Gerald Henderson to have hip surgery

Gerald Henderson needs surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left hip. Will have it as soon as today.

http://twitter.com/#!/mikecranston1/...90909790334976

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    Gerald Henderson needs surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left hip. Will have it as soon as today.

http://twitter.com/#!/mikecranston1/...90909790334976

Here's to a speedy recovery!
    Any medical professionals got any insight on risks and recovery?

My prayers for a full and rapid recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Not a doctor but many big time athletes have had this surgery. I think most noteable of late is Alex Rodriguez who recovered and is playing at a HiGH level.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    Not a doctor but many big time athletes have had this surgery. I think most noteable of late is Alex Rodriguez who recovered and is playing at a HiGH level.
    ARod had some minor surgery last spring and delayed the major surgery until after the season. Turned out he healed well enough that he didn't need any further surgical repair, i.e., the major repair surgery.

ARod aside, best wishes and vibes to G for a full and speedy recovery!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I've had both hips scoped for labral tears. Memo to self, no more marathons, but I digress.

My first hip scope was done at West Point when I was active duty Air Force. The surgeon, an Army orthopod named Dr Dean Taylor, now at Duke, was fantastic. I can't put into words the relief of knowing the labrum was torn, thus, the reason for the pain. Second, the pleasure of running pain free was almost as enjoyable as watching Duke spank UNC in anything sport.

Go for it Gerald, and if available, get Dr Dean Taylor to do the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    I've had both hips scoped for labral tears. Memo to self, no more marathons, but I digress.

My first hip scope was done at West Point when I was active duty Air Force. The surgeon, an Army orthopod named Dr Dean Taylor, now at Duke, was fantastic. I can't put into words the relief of knowing the labrum was torn, thus, the reason for the pain. Second, the pleasure of running pain free was almost as enjoyable as watching Duke spank UNC in anything sport.

Go for it Gerald, and if available, get Dr Dean Taylor to do the procedure.
    Speaking as a medical student, Dr. Dean Taylor is considered one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the country. Definitely can't go wrong with him.

Get better G!

The front page blurb mentions "chronic knee pain" which doesn't sound good to me for a young 6'4 guard who relies heavily on athletism. Interesting too that he's having hip surgery to correct it.

Hip scopes + Colorado almost certainly mean this guy: http://thesteadmanclinic.com/dr-marc-philippon.asp . Did A-Rod's surgery, probably the most famous hip arthroscopist in the business (similar to Bob Anderson in Charlotte for Kyrie).

The rehab/recovery time-frame depends on whether the scope is a labral repair (sewing the tissue back to the bone) or labral debridement (trimming the torn part). Which is done depends on the type and location of the tear.

Talking Sage Grouse Went to Steadman

Quote Originally Posted by billy View Post
    Hip scopes + Colorado almost certainly mean this guy: http://thesteadmanclinic.com/dr-marc-philippon.asp . Did A-Rod's surgery, probably the most famous hip arthroscopist in the business (similar to Bob Anderson in Charlotte for Kyrie).

The rehab/recovery time-frame depends on whether the scope is a labral repair (sewing the tissue back to the bone) or labral debridement (trimming the torn part). Which is done depends on the type and location of the tear.
    I had left wing (er, shoulder and biceps) surgery at the Steadman Clinic in Vail two weeks ago. I didn't have Philippon, but he has an excellent rep -- I rode the van with someone coming to work with him for a few weeks. They do a lot of high-profile orthopedic surgery cases, judging by the signed posters of skiers and ballplayers lining the wall, including our own Mike Dunleavy.

I had a good experience there -- very professional and attentive -- and survived the procedure fine. Whether my left wing regains full functionality -- well, we'll know in 4-6 months.

sagerouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I had left wing (er, shoulder and biceps) surgery at the Steadman Clinic in Vail two weeks ago. I didn't have Philippon, but he has an excellent rep -- I rode the van with someone coming to work with him for a few weeks. They do a lot of high-profile orthopedic surgery cases, judging by the signed posters of skiers and ballplayers lining the wall, including our own Mike Dunleavy.

I had a good experience there -- very professional and attentive -- and survived the procedure fine. Whether my left wing regains full functionality -- well, we'll know in 4-6 months.

sagerouse
    Be careful, big fella. Them Grouse can get real mean when you walk up on them. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

sagerouse
    Take it nice and slow, sagegrouse. I had the same surgery as you in 2008 (and rotator cuff/labrum tear surgery 12 months prior) and only in the last few months or so do I feel back to 99% - still some pain after pushups and throwing a ball too hard. Good luck with the recovery.

Wink Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Take it nice and slow, sagegrouse. I had the same surgery as you in 2008 (and rotator cuff/labrum tear surgery 12 months prior) and only in the last few months or so do I feel back to 99% - still some pain after pushups and throwing a ball too hard. Good luck with the recovery.
    Good advice, and I'll try to follow it. But one question. Push ups? You have a doctor that lets you do push-ups? I gave those up a few years ago, along with lifting (not very heavy) weights above my head. (Supine or semireclined is OK).

I want to be able to put my carry-on in the overhead using both arms, to lift my arms overhead without pain, to ski normally, and to smack a golf ball in a straight line (which, of course, would be a great improvement over past performance).

sagegrouse

sagegrouse,

I had gained 40-50 pounds in the few years leading up to and after my surgeries and started working with a trainer at my gym to lose the weight. He is a former PT assistant, so we took it nice and slowly on both shoulders. Pushups and overhead exercises were a nono for a long, long time. I still watch it on the overhead stuff. Pushups now are no problem if I limit the set and rest inbetween and really are only a problem if he has me do them using kettle bells or dumbells - my shoulder will hurt for a week after those! I also started swimming for triathlon training which has helped tremendously, but I can't overdo that either. Golf swing will be no problem once you get flexibility back. I'm probably not the typical case because I did not take baby steps and have a very overused shoulder from tennis and softball.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Speaking as a medical student, Dr. Dean Taylor is considered one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the country. Definitely can't go wrong with him.

Get better G!
    Speaking as a former knee patient of Dr. Dean Taylor, Dr. Taylor is great at what he does and hopefully G uses him. If you have ever been to a Duke game you have seen Dr. Taylor, who is in a suit sitting in the player family section and who often walks a bit behind the rest of the suits.

Hendo

Easily my top 2 Dukie NBA player. I love his game and it reminds me a lot of Anthony Parker but wish significantly more upside and athleticism. Hendo is a great defender and his offense is getting a lot better. Not to sell Hendo short, but I see him as an amazing second banana on a perennial play-off team (see Deng this year): second/third option on offense, first option on defense.

His main problem - he's on the Bobcats. Not that I have anything against them, but their front office is terrible (how do you sell your top player for 50 cents on the dollar?).

Best of luck to Hendo on his surgery. Get well soon and challenge Deng for the top Dukie in the NBA next year!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club