Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I won't miss him

Kudos to the posts of 4decadedukie and jdj4duke. Couldn't have said it better.

While I'm happy for MD fans that GW resurrected their program and I acknowledge his coaching abilities, I cannot say I respect him. No coach in any sport should tacitly encourage (or at least not discourage) thuggish behavior on/at his/her home court. It's almost as if GW's message to his team/fans was "we cannot beat you without using this approach".

Have posted before on his behavior towards his team at the Durham Hilton before a game with the Heels. No need to repeat that info. However, since that day, have thought that the MD crowd's behaviors simply mirrored the attitude of their coach...and that he was fine with that.

I actually liked MD when Lefty was there and knew nothing about Gary when he came. With a change in coaches, I hope the Terps can return to being a school other fans are willing to visit. My last trip to College Park was in 1992. I swore I would not return until fan behavior was addressed.

Wonder if the conference is finally planning to address crowd behavior (which they should) and that GW knows, at least in CP, the genie will be tough to get back in the bottle?

Like Gary or not (and I happen to like the guy), this is a big hit to the ACC. The quality of coaching has suffered in the last 10 years with the constant turnover and Gary was one of the main-stays. In my opinion Gary was, at worst, the 2nd best coach in the conference - possibly even the best on-the-floor coach. The way he could put a team together that consisted mostly of players not as highly regarded as those coming in to UNC and Duke was remarkable. Maybe you could knock on Gary for not being the level of recruiter as K and Roy. Or maybe he was already at some type of disadvantage in that area - that is another debate. But when Gary's teams featured a high level of talent, they produced - see 2001 and 2002. And even without it, they still managed to challenge for the lead in the conference. Do you think Gary would have failed to make the tournament with UNC's 2010 roster? I bet not.

He is a far better coach than a lot of the terp fans deserve. But I am certainly going to miss him being around. The is a big, big loss for the conference, and for college ball - just as K has been quoted. I hope he pops up in a coaching gig somewhere soon.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowndevil View Post
    Look, nobody around here approves of the above actions by Maryland fans. I have been very harsh about their fans' behavior in multiple previous posts and I do think it reflects badly on Gary. But holding Gary Williams responsible for all of it is ludicrous. Do we hold pro coaches responsible for fans' behavior? Comcast is not Cameron, populated nearly exclusively by undergrads and older affluent donors. It's a large venue situated in a competitive sports market- a lot of people buying tickets would not tolerate, for example, Gary Williams stopping a game to chastise fans.

And ask Coach K how important support from his athletic department has been to his success at Duke. Gary, at least for 15 years or so, didn't have that. Coach K is able to set the tone with fans and media in large part because his AD has his back. Sure, Gary could make announcements and write letters to Maryland fans. Without strong support from the athletic department and administration, it's so much shouting in the wind.

I'm not holding Gary Williams up as a model of how to run a program. I am saying he is one hell of a good basketball coach. He is among the handful (plus or minus a couple fingers) of most successful coaches ever in arguably the most storied college basketball conference. His teams have always played hard, smart basketball and his departure comes at a terrible time for the conference, when many programs are rebuilding and/or feature untested coaches. Saying his departure is somehow good for the ACC is ridiculous.

I'll tell you exactly what this "great" coach could – and should have – have done. He could have told the media, the students, the Trustees, the state government, the senior administrators, and the alumni/fans/boosters that unless certain things substantially changed – all of which reflected VERY poorly on his alma mater, the University of Maryland, and on his Basketball program – he would take his skills and passion elsewhere. In essence, "shape up, or ship out." Make academics meaningful, reign in thuggishness and hooliganism, demand fan decency, preclude post-game rioting and arson, and so forth . . . and if you do not, find a new Head Coach.

That is precisely what true professionals do when the organization with which they are affiliated fails to meet their overriding ethical, performance, and behavioral standards. Williams did not do so because, as I stated in my first (and second) post to this thread, he was – and is – all about winning, not about the FAR more important responsibilities he has as a coach, a university official, a teacher, and a leader.

