Page 10 of 180 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    VERY interesting snippet from Jahlil

Jason Jordan ‏@JayJayUSATODAY
    Jahlil Okafor Blog teaser. "I hate when coaches say 'Dont go set screens at Duke.' I don't even get where people get that from. It's a lie."
    Would be interesting to know what coaches he had contact with today...

Also believe this shows what a great job our coaching staff does. Jahlil is a big time recruit, so it's good to know that our coaches are accurately portraying the benefits of our system to big guys and guards alike. Also good to know that not every kid buys in to the negative hype.

Duke is the best. Unless you want to get paid at Kentucky. Or establish your "brand" at UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDevil View Post
    Would be interesting to know what coaches he had contact with today...

Also believe this shows what a great job our coaching staff does. Jahlil is a big time recruit, so it's good to know that our coaches are accurately portraying the benefits of our system to big guys and guards alike. Also good to know that not every kid buys in to the negative hype.

Duke is the best. Unless you want to get paid at Kentucky. Or establish your "brand" at UNC.
    I agree. That was my first reaction - that the Duke staff had prepped him a little in advance of that bit of negative recruiting BS. Here's a partial list of schools that are recruiting him: Arizona, Arkansas, DePaul, Duke, Georgetown, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisville, Michigan State, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, NCSU, Ohio State, Wisconsin. I saw recent articles (within the last few weeks) re. contacts with Calipari, ole Roy and Tom Izzo at MSU. The first two have been known to use negative recruiting against Duke, either directly or via surrogates. But who really knows??! Mostly, I'm hoping Mason has a fabulous year this season and blows away that kind of baloney. Give the kid props for calling a spade a spade.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    I agree. That was my first reaction - that the Duke staff had prepped him a little in advance of that bit of negative recruiting BS. Here's a partial list of schools that are recruiting him: Arizona, Arkansas, DePaul, Duke, Georgetown, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisville, Michigan State, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, NCSU, Ohio State, Wisconsin. I saw recent articles (within the last few weeks) re. contacts with Calipari, ole Roy and Tom Izzo at MSU. The first two have been known to use negative recruiting against Duke, either directly or via surrogates. But who really knows??! Mostly, I'm hoping Mason has a fabulous year this season and blows away that kind of baloney. Give the kid props for calling a spade a spade.
    Although it's just a snippet taken out of context, this raises my hopes, ever so slightly, that a trifecta of Pinson-Tyus-Jahlil might actually be possible. I've felt quite good about Tyus and Theo, but always have had in the back of my mind regarding Jahlil the whole Duke big man recruiting myth. Would his link to Tyus and the allure of K and Duke really be enough to override the negative recruiting I assumed a big man recruit of his stature would be hearing left and right? The fact that he would go beyond saying the typical pleasantries that we've heard from others about Duke to actually going actively on Duke's defense (almost sounding like one of us fans), to me says a lot. Will be interesting for sure to see how this turns out.

Somebody give that young man a pen....

Jahlil Okafor Blog teaser. "I hate when coaches say 'Dont go set screens at Duke.' I don't even get where people get that from. It's a lie."
    "Don't go to Duke and learn how to play big-boy basketball." Let's see, to run a pro-set screen and roll, a player must start with a ...?

Pro coaches LOVE it when the first pick a player ever attempts is in his first NBA practice.

Although it's just a snippet taken out of context, this raises my hopes, ever so slightly, that a trifecta of Pinson-Tyus-Jahlil might actually be possible. I've felt quite good about Tyus and Theo, but always have had in the back of my mind regarding Jahlil the whole Duke big man recruiting myth. Would his link to Tyus and the allure of K and Duke really be enough to override the negative recruiting I assumed a big man recruit of his stature would be hearing left and right? The fact that he would go beyond saying the typical pleasantries that we've heard from others about Duke to actually going actively on Duke's defense (almost sounding like one of us fans), to me says a lot. Will be interesting for sure to see how this turns out.
    dukedoc or others...any updates on Justise Winslow? Visit to Duke? Mutual interest level?

