Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheap shot at John Lucas

I have considerable admiration for the way that the DBR typically conducts itself, but summarizing Durham's own John Lucas as a "nearly 60-year-old recovering cokehead" and then snidely commenting that his history as an addict would be "very impressive to mothers" are low blows unworthy of a site that prides itself in taking a higher road than most.

Unimpressive, to say the least.

John Lucas a Recovering Cokehead?

While technically true, I suspect he has been clean and sober longer than many members here have been alive. That's a pretty cheap shot for DBR (front page, Maryland search article) to take at someone who has turned his life around and helped scores of others to do the same.

I completely agree, and posted a similar thread almost simultaneously.

I thought they were talking about LT.

Quote Originally Posted by chalz View Post
    I have considerable admiration for the way that the DBR typically conducts itself, but summarizing Durham's own John Lucas as a "nearly 60-year-old recovering cokehead" and then snidely commenting that his history as an addict would be "very impressive to mothers" are low blows unworthy of a site that prides itself in taking a higher road than most.

Unimpressive, to say the least.
    agree on both counts, admiration for the way dbr is run and that was certainly not a high point. i was very surprised to read that to be honest.

Maybe back when he was into coke Lucas "shorted" DBR on a buy?

See, it takes little imagination to throw around cheap shots. DBR needs to apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by mdj View Post
    agree on both counts, admiration for the way dbr is run and that was certainly not a high point. i was very surprised to read that to be honest.
    Me too. I actually think a parent might be especially impressed by a recruiting coach who has so successfully tamed his own demons and turned his life around. I certainly find it impressive (though I'm not the parent of a prospective recruit and can't really stand in their shoes).

In fairness to dbr, it's probably pretty easy to post something without thinking it through when you are rushing to get us all the latest news and links first thing in the morning. It's pretty impressive how seldom that actually happens here.

Quote Originally Posted by mdj View Post
    +1. I hope it is taken down very soon.

Add me to the above chorus.

Frankly, if I were a parent who had concerns that my highly recruited son had fallen in with some kids with substance abuse issues, I would steer my son toward Lucas.

Strongly agree that such a statement is beneath DBR, and is especially ill-conceived about a Durham native son.

Without even getting to the point that severe drug dependence generally involves both an addiction and disease component (as opposed to being a cut and dried "moral failure"), Mr. Lucas is generally respected for all he has accomplished since his surely hard won recovery.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go DBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was coming here specifically to object. Lucas has dedicated the last 25 years to helping people with substance abuse issues, and that's how he ought to be described, not as some cokehead. If that's all he is after all these years, what hope is there for people struggling with addiction now?

A stand-up guy from a great Durham family deserves better. And Maryland might be lucky to have him.

As a recovering alcoholic, I find this terribly offensive. A lot of people would be very surprised to find out just how many highly respected people show up in recovery meetings and just happened to be fortunate that their demons were never made public.

If I'm the parent of a D1 talent, I wouldn't look at the fact that Lucas struggled with addiction. I would look at the fact that he's been recovering (we never use the term recovered) for decades and has helped many other do the same. It also helps that he's been pretty successful in life as well.

The thing is, our current president has admitted to using coke before. There's an awful lot of speculation that the previous president enjoyed the drug quite a bit and also seemed to struggle with different forms of substance abuse. These guys were able to become presidents. Love them or hate them, that's a hell of an accomplishment. If you can battle substance abuse and become president, then surely you can do it and coach at Maryland.

Yup, totally uncalled for; unbelievable that this published; and this does not represent the Duke way at all.

Hey DBR maybe you need to take the forum offline overnight so you can cool down, get some perspective (before you write **** like this) kind of like you did to all your contributors the night after the loss to Arizona?

I will add mine to the chorus of voices asking for a rewrite, edit, or removal of the aforementioned article. It's mean-spirited and inappropriate, definitely NOT an "all-in-fun" fan-gibe.

Disrepectful and uncalled for.

DBR in the past has taken a similarly callous editorial approach to the substance abuse issues of Phil Ford and others. Addictions are a disease, and taking shots at addicts is beyond distasteful.

For all the talk of DBR holding itself to a higher standard and moderating the boards such that they don't reflect poorly on the Duke community (an approach I'm fine with, just so we're clear), we should remember that DBR proper will always receive orders of magnitude more traffic than the boards. When you put something like that on the main page, you are doing more harm to the Duke image than 1000 poorly considered forum posts.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTurkey View Post
    DBR in the past has taken a similarly callous editorial approach to the substance abuse issues of Phil Ford and others. Addictions are a disease, and taking shots at addicts is beyond distasteful.

For all the talk of DBR holding itself to a higher standard and moderating the boards such that they don't reflect poorly on the Duke community (an approach I'm fine with, just so we're clear), we should remember that DBR proper will always receive orders of magnitude more traffic than the boards. When you put something like that on the main page, you are doing more harm to the Duke image than 1000 poorly considered forum posts.
    As you suggest, DBR runs a great site that really does operate at a higher rhetorical/ ethical standard thn the majority of fan sites. This is simply a lapse in judgment, but a lapse nonetheless.

Cheap Shot

I read the website all the time. I have seen somethings on here that I thought was not well thought out, but this one is the worst. You guys really need to think about things before you right them... I hope the people who come here and the read the site don't think all Duke Fans are like this...

Signed
    Blue Devil fan for life.

Extreme cheap shot and Lucas doesn't deserve that. He has done some outstanding things for athletes in the past 20 years.

I just came home after a day of appointments. I know John Sr. and John Jr. The comment about John Lucas, Jr. is thoughtless, hurtful and disrespectful.

What would happen to someone who posted such a comment in a thread on this board? Would such a comment be allowed to stand with no infractions, penalties or warnings?