Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Maryland Head Coach - Mark Turgeon

Ok, let's speculate, as our fearless leader states below....good list!

"These are from different sites and sources and none have any credibility yet. But they have been brought up, so let the speculation roll!"

•Mike Brey, Notre Dame
    •Sean Miller, Arizona
    •Jay Wright, Villanova
    •Rick Barnes, Texas
    •Keith Booth, Maryland assistant
    •Bino Ranson, Maryland assistant
    •Mike Lonergan, Vermont
    •Jeff Jones, American
    •Jimmy Patsos, Loyola
    •Shaka Smart, VCU

Don't know immediately who I would add to this list. Smart and Brey stand out for me.

A name that won't get a mention due to no head coaching experience, but a class act Maryland grad, ACC Legend, DeMatha product, and would be phenomenal with the prospective recruits and families would be ESPN Analyst, Adrian Branch.

Who else might be the right guy at the right time for the Terps?

Interesting the similarities between the proposed UMd list and the speculations about the NCSU candidates. If this is an accurate list of the names Maryland is considering, either Maryland is going to experience some of the same disappointment the NC State fans had as the big names on the list turn them down, or the NC State fans are going to get a slap in the face if Maryland manages to bag a guy like Miller, Jay Wright, Mike Brey, or Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Interesting the similarities between the proposed UMd list and the speculations about the NCSU candidates. If this is an accurate list of the names Maryland is considering, either Maryland is going to experience some of the same disappointment the NC State fans had as the big names on the list turn them down, or the NC State fans are going to get a slap in the face if Maryland manages to bag a guy like Miller, Jay Wright, Mike Brey, or Smart.
    I think, though, maryland is MUCH more valuable of a position than NCST. For one, you're not competing so close to Duke/UNC...you have a group of fans that are as born and bred as kentucky fans are. The school has had success MUCH more recently than NCST has, AND you don't have to deal with Debbie Yow. There are a lot of coaches who would die for fans as passionate (though not necessarily as vulgar) as UMD fans.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I think, though, maryland is MUCH more valuable of a position than NCST. For one, you're not competing so close to Duke/UNC...you have a group of fans that are as born and bred as kentucky fans are.
    Have you ever lived anywhere near College Park? This isn't even remotely true. The students are beyond fickle, and the area isn't even a little interested in college sports. The most popular sport in the DC area is Redskins football. The second-most popular sport in the DC area is complaining about Redskins football. The third-most popular sport in the DC area is blind Redskins homerism, and the fourth-most popular sport in the area is complaining about the fact that the region is obsessed with the Redskins.

Maryland fans get excited about playing Duke and burning things. The other thirty-odd games on the Maryland schedule don't hold nearly as much interest for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Have you ever lived anywhere near College Park?
    I'll admit, I have not. Closest I get is driving through on 495. Most of my experience comes from having several friends at the school. It's quite likely, though, that I may get a biased opinion (much like one would get assuming every duke fan was as dedicated as the members of this board, or every UNC fan as whatever as the fans on IC). Thanks for letting me know about the culture.
    1200. DDMF.

Have you ever lived anywhere near College Park? This isn't even remotely true. The students are beyond fickle, and the area isn't even a little interested in college sports. The most popular sport in the DC area is Redskins football. The second-most popular sport in the DC area is complaining about Redskins football. The third-most popular sport in the DC area is blind Redskins homerism, and the fourth-most popular sport in the area is complaining about the fact that the region is obsessed with the Redskins.

Maryland fans get excited about playing Duke and burning things. The other thirty-odd games on the Maryland schedule don't hold nearly as much interest for them.
    As a DC native, I can attest to #1 and #2 on that list, but #3 is the Capitals, and #4... complaining about how much every DC sports team sucks.

Maryland is a more attractive job than State for a lot of reasons. For one, it's right in a recruitment hotbed that Gary didn't tap into. For another, big alumni base who is focused on the sport. They have the Under Armour deal which is a nice perk. And most importantly, they have a rabid fanbase who is less fairweather than you make them out to be. Their students can be fickle at times, and all they want to do is riot and cheer "**** Duke", but the alumni are not fickle, and there are a lot of Maryland fans in the area, fairweather or not. Maryland is, in so many ways, a far superior program to State to take over. Someone on Twitter said top 10, and that's not too farfetched, honestly. I mean, the players don't even have to worry about trying to graduate when they play there.

