Page 11 of 180 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    Im just sitting here thinking about things that probly wont happen but its good for conversation purposes.

Cal Shady maybe on the way to delivering a monster recruiting class for next year if he lands Julius Randle and Andrew Wiggins. Pair them with the Harrison twins and James Young and thats hard to beat.

2014 could be a monster class for Coach K if he lands Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor and Theo Pinson.

If all of the above happen, wich would be a better class?
    Definitely the Kentucky class.

Wiggins is the real deal - best recruit since LeBron. The rest is just gravy if he lands Wiggins.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Definitely the Kentucky class.

Wiggins is the real deal - best recruit since LeBron. The rest is just gravy if he lands Wiggins.
    I thought Jabari Parker was the best recruit since Lebron.

But I agree with you that KY would have the better class based on the quality of players as well as the sheer number of players Cal would potentially bring in for just one class. And don't forget Marcus Lee verballed to KY for next year as well.

Wiggins is the real deal - best recruit since LeBron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I thought Jabari Parker was the best recruit since Lebron.
    Wrong on both counts. They're only really the best two recruits since Harrison Barnes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Wrong on both counts. They're only really the best two recruits since Harrison Barnes.
    Just like we have the storm of the century every few years, we have the best high-school player ever every few years.

That said, the Duke coaches really, really like Jabari Parker and think he would be a perfect fit at Duke, on and off the court.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Just like we have the storm of the century every few years, we have the best high-school player ever every few years.

That said, the Duke coaches really, really like Jabari Parker and think he would be a perfect fit at Duke, on and off the court.
    I would like to see Andrew Wiggins in a Duke jersey, too... but that won't happen.

I think Parker would be a great fit at Duke, but I think Wiggins is the better player.

I stand corrected!

I would like to see Andrew Wiggins in a Duke jersey, too... but that won't happen.

I think Parker would be a great fit at Duke, but I think Wiggins is the better player.
    It kind of depends on how one gauges the caliber of a player. Wiggins may be the better athlete and more dynamic on the court, but it's possible that Jabari would be better in terms of intangibles -- leadership, personality in the locker room, etc. I can't say, as I don't know much about Andrew's personality and temperament, but Jabari seems incredibly mature and balanced, which would likely add a lot to his overall contributions should he come to Duke. Both great players. Hopefully Jabari will come to Durham.

But are either as good as the black pigeon believes himself to be? Could anyone be that good?

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    It kind of depends on how one gauges the caliber of a player. Wiggins may be the better athlete and more dynamic on the court, but it's possible that Jabari would be better in terms of intangibles -- leadership, personality in the locker room, etc. I can't say, as I don't know much about Andrew's personality and temperament, but Jabari seems incredibly mature and balanced, which would likely add a lot to his overall contributions should he come to Duke. Both great players. Hopefully Jabari will come to Durham.
    Amen. I like to think that Duke athletes receive at least as much as they contribute. Wiggins might be a star for a year, but I think Parker has that quality that the special Duke players have, the kind of quality that Kyrie, Shane and Grant have (and more than a few others). Coach K could elevate Jabari to that level.

Just read this blog post about Tyus Jones' final eight schools. The last few paragraphs where he talks about teaming up with Jahlil Okafor is really encouraging, especially when it talks about how much both of them enjoyed their visit to Duke.

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2012/11/..._campaign=feed

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Mike Dunleavy and Carlos Boozer also left with a title, while Steve Gray, Scott Goetsch, Mark Alarie, Jay Bilas, Cherokee Parks, Eric Meek, Taymon Domzalski and Trajan Langdon made it to the title game.

We could throw in a little Ricky Price for seasoning.
    I'd throw in a little (Seth) Curry for seasoning. But he's not from the west coast. Sorry.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I'm wondering how UNC's in-hand class of 2013 - Britt, Hicks, and now Meeks - might affect Roy's chances with Jones and Okafor [class of 2014]. I'll hope it suggests Roy thinks he's not ahead for Jones or Okafor. He's stockpiled 2 solid/high rated PGs: Paige, a Jr. in 14-15 season, and Britt, a Soph then. And up front, he'll have Johnson, Hicks, Hubert, James, and Meeks.

I've no doubt that both Jones and Okafor would move ahead of their competition in the Heels' depth-chart, but if Roy can convince Jones and Okafor to come to CH, I'd have to say that "stockpile" would be an understatement.

Nice to hear positive comments last few weeks re Duke from Jones and Okafor. Very important recruits. [I know, hardly a great insight there....]

Surprise, surprise...

