Page 9 of 180 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Yet Marshall Plumlee (#68 on Scout), Tyler Thornton (unranked on Scout), Olek Czyz (87 on ESPN), and Miles Plumlee (47 on ESPN) found their way on the roster. So it happens, not infrequently.
    Nick Horvath, Andre Buckner, Andre Sweet, Lee Melchionni, David McClure, Marty Pocius . . .

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Nick Horvath, Andre Buckner, Andre Sweet, Lee Melchionni, David McClure, Marty Pocius . . .
    I hear Nick has been tearing it up in summer pick-up games - playing like a top-10 recruit

Jahlil

A blog from Okafor with a bunch of Duke references throughout. As noted elsewhere, coming to CTC with Tyus Jones. And Coach K is more popular than Coach Cal. LINK

Duke Recruit Rashad Vaughn Interview

Quote Originally Posted by GiveNGoBasketball View Post
    Instead of just linking to your site, why don't you provide some context. How does Vaughn's specifics skills fit in at Duke? Your article quotes Vaughn as saying he is looking for a team with his style of play, so how about some comments on how his style and Duke's style mesh. There is lots of potential for a symbiotic relationship between your blog and this board, but perhaps you need to step it up just a tad.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Instead of just linking to your site, why don't you provide some context. How does Vaughn's specifics skills fit in at Duke? Your article quotes Vaughn as saying he is looking for a team with his style of play, so how about some comments on how his style and Duke's style mesh. There is lots of potential for a symbiotic relationship between your blog and this board, but perhaps you need to step it up just a tad.
    Yeah sorry I didn't tell you that. Well he is very versatile so Coach can put him in many offensive sets. His basketball I.Q. is off the charts so any team could use a guy like that. Vaughn can fit in at a lot of places.

Tyus Jones Blog... Interesting Stuff

Here's Tyus Jones latest blog entry featuring his visit to Duke and UNC last weekend. I find it VERY encouraging:

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/arti...cruiting-visit

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Here's Tyus Jones latest blog entry featuring his visit to Duke and UNC last weekend. I find it VERY encouraging:

Hard to read that blog entry and not get excited about our chances, at least vis-a-vis NC@ch. But he's got a long way to go in this process obviously.

1) After reading that article I feel like every sentence ends in "And then we went back to Duke..."
    2) Can you imagine three big time recruits re-enacting Rivers' shot IN THE DEAN DOME?!? WOW. That is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDevil View Post
    2) Can you imagine three big time recruits re-enacting Rivers' shot IN THE DEAN DOME?!? WOW. That is awesome.
    I imagine the UNC fans couldn't have been thrilled to hear about that.

Can you imagine three big time recruits re-enacting Rivers' shot IN THE DEAN DOME?!? WOW. That is awesome.
    "Hey, Coach Williams..where was Zeller standing? Was it right here?"

I know it was all in fun. But I like to play it out in my mind my own way.

... 2) Can you imagine three big time recruits re-enacting Rivers' shot IN THE DEAN DOME?!? WOW. That is awesome.
    Wonder if any of them tried to do the ol' roy squat on the sidelines (CAUTION: it is important to stretch before attempting this posture!)

Roy-Williams-cops-a-squat.jpg

roy-williams.jpg

Am I the only one who felt differently? He talks about how he couldn't root for Carolina in that crowd (as if he would want to otherwise) and how he kept sneaking back to Carolina. And reenacting the Rivers shot is more about reenacting the last big shot on that court, not necessarily seeing yourself in Duke's position.

Regardless, reading into a recruit's feelings from blogs like this has been proven to be silly at best.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Am I the only one who felt differently? He talks about how he couldn't root for Carolina in that crowd (as if he would want to otherwise) and how he kept sneaking back to Carolina. And reenacting the Rivers shot is more about reenacting the last big shot on that court, not necessarily seeing yourself in Duke's position.

Regardless, reading into a recruit's feelings from blogs like this has been proven to be silly at best.
    Your last statement is clearly the key here. He said nice things about Duke, and we can feel good about that. In terms of Duke versus Carolina, though, I feel like, in the first part of your post, you are holding a glass half empty while earlier posters are holding one half full. There is probably no reason to conclude that he preferred either school to the other based on the blog.