Enough specious apologies for this man; his record – pathetic academics combined lawless, déclassé conduct – speaks for itself.
    Last edited by 4decadedukie; 05-06-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    I'll tell you exactly what this "great" coach could – and should have – have done. He could have told the media, the students, the Trustees, the state government, the senior administrators, and the alumni/fans/boosters that unless certain things substantially changed – all of which reflected VERY poorly on his alma mater, the University of Maryland, and on his Basketball program – he would take his skills and passion elsewhere. In essence, "shape up, or ship out." Make academics meaningful, reign in thuggishness and hooliganism, demand fan decency, preclude post-game rioting and arson, and so forth . . . and if you do not, find a new Head Coach.

That is precisely what true professionals do when the organization with which they are affiliated fails to meet their overriding ethical, performance, and behavioral standards. Williams did not do so because, as I stated in my first (and second) post to this thread, he was – and is – all about winning, not about the FAR more important responsibilities he has as a coach, a university official, a teacher, and a leader.

Enough specious apologies for this man; his record – pathetic academics combined lawless, déclassé conduct – speaks for itself.
    Those are some very harsh words. Personally, I have to disagree.

Although I suspect he secretly relished the gritty make-up of both his team and his fanbase, I don't know where Gary Williams stood on the issue of fan behavior or his team's poor academic records. I don't know if he encouraged any of it, or if he simply thought there was nothing he could do about it. But I do know this: there are much greater evils in college basketball.

Yes, Gary could have made a public issue out of the fan behavior. But he didn't. And nor did he have to. Accepting a position as a coach on a basketball team does not entail responsibility for an entire university's undergraduate student conduct.

Gary was never involved in any major scandal and he was never one for breaking the rules. He had a long and steady career as a head coach in the ACC, highlighted by a few stellar successes and a hard-earned national championship. He may not have been a saint, but he was certainly a law-abiding citizen. And to act as though his tenure at Maryland was embodied by some sort of constant ethical failure is, in my opinion, both undeserved and unreasonable.

His departure is a loss for the ACC.
    Last edited by Jderf; 05-06-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Yes, Gary could have made a public issue out of the fan behavior. But he didn't. And nor did he have to. Accepting a position as a coach on a basketball team does not entail responsibility for an entire university's undergraduate student conduct.

Gary was never involved in any major scandal and he was never one for breaking the rules. He had a long and steady career as a head coach in the ACC, highlighted by a few stellar successes and a hard-earned national championship. He may not have been a saint, but he was certainly a law-abiding citizen. And to act as though his tenure at Maryland was embodied by some sort of constant ethical failure is, in my opinion, both undeserved and unreasonable.

His departure is a loss for the ACC.
    I admire the effort, but around here you are screaming into a hurricane.

The Maryland opening is far more attractive than the NC State job.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackerb View Post
    Why is this job such a better job than the NC State one? I'm not sure it is.

The proximity to Duke and UNC is overstated...If an elite player is near your school, it doesn't matter whether it's 12 miles away or 275 (as in the case of UMD), you still have to compete with Duke/UNC/Kentucky/etc.

UMD has more recent success, but even that success was short lived and 7-8 years ago. Since then, they haven't accomplished much. NC State has less to show for on the court recently, but has recruited better, and has more overally history.

If there's one school that is measured by how they succeed against Duke/UNC as much as NC State, it's UMD. It's maybe a marginally better job, but it's no huge step up.

I certainly couldn't see someone like Shaka Smart or Sean Miller leave for UMD but not NC State.
    Why is the Maryland job attractive?

It’s Location, Location, Location! The College Park campus is considered local for both Baltimore kids and DC kids. The amount of talent located within a 100 mile radius of the campus is significantly better than anything in NC states recruiting area. Take a look at this list comprised of DC basketball talent. If a big name comes in and keeps even a tiny fraction of that talent, look out!

