Page 4 of 180 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleIrish View Post
    That is the most explosive 14 year old I've ever seen. Amazing, for his age; with that body and that explosiveness, he looks like a college player right NOW.

Very impressive.

s.i.
    Wiggins is not 14-years old. He's currently a member of the high school class of 2014, thinking about reclassifying to the class of 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleIrish View Post
    That is the most explosive 14 year old I've ever seen. Amazing, for his age; with that body and that explosiveness, he looks like a college player right NOW.

Very impressive.

s.i.
    He's in the high school class of '14, not 14 years old. He's 17 years old right now.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    He's in the high school class of '14, not 14 years old. ...
    That makes me feel worlds better about the '12 recruiting thread!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke would love to get Wiggins, although the maybe-reclass could make he and J. Parker redundant, or at least a pretty tough combo.

FSU is going to be tough to beat, although there are reports of Calipari and Wiggins making googly-eyes at each other.

BTW, if every recruit who was honored to play in front of K and/or honored to be recruited by K had actually signed on the dotted line, Duke would have about 30 guys on scholarship right now.
    Tough in the sense of "they will be leery of both going to the same college" or tough in the sense of "tough to start both?" I think of tall, agile, hard nosed defenders as able to play defense across a wide range of positions. The perfect example is obviously Battier with his college NDPOY as a 4 and is a fine NBA defender at the 2 (I assume anybody who can 'sort of' guard Kobe in the NBA could have more than handled the 2 guards of the college game. Lance Thomas is another who obviously could guard 2-4 ... even 1-4, and once his court awareness peaked as a senior he was a good defensive 4. A certain Grant Hill springs to mind too. Duke could have won a couple of more National titles if they had had some Hill clones playing together. I don't know exactly how they would work together on offense but it doesn't seem likely that that sort of firepower would create a problem.

... however, by 'tough combo' you may well have meant a "tough dang combo" ... in which case you were too subtle for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Listen to Quants View Post
    Tough in the sense of "they will be leery of both going to the same college" or tough in the sense of "tough to start both?" I think of tall, agile, hard nosed defenders as able to play defense across a wide range of positions. The perfect example is obviously Battier with his college NDPOY as a 4 and is a fine NBA defender at the 2 (I assume anybody who can 'sort of' guard Kobe in the NBA could have more than handled the 2 guards of the college game. Lance Thomas is another who obviously could guard 2-4 ... even 1-4, and once his court awareness peaked as a senior he was a good defensive 4. A certain Grant Hill springs to mind too. Duke could have won a couple of more National titles if they had had some Hill clones playing together. I don't know exactly how they would work together on offense but it doesn't seem likely that that sort of firepower would create a problem.

... however, by 'tough combo' you may well have meant a "tough dang combo" ... in which case you were too subtle for me.
    Wiggins and Jabari Parker could certainly play together. But their skill sets do overlap some. I'm not sure getting both in the same class is realistic.

Duke is likely on the outside looking in on Wiggins. J. Parker is a viable option, however, and I'm reasonably certain Duke will be a major player here. Michigan State could be Duke's toughest rival for Parker.

Tentative list of Duke Targets

Just trying to put together a tentative list of current Duke targets from the class of 2014, and having listed Wiggins in the 2013 thread on the assumption he re-classifies, this is what I've got. I'm sure there are a number of others too. Others with more knowledge than I have should of course feel free to supplement.

PG:
    Tyus Jones 6'0 171 out of Minnesota. Appears we're going real hard after this kid.
    JaQual Richmond 6'1" 170, out of North Carolina.

SG:
    Theo Pinson 6'6" 180, North Carolina. Been on him a long time already it seems like and he's just a rising junior!

SF:
    Wayne Seiden, 6'5" 200, Boston

Center:
    Jahlil Okafor 6'9" 270, Chicago. Everyone wants him.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Just trying to put together a tentative list of current Duke targets from the class of 2014, and having listed Wiggins in the 2013 thread on the assumption he re-classifies, this is what I've got. I'm sure there are a number of others too. Others with more knowledge than I have should of course feel free to supplement.

PG:
    Tyus Jones 6'0 171 out of Minnesota. Appears we're going real hard after this kid.

SG:
    Theo Pinson 6'6" 180, North Carolina. Been on him a long time already it seems like and he's just a rising junior!

SF:

Center:
    I want Tyus, Theo and of course Jahlil

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post

PG:

SG:

SF:

Center:
    For purposes of accuracy, Wayne Seiden is actually Wayne Selden.

Hmmm

Is he related to Selden Williams?

I think Wayne Selden should come to Duke, because the fanbase has lots of experience with misspelling (or mispelling) players' names.

Wiggins is not 14-years old. He's currently a member of the high school class of 2014, thinking about reclassifying to the class of 2013.
    woops! Thanks for the correction(s). I suppose he's still reasonably good for a 17 year old

s.i.

Any relation to Hari Seldon?

He had a solid Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Any relation to Hari Seldon?

He had a solid Foundation.
    Where else but DBR do we get an Isaac Asimov reference on a recruiting thread?

Well in all fairness, Andrew Wiggin is pretty big in scifi circles himself...

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevil4life View Post
    ...and it would be fitting that we're mistaking the skills of a 17-year old for the skills of a 14-year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    ...and it would be fitting that we're mistaking the skills of a 17-year old for the skills of a 14-year old.
    Not that I don't deserve the scorn, humorously given, of that I have no doubt, but my mistake was at least given in praise of his skills. I did state that he would be the most advanced 14 year old I've ever seen. Of course, if he signs with UCLA, I'll say he peaked at 13 and was downhill ever since...

s.i.

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil4life View Post
    And I assume he's wicked with his end game?

s.i.

Tyus Jones Highlights

A little Tyus Jones action

Really nice looking prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    A little Tyus Jones action

Really nice looking prospect.
    Thanks; some very impressive action.
    His creative passing reminded me of Bobby Hurley; the drives reminded me some of Kyrie.
    These are highlights and the comparisons are probably not fair, but a pretty good first impression.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    His creative passing reminded me of Bobby Hurley; the drives reminded me some of Kyrie.
    These are highlights and the comparisons are probably not fair, but a pretty good first impression.

Yeah, he is pretty legit. I doubt anyone would confuse Minnesota with Chicago, Indiana, NY, etc in terms of quantity of talent but it sounds like he is doing pretty well in the national tournaments.

It would be nice if my state could produce something a bit more than Nick Horvath (a limited bench player) or Kris Humphries (well kind of, I think Duke was much better off he didn't step foot on campus). The saving grace is 2 of our titles came within our state lines, however unless they build the Vikings a dome stadium our hosting of the Final Four run is all but over.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Maybe it was the bevy of floaters in the highlight reel, but his drives reminded me a lot of Austin's style of play.