Page 13 of 180 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    If you're saying that Calipari used the DR job to get HS players, then I think you're being shortsighted and bitter.
    No he's not. I think you're being naive. You think it was just an accident that of all the countries in the world that he could've coached, he just happened to select, or get selected by, the one country that had a hugely talented high school big man who was at the top of everyone's recruiting list for 2015, and that Calipari had a huge, huge incentive to want to get closer to and gain advantage for his services? Just a coincidence? I think not.

If this was all just altruism on Calipari's part, with no intent to gain a recruiting advantage, then I guess we should expect him to coach the DR again in the next Olympics, right? Want to bet any folding money that doesn't happen???

It's a tactic. DR asked Calipari, Calipari said yes. Not the other way around.
    And you know that . . . how exactly? In fact, I would bet dollars to donuts it was Calipari who sought out the job.

And lastly, the AAU coach situation doesn't pertain. Why is Coach K coaching Team USA not moonlighting, but Calipari coaching DR is moonlighting? I really don't get the distinction.
    You really don't? For the reasons cited by other posters already: Coach K was not recruiting, or interested in recruiting, any of the players on the USA team to play at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Great call, I was thinking the same thing. Billy Donovan, Mark Few and Shaka Smart had prime access to these players, including undecideds like Julius Randle. How is it any different than Calipari and the DR National Team?
    This is a great point. I had forgotten this; I'm not sure how it's allowed either. Definitely a parallel between the two situations.

My first guess would be that a U-## Team has to by definition be high school players. A national team does not have to be high school players (and almost always won't be). So I'm sure there are clear guidelines that a college coach must follow in order to coach these teams.

But it still seems largely in the same basket as the DR issue.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    No he's not. I think you're being naive. You think it was just an accident that of all the countries in the world that he could've coached, he just happened to select, or get selected by, the one country that had a hugely talented high school big man who was at the top of everyone's recruiting list for 2015, and that Calipari had a huge, huge incentive to want to get closer to and gain advantage for his services? Just a coincidence? I think not.
    Like you, I guarantee that a portion of Calipari taking the job was recruiting. To say what that portion is is merely speculation. With Coach K, obviously Lebron wasn't going to play for Duke. But if you're saying that improving the Duke brand - and by association recruiting - wasn't a reason to take the Team USA job, then you too are being naive. Have you seen DukeBluePlanet and all the interviews with NBA All-Stars? That's not a recruiting tactic? I have absolutely no issue with it.

If this was all just altruism on Calipari's part, with no intent to gain a recruiting advantage, then I guess we should expect him to coach the DR again in the next Olympics, right? Want to bet any folding money that doesn't happen???
    This is speculation. Neither of us know. Calipari coached the DR for both 2011 and 2012. Wouldn't he only need one year to solidify one prospect?

And you know that . . . how exactly? In fact, I would bet dollars to donuts it was Calipari who sought out the job.
    Article: http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UL-gxYM8CSo. I'm sure you're not going to believe it because it's Calipari, though.

You really don't? For the reasons cited by other posters already: Coach K was not recruiting, or interested in recruiting, any of the players on the USA team to play at Duke.
    Coach K knew the positive externalities that would arise from coaching Team USA. Again, please see the DukeBluePlanet videos.

Again, I don't like Calipari. His history of violations alone is ridiculous. But, so far, with Kentucky, he has done everything right, at least to the knowledge of the fans and the media. He created a niche market (recruiting one-and-dones) and is, hands down, the best recruiter in the game. However, I like Coach K's strategy better because I don't like the one-and-done rule and love watching players develop. Calipari will continue to take players that Duke wants, but Coach K is smarter than Calipari and has proven that Calipari's hoarding of freshman talent is merely a small hurdle for Coach K to jump over.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    I hadn't thought before about the benefits that the coaches of the U- teams get, but it makes sense, and actually seems to be even less in the spirit of the rules than the road that Calipari took. Coach K gets a lot of positive press from the Senior Team gig, but I wonder which scenario is more effective:

Coach X begins x's and o's discussion during in-home visit by saying, "Hey Top Recruit, check out this little ball fake Lebron does, I bet you could do that for us..."
    Coach Y begins x's and o's discussion during in-home visit by saying, "Hey Top Recruit, remember that little ball fake I taught you this summer, I bet we could work on that even more..."

I don't know that I'm convinced one way or the other. Some kids might really prefer Coach Y because he's a little more personal, whereas Coach X, while he has a great resume, is more distant.

Interesting discussion, whatever your opinion. I don't think Calipari is violating any rules and personally think he's wasting a lot of would-be recruiting time if he's only going after one kid for two summers, particularly if that one kid is going to play more games for Cal in a DR uniform than in a UK uniform.

