Page 2 of 180 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    I got letters as a sophomore and made a few visits even, in the early 90s for a DEFINITELY-not-basketball-or-football-level-sport.

And yeah, while Duke always recruits at a high level, this is something else. To not just be IN play, but in SUCH a good spot for the top guys (and a few just under that) is pretty rare.

2014 PG JaQuel Richmond visiting Duke

Apparently, 2014 PG JaQuel Richmond is going to visit Duke on October 14th for Countdown2Craziness. Don't know much about him and it's obviously still very early, but I like this quote:

5. Do you have a player (at any level, college or pro) that you admire?

I would have to say I admire Kyrie Irving because we both have that killer instict [sic] during the entire game and we can get to the basket with no problem.
    http://www.basketballelite.com/index...quel-richmond/

He says he's already been offered by Georgetown, Wake, UVa, and Va Tech, among others.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/09/2...up-duke-offer/ Duke offers Jahlil Okafor, a 6-9 center that playes with Jabari Parker.

Parker plays at Simeon or did he transfer to Whitney Young?

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisdukie View Post
    Parker plays at Simeon or did he transfer to Whitney Young?
    My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/09/2...up-duke-offer/ Duke offers Jahlil Okafor, a 6-9 center that playes with Jabari Parker.
    He's the #1 center in his class and sounds like more of a Shelden Williams, back-to-the-basket type.

You can't teach size

...and he's growing like kudzu - 6'9" in the first paragraph, already 6'10" by the second paragraph, and only 15yo. Truly impressive

No Watzone you were right. I see they play on the same AAU team.

Thanks for the information watzone. Also, for those who are unaware, Whitney Young is a very selective (academically) magnet school in Chicago, so that is a good sign that Okafor likely is a good student and academics shouldn't be a concern. I would think that is one of the reasons Coach K is comfortable offering the sophomore this early.

@5starbasketball

Per Chuck Okafor, Coach K said: "Jahlil (Okafor) is special. The best big man I've seen in any class. I want him right now."

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    @5starbasketball

Per Chuck Okafor, Coach K said: "Jahlil (Okafor) is special. The best big man I've seen in any class. I want him right now."
    Best in any class ever? Or best in any current high school class? Because those would be two very different statements. Either way, he's a very exciting prospect.

No problem sharing info with DBR folks. This place was the first Duke Basketball site around and has stood the test of time. As for the blurb on Okafor in the article, that information was gathered by Andrew Slater, my sidekick recruiting analyst. Andrew has vast knowledge of the AAU circuit and it shows when he shares details on kids you just don't see our there. The bit on Okafor was actually a lead in to an interview a month back. I just felt like it shed a lot of light on the young man, so I included it.

Nice little video of Okafor talking about K and his recent visit:

http://fivestarbasketball.com/videos...-in-for-okafor

@BBaptistHoops

2014 prizes Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones a package deal? They're looking at Arizona, Duke, Michigan State and #Buckeyes.

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    @BBaptistHoops

2014 prizes Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones a package deal? They're looking at Arizona, Duke, Michigan State and #Buckeyes.
    Who is BBaptistHoops? Any background?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Who is BBaptistHoops? Any background?
    Does it matter? This will be worthy of discussion only if people still think they might be a package deal in two years. Sixteen year olds often say things that end up being untrue, and they also change their minds a lot. And in this case, the two boys probably didn't even say it.

Perhaps Mr. Baptist got his info from this C2C interview

"C2C: We hear you are pretty good friends with 2014 center Jahlil Okafor.
    Jones: Yeah we're really good friends and we're pretty close. We're going to go to college together too."

Regardless, I agree with the above, this doesn't mean anything

I went to watch Wesleyan Christian, the school that Theo Pinson and JaQuel Richmond attend, play last night and none other than our own Coach Capel was sitting in the first row of the bleachers. Not sure if he did much other than watch the game, but he did briefly speak with the Wesleyan coach, Keith Gatlin, after the game.

Regardless, I was not impressed with the effort or intensity of these two kids. Wesleyan won in overtime, thanks only to Montay Brandon, an FSU commit who had 36 of their 80 points, and Theo look disinterested for the vast majority of the game. JaQuel played a bit harder than Theo, but still didn't make much of an impact on the game against a team they should've beat by 15-20. He even airballed a free throw with 25 seconds left in regulation and his team up 3. The final boxscore had Pinson with 8 and Richmond with 11.

They're definitely kids to keep our eyes on, but they still have a long way to go.

Okafor

Mr. Okafor apparently on campus - any details?

@jahprobound
    Jahlil Okafor
    On my way to visit Duke.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

Front page article on Okafor

In case you missed it:

http://fivestarbasketball.com/commit...d-by-4-schools

Favorite line:

"Duke ... They are known for having shooters," Okafor said. "That just opens me up in the post, so I won't have to deal with double and triple teams."
    But...we don't recruit...post players...Why isn't this young man spitting the normal high school recruiting rhetoric about Duke?!?!?!? I am concerned he doesn't buy enough of the false claims!! (/sarcasm, right?)