I think Maryland is a Top 25 Job

Best programs in college basketball -- i.e., better than Maryland:

Big Ten
    Indiana (for now)
    Mich State
    Ohio State (altho' Gary left OSU to come to UMd)
    Michigan
    Purdue -- well, maybe

Big 12
    Kansas
    Texas

Big East
    UConn
    Syracuse
    St. John's (history)
    Louisville

PAC-10
    UCLA
    Arizona

Southeastern
    Kentucky
    Florida

ACC
    Duke
    UNC

Let's see... Sagegrouse has listed 17 programs more attractive than Maryland as a head coaching position.

I guess there are another set approximately equal, including Georgetown (as a 40-year resident of DC area -- definitely not superior), Illinois, Wisconsin, Tennessee (on potential), Mizzou, Pitt, Notre Dame and Nova. So, waiting for others to correct omissions and elisions, I get Maryland as a borderline Top 15 program and definitely one for the Top 25.

It's the number three job in the ACC with GT and Virginia, both experiencing a down decade, potentially the equal. Wake gets good points but gets penalized for being in W-S below other No Carolina programs. Maryland gets a huge number of points for being the most prominent college athletic program in the 8-million Washington-Baltimore region, but these points would be x5 if both football and basketball were recongized national programs.

Yeah, I know about the Redskins, having been a fan since Eddie Lebaron played QB here. But the DC area is not as one-sided a pro sports town as NY, Boston or Philly. Much, much more interest in this area about UMd than in Boston about the BC Eagles.

sagegrouse
    'I owe you guys a report on this year's lek activity, which resulted in my being on the injured reserve for most of mating season. Next time...'

How about Matt Kovarik? A popular player in the glory years of the early 2000's, he's now an assistant to Patsos. Would be quite a gamble considering how unproven he is, but fans might be willing to cut him some slack for the first couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Much, much more interest in this area about UMd than in Boston about the BC Eagles.
    minipoint: not a great comparison since BC is not a state school, and nowhere near as large as MD (and not, in fact, in boston...also not a college interestingly enough)...maryland is twice as big and the state university, and also not highly religiously affiliated (BC is not only catholic, but a jesuit institution), Boston University falls short also as its not really in a power conference

a much better comparison would be rutgers (given its the jersey school...but the jets and giants are jersey teams too...shrug), which is a similarly sized state institution in the near vicinity to a major metropolitan area...people in new york really couldn't care less about rutgers basketball....
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Let's see... Sagegrouse has listed 17 programs more attractive than Maryland as a head coaching position....'
    But, but, but ... sage ... I heard the editor of the Terrapin Times on the radio this evening and he said Maryland is one of the top 8 to 10 jobs in the land and he also said that Sean Miller, Jaime Dixon, and somebody else (maybe Brey) would be be very interested in the job, and then maybe they'd look down a level to the Jay Wrights of the world, and I'm pretty sure he also said that if Sean Miller were offered the job, Sean would be on the next plane east tonight to accept (even though he also said Sean has a chance to win a national championship next year in Ariz). I'm pretty sure that's what he said. I kept thinking maybe I mis-heard or something it was so much seeming bluster. Maybe I did mis-hear, but I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    How about Matt Kovarik? A popular player in the glory years of the early 2000's, he's now an assistant to Patsos. Would be quite a gamble considering how unproven he is, but fans might be willing to cut him some slack for the first couple years.
    They could go for Greg Manning's son, who is also a Patsos assistant (and about 23 I think). Manning is/was my favorite Maryland player ever. Manning was also the AD at Ga State who hired Lefty, I believe, so talk about a full circle ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    ...Maybe I did mis-hear, but I don't think so.

Oh well then, if the editor of the Terrapin Times says so...

Any thought given to Anthony Grant returning north?

Lonergan (a very good coach) to GW, so cross him off the list. Good hire for GW
    http://www.csnwashington.com/05/05/1...99&feedID=9656

I doubt any of the big names on the list make a lateral move to UMd with the exception of Brey - he has strong local ties and I would imagine he would give it pretty serious consideration if offered. Not sure if Maryland could offer someone who worked at Duke though. (however in the realm of insane sports radio, I heard someone mention Amaker for the Terps job on my way home tonight, would think that to be very unlikely)