Stating that NC State has a richer history might be a perspective in your area. I was born in Baltimore and my father was an adjunct professor at UMD medical school -Clearly, I am biased. But, people in the DC area consider the tradition of Williams, Lefty, and Bias to be as relevant as NC States college basketball lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Those are some very harsh words. Personally, I have to disagree.

Although I suspect he secretly relished the gritty make-up of both his team and his fanbase, I don't know where Gary Williams stood personally on the issue of fan behavior or his team's poor academic records. I don't know if he encouraged any of it, or if he simply thought there was nothing he could do about it. But I do know this: there are much greater evils in college basketball.

That's a bit much. No one is suggesting that Williams should have been responsible for the conduct of all Maryland undergraduate, only the actions of his basketball fans during his basketball games. And frankly, if Williams had tried to rein in fan conduct and failed, I doubt anyone would have blamed him for that. People are annoyed because he barely tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    People are annoyed because he barely tried.
    What efforts did he ever put out there to stop it? (Serious question). I think you're being too kind, but if I overlooked something, someone please let me know.

I will miss him, and I think he's one of the greats. Gary was not perfect, for many of the reasons that have been raised in this thread, but he was a heckuva basketball coach. He did as good a job of developing players as any coach in the ACC, including K. (Not saying he's K's equal as a coach overall, just in that one area.)

Gary's bombastic personality was both fun to watch and annoying at times. He is a flawed human being, as we all are, and his flaws were often on display. He managed, though, to resurrect the UMd program from the ashes, build a successful program, and compete regularly with Duke and UNC without cheating and without scandal.

I was as annoyed as anyone with Gary's potshots at Duke in the early 00's. He hasn't done that in quite some time, though, and it appeared that he and K genuinely became friends over the last few years. I think with distance we'll look back at him at the best coach UMd has had.

Gary Williams will be missed

I do not like or respect much about the University of Maryland at all. As a whole I don't respect UM students, academics, administration or alumni. On the other hand I have always respected the basketball teams Gary Williams put on the court at Maryland every year. His teams were tough, gritty teams worthy of respect and sometimes quite good. As hard as they played rarely if ever did I disrespect the quality of any of the individuals that Gary Williams recruited (other than for their decision to attend Maryland in the first place). In my mind Gary Williams was the best and perhaps only good aspect to the University of Maryland. Today the students, administration and alumni of the University of Maryland, and all related brackish water reptiles are the biggest losers.
    Little known fact- most female terrapins outweigh their male counterparts. Did Debbie Yow outweigh Gary Williams?

Not a fan of his kids' academic performance (which I see as related to his recruiting and management of their experience once they got there), and seriously not a fan of his on-court demeanor, which kind of reminds me of those old "angriest dog in the world" cartoons. He also should have spoken out more forcefully against thuggish fan behavior. I'm glad he's gone.

But I agree that he was excellent at getting his team prepared and playing to their max on the court. I do acknowledge that part.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    That's a bit much. No one is suggesting that Williams should have been responsible for the conduct of all Maryland undergraduate, only the actions of his basketball fans during his basketball games. And frankly, if Williams had tried to rein in fan conduct and failed, I doubt anyone would have blamed him for that. People are annoyed because he barely tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    What efforts did he ever put out there to stop it? (Serious question). I think you're being too kind, but if I overlooked something, someone please let me know.
    Well, despite my post above, I actually agree with you that Gary Williams should be on the list of people criticized for not trying to rein in Maryland fans -- even though he's pretty far down on that list.

I was only reacting to people who seemed to parade the fact around, as if it somehow showed that his retirement is good for the ACC (it isn't), or as if it somehow negated the fact that he was a great ACC coach (he was).

it was more than the MD fans

I'm with 4DD on this one, but let's for the moment set aside what he could have / should have or could not have reasonably done to rein in fan misbehavior.

How about his OWN behavior? Did you notice how he treated his own players and coaches? It's hard for me to imagine a starker contrast with Coach K in management style. Williams was like The Great Santini stalking the sidelines, seething with rage, ready to explode at any moment. And sometimes he did - at his own guys!

