Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Actually, I disagree on this. NC State was known by the experts to be a meh job. But Maryland:
    Both Dave Telep and Evan Daniels noted that its a great job due to its recruiting grounds, and other college bball analysts (Goodman, Wolken, Luke Winn, Staples, etc.) are all saying this is at least a top 20 job, due to the recruiting ground, great facilities, tradition, and being in the ACC.

NC State's recruiting ground was shared with two national powers in the same conference. Maryland's is shared with 1 power in a different conference, and Georgetown is NOT UNC/Duke. Moreover, Maryland's got apparently better facilities, and has won significant games in the lifetimes of current college bball recruits.

Maryland is a very good job. I'm not sure it'll get huge interest due to how late the job opened. But it is NOT NC State.
    You have to take into account the fact that a fair number of college basketball experts aren't very bright. (I expected better from Winn, though.)

Maryland's tradition, facilities and conference affiliation aren't any better than NC State's, Duke spends much more time in Maryland's "recruiting ground" than it does in NC State's, and 2002 is ancient history to tomorrow's recruits. If there's a major difference between the two jobs, it isn't obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    She should. Gary, speaking to his favorite sockpuppet:

"... But I think I’d been worn down by the previous 15 years [with Yow]. It grinds on you."
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Happy trails Gary, I'll miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    You have to take into account the fact that a fair number of college basketball experts aren't very bright. (I expected better from Winn, though.)

Maryland's tradition, facilities and conference affiliation aren't any better than NC State's, Duke spends much more time in Maryland's "recruiting ground" than it does in NC State's, and 2002 is ancient history to tomorrow's recruits. If there's a major difference between the two jobs, it isn't obvious.
    I do take that into account. But I trust Telep and Evan Daniels on recruiting - they've proven to be experts on that.

Duke spends time in Maryland's recruiting ground because Maryland DIDNT. But recruits are generally more favorable toward staying near home, especially if there's a bigtime local school there. That didn't work for NC State. It would work for Maryland.

As to the tradition, there's a major difference there, in that 2002 is NOT ancient history to those recruits, especially as compared to say...the 1980s.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...-tap-for-terps is a nice read on this, among others.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Recognizing the following opinions are bound to be somewhat controversial, I do not respect Williams and I believe -- in the long-term -- his retirement may be good for both the ACC and for intercollegiate hoops. Specifically, it is absolutely clear that Gary was all about -- and probably only about -- winning, not character development, or undergraduate-level academics, or ethics, or leadership by example.

His teams' academic ratings were, at best, very poor; for some years, Maryland had a ZERO percent academic success/graduation rate. That is simply unsatisfactory for any college coach, who doubtless has a principal mission to ensure at least marginal scholastic performance. Further, I read last week that UMd is likely to join a small, shameful group that will forfeit at least one scholarship this year, due to terrible academics; only a few Division I universities attain this dubious NCAA distinction -- it simply is not easy to do so.

Similarly, it is certain that Williams de facto encouraged thuggish, uncivil and sometimes illegal conduct (principally by fans, students, alumni, and boosters -- not players) both at Cole/ComCast and in College Park. The intentional derision of Duke basketball family members, the vulgar chants and ubiquitous "Duck Fuke" shirts, the physical assaults, the post-game rioting, arson and destruction, and so forth were all enabled by Williams. Any sincere request from Gary would have instantaneously stopped these sorts of things; however, he never seriously asked students and boosters to desist, simply because he believed that such hooliganism enhanced the Terps opportunity to win. That this long-term comportment also badly denigrated the university and significantly sullied its broad reputation seems to have been entirely irrelevant to Williams.

In fairness, he was a good coach, but only insofar as getting reasonable on-court performance from his players was concerned. However, that is only one facet of his responsibilities and -- in the long-run -- one of secondary importance.

Selfishly, I'll be looking to see what happens to their incoming recruits. I imagine they'll wait until a replacement is named before making a decision, but it is May, only a few weeks away from summer session. They've got that big German guy who's quite intriguing. Also, didn't they sign a guy in the 2012 class who was previously considering Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    That, along with the "Inspiration" v. "Perspiration" chant, were among my favorites.
    "Sure" and "Unsure" was pretty clever, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think they should really look at Jimmy Patsos, who was an assistant at Maryland for 13 years. He is currently at Loyola ... He's in his mid-40s, so he's young enough to perhaps stay in the job for a while. I think he'd be a strong candidate. ...
    I don't think they should look at Patsos and I don't think he should be a strong candidate. His sideline demeanor is woeful/comical/buffoonish. Patsos makes Gary Williams look like Brad Stevens. Seriously. I don't think he's that good of a coach, either, and not that good of a face for the program. There have been reports he's tried to mellow/mature, somewhat. He's got long-time service as an assistant at Maryland, but to me that's all he has going for him.

gw a good coach

I think GW is a good coach, and while crusty and susceptible to berating his players, he is, in the context of college basketball.