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    But, but, but ... sage ... I heard the editor of the Terrapin Times on the radio this evening and he said Maryland is one of the top 8 to 10 jobs in the land and he also said that Sean Miller, Jaime Dixon, and somebody else (maybe Brey) would be be very interested in the job, and then maybe they'd look down a level to the Jay Wrights of the world, and I'm pretty sure he also said that if Sean Miller were offered the job, Sean would be on the next plane east tonight to accept (even though he also said Sean has a chance to win a national championship next year in Ariz). I'm pretty sure that's what he said. I kept thinking maybe I mis-heard or something it was so much seeming bluster. Maybe I did mis-hear, but I don't think so.
    Unfortunately, I think that the chances of miller, dixon, or brey leaving their respective schools for maryland are exactly 0%. While I think the consensus is that this job is at least a notch above the NCST job, but to think that it's highly desirable like Duke or UNC would be is silly. The aforementioned coaches all have great things going at their respective schools, I can't picture any of them leaving for maryland (can you believe debbie yow flattered herself to think they would leave for ncst?????)
    1200. DDMF.

Maryland is better than

After Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and UCLA, I think Maryland has everything to be as good as every other school.

The best part of the job is obviously the ridiculously good recruiting base that ironic Gary Williams didn't use. If they did they would be a lot better.

To me there are 2 guys they should go after:
    1. Sean Miller- he obviously is a good recruiter and coach. I really like his competitive edge. It kind of reminds me of Williams. Arizona and Maryland I think are comparable jobs, it would be a question of preference.(and there is speculation that he doesn't like living in Arizona(which I completely understand being from california haha))
    2. Jamie Dixon- Maryland in my opinion is a much much better job than Pitt. I just can't see anyone ever winning a championship there. Dixon is a great coach who would probably thrive in Maryland.

Also how many teams play in one of the top 5 rivalry games every year. Wilbon went so far as to call it the best,( though it obviously isn't Duke-UNC.)

No coach with strong ties to Nike will be seriously considered. Maryland athletics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Under Armour.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Lonergan (a very good coach) to GW, so cross him off the list. Good hire for GW
    http://www.csnwashington.com/05/05/1...99&feedID=9656

I doubt any of the big names on the list make a lateral move to UMd with the exception of Brey - he has strong local ties and I would imagine he would give it pretty serious consideration if offered. Not sure if Maryland could offer someone who worked at Duke though. (however in the realm of insane sports radio, I heard someone mention Amaker for the Terps job on my way home tonight, would think that to be very unlikely)
    Indeed, Lonergan is a fantastic coach, but it looks like he's off to GW. He's a former Sweaty assistant at Merlin, and would be a really inspired choice. And he's pretty young (45)...Personally I think he's the best of the bunch mentioned, but he doesn't have a lot of snob appeal (nor did Army's coach some 30 years ago).

Maryland's DC location would have been a better advantage 2-3 decades ago, but recruiting became a national game over the last 20 years. Kids move to play at basketball factories, play on nationally competing AAU teams, go from region to region for basketball camps and tournaments, and the coaches of most any BCS program have the resources and desire to go all across the nation to get talent. Top talent kids from DC simply aren't particularly inclined to stay in DC when Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and the like come calling. Frankly, I can't see how Maryland is in the top tier of desirable coaching positions. Granted, it's in one of the best conferences and the athletic department has resources and the desire to support the program. But it's strictly a middle tier program in the ACC (albeit with brief runs of top tier success), and it's simply not a national name brand. Maryland is Purdue, without as much recent success. If the Maryland fanbase, blog sites, etc, are thinking that a guy like Sean Miller is coming, and that Jay Wright will be there as a safety, my bet is they're going to be disappointed.

If Maryland hired Mike Brey - would they riot after every game?

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    As a DC native, I can attest to #1 and #2 on that list, but #3 is the Capitals, and #4... complaining about how much every DC sports team sucks.

Maryland is a more attractive job than State for a lot of reasons. For one, it's right in a recruitment hotbed that Gary didn't tap into.
    This is always overstated. Recruitment these days is national, and while it helps slightly if you have a recruit that is in your hometown, it's not a huge advantage over the other schools you would recruit against like UK, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc.

For another, big alumni base who is focused on the sport.
    UMD doesn't have any advantage here...NC State is approximately the same size and both have the largest alumni base in their respective states.

And most importantly, they have a rabid fanbase who is less fairweather than you make them out to be. Their students can be fickle at times, and all they want to do is riot and cheer "**** Duke", but the alumni are not fickle, and there are a lot of Maryland fans in the area, fairweather or not.
    You could definitely take out Maryland in this entire paragraph and replace NC State. Both school have rabid fanbases.

I'd say UMD has a slight edge based on it's more recent success, but even that is starting to lose it's effect. Not that much of a difference in job prestige if you ask me.