Yes, he was a great Xs and Os guy. He showed his guys by example how to play with a chip (the size of an overturned police car) on their shoulder. So that motivated his guys, and he must have taught them the game well, too, because MD was often a tough team to beat - and sometimes they got the better of us, even when we were supposedly the better team.

But he came across as a humorless misanthrope with anger issues, and nothing in all the accolades I've heard for his coaching skill from his FRIENDS today (JF, TK) suggest that part of his description is inaccurate.

To Wit

See:

http://www.stationcaster.com/clicktr...our+1&ext=.mp3

start at 9:10 with the story of GW 3-putting a par 5 he drove in 2, and what he did to TK when TK said, "It's only a game."

proceed on to story of his asst coaches designated to get "black and blue-d" by GW in-game while getting out his frustrations.

Talking An Appreciation of Gary Williams

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I'm with 4DD on this one, but let's for the moment set aside what he could have / should have or could not have reasonably done to rein in fan misbehavior.

How about his OWN behavior? Did you notice how he treated his own players and coaches? It's hard for me to imagine a starker contrast with Coach K in management style. Williams was like The Great Santini stalking the sidelines, seething with rage, ready to explode at any moment. And sometimes he did - at his own guys!

Yes, he was a great Xs and Os guy. He showed his guys by example how to play with a chip (the size of an overturned police car) on their shoulder. So that motivated his guys, and he must have taught them the game well, too, because MD was often a tough team to beat - and sometimes they got the better of us, even when we were supposedly the better team.

But he came across as a humorless misanthrope with anger issues, and nothing in all the accolades I've heard for his coaching skill from his FRIENDS today (JF, TK) suggest that part of his description is inaccurate.
    Critics of Gary on this thread are making some really good points. I just have a different perspective.

In an era when there are few great coaches, GW was and is a great coach. He didn't run a great program because he is not the kind of executive and leader to do so. So there were deficiencies in [ahem] academics, [double ahem] fan behavior, and basic public relations (why feud with a boss?). But he can coach his players. And he proved it by winning at American, Boston College and Ohio State, as well as at Maryland.

I haven't had a problem with Gary's bench behavior once I finally realized that he is not yelling AT the poor guys on the bench. He is yelling about missed plays on the floor, and the bench guys get to hear it first.

And in terms of the spoken word or his public persona -- what you see is what you get. It is Gary just being himself. Not Dino Gaudio, nor Sean Miller, nor a host of others trying to act like Coach K. There are few originals left on the college basketball scene, saying this as one who remembers, Lefty and Cremins and Valvano, and even Old Bones McKinney (who had a seatbelt installed on the bench to avoid getting T'd up any more). And the Gray Fox, Everett Case ("Just bury me next to highway 70, going to play Duke at Duke").

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    Yea, he should have taken his talents to South Beach! Afterall, the job was open.

The thing that will make me miss him most is that I believe he is the last of the ACC basketball coaches outside of K that was there when I was a student in the early 90s. Kind of the last of the old guard, so to speak. That kind of makes me sad and makes me feel old. Am I missing someone?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    The thing that will make me miss him most is that I believe he is the last of the ACC basketball coaches outside of K that was there when I was a student in the early 90s. Kind of the last of the old guard, so to speak. That kind of makes me sad and makes me feel old. Am I missing someone?
    Williams is the last of the ACC coaches that was there in the 90s period. Leonard Hamilton is next, and he arrived at FSU in the fall of 2002.

I just learned of this news right now...been out of touch for the last 48 hours. (And how nice it was.)

Frankly, I am stunned and sad to hear of Gary's departure. Yes, he had many, many issues, but he always seemd to have the highest respect for Duke and Coach K. Some of his players openly hated Duke, but many more seemed to hold Duke in a positive light.

As a poster mentioned above, he represented an old guard of the ACC that is now down to Coach K, and maybe Roy. So, I'm sad to see it slowly fading away. Let's hope the new guard can carry the torch....