Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2014 Basketball Recruiting thread

I know it's very early to be talking about this but the top freshman in the nation will be visiting Duke today...Theo Pinson...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ing/onthetrail

Ok, here is the table for the 2014 recruits. Info is for various Duke sources on Twitter, along with Rivals and ESPN. The current rankings shown are from Rivals. (I will change that to RSCI once available in June of 2013)

Code:
    Position        Name             Measurements        Stars   "Overall Rank (247Sports.com)"     Offer?           Comments
    PG               Tyus Jones        6'1, 171lbs             5                        5                               Signed        Excellent passer. Makes others better. Unique player
    PF/C            Jahlil Okafor      6'10, 280lbs           5                        1                                Signed       Great around the rim, great hands and footwork
    G                Grayson Allen    6'4, 189                 5                       31                               Signed       Very Athletic/Lengthy kid with good jumper, and good handle
    SF              Justise Winslow  6'6, 210lbs             5                       13                               Signed       Super athletic lefty small forward, highly skilled, good defender
    C                Myles Turner      6'10, 223 5            5                        4                                Yes           Lengthy, Athletic, good shooter
    Last edited by Newton_14; 03-01-2014 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Added a table with the list of Duke Recruits

Starting early, can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by jnastasi View Post
    I know it's very early to be talking about this but the top freshman in the nation will be visiting Duke today...Theo Pinson...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ing/onthetrail
    WOW! Seeing 2014, and thinking that is along ways off. It is not! Recruitment starts so much earlier now, than a few years ago. AAU teams and social media (FB, Twitter) really push the recruitment process up. Have to reach out to these kids earlier!

Never to early to recruit! Thanks for the updates and DBR keeps us in the loop of all things, DUKE!!

Are we talking freshmen in high school???

Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post
    In a few days they'll be rising sophmores ...

Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post
    Yeah, doesn't it make you feel a little dirty?

Wasn't this around the time that Demarcus Nelson committed to Duke? Right between his freshman and soph seasons of high school. That one worked out ok, and Markie wasn't nearly the prospect that Pinson is.

-Jason "my bet is that this is a long-term process for Pinson" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Just an FYI, Theo is a lifelong Duke fan. And just so happens to be a very good basketball player...

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Just an FYI, Theo is a lifelong Duke fan. And just so happens to be a very good basketball player...
    Am I missing some irony here? Wouldn't being a good player go hand in hand with being rated number 1?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wasn't this around the time that Demarcus Nelson committed to Duke?
    Nope, you are off by 12 months. DeMarcus Nelson committed to Duke in May 2002 toward the end of his sophomore year of high school.
    Bob Green

DBR Summertime!

Making me think so far into the future that my head hurts...lemme get past breakfast tomorrow first :P
    1200. DDMF.

So we have high interest from:

2012 #1 Andre Drummond

2013 #1 Julius Randle

2014 #1 Theo Pindle

after having enrolled:

2011 #1 Austin Rivers

2010 #1 Kyrie Irving (yes, in retrospect, but clear cut).

If he can keep this up, I think Coach K could turn out to be a pretty good coach!

What does one talk to a rising sophmore about?

Hey, buddy you're going to hit puberty soon. You'll notice some changes in your voice and your apetite will double. Hang in there!

Or maybe you talk about how cool it is when you get your license in a year!

I just hope this kid does not get burnt out from too much too young.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    What does one talk to a rising sophmore about?

Hey, buddy you're going to hit puberty soon. You'll notice some changes in your voice and your apetite will double. Hang in there!

Or maybe you talk about how cool it is when you get your license in a year!

I just hope this kid does not get burnt out from too much too young.
    The sad part is (although I don't really think it is sad), this is the reality, and it was the reality 15 years ago when I was being recruited in high school to play women's ball in college. I started receiving letters during freshman year and the recruiting process gets pretty hot and heavy during the sophomore year.

Honestly, though, the recruiting process is lengthy, and some kids need that time to figure out what they are truly looking for in a school/program and to weigh their options. Others get tired of the process and commit early to be done with the constant phone calls. I do like the restrictions for the contact period so it's not as draining on the kids (although I must admit, I'm out of the recruiting process loop after graduating in '01).

Seeing a "2014 recruiting thread" doesn't bother me - it's part of the process, but I'm not going to get all pumped up about a possible recruit that's a freshman in high school - a LOT changes in 3-4 years.

Jay Williams has good things to say about Theo Pinson on his twitter

I got letters as a sophomore and made a few visits even, in the early 90s for a DEFINITELY-not-basketball-or-football-level-sport.

And yeah, while Duke always recruits at a high level, this is something else. To not just be IN play, but in SUCH a good spot for the top guys (and a few just under that) is pretty rare.

2014 PG JaQuel Richmond visiting Duke

Apparently, 2014 PG JaQuel Richmond is going to visit Duke on October 14th for Countdown2Craziness. Don't know much about him and it's obviously still very early, but I like this quote:

5. Do you have a player (at any level, college or pro) that you admire?

I would have to say I admire Kyrie Irving because we both have that killer instict [sic] during the entire game and we can get to the basket with no problem.
    http://www.basketballelite.com/index...quel-richmond/

He says he's already been offered by Georgetown, Wake, UVa, and Va Tech, among others.

Stanley Johnson Interview

http://www.givengobasketball.com/sta...ohnson-article

Stanley Johnson is a big Duke Recruit. If you have any questions about him let me know. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GiveNGoBasketball View Post

If you have any questions about him let me know.
    How big of a challenge will it be to lure Johnson away from the West Coast?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    How big of a challenge will it be to lure Johnson away from the West Coast?
    Not as hard as you think. If Duke pursues this kid enough we could see him on the east coast. Will it be a challenge yes, but if anyone can do it, it's Duke.