After seeing some clips and following the FIBA competition, where he was a stat-sheet stuffer, including rebounds, he's been near the top of my 2014 wish list. Apparently, he's a good student also. Probably a similar position to Theo Pinson, and unlikely we could get both, or want both, based on scholarship numbers and other needs.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    dukedoc or others...any updates on Justise Winslow? Visit to Duke? Mutual interest level?

After seeing some clips and following the FIBA competition, where he was a stat-sheet stuffer, including rebounds, he's been near the top of my 2014 wish list. Apparently, he's a good student also. Probably a similar position to Theo Pinson, and unlikely we could get both, or want both, based on scholarship numbers and other needs.
    Not sure. I believe he was supposed to come to CTC but then decided to go to Arizona. This article doesn't really mention us much with the exception of Sheed reportedly talking us up to Justise. LINK

I agree, this guy is a beast. Not sure where we are with him now though.

I'd love to know which schools have specifically told him that.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16
    Am I the only one who felt differently? He talks about how he couldn't root for Carolina in that crowd (as if he would want to otherwise) and how he kept sneaking back to Carolina. And reenacting the Rivers shot is more about reenacting the last big shot on that court, not necessarily seeing yourself in Duke's position.
    The article mentions that before attending the Carolina-Duke football game in Chapel Hill, Tyus and some of the other recruits that were in the Durham area that weekend for the recruiting trip also attended a Tar Heel practice in the Dean Dome. So, they obviously had been spending some time with the UNC staff that weekend as well. So, when Tyus states that he couldn't exactly cheer for Carolina while sitting with the Duke coaches -- and especially not in the presence of the ultra-competitive Coach Collins, who might have turned in the direction of Tyus and ate him -- he was probably just making a simple joke on the rivalry. That's all I took from that.

I wouldn't be too worried. Considering the flavor-of-the-moment attention spans these kids have today, I wouldn't be surprised if out of his schools of interest -- Duke, North Carolina, Arizona, Baylor, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State and UCLA -- Tyus chooses Florida. You just never know anymore.

And Tyus makes a point of mentioning this in his blog post, but I honestly don't see the kid signing with UNC with Marcus Paige and Nate Britt both possibly still on campus in 2014. He says that Roy believes all three point guards bring a different set of skills to the game, and that Carolina's style is conducive to employing multiple point guards throughout a game. I don't see how that would be attractive for a five-star pg who wants to do his thing. If Paige were still there at that point in time, it is almost certain that Tyus Jones would not be playing as point guard. Remember where Jason Williams went to school when Bill Guthridge told Jason Williams, who coming out of high school was adamant that he wanted to play the lead guard position, that they envisioned playing him primarily at shooting guard? I'm sure that's not the only reason Jason picked Duke, but it was a quick way for him to shorten his list.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

It'll be one or the other with regard to Pinson and Winslow, not both. Personally, I'd be very happy with either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    ...I honestly don't see the kid signing with UNC with Marcus Paige and Nate Britt both possibly still on campus in 2014. He says that Roy believes all three point guards bring a different set of skills to the game, and that Carolina's style is conducive to employing multiple point guards throughout a game. I don't see how that would be attractive for a five-star pg who wants to do his thing.
    Both Duke and UNC have a "problem" re Jones. UNC's problem is probably a little larger.

UNC - As Cameron observes, by the 2014-15 season, Jones's frosh year, UNC will have 2 experienced, fairly highly rated PGs: junior Paige and soph Britt. It's possible, but unlikely, that one or the other would by then have departed for the NBA [or maybe UCLA]. Roy has a difficult selling job, as that's a lot of experience with which Jones would have to compete for PT. I've no doubt he'd win plenty of minutes, but he's gonna want to play major, major [25-30, at least] minutes. If he's still #1 recruit, or even top 3-5, in his class, he'll be thinking 1-done. To be sure, if Jones, Paige, and Britt somehow shared the PG and wing/SG minutes - each getting 27 mpg - that would be an exciting backcourt on O. D? Hard to say. And not hard to say that 1 of those 3 wouldn't play any PG.