Karl Towns popped for UK this morning, at a presser that some recruiting guys compared to the production value of an NBA presser.

I include this in the 2014 recruiting thread because he simultaneously announced his decision to reclassify (2015 --> 2014). Some good news to distract the Big Blue fanbase from the stench of failure in Lexington these days.
    Last edited by English; 12-04-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Freudian slip/typo

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Karl Towns popped for UK this morning, at a presser that some recruiting guys compared to the production value of an NBA presser.

I include this in the 2014 recruiting thread because he simultaneously announced his decision to reclassify (2015 --> 2014). Some good news to distract the Big Blue fanbase from the stench of failure in Lexington these days.
    Hopefully Towns commitment to Kentucky leads Jahlil Okafor toward Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
    Hopefully Towns commitment to Kentucky leads Jahlil Okafor toward Duke.
    Will be interesting to see, for curiosity purposes if no other reason, what Towns' presence in the 2014 class does to the top of the class recruit rankings.

Well Calipari has shown that he can and will play 2 talented front court players together in Nerlens and Cauley. Granted Cauley is significantly less well regarded compared to Nerlens. Even their strengths/weaknesses supposedly overlap.

Actually it sounds like they can play together rather well. Karl Towns seems to be more of a high post perimeter oriented game. Okafor on the other hand is more of a classic back to the basket low post bruiser.

ESPN slid Towns to #3 in their 2014 rankings, behind both Okafor and Tyus Jones.

How does a *sophmore* decide to reclassify to a year earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by Lennies View Post
    How does a *sophmore* decide to reclassify to a year earlier?
    Don't know the exact facts here, but in many cases the individual may have already stretched out his high school eligibility, and is now returning to a normal graduation target.

For example, the player started off to school many years with a group of kids who were scheduled to graduate in 2014; the player may have transferred to a prep school or repeated a year and became class of 2015. He now says...no, I can finish my requirements by 2014 and graduate with the group I originally started with.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post

I'm sure we had discussed this in a previous thread (maybe even this thread), but Towns played on the Dominican Republic National Team (in Olympic qualifying) which was coached by John Calipari.

I don't mean to insinuate that this was any kind of recruiting violation. In fact, I'm sure it wasn't given the very public nature of it. But on the surface it certainly seems like an unfair recruiting advantage. And yes, I would argue there is a very distinct difference between Coach K's Olympic interactions and Calipari's in this instance - mainly, because the head coach at the University of Kentucky coached a high school kid who was interested in his own school. Almost certainly, this had to be with intent of directing Towns to UK. At least to some degree.

Not sayin'. Just sayin'...

- Chillin

PS - To clarify what I'm thinking, can a college coach spend his summers coaching high school AAU games? Then just return to his college? How is it not improper contact?
    Last edited by ChillinDuke; 12-04-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: PS

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I'm sure we had discussed this in a previous thread (maybe even this thread), but Towns played on the Dominican Republic National Team (in Olympic qualifying) which was coached by John Calipari.

I don't mean to insinuate that this was any kind of recruiting violation. In fact, I'm sure it wasn't given the very public nature of it. But on the surface it certainly seems like an unfair recruiting advantage. And yes, I would argue there is a very distinct difference between Coach K's Olympic interactions and Calipari's in this instance - mainly, because the head coach at the University of Kentucky coached a high school kid who was interested in his own school. Almost certainly, this had to be with intent of directing Towns to UK. At least to some degree.

Not sayin'. Just sayin'...

- Chillin

PS - To clarify what I'm thinking, can a college coach spend his summers coaching high school AAU games? Then just return to his college? How is it not improper contact?
    I have to completely disagree with you. IMO, while I don't think that Coach K's presence with Team USA violates anything, it does give Coach K an advantage in recruiting. Everyone on this forum thinks so (how can a picture with 12 gold medals around your neck surrounded by Lebron, Kobe, and Dwayne not help you recruit?).

Dominican Republic isn't a basketball powerhouse. If they can get a solid coach with a great name, like Calipari, then good for them! They need the press and Calipari wants to expand his profile. And if Calipari builds tight connections with a high school who happens to be the best big man in the country? Than so be it. Now, if Calipari coached Team USA and had Julius Randle, Tyus Jones, and Jahill Okafor in his line-up, then yes, that would be a complete violation and a snake-like move. But DR isn't Team USA.

I don't like Calipari, but he is doing everything right on the recruiting end (as long as he's playing within the rules). If the NBA / NCAA allows one-and-dones, then why not use that strategy. In the business world, that is one hell of a strategy.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club