Even better with the tweet from the King himself

LeBron James ‏@KingJames
    My 2 mentors in life! K & Jay http://instagr.am/p/S4PPMeCTA2/

Kentucky has ethics issues. I feel bad for them, son.
    Duke's got 99 problems, but a shady coach ain't one.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Kentucky has ethics issues. I feel bad for them, son.
    Duke's got 99 problems, but a shady coach ain't one.
    You, Cal, think your little recruits can play me?
    I'm from Durham, I'm varsity, chump, you're JV

I spent some time with Karl Towns yesterday for a profile I'm writing. Man, what a great kid. I told him this, but the sad part for me is that I could have seen him at Duke in a second. He's personable, intelligent and mature beyond his years. And I watched a little of practice, and he can do it all: slashing, shot blocking, long-range shooting. (He hit six of seven threes in a scrimmage by my count, and he told me he was disappointed because he "really wanted to hit them all.") In a 1-on-1 drill, the kid he was guarding scored over him, and his teammates busted on him a little. Towns laughed and said, "I want him to hit that shot!" Just a refreshing kid, who you're going to love watching, even if he picked the wrong royal blue.

The worst part? He told me Duke was "definitely in [his] top 2." I always thought he was going to go to UK based on his relationship with Calipari from the Dominican team -- note: I found nothing wrong with that -- but I'm starting to wonder if we were a lot closer than I thought we were here.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I spent some time with Karl Towns yesterday for a profile I'm writing. Man, what a great kid. I told him this, but the sad part for me is that I could have seen him at Duke in a second. He's personable, intelligent and mature beyond his years. And I watched a little of practice, and he can do it all: slashing, shot blocking, long-range shooting. (He hit six of seven threes in a scrimmage by my count, and he told me he was disappointed because he "really wanted to hit them all.") In a 1-on-1 drill, the kid he was guarding scored over him, and his teammates busted on him a little. Towns laughed and said, "I want him to hit that shot!" Just a refreshing kid, who you're going to love watching, even if he picked the wrong royal blue.

The worst part? He told me Duke was "definitely in [his] top 2." I always thought he was going to go to UK based on his relationship with Calipari from the Dominican team -- note: I found nothing wrong with that -- but I'm starting to wonder if we were a lot closer than I thought we were here.
    Sounds like the G Hill / Battier / Sulaimon type of person and player. Too bad. It pains me when a smart kid follows the tune of the greasy piper.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    He told me Duke was "definitely in [his] top 2." I always thought he was going to go to UK based on his relationship with Calipari from the Dominican team -- note: I found nothing wrong with that -- but I'm starting to wonder if we were a lot closer than I thought we were here.
    Well... the Silver lining here is there is plenty of time for Cal to be ousted or swayed by the Lakers.
    One can hope..

New 6'11" lefty out of Canada has popped up on Dukes radar. He has a nice skill set.

http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_NewsBre...medium=twitter

I'm a little confused as to whether he will be a 2013 or 2014 recruit? The article mentions that he will graduate this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
    New 6'11" lefty out of Canada has popped up on Dukes radar. He has a nice skill set.

I'm a little confused as to whether he will be a 2013 or 2014 recruit? The article mentions that he will graduate this year.
    Per a similar discussion on the Devil's Den, word is that he's going to do a post-grad year and enter college in the 2014 class. Eligible to go in the 2013 class, but leaning toward getting the extra year of physical development.

Here's a link to that thread:
    http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=11052954

Along with a relevant link and YouTube clip:
    michigan.scout.com/2/1198985.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkVaE...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Per a similar discussion on the Devil's Den, word is that he's going to do a post-grad year and enter college in the 2014 class. Eligible to go in the 2013 class, but leaning toward getting the extra year of physical development.

Here's a link to that thread:
    http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=11052954

Along with a relevant link and YouTube clip:
    michigan.scout.com/2/1198985.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkVaE...ature=youtu.be
    Why not come on to Duke and red shirt? That would definitely be better for development than hanging around prep school another year.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Why not come on to Duke and red shirt? That would definitely be better for development than hanging around prep school another year.
    He was saying in an article that some coaches wanted him to come out in 2013, but he wanted his body to fill in and continue to develop. I suspect he could be persuaded given the right circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post

5...4...3...2...1... and now he's on Roy's radar

Per a similar discussion on the Devil's Den, word is that he's going to do a post-grad year and enter college in the 2014 class. Eligible to go in the 2013 class, but leaning toward getting the extra year of physical development. ...
    Could he be the first "none and done" under the new system (without Europe)? Maybe cal can spend some time recruiting him and then take credit for turning him into a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Could he be the first "none and done" under the new system (without Europe)? Maybe cal can spend some time recruiting him and then take credit for turning him into a pro.
    I am guessing this was in jest, but I'm pretty sure that going to a post-grad academy doesn't count toward NBA eligibility. Could be wrong about that though. But I'm pretty sure Lorenzo Brown and many others have gone the post-grad approach before entering college.

I am guessing this was in jest, but I'm pretty sure that going to a post-grad academy doesn't count toward NBA eligibility. Could be wrong about that though. But I'm pretty sure Lorenzo Brown and many others have gone the post-grad approach before entering college.
    I thought you just had to be a certain age, no?

Just a thought, could coaching a HS kid like Calapari did actually work to his disadvantage? I mean, you can put on the sales pitch and be all smiles and happy during recruiting visits and all, but what if a kid is exposed to and doesn't particularly bond with a coach due to his on court demeanor and coaching?

I think that it could cut both ways, but the advantages outweigh the risks especially if you are using the coaching job as a recruiting tool.