Duke - Similar problem, only different. Will Quinn Cook become a star by end of his junior season, and leave for NBA before Jones's matriculation to Duke? Or will Quinn become "merely" a very solid PG, quite good, thank you, but still sticking around for his senior season in 2014-15?

Jones will know more about his competition at Duke and UNC after this, 2012-13, season. But he might not know quite enough to be totally comfortable making a decision between Duke and UNC until Spring 2014. If those 2 universities are still in, say, his top 3 a year from now, I'd be a little surprised to see him commit in Fall 2013.

That is, commit to either Duke or UNC. I suspect, and regret, that several of the other schools Jones is considering will have less complicated situations at PG by the 2014-15 season.

Unless... To end on a more optimistic note, we can hope Quinn is a solid PG this season, leading Duke to the NC [why not?], then shepherds a younger squad in 2013-14 toward a repeat, and heads off to the NBA, his stock as high as it can get. Presto: welcome Tyus and Jahlil.

Okafor's entry

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Here's Tyus Jones latest blog entry featuring his visit to Duke and UNC last weekend. I find it VERY encouraging:

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/arti...cruiting-visit
    http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/arti...ketball-season

Again, impressed with his calling out other coaches for negative recruiting and confirming the fact that Duke doesn't talk about other schools. Furthermore, the fact that that is so important to him that he would include it in his blog is very interesting. Sounds like a Duke kind of guy.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Again, impressed with his calling out other coaches for negative recruiting and confirming the fact that Duke doesn't talk about other schools. Furthermore, the fact that that is so important to him that he would include it in his blog is very interesting. Sounds like a Duke kind of guy.
    What say you, Jahlil?

Quote Originally Posted by Jahlil Okafor
    I don’t know what they’re watching because I’ve never thought big men did that at Duke. I look at Mason and they always get him the ball. Then Duke showed me how they helped develop Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer and Christian Laettner and other guys. They put lots of big men in the league so that’s just a lie when people say that.
    Jahlil Okafor was born after Christian Laettner graduated from college. It says a lot about the kid that he recognizes that the last 3-5 years are not the only years on K's resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    What say you, Jahlil?

Jahlil Okafor was born after Christian Laettner graduated from college. It says a lot about the kid that he recognizes that the last 3-5 years are not the only years on K's resume.
    Realizing of course that in the last 6 years where Duke hasn't had as many good bigs as we might hope, Josh McRoberts, Lance Thomas, Miles Plumlee have been bigs to go pro from Duke, with Mason to follow next year and perhaps Ryan. This also doesn't include Zoubek, who had himself a pretty impressive senior season and had some pro opportunities, before injuries limited him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I'd love to know which schools have specifically told him that.
    They do more than say it. They prepare selectively edited videos of our big men setting picks.

And I'm sure that it's more than just one coach, daggum it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    But you would never name names.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    They do more than say it. They prepare selectively edited videos of our big men setting picks.

Haha. It sure would be interesting to be a can of Coca-Cola in one of those video rooms.

And due to the kid's seemingly glistening character, I doubt Jahlil will ever publicly offer any of the juicy details -- maybe others have and I just haven't seen them -- but I wonder what other kinds of dirty tactics and straight-up fraudlent ancedotes are buzzing around about us from the lips of coaches at elite schools and Baylor.

That our big men exclusively set picks is the innocuous stuff.

The ugly stuff echoes Jalen Rose.

FWIW, per Clint Jackson:

Duke is going to be tough to beat for Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor. More coming in the next few days.

Im just sitting here thinking about things that probly wont happen but its good for conversation purposes.

Cal Shady maybe on the way to delivering a monster recruiting class for next year if he lands Julius Randle and Andrew Wiggins. Pair them with the Harrison twins and James Young and thats hard to beat.

2014 could be a monster class for Coach K if he lands Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor and Theo Pinson.

If all of the above happen, wich would be a better class?