive scoring package. He's rounded out his game and can score consistently not only on the block, but also with jump shots from mid-range and from three. He has great hands and touch around the basket and is confident scoring over the best of post defenders. He's an average leaper, but is fluid running the floor. Offensively he's as good as it gets at the power forward spot in the 2014 class.

** My sense is that, from the 2014 class, most likely, Duke is thinking in terms of a BIG (Okafor/Lyles), a SF-type (Winslow, Pinson), and a PG (think Tyus Jones). That'll probably change 50 times between now and Sept. 2014. We appear to have an offer out to the #1 player at every position for the 2014 class, save for SG.
    Last edited by -bdbd; 01-14-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Add this name to the list: point guard Josh Perkins out of Colorado. He recently cut his list, and Duke is on it. Kansas may be tough to beat on this one and he may be a backup plan to Tyus, but he's on the radar.

Add this name to the list: point guard Josh Perkins out of Colorado. He recently cut his list, and Duke is on it. Kansas may be tough to beat on this one and he may be a backup plan to Tyus, but he's on the radar.
    I live in Colorado but haven't seen him play. If you know, how does he compare to Dominique Collier of Denver East? Collier, as I understand it, would love to go to UNC but it doesn't appear they are interested. Colorado is definitely interested in Collier and, perhaps, Perkins.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I live in Colorado but haven't seen him play. If you know, how does he compare to Dominique Collier of Denver East? Collier, as I understand it, would love to go to UNC but it doesn't appear they are interested. Colorado is definitely interested in Collier and, perhaps, Perkins.
    Theyre both 6'2" but Perkins has the much more developed body. His body is college-ready at 185 lbs. Collier is 160. Collier has really long arms, which are a real asset defensively for s perimeter player. Both are rated as 4-star prospects, with some ratings services preferring Collier and some Perkins. Perkins is described as a highly athletic combo guard, explosive, really, but one who can really dish. He looks like he'll be able to defend against athletic college guards. But it's Collier who some have called the best prospect in Colorado and who some have said is the state's best point prospect since Chauncey Billups (who is pushing for CU here). Collier is the cousin of Sidney Moncrief. In terms of numbers, Perkins has the better stats in most categories, including scoring, assists and rebounding. Top suitors for Perkins include Kansas, Gonzaga, Duke, and Colorado. Colorado and Arizona head a crowded field seeking Collier's services.

Theyre both 6'2" but Perkins has the much more developed body. His body is college-ready at 185 lbs. Collier is 160. Collier has really long arms, which are a real asset defensively for s perimeter player. Both are rated as 4-star prospects, with some ratings services preferring Collier and some Perkins. Perkins is described as a highly athletic combo guard, explosive, really, but one who can really dish. He looks like he'll be able to defend against athletic college guards. But it's Collier who some have called the best prospect in Colorado and who some have said is the state's best point prospect since Chauncey Billups (who is pushing for CU here). Collier is the cousin of Sidney Moncrief. In terms of numbers, Perkins has the better stats in most categories, including scoring, assists and rebounding. Top suitors for Perkins include Kansas, Gonzaga, Duke, and Colorado. Colorado and Arizona head a crowded field seeking Collier's services.
    I live in Denver, and Dominique Collier has been known as a potential national recruit since his freshman season. Perkins is relatively newer to the scene. Collier is more of the distributing, true point guard, and Perkins, as you said, is more of the combo guard. With that said, I personally like Collier better, but Perkins is the better scorer at this time.

As far as I know, Duke isn't recruiting Collier, and it will be difficult to get Perkins when it's clear he's Duke second/third option. Perkins definitely has not received a scholarship from Duke, while Bill Self was recently at his game to watch him (KU has offered). Perkins would be a good pickup for KU, great for CU (seems like CU has decided to pursue Collier more than Perkins), and a gap-fill for Duke. He could become a solid player, but right now, nowhere close to others on Duke's radar.