I don't share the negative view of GW. What I do believe is that Maryland is far less of an attractive school in 2011 than people generally believe.

The school itself has no curb appeal. PG County and the surrounding environs are evolving into high crime barrios (far different than when I competed at UMd in the late 70's), and it is not an easy place to recruit from. The fact is that the great players who want to stay local are far more inclined to go to Georgetown - an attractive draw - and the national stars in the area will look at Duke and UNC before Maryland. Yes, it all could change with a great coach, but the school's dismal PG County vibe, with all of its post-Industrial Route 1 charm, is not a draw. It doesn't help that the school sits astride a key post in the nation's illegal drug corridor, either.

This does all make a difference, too. Maryland feels like a commuter school, and the weekends there can be dead. And indeed, many opt to commute home on weekends, even if that means Salisbury or Westminster.

Maryland fans are awful in their behavior. But I don't agree that Gary could have done much. Yow liked the money at all cost, and she wanted the draw that the moronic fans could bring. The Terps attendance this year explained a lot. They are not the basketball fans of Lucas, Elmore, McMillen, et. al...they are in it for the obnoxiousness and the rowdiness, and if their team is just OK, they stay away in droves at a really nice facility - in fact, one of the nicer buildings on campus in a sea of mundane red brick buildings. In other words, they are not a bunch that appreciates good basketball, just the circus that they can surround it with. Oh, the smell of burnt couches in the air.

I could easily be accused of capriciousness when it comes to College Park. But I live in Northern Va, and there are 4/5 Virginia schools with superior to equivalent academics that offer a lot nicer college experience. And they don't compare well to many others in the ACC, from Duke to UNC to Georgia Tech to Wake to Uva to BC and so on. I think it far from the great job to which it is advertised. There was no worse major school program than when Bob Wade ran Maryland. And Len Bias' death made the school a pariah. I don't think GW gets enough credit. I don't see them doing well without him.

Quote Originally Posted by rogermortimer View Post
    there are 4/5 Virginia schools with superior to equivalent academics
    There are probably 4 schools in DURHAM with equivalent academics....heck NCSSM could give them a run for their money

fear the classroom baby!
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by rogermortimer View Post
    This does all make a difference, too. Maryland feels like a commuter school, and the weekends there can be dead. And indeed, many opt to commute home on weekends, even if that means Salisbury or Westminster.
    I think your view of College Park on the weekends is a bit outdated. Maryland is often considered a "party school," and has seen increasing enrollment of out of state students who don't and can't go home every weekend. The majority of in-state students venture home once a month, if that. There is certainly a commuter presence, but it is not the majority of the population. I see many of Maryland's team in the College Park bars during the off-season, and it doesn't seem like they (or any other student at the school) thinks the weekends are "dead."

I also disagree with your statement about "boring red buildings," but maybe that's just me: http://www.urhome.umd.edu/marylandim...mage/fs/70.jpg

My point is that you are right in that there are big issues in the area surrounding Maryland (though I would also disagree that that makes recruits shy away), but some of your speculation is not correct.

I'll just repost my facebook status
    Shout out to Gary Williams. My favorite coach in the ACC that wasn't Coach K. In some ways he may have been the best in the conference. He generally avoided the recruits with the most hype and got a helluva lot out of the ones that slipped under the radar. All told, I'll miss him and I'll miss Maryland's relevance too.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    ...I do not respect Williams and I believe -- in the long-term -- his retirement may be good for both the ACC ...
    While I disagree with most of these opinions, the claim that Gary Williams leaving is good for the ACC strikes me as especially hard to defend. The state of ACC coaching is simply terrible right now. Outside of Mike Kyzyzewski and Roy Williams the coaching resumes get awfully, awfully thin. The comparison to the Big East is particularly glaring, but also the Big Ten. Outside of K and Roy, how many ACC Coaches would you take over any of Thad Matta, Matt Painter, Bo Ryan, Tom Crean, or John Beilein? I guess maybe Leonard Hamilton? I like Tony Bennett a lot but it's hard to argue for him based on results to this point. The SEC loses Bruce Pearl but gains Mike Anderson to go with Calipari (say what you want, the guy can coach) and Billy Donovan. Do you take Leonard Hamilton over Vandy's Kevin Stallings?

