Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quinn Cook

Quinn Cook

Where do you guys see him fitting in next year? I've seen Cook play a lot of AAU ball and I think he's going to be a fantastic college point guard under Coach K's tutelage.

I see him fighting tyler to be curry's backup.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post
    I see him fighting tyler to be curry's backup.
    Me too. He has the potential to be a starter at some point in his career. But early on it will be a lot of hard lessons in practice and possibly 10 minutes a game if he earns it.

I disagree. With all the fire power that we have this year, especially fire power that cannot score that effectively in iso situations (minus Rivers), a pass-first point guard with natural PG skills will be necessary. On our team, the only player that fits that description is Cook (while Thornton is also a pass first PG, I feel that Cook's passing skills are better). I don't think he will start at the beginning of year and may not throughout the rest of the year, but he will be the first guard off the bench.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I disagree. With all the fire power that we have this year, especially fire power that cannot score that effectively in iso situations (minus Rivers), a pass-first point guard with natural PG skills will be necessary. On our team, the only player that fits that description is Cook (while Thornton is also a pass first PG, I feel that Cook's passing skills are better). I don't think he will start at the beginning of year and may not throughout the rest of the year, but he will be the first guard off the bench.
    Actually you are agreeing, by stating that he probably won't be starting (through the entire year) you are stating that he is a bench player, which is what we said. We may not have justified our positions as strongly as you did, but we both said the same thing.

I guess in this case Winston Churchill is wrong, criticism is agreeable.

More Optimistic

Cook is our point guard of the future. He is an excellent passer, but can also put it in the hoop. He and Tyler have little in common offensively. Are we forgetting Cook quarterbacked the US U19 team against the world team a couple of months ago, showing well against international (and national) competition - and was one of the leading scorers for the US? Cook has the passion and skills to become better (much better) quickly. It will be fun to watch him mature. (In case you can't tell, I'm disagreeing.)

Quote Originally Posted by revmel53 View Post
    Cook is our point guard of the future. He is an excellent passer, but can also put it in the hoop. He and Tyler have little in common offensively. Are we forgetting Cook quarterbacked the US U19 team against the world team a couple of months ago, showing well against international (and national) competition - and was one of the leading scorers for the US? Cook has the passion and skills to become better (much better) quickly. It will be fun to watch him mature. (In case you can't tell, I'm disagreeing.)
    Your sarcasm is noted and to be honest is not warranted or appreciated. And second of all, forgetting what? I think you need to go back and look at what the 2nd and 3rd replies to this thread actually said, which was that he isn't starting for Duke next season.

I think Cook is great, he appears to be very mature, a fine distributed and appeared to be developing a consistent stroke. But I don't think he's starting for Duke in 2011-12 unless Curry or Rivers fail to:
    • initiate the offense effectively or
    • can't handle ball handling duties or
    • don't fulfill defensive expectations

Therefore by expressing your "disagreement" you are stating that you believe Cook will be Duke's starting guard next year.

Quote Originally Posted by darjum View Post
    Actually you are agreeing, by stating that he probably won't be starting (through the entire year) you are stating that he is a bench player, which is what we said. We may not have justified our positions as strongly as you did, but we both said the same thing.

I guess in this case Winston Churchill is wrong, criticism is agreeable.
    I disagree with the notion that he will be battling with Tyler Thornton for minutes. I feel that Cook will be the first guard off the bench and replace either Curry, Rivers, or Dawkins. Also, it sounds like a few posters don't feel that Cook will be one of the most important players on the team. I feel that Cook will be a Top 5 player on this Duke team in terms on impact. He was the tools and - this is complete speculation - Rivers seems like he really wants to play with Cook, meaning that his comfort level with Cook may be higher than any other player.

Also, I disagree that Cook will "only" be an impact player in his latter years. I think that he'll have crazy impact from the get go.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Pre-injury Quinn Cook was one of the two or three best point guards in his age group.

Post-injury Quinn Cook's game slipped off a bit, and you can see that in his drop in the rankings.

Fortunately for Duke, Quinn is an extremely hard worker and is coming to campus early (June) to put in extra rehab time. The competition in the backcourt is going to make all those guys better and I doubt anything will be settled playing time-wise until conference play.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Pre-injury Quinn Cook was one of the two or three best point guards in his age group.

