Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Alex Murphy Enrolls Early!

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    Thats great news, he is an excellent addition to already talented group.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
    Thats great news, he is an excellent addition to already talented group.
    It will be an interesting team. I feel like we almost have too much talent! If I were DeAndre this would dissuade me from attending Duke but I, personally, would rather have Alex a year early.

wooooooooooooooooooow

Interesting. For those in the know: what, if any, impact do you think this has on the recruitment of Daniels, and on the rotation for next year?

In other words, where does Murphy rate in terms of readiness to play the SF position in college right now compared to, say, Daniels, Gbinije, or Dawkins?

It was my uneducated guess that Dawkins would be the frontrunner and that any of the freshmen would be chasing him for the starting spot. But we now have two freshmen who are bigger than him challenging for a spot, and possibly even a third (depending on Daniels).

Thats absolutely wonderful! Alex will have the lifetime opportunity to travel with the Duke team and staff to China and Dubai.

As Ric Flair says "WWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"!

Welcome Alex to Duke. Enjoy your 4 year journey! Welcome

Hm, I'm thinking Daniels delayed his decision because of this situation. However, I'm glad to have a guy at that position for sure, rather than waiting on Daniels to make up his mind. Only question is: can Alex Murphy play the 3? I hope to God he can. We need someone with his size and shooting ability at that position.

Let's hope this doesn't dissuade Daniels. It's not like we didn't have Murphy coming anyway and had to pick between the two. I'd like to think that despite a very crowded 2/3 situation, Daniels (and Murphy) realize they can see both potentially see minutes as multitalented, non-traditional power forwards, given their height.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreechTDX1847 View Post
    It will be an interesting team. I feel like we almost have too much talent! If I were DeAndre this would dissuade me from attending Duke but I, personally, would rather have Alex a year early.
    It has been speculated and seems likely to me that Alex may redshirt. Not sure what the posters have heard

To me, the only donwside to Alex coming a year early is that Duke haters will once again try to say that Coach K is being selfish in encouraging this kid to come a year early and miss out on his Senior year.

But then again, it doesn't matter what they think...There is no downside to this. I think it's great news!! And it will only make next year's practices more competitive and the team better overall. For all this talk about KY and UNC, I think Duke is "quietly" loading up; and the trip to China and Dubai will give the coaching staff an early look at the time which will give them a headstart towards molding this team into a potential powerhouse team IMO if the players develop accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    To me, the only donwside to Alex coming a year early is that Duke haters will once again try to say that Coach K is being selfish in encouraging this kid to come a year early and miss out on his Senior year.

But then again, it doesn't matter what they think...There is no downside to this. I think it's great news!! And it will only make next year's practices more competitive and the team better overall. For all this talk about KY and UNC, I think Duke is "quietly" loading up; and the trip to China and Dubai will give the coaching staff an early look at the time which will give them a headstart towards molding this team into a potential powerhouse team IMO if the players develop accordingly.
    Alex has already spent 4 years in high school. I looked for his age online, but could not find it. I suspect he is already 18. This was his desire, not Coach K's.

If the decision by Alex in any way agitates the Duke haters, then that's just another positive!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Let's hope this doesn't dissuade Daniels. It's not like we didn't have Murphy coming anyway and had to pick between the two. I'd like to think that despite a very crowded 2/3 situation, Daniels (and Murphy) realize they can see both potentially see minutes as multitalented, non-traditional power forwards, given their height.
    DeAndre's decision wasn't impacted by his knowledge of Alex coming in early.

Versatility is the word for 2012...

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Alex has already spent 4 years in high school. I looked for his age online, but could not find it. I suspect he is already 18. This was his desire, not Coach K's.
    I agree with you; but you know unfortunately that there will still be some people who will say the opposite. But at this point, who cares....It's great to have another kid that wanted to come to Duke early...

Sure. And it'll be like when Jason Williams chose to stay for his junior year and we were treating to scores of UNC fans droning on about how Saint Dean Smith had to almost force Jordan to leave college and turn pro early because Jordan wanted to stay, but Deano had his players' best interests in mind, yadda yadda yadda. If it's anything like that time, they'll all suddenly forget when one of their own chooses to make the same decision.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

You have written that in the past tense, as if the decision has already been made. I can only presume that was intentional, yes?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Haha -- I was sort of hoping you'd chime in here. Consider my post before to be like a Bat signal.

I know i'm getting way ahead of myself and I don't want to derail this thread; but this team has the potential IMO of being as versatile as the Duke teams of the early 90's when you had interchangeable players that could guard and play multiple positions in Grant and Thomas Hill, Brian Davis and Antonio Lang. Even Christian could play 2 positions as either the 4 or the 5. I'm not saying the 2011-2012 team will be as talented but on paper this upcoming team will potentially have just as many interchangeable and versatile/multi-positional players.

Wink

So is there a clue in there Dan Brown

Great news... Anyone know how many scholarships we have left? Have to imagine we are close to max capacity.