I'd have to think about this a bit, but I'm seriously wondering if you could make a reasonable list of the 3rd and 4th best coaches in all of the other major conferences and, except maybe Hamilton, whether I'd take any of the current ACC coaches not named Krzyzewski or Williams over any of the names on that list.

Stunned to wake up this morning and see this news on DBR. Any time you lose a coach as recognizable to G.Williams it's never a good thing for a program or conference. Regardless of off the court issues, on the court when Duke played Maryland you never penciled it in as a definite Duke win with Williams on the other sideline to Coach K.

A question for those in the know around the Carolina area, what was the relationship between Coack K and Williams like?

My Elegy for Gary Wiliams

This is an end to an era - an era of resentment and hate. This is naturally a sad day.

Gary was a one of a kind basketball coach. He had talent in finding under the radar kids that blossomed into stars. Although he could have just recruited stars from his home state of Maryland, which is one of the basketball meccas of America.

He loved to sweat during games and cuss at the refs. He especially loved to tell the country that other teams “get all the calls”. He was loyal to his fan base that was one of the worst in the land. He refused to apologized when his fans rioted after games, chanted profane chants at opposing players, or threw objects at player’s moms.

Gary had a competitive streak, which naturally found its greatest outlet in getting into fights with his AD Debbie Yow. He even tried to sabotage her search for a new coach at NC State. It also allowed him to take down the big boys Duke and UNC which he did on a regular basis (at home of course).

He won one national championship during his tenure in 2002. It will luckily not be remembered as the weakest national championship team of all time, due to the recent championship-winning UCONN Husky team that made everyone embarrassed to be a college basketball fan.

Gary Williams, you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowndevil View Post
    While I disagree with most of these opinions, the claim that Gary Williams leaving is good for the ACC strikes me as especially hard to defend.
    How about a coach who believes in the critical and fundamental concept of the student-athlete, who recognizes that for almost all players academic performance will be far more important throughout life's long decades than athleticism, and who does not encourage fan vulgarity, obscenity, assault, arson, intimidation, lawlessness and mayhem?

Your entire post focuses exclusively on wins and losses, on the athletic role of the coach; however, while that is the coach's most visible requirement, it certainly is not his most critical one. Character maturation, leadership by example, encouraging intellectual and professional development, demanding ethical and legal comportment from everyone associated with “his” program (including fans, alumni, students, boosters, etc.), and being a true credit and a stellar representative of the university are -- in aggregate -- MUCH more important.

I have been surprised and somewhat disappointed that so few DBR participants seem to see Williams’ retirement as I do. I therefore ask, would we admire Coach K so greatly and believe that he is one of the seminal individuals in the Duke University’s unprecedented increase in national and global stature during the last three decades (not to mention a key catalyst in securing the mammoth donations that have facilitated so much that enhances Duke), were his non-athletic performance, values and attitudes much like Gary Williams'? No one competes more fiercely than K; however, he does so without resorting to gauche, uncivil and illicit behavior. Further, he demands (and he attains) the highest standards of fan/student/alumni “sixth man” performance -- zealously support our Blue Devils, but do so in ways that reflect distinction, decency, and intellectual cleverness on the University. In addition, he emphasizes academics (especially for his athletes); players graduate (even superstars with unquestioned NBA potential), they attend excellent professional schools, they have stellar careers, they become outstanding citizens and contributors to our society, and they are superior role models. Moreover, K is deeply committed to civic engagement, ranging from leadership of our Olympic Team to the Emily Krzyzewski Center that principally serves Durham’s disadvantages youth. In sum, Williams is a Coach, whereas K is a leader, a teacher, an ethical beacon, and an example for all to emulate.

The University of Maryland, the ACC and intercollegiate basketball would be well served were Gary's replacement a better person, leader and example, as well as a good coach.
    Last edited by 4decadedukie; 05-06-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Recognizing the following opinions are bound to be somewhat controversial, I do not respect Williams...Specifically, it is absolutely clear that Gary was all about -- and probably only about -- winning, not character development, or undergraduate-level academics, or ethics, or leadership by example.