Post-injury Quinn Cook's game slipped off a bit, and you can see that in his drop in the rankings.

Fortunately for Duke, Quinn is an extremely hard worker and is coming to campus early (June) to put in extra rehab time. The competition in the backcourt is going to make all those guys better and I doubt anything will be settled playing time-wise until conference play.
    Is there any reason, given his particular injury, to think Cook won't be able to come all the way back? Or is it just a matter of putting in the rest of the time and work necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Is there any reason, given his particular injury, to think Cook won't be able to come all the way back? Or is it just a matter of putting in the rest of the time and work necessary?
    I'm not a doctor but I think he'll be fine. Quinn somewhat rushed back to the court and had to ice his knee after games during the season last year. He couldn't be at a better place to get him ready for the season.

I dont think its even close between Cook and Thornton, Cook is much better. I know we havent seen Cook against ACC comp but from what ive seen, if we need Cook to hit a open 3 he can and I dont have the same confidence in Thornton after watching him play.

I dont see Thornton playing that much again this year and I feel Cook has to be a major factor in order for us to win it all. I think Cook could play a role similar to what Curry played last year. I really like Quinn Cook.

I'm not a doctor but I think he'll be fine. Quinn somewhat rushed back to the court and had to ice his knee after games during the season last year. He couldn't be at a better place to get him ready for the season.
    Adam, you obviously know more about Cooks specific situation and I do, but I will chime in to say that I had pretty much the exact same knee injury in high school. The difference was that it was my freshman year and not my senior year so I wasn't going to be playing much in games, anyway. In order to make sure I was fully healed and rehabbed, I took most of the season off, returning at the end to participate in practices and maybe even a few mop up minutes (I don't remember). The next season, after a summer of continuous strengthening, I was back stronger than ever. Cook didn't have the luxury of time because it was his senior year, he was the leader of his team, and he wanted every minute on the court he could get. I am sure that after a summer at Duke he'll be back and be even better than he was pre-injury.

I don't follow high school basketball too much, but I remember seeing Cook play against Tyler when they were both at DeMatha and Gonzaga, respectively (Cook was pre-injury). I can definitely attest that at that time, Cook was the far superior player. Tyler was clearly a leader on his team, but for the most part he still looked like the rest of guys on the court, whereas Cook was very conspicuously a level ahead. I think it says something that I remember him vividly even though at that time he wasn't on Duke's radar yet, as usually in that situation I couldn't care less about non-Duke prospects.

Generally I try not to get too excited for freshmen (Carrick Felix can dunk from the foul line!!!!! Starter!!!), but I think people will be surprised by this guy, especially if his injury gets much better. It seems to me that a lot of people have Seth pegged as next years’ PG, but personally I don’t see it. I think he’s much more valuable off the ball, and I don’ t think Seth has the handle or quickness for the penetration we need from a PG. Don’t get me wrong, Seth’s a great player, but he gets his shots from misdirection and craftiness, not speed.

The refrain around here is always that K will put his best five players on the court, but there are situations where I think Cook could start even if someone like Andre or Ryan is better. For example, I thought that in 2009 Elliot Williams was not as talented as Nolan Smith, but the team was more successful with Scheyer at the point and Ewill at the 2 than Nolan at the 1 and Scheyer at the 2. I think a similar situation could happen next year, as I think a Cook - Seth - Rivers backcourt may be more more balanced than say a Seth – Rivers – Dre backcourt, even though at this point Dre is certainly a better player.

How soon til basketball season?
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    It seems to me that a lot of people have Seth pegged as next years’ PG, but personally I don’t see it. I think he’s much more valuable off the ball, and I don’ t think Seth has the handle or quickness for the penetration we need from a PG. Don’t get me wrong, Seth’s a great player, but he gets his shots from misdirection and craftiness, not speed.
    I know you mentioned Jon in your following paragraph, but doesn't the bold description sound like our National Championship point guard, Jon Scheyer?

You did state that K puts the best 5 on the floor. He also puts together the 5 guys that work together as one unit. I have no idea who will be the starting point guard next year as I have seen positives/negatives from all the players being mentioned for the position. However, I do know that Coach K will do what is needed for the team to succeed. I frankly could care less who starts at point guard at the beginning of the season. It's the progression through the season that I am more interested in... and I want to see who is in at the end of games and the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    I know you mentioned Jon in your following paragraph, but doesn't the bold description sound like our National Championship point guard, Jon Scheyer?