I had some serious downtime at work today and I've just been watching mixtapes of several of these guys. I have to say, Tyus Jones really impresses me. He would be the perfect successor to Quinn Cook at point guard. We would be in an amazing shape if we landed him and either Okafor or Pinson. Okafor looks like he's got really soft hands and uses his feet well. He's got great body control for such a big kid. Pinson looks REALLY good too. Crazy athletic, but he's got skill to back it up.

I'd love to get any of these guys, but I'm already in love with Tyus Jones' game. I hope if we get him if we can only land one of them. Hopefully the packaged deal of Jones and Okafor is more than just talk.

Here's my favorite Tyus mixtape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmyqJmuBStA

I LOVE that he has that mid range floater. That shot is sooooo important for a smaller guard to have, and he just seems to have a great feel for the game. Granted, it's a highlight tape, but scouting reports on him basically confirm his high level of basketball IQ.

On another note, I've also been watching tape on Andrew Wiggin, and I find it extremely difficult to believe that he and I are of the same species. That dude is from another planet.
    Last edited by licc85; 10-26-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    I had some serious downtime at work today and I've just been watching mixtapes of several of these guys. I have to say, Tyus Jones really impresses me. He would be the perfect successor to Quinn Cook at point guard. We would be in an amazing shape if we landed him and either Okafor or Pinson. Okafor looks like he's got really soft hands and uses his feet well. He's got great body control for such a big kid. Pinson looks REALLY good too. Crazy athletic, but he's got skill to back it up.

I'd love to get any of these guys, but I'm already in love with Tyus Jones' game. I hope if we get him if we can only land one of them. Hopefully the packaged deal of Jones and Okafor is more than just talk.

I LOVE that he has that mid range floater. That shot is sooooo important for a smaller guard to have, and he just seems to have a great feel for the game. Granted, it's a highlight tape, but scouting reports on him basically confirm his high level of basketball IQ.

On another note, I've also been watching tape on Andrew Wiggin, and I find it extremely difficult to believe that he and I are of the same species. That dude is from another planet.
    That mix tape actually reminds me a little of the mix tape of Irving when he was in high school. Jones seems slightly less explosive but seems to have similar body control and understanding of change of pace.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    That mix tape actually reminds me a little of the mix tape of Irving when he was in high school. Jones seems slightly less explosive but seems to have similar body control and understanding of change of pace.
    I like the way Jones uses his body and correct hand to put the ball away from defenders. He also has the running back tuck that Kyrie had. This guy has to be something else for him to be the #1 recruit by some publications at his height and without incredible jumping athleticism. He does appear to be smooth, smooth, smooth with great vision (I love one bounce bass he made in the video on the break to where the offensive player was going) with a great handle and in total control. I think he could use a some help from the coaching staff, Kyrie, Nolan, Austin, Quinn, Seth and Tyler to get to the next level though. I would love to see him at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post

Didn't feel that way in the slightest. Took his write-up to be very complimentary of Duke (more so than most).

And yes, extremely silly.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I'd guess you are comparing him to an end-of-senior year Kyrie. Let's remember that Tyus has two more years of high school ball left. Lots of impressive mix tapes to come. He may not be finished growing and undoubtedly will become more explosive over the next couple of years. He's going to be a stud, and the type of player that other guys (as Pinson, Okafor have attested) will enjoy playing with (like Quinn seemed to be during high school). The other thing is that I believe at the same stage in his high school career, Kyrie was playing nowhere near the level at which Tyus is playing (or at least if Kyrie was playing that well, scouts were not noticing).

One other thing about the EYBL. Tyus's numbers were ridiculous. In the Peach Jam (against the best competition), he averaged around 25 per game (shooting close to 66% from the field - just nuts for a PG), with 6-10 assists most games. This was on a team where he was the clear focal point - no other prospects I recognized.

That's all to say that he's pretty good at basketball.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Thank you jahlil

VERY interesting snippet from Jahlil

Jason Jordan ‏@JayJayUSATODAY
    Jahlil Okafor Blog teaser. "I hate when coaches say 'Dont go set screens at Duke.' I don't even get where people get that from. It's a lie."