His teams' academic ratings were, at best, very poor; for some years, Maryland had a ZERO percent academic success/graduation rate.. ...

Similarly, it is certain that Williams de facto encouraged thuggish, uncivil and sometimes illegal conduct (principally by fans, students, alumni, and boosters -- not players) both at Cole/ComCast and in College Park. ...however, he never seriously asked students and boosters to desist, simply because he believed that such hooliganism enhanced the Terps opportunity to win. That this long-term comportment also badly denigrated the university and significantly sullied its broad reputation seems to have been entirely irrelevant to Williams.

In fairness, he was a good coach, but only insofar as getting reasonable on-court performance from his players was concerned. However, that is only one facet of his responsibilities and -- in the long-run -- one of secondary importance.
    Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

Good coach and fierce competitor? I guess.

Charitable winner? Not much; I always found even his compliments toward defeated opponents perfunctory and obligatory. Even discounting the necessary coach-speak factor, he just never seemed to like or respect anyone.

Gracious loser? Not that I recall; nobody likes to lose, but he just seemed always ready to come unglued and to my mind generally was in the "we didn't lose we beat ourselves" mode.

Influence on the conference and the game atmosphere? I gladly refer to 4decadedukie's comments above which are spot on. He could have done something, really anything, to reign in the nonsense in College Park. The fact that he basically ignored and tacitly approved the cage-fight atmosphere for me pretty much offsets whatever he did on the bench. He stayed way too removed from the unfortunate fray he did much to create.

Sweat Gary Sweat!

I can appreciate anyone who shows this level of passion and commitment. To me Gary was the epitome of "man I hate your team, but I can't help but respect you".

And just so there is no confusion, no, I will never come close to letting myself feel that way about kerlina. GTHC!

How about a coach who believes in the critical and fundamental concept of the student-athlete, who recognizes that for almost all players academic performance will be far more important throughout life's long decades than athleticism, and who does not encourage fan vulgarity, obscenity, assault, arson, intimidation, lawlessness and mayhem?

Look, nobody around here approves of the above actions by Maryland fans. I have been very harsh about their fans' behavior in multiple previous posts and I do think it reflects badly on Gary. But holding Gary Williams responsible for all of it is ludicrous. Do we hold pro coaches responsible for fans' behavior? Comcast is not Cameron, populated nearly exclusively by undergrads and older affluent donors. It's a large venue situated in a competitive sports market- a lot of people buying tickets would not tolerate, for example, Gary Williams stopping a game to chastise fans.

And ask Coach K how important support from his athletic department has been to his success at Duke. Gary, at least for 15 years or so, didn't have that. Coach K is able to set the tone with fans and media in large part because his AD has his back. Sure, Gary could make announcements and write letters to Maryland fans. Without strong support from the athletic department and administration, it's so much shouting in the wind.

I'm not holding Gary Williams up as a model of how to run a program. I am saying he is one hell of a good basketball coach. He is among the handful (plus or minus a couple fingers) of most successful coaches ever in arguably the most storied college basketball conference. His teams have always played hard, smart basketball and his departure comes at a terrible time for the conference, when many programs are rebuilding and/or feature untested coaches. Saying his departure is somehow good for the ACC is ridiculous.

I for one will miss Gary, if for nothing else because I loved the sweat chants. Something tells me so did Dana O'Neil. Check out the intro to her blog post about Gary retiring:
    Gary Williams wore his passion on his sleeves.

And under them.

And on his shirt. And on his brow.

Yet while his sweat glands may have been compromised, Williams never was.
    And then I love this caption under the picture in the article:
    Gary Williams: An impassioned, old-school coach with a sparkling résumé, who had a tendency to sweat a lot.
    If that doesn't sum up the man, I don't know what will!

Why is this job such a better job than the NC State one? I'm not sure it is.

The proximity to Duke and UNC is overstated...If an elite player is near your school, it doesn't matter whether it's 12 miles away or 275 (as in the case of UMD), you still have to compete with Duke/UNC/Kentucky/etc.

UMD has more recent success, but even that success was short lived and 7-8 years ago. Since then, they haven't accomplished much. NC State has less to show for on the court recently, but has recruited better, and has more overally history.

If there's one school that is measured by how they succeed against Duke/UNC as much as NC State, it's UMD. It's maybe a marginally better job, but it's no huge step up.

I certainly couldn't see someone like Shaka Smart or Sean Miller leave for UMD but not NC State.