You did state that K puts the best 5 on the floor. He also puts together the 5 guys that work together as one unit. I have no idea who will be the starting point guard next year as I have seen positives/negatives from all the players being mentioned for the position. However, I do know that Coach K will do what is needed for the team to succeed. I frankly could care less who starts at point guard at the beginning of the season. It's the progression through the season that I am more interested in... and I want to see who is in at the end of games and the end of the season.
    Ah true - as Jon and our coaches proved, there’s more than one way to skin a cat; it’s one of the things I love about basketball. However, I think Jon was more the exception to the rule, as he had an extremely high basketball IQ and assist-to-turnover ratio. He also had two guys on the floor whose only responsibility before a shot was to set screens. With so many offensive weapons I doubt we’ll run that type of offense again. Generally speaking, I think K prefers to run more dribble penetration when he has the pieces. After all, Jon only got moved to the point that season once sophomore-Nolan wasn’t executing the way K wanted him to.

I’m curious though, does anyone know what assignments K gave Seth over the summer? Did he tell him he expects him to be a PG next year, so he should work on his penetration? Does he give specific assignments like that, or does he just expect that the players will work on an all-around game over the summer?

To the poster above, I recognize that all this is conjecture and no matter how well one analyzes it there's simply not enough information right now to get a good idea of whose starting or not. That said, even if I can't watch duke basketball I still like talking about it
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    from what ive seen, if we need Cook to hit a open 3 he can and I dont have the same confidence in Thornton after watching him play.
    I thought Thornton was a pretty good shooter in the limited attempts that he had last year. But at any rate, neither will be asked to shoot a lot. They both have different strengths and will be used in different situations, but I think both will have an impact on the team. A big question for me will be how much Rivers is used as the primary ball handler. If our entire offense is centered around Rivers, then I could see Thornton getting playing time alongside him for defensive purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I thought Thornton was a pretty good shooter in the limited attempts that he had last year. But at any rate, neither will be asked to shoot a lot. They both have different strengths and will be used in different situations, but I think both will have an impact on the team.
    Have to agree with you there UrinalCake. Kid only took 15 three pointers the entire year, but that's 15 more than Cook has taken.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    Generally speaking, I think K prefers to run more dribble penetration when he has the pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    A big question for me will be how much Rivers is used as the primary ball handler.
    I agree that Austin's reputed penchant for starting the play with the ball in his hands is the wild card in predicting next year's lineup. Personally, I believe things will appear sort of backwards, with our "SG" (Austin) controlling the ball like a PG and our "PG" (Seth) setting up for outside shots like a SG. Essentially, we'll be playing two combo guards a lot.

So while over the summer I imagine Seth will work on his ball skills and Tyler will work on both his shooting and passing, I don't think we need either of them to be "classic" penetrating PGs. Nor do I see a need to throw Quinn into the fire before he's ready.

The other thing that will be critical is how well all these guys play defense. Especially, who's going to guard the ball? My guess is in that regard, Seth and Tyler will have a leg up (which is one of several reasons I expect Seth to start over Quinn).

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    I dont think its even close between Cook and Thornton, Cook is much better. I know we havent seen Cook against ACC comp but from what ive seen, if we need Cook to hit a open 3 he can and I dont have the same confidence in Thornton after watching him play.

I dont see Thornton playing that much again this year and I feel Cook has to be a major factor in order for us to win it all. I think Cook could play a role similar to what Curry played last year. I really like Quinn Cook.
    TT will earn minutes on the floor with his defense and play making decisions. Last year there were times where he looked to be a bit overwhelmed in the back court within pressure situations. This past year and the upcoming summer should play big dividends for the young man and I think TT will play a key role in this coming year’s team.

Quinn Cook is coming into a stellar situation. He will be learning from some of the best perimeter players (and coaches) in the ACC, if not the country. Look for Quinn to get settled in, show flashes of his potential and gain from his freshman experiences. Anything more than this would be outstanding, however, I am not going to expect anymore than that out of the young man.